Interesting Take on Darnold

Meh. I think he's got "it" and will shine this year. Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part, but he looks the role more than anyone we've had in a long time. 

I certainly don't agree with the author that Darnold's body of work is comprised of more bad than good. That's absurd on the face of it. But the bottom line is he needs to step up this season and shut the critics up OR we need to consider other options. I hope it's the former. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

By this point in a quarterback’s career, you can usually find something in the numbers that provides a glimmer of hope. That’s not really the case for Darnold, who has been a bottom-10 quarterback in just about every split you can come up with. In 2019, he ranked 29th in expected points added per play on clean dropbacks with no play-action. That doesn’t bode well.

Baby Hat GIF

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

24 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

That I agree with .. only I'm giving him this year to prove to me that he is indeed 'the man'.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/07/new-york-jets-sam-darnold

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

"In 2019, he ranked 29th in expected points added per play on clean dropbacks with no play-action. That doesn’t bode well."

Cut him! Bust! 

• WTF? 1

I believe in Darnold. Good QB, terrible team. Hopefully we see it this year with the triage Joe D did on the OL and with the WR corps. I have a legitimate amount of optimism, cautious as it may be. 
I'll say this: if the Jets are even sniffing the playoffs this year, it's not the defense people are gonna be talking about; it'll be Sam. And you naysayers? Find your own ****ing bandwagon, you're not welcome on mine. 
I praying he is the Man ... I could not stand another project next year.

21 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Sounds like an article written by someone that’s never watched a Jets game 

Had anyone actually watched a jet game in the last 3 years? They still televise those things?

I usually watch the highlights the next day. 5 minutes of dropped balls and missed tackles.

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

"In 2019, he ranked 29th in expected points added per play on clean dropbacks with no play-action. That doesn’t bode well."

Cut him! Bust! 

Mono never happened!  Record amount of injuries never happened!  The Jets were predicted to go 12-4!  Fire Sam Darnold!

These idiots with too many statistics and no common sense. 

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Let the evaluation start this year WHEN the OL finally gels and can execute plays without looking like the key-stone cops.  You know maybe open holes for RB, given him more the 1.5 sec to decided where to throw the ball and hopefully  A LOT better PC.  Then if he falters then maybe its time to move on... but I don't think so...  

BTW - he does need to improve his footwork! Hopefully he spent time this off season learnings how to use his legs and torso to throw the ball which should increase velocity and accuracy. 

I appreciate the fact that we’ve got more ways to evaluate the QB position than standard QB rating (which I think we can all agree is flawed). That said some of this is a little absurd. There are so many of these advanced metrics out there that you can literally pick and choose different ones to fit your narrative. 

Here is how this article should read in one sentence:

Sam Darnold has done OK for a 21-22 year old in a tough situation (Mono, bad roster, gase), but he needs to make significant progress over the next few seasons to justify his draft position.

When you tell me that he’s been on par with Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith his first two years based on some metrics that’s when you lose me. As bad as Darnolds ghost game was last year I don’t think it even comes close to Geno’s 3 INT in 1 quarter masterpiece against the Bills.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Look... If we were to get a generational talent at QB I'd expect us to ruin him.

Good, great, or bad QB of the NYJ seems to a cosmic sacrificial lamb.

Enjoy the show... Watch the flames, they're perpetuity is comforting in a horrific sort of way.

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

Steven Ruiz (the author of the article) can go eat a bag of dicks.

Here's another hot take from him:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article224076765.html

It doesn't bode well for a wanna be NFL writer when you start to type in his name in Google and it autfills: Steven Ruiz Patrick Mahomnes

Its one guys opinion. If you want to read about how great Sam Darnold is you can find content all over the internet. 

The truth is none of it matters. Darnold is going to next year likely another year after that. 

6 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

The truth is none of it matters. Darnold is going to.    next year likely another year after that. 

Nice. 

The new guy is going to be letting us fill in the blank and finish his sentences.

I like him already!!!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Losmeister said:

i hope he does well.

i think we was way overhyped. we'll see. 

absolutl;ey nothing he does that other qbs cant do,

I’m not even sure what that means. He was a consensus top 3-5 pick in the draft and a lot of folks thought he was worth taking #1 overall. He certainly has plenty of tools to work with. 

I think it’s time to start pointing the finger at the organization and the way they are developing these guys. Darnold is the fifth QB the Jets have invested a first of second round pick in since 2006 and the story had been largely the same with each one (some worse than others).

Let’s trade up a ton of assets to take this 20 year old QB and hope he’s good enough day 1 to overcome all the mistakes we’ve made building the offense the last decade. We are going to task Todd Bowles (defensive coach) and Jeremy Bates (currently unemployed) to get him to that point after five weeks of practice. What can go wrong? 

• Post of the Week 1

THANK YOU!!!
You are the first person to state the obvious, that Sam Darnold's offensive talent SUCKED compared to what Winston has been throwing to!
Indeed, it can be argued that TB has the most talent in the ENTIRE NFL at the WR position!
Silly people making dumb comparisons aren't even worth the key strokes.....
Clearly you'd haven't been around a long enough to realize that this forum has been all over Robbie Anderson's schlong proclaiming him a number one wide receiver worthy of 17 mill per

• Haha 1

Mono never happened!  Record amount of injuries never happened!  The Jets were predicted to go 12-4!  Fire Sam Darnold!
These idiots with too many statistics and no common sense. 

SAR I
Did you even read the article .. more than half of it was dedicated to Sam's stellar footwork

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, slats said:

I believe in Darnold. Good QB, terrible team. Hopefully we see it this year with the triage Joe D did on the OL and with the WR corps. I have a legitimate amount of optimism, cautious as it may be. 

I'll say this: if the Jets are even sniffing the playoffs this year, it's not the defense people are gonna be talking about; it'll be Sam. And you naysayers? Find your own ****ing bandwagon, you're not welcome on mine. 

im riding shotgun baby!  I liked everything I saw when he returned from mono.  The one thing that he needs to improve on is his deep ball accuracy. the strength is there, but he missed quite a few deep balls last year. the short to intermediate stuff he can thread a needle.