PFF: Jets in danger of wasting Sam Darnold

The Jets have failed to set Sam Darnold up for success

Finding a franchise quarterback is everything in today’s NFL, but once you have that player, he needs help to be able to function. That’s the situation the New York Jets are facing with Sam Darnold. There are few passers capable of performing with nothing at all around them — most require some form of supporting cast — and the best supplemental pieces can propel even marginal quarterbacks into looking like top-10 players.

The 2017 quarterback draft class was an impressive group that saw five taken in the first round with varying degrees of good or bad situations, and watching the contrast in how their respective teams have built around them has been fascinating.

Josh Rosen’s NFL career may already be all but over thanks to landing in back-to-back horrendous situations that gave him simply no shot of success, while the Baltimore Ravens and Buffalo Bills have been impressively building around Lamar Jacksonand Josh Allen, respectively. And those are the two players most neutral observers feel the most confident about going forward.

The Cleveland Browns have tried to assemble a quality team around Baker Mayfield, but the first attempt went poorly enough that the entire regime changed this offseason, and it is yet to be determined how the second iteration will fare.

That leaves Darnold and the Jets, and it’s difficult to look at his outlook in 2020 with any kind of optimism because of the pieces currently around him.

A quarterback's supporting cast essentially boils down to three main areas: receivers, pass protection and scheme/playcalling. Currently, it’s difficult to see any of those areas helping rather than hindering his development.

RECEIVERS

Last season, Le’Veon Bell was the Jets’ highest-graded receiver and is, you know, a running back. Robby Anderson has consistently been one of the best deep threats in football over recent years despite not having much to work with in terms of quarterback play or an offense to set it up, yet he looks poised to walk in free agency.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-new-york-jets-in-danger-wasting-sam-darnold

1516D521-88E2-4C98-87A6-14E6C2B5AABE.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

When math nerds try to branch off into opinion pieces it never goes well. Stick to the slide ruler, Poindexter 

I was just about to post that thought as well.  PFF opinion pieces probably aren't in their best interest if they want their grades to be taken seriously.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

This is my biggest concern with Joe D's approach. I understand what he is trying to do but at the same time, I worry that we are not putting Sam in the best position to succeed at a critical time in his development/career.

Not sure what else JD can do to help Darnold in the short-term.  The WR FA market was slim from the start, and he's done mostly all he can do to beef up the pass protection.  

Meanwhile, Darnold is entering year 3.  It's sink or swim time.  Either he can play or he can't.  Sanchez had all the weppinnzzz you could ask for and still sucked.  It's up to the QB to make the talent around him better, within reason.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

pff is rapidly approaching espn status.  i guess i had to reread the piece.  it's a good piece about darnold but doesn't seem to grasp the changes douglas has already made.  the jets are getting the pieces in place.  they still need a really good receiver and that guy should be available from the draft robbie or no robbie.

• Upvote 1

I agree, the Jets are in danger of wasting Sam Darnold.

Lesser quarterbacks would have already been ruined in my opinion.  The Jets offensive line has been an abomination for Darnold's entire career thus far.  The skill players around him have been among the worst in the league.  He has certainly been rattled at times.

The good news is that Darnold has been able to hold his own and he hasn't completely crumbled ... yet.  It is imperative that the Jets build a solid offensive line and add reliable skill players around him soon.  This needs to be the number 1 priority, and Darnold can still become a top tier quarterback.

The premise of this piece is totally bogus. It's time for Sam to step up. He's a veteran now, who should elevate the play of the whole team if he is to be regarded as a FQB. I believe he can do it and am excited to watch him try. The door is wide open and it feels like all the pieces are steadily coming together. 

• Upvote 4

Any time your GM does nothing in the oline dept and nothing in the WR weapon dept before drafting the QB you risk wasting a QB talent.

It's been proven time and again, guys who look promising and get drafted to teams that ignore the lines get ass kicked.

Medium to meh QBs that get drafted to already built teams do well early.  (Dak prescott, mark sanchez)

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I agree, the Jets are in danger of wasting Sam Darnold.

Lesser quarterbacks would have already been ruined in my opinion. 

For the most part, QB's can either play or they can't. 

I can only think of maybe 2 QB's who were "ruined" by the team that drafted them:  David Carr and Joey Harrington.  And both of those guys may well have sucked from the beginning anyways.  

1 minute ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Sam Darnold = Mark Sanchez ; sorry guys .

This I don't agree with.  Sam Darnold is definitely better than Mark Sanchez.  But, there's a whole lot of shades of not good, below average, average, above average, in between Mark Sanchez and franchise QB.

• Upvote 3

I hate PFF, but I don't think this is too far off.

Darnold's supporting cast - Bell, Crowder, Smith, Quincy, Herndon, Fant, Lewis, McGovern, Roten, Edoga

How many teams have a worst supporting cast? Probably just the Redskins and that is still debatable. 

That is simply not acceptable as an organization with a young QB.

It's not Joe's fault because Macc put him in a tight spot, but it will still impact Darnold.

The Jets had plenty of Cap space and Draft Capital to fix the problem.

Looking back, the Jet's might have been better off trading back in 2019 instead of picking Quinnen.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Sam Darnold = Mark Sanchez ; sorry guys .

You are probably just yanking my chain but I think they are different kinds of players.  Can't prove it but I think Darnold would have lifted those 09 and 10 teams with that OL in front of him.  And Sanchez would have looked a lot like Falk did last year with last year's team's OL.  Sanchez just wasn't as good a player and that will become especially apparent this year.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, hamat711 said:

Darnold's supporting cast - Bell, Crowder, Smith, Quincy, Herndon, Fant, Lewis, McGovern, Roten, Edoga

How many teams have a worst supporting cast? Probably just the Redskins and that is still debatable. 

It's not Joe's fault because Macc put him in a tight spot, but it will still impact Darnold.

Then again we don;t know because we've never seen them play together nor is FA or the draft over. 

It's like looking into the oven 10 min after putting a soufflé in there and saying... that thing sucks.   

• Upvote 1

The Jets had plenty of Cap space and Draft Capital to fix the problem.

Looking back, the Jet's might have been better off trading back in 2019 instead of picking Quinnen.
Sounds like you are already making excuses for Sam before the season starts. Free agency is not over yet and we still have the draft to add weapons but honestly the cast can not be worse than last year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Sounds like you are already making excuses for Sam before the season starts. Free agency is not over yet and we still have the draft to add weapons but honestly the cast can not be worse than last year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

This guy is a bills fans. Openly. Came from another forum. Openly.

the last thing he is doing is making excuses for Sam before the season starts.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

GIF by printmeggin

I mean everything is click bait - that's their job...

But this article isn't wrong.  Like it or not, every Jet fan on here knows that.

Bringing in average to below average Olinemen (which sadly is an upgrade) and downgraded offensive weapons is still leaving Sam in a rough spot.

Currently that's where the roster is.

Now, if they bring back Robby, draft a stud LT, draft a stud WR, draft a RB in the 3rd or 4th....And get a little lucky that some of the gambles JD is taking pay-off that might change things.

But currently this article is 100% accurate.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I mean everything is click bait - that's their job...

But this article isn't wrong.  Like it or not, every Jet fan on here knows that.

Bringing in average to below average Olinemen (which sadly is an upgrade) and downgraded offensive weapons is still leaving Sam in a rough spot.

Currently that's where the roster is.

Now, if they bring back Robby, draft a stud LT, draft a stud WR, draft a RB in the 3rd or 4th....And get a little lucky that some of the gambles JD is taking pay-off that might change things.

But currently this article is 100% accurate.

Not it’s not accurate.  FA is still going in and we still have the draft.  Can’t rebuild the whole offense in a week 

• Upvote 4