Warford:

- On the turf a lot

- Had a tough time finding/blocking LB when climbing to the 
second level

- Touch slow when asked to block someone not directly in front
of him

- Gave up too much ground and allowed the front of the pocket
to compress

He's a good player even with the bad game you watched, But some of the specifics you mentioned are why I don't see JD being all that interested in him. We are not desperate after JD went out and began the construction of an actual OL unit over just collecting guys who have done well at the positions in a singular fashion. I don't know how great of a fit Warford really would be here. 

Personally I like the idea of bringing in Athletic, Versatile guys who play smart penalty free ball. A collection of those types will be much more successful than just signing a guy or two who Made a few pro bowls with a different skillset.  Warford is the exact type of player the Jets would have pounced on in years past. And who would argue bringing him in with his successful background? 

Having a GM that actually understands the finer points of the game may just pay dividends we thought exclusive the Pats, Steelers, Ravens and the like.  I look forward to seeing an actual OL unit on the field in front of Sam. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This. With an outside chance Clarke impresses enough to start or at least be next man up.

Was also wondering if Edoga can move inside?...is he an option at guard?

everyone seems to have given up on him after he failed to make the pro bowl as a rookie but he showed some flashes

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I believe Van Roten and Lewis would be our starting guards right now.

GVR is versatile but the bulk of his starting experience is at left guard and center. He has almost no starts at RG.

Alex Lewis also is primarily a LG who played some T early. 

Brian Winters is the most experienced RG on the roster, until they cut him, he's likely the starter. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

GVR is versatile but the bulk of his starting experience is at left guard and center. He has almost no starts at RG.

Brian Winters is the most experienced RG on the roster, until they cut him, he's likely the starter. 

Good points. I doubt they move Becton inside for year 1.

@JoJoTownsell1 suggested Clarke could be moved inside as well which I think could be a possibility.

Still not sure I can see Winters being our starter week We talk about Warford not being agile enough for a zone scheme. Not sure Winters really is either.

5 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Was also wondering if Edoga can move inside?...is he an option at guard?

everyone seems to have given up on him after he failed to make the pro bowl as a rookie but he showed some flashes

His strengths are his ability to move and his long arms.   Not strong lower body    Not a road grader type    Doubt he'd play well inside

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Edge is a player who has good athleticism but doesnt have great play strength.  He would be an absolutely terrible fit as a guard.

College OTs sometimes project to guard if they have shorter arms/wingspans or dont have the athleticism to handle NFL speed rushers.  Someone like Cameron Clark who is a good athlete and also happens to be very strong at the point of attack is someone who projects to be a potentially excellent guard.

Just because a player can't handle playing OT at the NFL level, doesnt mean they can just play guard.

Edoga has a history at guard though, it's not a new position for him.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, KRL said:

Watching the NO/SF game and have to say I'm not impressed with
Warford:

- On the turf a lot

- Had a tough time finding/blocking LB when climbing to the 
second level

- Touch slow when asked to block someone not directly in front
of him

- Gave up too much ground and allowed the front of the pocket
to compress

Now go watch Fant against SF

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, bitonti said:

What about Harrison? Doesn't he have some guard experience? Any chance he can beat out of Lewis/Winters?

34 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Good points. I doubt they move Becton inside for year 1.

@JoJoTownsell1 suggested Clarke could be moved inside as well which I think could be a possibility.

Still not sure I can see Winters being our starter week We talk about Warford not being agile enough for a zone scheme. Not sure Winters really is either.

Cameron Clark will be moved inside to be the LG long term replacement for Lewis. 

they want Becton and Clark to continue their cohesion (they trained together under Duke M.) 

but I suspect 2020 will be a redshirt year for Clark in terms of actual playing time 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, bitonti said:

barring widespread injuries, the turk will visit harrison at the end of preseason

Andrews will backup McGovern, and GVR can snap as well 

I haven't studied Harrison at all but I figured he'd at least be good depth with his experience with Sam. Is he that bad? Damn, what a difference a year makes.

The OL will be fascinating to watch this season. It has the potential to be anywhere from very solid (if not truly good, yet), to pretty bad. It's still thin up there with lots of question marks. 

I think Lewis is really just a good depth guy who can fill in anywhere along the line, but gets exposed if he has to start regularly. Probably G starters right now are GVR and Winters, but that could change quickly.

only thing really to do with Warford is not seeing bringing him in as a major answer to the performance of our OL.

Question marks at who will be playing at least 4 of the 5 pieces.  Uncertainty (or expected average to below average) talent level at most of the OL spots, much of OL performance as a whole base on cohesion between those 5 moving parts.  Potential limited training camps.

I do not expect good play from our OL to start the season.  Hopefully they answer these issues quickly and continue to improve as the season moving forward.  Silver lining is our OL was so bad last season that there really isn't much worse that this group could be.

15 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Who do you think our starting 5 on the OL are? 

LT Becton, LG Van Roten/Lewis, C McGovern, RG Lewis/Van Roten, RT Fant. 

Versatility is something Joe Douglas values, and includes players on the o-line who can play multiple positions. 

50 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

The OL will be fascinating to watch this season. It has the potential to be anywhere from very solid (if not truly good, yet), to pretty bad. It's still thin up there with lots of question marks. 

I think Lewis is really just a good depth guy who can fill in anywhere along the line, but gets exposed if he has to start regularly. Probably G starters right now are GVR and Winters, but that could change quickly.

You guys all seem to think more highly of Van Roten than me.  I think Lewis will be ahead of him on the depth chart.  Their contracts are similar, but Lewis is getting a bit more.  There is no way they are keeping Winters around unless he is going to start.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You guys all seem to think more highly of Van Roten than me.  I think Lewis will be ahead of him on the depth chart.  Their contracts are similar, but Lewis is getting a bit more.  There is no way they are keeping Winters around unless he is going to start.

Brian Winters has 79 career starts at RG. All in the AFC East. 

GVR is 30 years oldbut has only started 27 games, most at LG and C. 0 career starts at RG 

Lewis has only started 30 games, most at LG and a handful at RT his rookie season. 0 career starts at RG 

Conor McDermott has more starts at RG than these guys. 

obviously guys can switch but the coaches appear to have made a decision to keep Winters and changing 3 starters is enough change for now 

4 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

His strengths are his ability to move and his long arms.   Not strong lower body    Not a road grader type    Doubt he'd play well inside

I’m no expert on o-line specifics (doubt many are) but doesn’t the mooted move to a more spread blocking scheme change the dynamic slightly on the level of athleticism required?
I’m guessing here but I’d have thought that traditional road-grader type is less likely to be a fit in our new scheme and that a guy like Edoga, who apparently does have OG experience, might well be able to slide inside and flourish.
One reason why a guy like Warford doesn’t make sense perhaps?

1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

I’m no expert on o-line specifics (doubt many are) but doesn’t the mooted move to a more spread blocking scheme change the dynamic slightly on the level of athleticism required?
I’m guessing here but I’d have thought that traditional road-grader type is less likely to be a fit in our new scheme and that a guy like Edoga, who apparently does have OG experience, might well be able to slide inside and flourish.
One reason why a guy like Warford doesn’t make sense perhaps?

Theres some truth to what you say particularly in run blocking but they still need to be able to anchor when a big d lineman bull rushes them    They need to keep the pocket clean so Sam has a chance

On 5/19/2020 at 10:04 AM, bitonti said:

Only reason Winters is a possibility to start is there will be a very shortened preseason and TC and limited time to learn plays