Source~ What JD’s Doing

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

IMO, it’s a rock and a hard place. I don’t think he can get a big return for Adams because the one team foolish enough to trade a first rounder for him is about to burn their cap space on Dak Prescott, and other teams with functioning GMs aren’t going to want to pay a strong safety $16+ either, especially giving up picks for the right to do so. Presuming Adams’ agent pushes the issue, Douglas has these options:

1. Cave and overpay Adams, who has minimal to zero leverage.

2. Tell Adams to pound sand and dare him to hold out.

3. Trade Adams to some other team looking to move a big player (Cleveland/OBJ-ish)

4. Trade Adams and get back a package of lesser picks. A two and four in 2020, plus a third in 2021. Something to that effect.

I'll take option number two and make him play out his contract and pick up the option year.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

This is not even an issue this offseason. 

If Douglas decides that he likes Adams, and wants to extend him at what he considers a fair price, fine. But it will not be done because of fear of hold out. That is not a leverage point for him at this time.

Agree but let's not naive and think that Adams isn't already starting to pave this road.  Until JD can show skill he can replace star players with "close enough" players (like the Steelers did with AB and Bell) this is going to be an ongoing issue.  "Fair price" is subjective when it comes to things like marketing seats and jersey sales...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, slats said:

It's unusual in these parts, but it almost seems like the Jets are targeting a type of OL and executing that plan signing three athletic guys for reasonable deals before the draft where they'll certainly bring in some more. Before free agency, there was a lot of talk about fixing the OL almost exclusively thru the draft. JD's now given himself some flexibility and has plenty of room to make more moves. 

If JD trades down from #11 as his first act in the draft, I'll be pleased. If his free agency dealings are any indication, I'd expect him to get fair value in such a trade, too. 

JD is doing exactly what I thought he would do, mixing in tough vets with a guy with some upside they can move like Fant, and he'll get a couple of guys in the draft. There was no way in hell he was going 3 rooks on his Oline. 

41 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

So am i and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a draft of something like Ruggs in the 1st, an OT in the 2nd and someone like Pittman in the 3rd.

I can only see that if the big 4 OT’s are off the board. Otherwise, we’re definitely going tackle and we should. 

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

When exactly should the roster be better than the worst in the league? Year 3?

im not saying is should be now - just that we shouldn’t be congratulating the guy for a downgraded roster.  Which is what you and many others are doing. 

im giving him time. I’ve said many times, I don’t think he’s done a bad job.  I just don’t see this offensive roster any better than the one that finished last in the league.  

The night is darkest before the dawn.  It takes a helluva lot more than 3 days to turn around a roster after 5 consecutive awful drafts (6 when you count the Idzik 12).  

If we have a bad draft in year 1 of the Douglas regime, feel free to get the pitchforks out.  There's so much talent on the board at positions we need, there will be no excuse. 

But hammering him over free agency?  And a free agency period that is actually off to a decent start?  And going exactly the kind of direction people like me predicted (targeting 2nd and 3rd tier guys)?  lol.  No one wants to come here, lots of other, better teams have cap space, and no one fixes their roster in free agency.  

• Upvote 2

I have 35 holes in my boat and a finite amount of cork to plug some of those holes. Do I whittle my cork in large pieces, thus showing everyone I know that there are holes, and they can see the huge stopper I created? Or, do I whittle that cork into manageable pieces so that they just get the job done, and I can plug more holes?

IMO, it’s a rock and a hard place. I don’t think he can get a big return for Adams because the one team foolish enough to trade a first rounder for him is about to burn their cap space on Dak Prescott, and other teams with functioning GMs aren’t going to want to pay a strong safety $16+ either, especially giving up picks for the right to do so. Presuming Adams’ agent pushes the issue, Douglas has these options:

1. Cave and overpay Adams, who has minimal to zero leverage. - This is the one scenario that definitely won't happen

2. Tell Adams to pound sand and dare him to hold out. - Very possible, but he'll say it nicely. Not desirable since it lowers JD's leverage in option 4.

3. Trade Adams to some other team looking to move a big player (Cleveland/OBJ-ish) Possible but would probably have a major cap impact(with adams still on his rookie deal) to bring back a big time veteran

4. Trade Adams and get back a package of lesser picks. A two and four in 2020, plus a third in 2021. Something to that effect. - Most likely as this works for both parties. Also, it will be so tempting for JD to pull the trigger on this option with a roster devoid of talent and a draft loaded with explosive, talented weapons and OL. This could be his best chance to jump start the rebuild.

I am not a Adams hater, I think he is a good player, but if he continues to demand to be paid as of a top 5-10 player in in the league(per his Donald, Brady comparison) he won't be a Jet.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jgb said:

There is a lot of green space between "do nothing" and "browns." I'm suggesting JD occupy some of that.

Signing 2 new OL (at least 1 who is basically a lock starter) and bringing back Lewis and Poole in the first 3 days doesn't qualify as part of that green space?  

15 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Someone may actually realize that positions 15-30 on the roster need to have at least some reinforcement before you sell out on positions 5-14.

Douglas is behaving like a guy who has a pretty lucrative six-year contract and knows he doesn't have to, and probably can't, fix everything in one off season. Roll some cap space forward, maybe line up a comp pick, all while adding some depth, not the worst plan in his first free agency. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Our last two All Pro players, Mevis and Adams are both playing from the same script..

It's Mevi$ and soon-to-be JaMoney Adam$. Nothing turns Jets fans away from our star players faster than a big contract.

33 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Signing 2 new OL (at least 1 who is basically a lock starter) and bringing back Lewis and Poole in the first 3 days doesn't qualify as part of that green space?  

If he can draft well all is forgiven. If not, pitchforks.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Yeah after Millen whiffed on like 4 1st round WRs

I think both were horrible but it would irritate me if I was a lions fan that Millen still gets announcer jobs 

he whiffed on Megatron? was Roy Williams a bust?

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I have 35 holes in my boat and a finite amount of cork to plug some of those holes. Do I whittle my cork in large pieces, thus showing everyone I know that there are holes, and they can see the huge stopper I created? Or, do I whittle that cork into manageable pieces so that they just get the job done, and I can plug more holes?

I'd use my sizable peenie.

Imagine being upset about not paying a maximum dollar amount to Graham Glasgow or Joe Thuney. 

I lived in New England the last 35 years, left last April, I saw every Patriot game played last year & I never once heard, "oh my, Joe Thuney is an incredible guard, let's go back & watch this hole he created". 

Honestly, until people started making lists of free agents, I had no freaking idea who Glasgow was? When I 1st heard the name I immediately thought he was part of the Arts & Crafts movement.

• Haha 3

• Everyone has to live their lives.  I don't think Glasgow was compelled to come to the Jets, and we were not paying $11mm for him.  He wanted to play in Denver and not NJ.  Don't understand the schemes, etc., but Denver appears to have chosen Glasgow over McGovern who was already there.  Not a great sign, but I am still optimistic.
  • The Jets have a bottom 5 roster and middle of the pack cap space.  Of course they were not giving out big contracts.  I think they also value the guys already on the roster more than the fanbase did.  Their contracts do not look that bad compared to new ones, and unfortunately they have no bargaining position.  After teams give out their money, guys like Avery, Winters and Roberts will be made to restructure.  Tough world.  
  • I would rather pay Conklin $14mm than Fant $10mm, but my guess is that JD saw a high possibility for a better, cheaper RT to be available in the draft, and he did not want to commit to Conklin beyond year 1.  
  • We need a CB.  The roster is terrible.  We need an EDGE too, but I feel better about GW scheming for that. 
  • Upvote 1