Are the Giants or Jets more popular in Bay Ridge?

I used to stay out in Bay Ridge for some summers, but that was before I got into the NFL. I was just wondering if Bay Ridge is considered to be a Giants or Jets area? What a rough ratio is. I lived in an apartment at Bay Ridge Ave and Fort Hamilton - would that area be a Jets or Giants pocket?

Thanks.

53 minutes ago, neurotik said:

I used to stay out in Bay Ridge for some summers, but that was before I got into the NFL. I was just wondering if Bay Ridge is considered to be a Giants or Jets area? What a rough ratio is. I lived in an apartment at Bay Ridge Ave and Fort Hamilton - would that area be a Jets or Giants pocket?

Thanks.

tenor.gif?itemid=9002020

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Based on the location, I would say that they are followers of the other futbol. The few Italians left in the area are so brain dead I doubt they root for anything but a shot of Sambuca in their coffee.

Still better than a coors light with breakfast 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, neurotik said:

Thanks.

Hey, what's up.  First, welcome to JN and thanks for a very interesting first post/thread.  Max' welcoming cookie tray and basket of assorted hand soaps and pomades should be at your door soon.  In case they have not already been shipped, please let his assistant, Cal Sprigs, know if you have any food sensitivities as well as issues with parahydroxybenzoates or other ingredients related to cosmetics.

I grew up on Staten Island in the 60s & 70s.  Once we were 18 (drinking age back then), hung out often in Bay Ridge.  Think the Verrazzano (note new, correct spelling) was a quarter at the time.   Almost everyone I knew was a Giants' fan.  Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer to your query.

Have fun on the site.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Nominee, 2020 JetNation Most Esoteric Thread Award.   With the advent of the COVID-19 pandemic, Max will preside/host the event via group Zoom.

Lol. I was going to ask " Where is Bay Ridge?"

Btw, if you're all curious as to why I'm asking such an obscure question it's cause I'm looking into cheering for an NFL team in New York (I  live in Toronto and don't like the Bills - but I  love NYC) and I need to choose between the Jets and the Giants. 

• Upvote 1

Bay ridge is very chinese... there are also hipsters moving in there Bc it’s cheaper than bed stuy, crown hts, and bushwick.

these ppl are not even from NYC. They are just as or more likely to be colts fans 

• Upvote 1

20-30 years ago this question would have made more sense,  Best guess based on older times is it it's an even split.  I think Brooklyn/SI was even, while Queens and LI leaned Jets, because the Jets had played in Queens and practiced on LI for many years.  Once you crossed over to Manhattan & The Bronx and points north/west it flipped to a majority of Giants fans. (There may have been a lingering exception in the Peekskill, NY and Bear Mountain area, as the Titans/Jets had held training camp there in the 1960s)

But who knows if those norms hold up nowadays, or if Bay Ridge is all white people who grew up in a suburb.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, neurotik said:

Btw, if you're all curious as to why I'm asking such an obscure question it's cause I'm looking into cheering for an NFL team in New York (I  live in Toronto and don't like the Bills - but I  love NYC) and I need to choose between the Jets and the Giants. 

You gotta pick the Jets for one reason and one reason only:  Sam Darnold. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

20-30 years ago this question would have made more sense,  Best guess based on older times is it it's an even split.  I think Brooklyn/SI was even, while Queens and LI leaned Jets.  Once you crossed over to Manhattan & The Bronx and points north/west it flipped to the Giants.

But who knows if those norms hold up nowadays, or if Bay Ridge is all white people who grew up in a suburb.

Based on what i've seen...Bronx, brooklyn, queens have changed dramatically, lots of transplants from other states - most of whom have no interest in the 'conventional' low-brow american interests such as football - along with many 1st/2nd gen immigrant families who probably haven't 'assimilated' enough to embrace our national past-time. A lot of these gentrified spots aren't that big on football.

These days, Jets/Giants draw their New york fan-base from Nassau county, Long island, and Staten island. Probably a few from upstate as well.

4 hours ago, Vader said:

Bay ridge is very chinese... there are also hipsters moving in there Bc it’s cheaper than bed stuy, crown hts, and bushwick.

these ppl are not even from NYC. They are just as or more likely to be colts fans 

Depends where in Bay Ridge. The closer you get to the bridge, the less Asian it is. 

3 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Nice purple scarf...Chip.

Do these two actually call themselves men?

*******  embarrassing.

Saturday Night Fever was shot, mostly, in Bay Ridge but is actually set in Bensonhurst. The film's most iconic scene, the opening, was shot on 86th Street between 19th and 20th Avenue at Lenny's Pizza, which is still there, in Bensonhurst.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, neurotik said:

If you're determining who to root for based on who is more popular in New York it's unquestionably the Giants.

But the Jets will give you frustration, depression and heartburn, so you should pick them anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1