PFF: Jets in danger of wasting Sam Darnold

Just now, Jets723 said:

Not it’s not accurate.  FA is still going in and we still have the draft.  Can’t rebuild the whole offense in a week 

I couldn't have been more clear in my post, using the word "currently"  

As of right now - everything else is an unknown - it is accurate.

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

This is my biggest concern with Joe D's approach. I understand what he is trying to do but at the same time, I worry that we are not putting Sam in the best position to succeed at a critical time in his development/career.

And what does that look like?

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I couldn't have been more clear in my post, using the word "currently"  

As of right now - everything else is an unknown - it is accurate.

That would have been true regardless of how the offseason had gone to date.  

Oh, right, I forgot that a spending spree to get Jack Conklin, Clowney, Chris Harris, and "plenty" of other elite talent out there would have fixed everything.  My bad.  

I think there are two stages to winning with a QB. The first stage is the rookie contract years. We wasted those years. It’s over. It’s too late to make noise in 2020. We are too far behind. Maybe 2021. 

The second stage is TBD. It’s way too premature to say Darnold won’t be a good QB during his prime years. If we sign Robby, we are honestly an above average WR and an above average OT away from having a solid group around him. We still need depth at WR. But to say he’s done, is premature. 

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

This is my biggest concern with Joe D's approach. I understand what he is trying to do but at the same time, I worry that we are not putting Sam in the best position to succeed at a critical time in his development/career.

We cry that the way to build a team is in the trenches.  OL 

Its been addressed.  

Next up you would think are the WRs

One day at a time.  Whats the concern, the off season has just started 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its been addressed.  

Absolutely. Patience is needed.  Can’t rebuild the entire OL and WR corps in just a few days.  This is a process that will go into next season.  The draft is the most important thing while adding pieces like we have begun doing

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

The Jets have failed to set Sam Darnold up for success

Finding a franchise quarterback is everything in today’s NFL, but once you have that player, he needs help to be able to function. That’s the situation the New York Jets are facing with Sam Darnold. There are few passers capable of performing with nothing at all around them — most require some form of supporting cast — and the best supplemental pieces can propel even marginal quarterbacks into looking like top-10 players.

The 2017 quarterback draft class was an impressive group that saw five taken in the first round with varying degrees of good or bad situations, and watching the contrast in how their respective teams have built around them has been fascinating.

Josh Rosen’s NFL career may already be all but over thanks to landing in back-to-back horrendous situations that gave him simply no shot of success, while the Baltimore Ravens and Buffalo Bills have been impressively building around Lamar Jacksonand Josh Allen, respectively. And those are the two players most neutral observers feel the most confident about going forward.

The Cleveland Browns have tried to assemble a quality team around Baker Mayfield, but the first attempt went poorly enough that the entire regime changed this offseason, and it is yet to be determined how the second iteration will fare.

That leaves Darnold and the Jets, and it’s difficult to look at his outlook in 2020 with any kind of optimism because of the pieces currently around him.

A quarterback's supporting cast essentially boils down to three main areas: receivers, pass protection and scheme/playcalling. Currently, it’s difficult to see any of those areas helping rather than hindering his development.

RECEIVERS

Last season, Le’Veon Bell was the Jets’ highest-graded receiver and is, you know, a running back. Robby Anderson has consistently been one of the best deep threats in football over recent years despite not having much to work with in terms of quarterback play or an offense to set it up, yet he looks poised to walk in free agency.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-new-york-jets-in-danger-wasting-sam-darnold

1516D521-88E2-4C98-87A6-14E6C2B5AABE.jpeg

1st off, PFF just doesn't like the Jets, and it is not all on the Jets who are 1 setting him up better for success now and will continue to do so, and 2 it was not the Jets fault he went out and got Mono that set back his progress by half a season in 2019 since for 3-4 games after he came back you saw he was not right. If he doesn't get Mono we win at least 3 more games and make the playoffs because he missed 3 games and would have played better in 3 more if from the beginning was in. We all know without the start of Mono we beat the Bills and likely get in the playoffs over them.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

We all know without the start of Mono we beat the Bills and likely get in the playoffs over them.

No, we don't all know that.  If the Bills had lost to us in Week 1 they wouldn't have rested their starters in Week 17.  

This is the SAR I argument and its a silly one.

• Upvote 1

Just curious, are Sam and Bakers careers done?

Most observers are more confident in a running QB who has problems when asked to throw the ball over say Sam and Baker who's issues are normal developmental cycles and aren't covered up by playing on a much better team?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, we don't all know that.  If the Bills had lost to us in Week 1 they wouldn't have rested their starters in Week 17.  

This is the SAR I argument and its a silly one.

And a healthy Jet team playing a healthy Bills team won on week one the would of lost to them their second go round?  

Guaranteed?  Maybe, even probably isn't guaranteed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For the most part, QB's can either play or they can't. 

I can only think of maybe 2 QB's who were "ruined" by the team that drafted them:  David Carr and Joey Harrington.  And both of those guys may well have sucked from the beginning anyways.  

For the most part, yes.  Darnold has been in an extraordinarily bad situation.  It has been some of the worst OL play I have seen in 30 years of watching the NFL.

Players like Josh Rosen and Dwayne Haskins come to mind as recent examples.  Obviously there is no way to know for certain, but on better teams, they very well could have been average starters.  Put Rosen or Haskins on the Jets the past two seasons, and there is little doubt in mind that they both crumble and are widely labeled as busts already.  This is the reason why I still have hope for Darnold.  He managed to hold his own under terrible circumstances.  Not many can do it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Sam Darnold = Mark Sanchez ; sorry guys .

You gotta be joking...right!?  If Sam Darnold had the talent Around him that Mark Sanchez had we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Mark Sanchez had an amazing team around him for his first two seasons. Then Rex Ryan got a hard on for nnamdi asomhuga, and we lost players who were essential to the team and locker room.  Sanchez can’t hold Darnold‘s Jock strap!

33 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its been addressed.  

I didn't say he isn't building the team the right way. He is. But this is a crucial point in Sam's development and we haven't surrounded him with a strong O-Line, and weapons on offense which is the point of the article. A lot of that is Macc's fault because this stuff should have been being built before, and definitely right after we drafted Sam Darnold. But the situation is what it is.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not sure what else JD can do to help Darnold in the short-term.  The WR FA market was slim from the start, and he's done mostly all he can do to beef up the pass protection.  

Meanwhile, Darnold is entering year 3.  It's sink or swim time.  Either he can play or he can't.  Sanchez had all the weppinnzzz you could ask for and still sucked.  It's up to the QB to make the talent around him better, within reason.  

I'm not laying the blame on Joe D. But the situation is what it is. Darnold is entering his 3rd year and we don't have a lot of weapons around him. We have signed a couple quality lineman in McGovern and Van Roten and are taking chances on some others like Lewis and Fant. It is what it is. That's not Joe D's fault. He inherited what he inherited. But the bottomline is that we have not built a strong team around Sam.

6 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I didn't say he isn't building the team the right way. He is. But this is a crucial point in Sam's development and we haven't surrounded him with a strong O-Line, and weapons on offense which is the point of the article. A lot of that is Macc's fault because this stuff should have been being built before, and definitely right after we drafted Sam Darnold. But the situation is what it is.

And my reply will be hes made moves to improve the OL and the WRs will have to wait, there weren't any real options out there yet and there will be in the draft.  Thats all

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'm not laying the blame on Joe D. But the situation is what it is. Darnold is entering his 3rd year and we don't have a lot of weapons around him. We have signed a couple quality lineman in McGovern and Van Roten and are taking chances on some others like Lewis and Fant. It is what it is. That's not Joe D's fault. He inherited what he inherited. But the bottomline is that we have not built a strong team around Sam.

Hes been here all of two years.

We were in a position to get him because we sucked, that's how it usually works.

All in due time

3 hours ago, lauderdale jet said:

he doesnt have enough weapons around him....the article isnt off base at all.

Only Jets Fans can defend one of the worst OL in the NFL, horrific WRs, suspect play calling and then claim that the writer is somehow biased for pointing out the obvious.....

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Only Jets Fans can defend one of the worst OL in the NFL, horrific WRs, suspect play calling and then claim that the writer is somehow biased for pointing out the obvious.....

No one is saying the article was wrong about last season.  But PFF is clearly ignoring the moves that have been made in less than 2 weeks.  

It was silly timing.  The article is weeks/months late.

• Upvote 1

I see a lot of hate from you guys on this PFF article. But Why? What did they say that was false? Baker has ODB, Allen has diggs, Murray has Hopkins and Fitz. Everyone is building around there young qb.

And who is Darnold throwing the ball to?...

Jamison Crowder

Vyncint Smyth

Braxton berrios

& Josh doctson

This is easily the worst wr group in the league

So PFF hit the nail on the head IMO. This will be Sams 3rd year and he has no weapons, except for an over the hill Bell.

The only way I see them upgrading the wrs is through the draft. Douglas needs to draft 2 WRs in the first 3 rounds. 

• Upvote 3

I think the OL moves have been good, not great, so far. I agree with several on here about needing a very good left tackle that is ready to start.

However, the one thing I'm most concerned about is getting Sam a receiver with a wide catch radius that can also go up and get the damn ball. In addition, I'd want one that can step in and start right away. Historically, rookie receivers have a tough time acclimating to the NFL (article source below). Very few have reached 1000 yards. It also takes a long time for most to gain the trust of the QB, so a throw can be made before the receiver makes his break. That confidence is tough to come by, and seldom happens for a QB with a rookie receiver.

Now that Robbie is gone, the only proven, reliable asset for Sam is Crowder. He's been very good for us, a solid underneath guy and obvious chemistry with Sam. Griffin flashed until getting injured, who knows what's going to go on with Enunwa this year, and hopefully Herndon bounces back. No one else on the roster is worth mentioning for this conversation. But we still want that guy who is a 6'+ WR and can be the better player vs a defender on any given throw. Even if we draft WR at 11, the chances are stacked against that guy being a #1 receiver for us this year. Unfortunately there are no options in free agency to step in like this. I'd certainly be open for a trade here, but not for draft picks. 

Stick with the plan, draft a lot of OL, a future receiver, maybe an OLB. My main point is we shouldn't expect #1 WR output from the draft this year. 

https://fansided.com/2019/05/30/rooke-receivers-fantasy-football-nkeal-harry/

I don’t see a lie here. Of all the young QBs in the league I don’t think there is one being wasted more than Sam. Everybody putting together good Olines and WR’s for the young QBs.  We signing George Fant’s and 5 game wonders .. maybe JD has a plan with the madness . Trust the process 

That writer is 100% spot on. He didn't say the Jets have ruined Sammy. He said they are in danger of doing it. And the fact is, they ARE in danger of ruining him. If this situation were being handled best, the Jets would have the supporting cast that Mark Sanchez had. Rex Ryan set Sanchez up for success. However, Mark Sanchez sucked and no amount of supporting cast was ever going to change that. If Sammy had that supporting cast he'd be flying high right now. He'd look like the best young QB in football. Jets management needs to pull their heads out of their a$$es and start drafting better. This team sucks and can't support Sammy because Jets management had been drafting like sh*t since 2008.