Jump to content
EM31

What chance we lose Williams to a HC gig?

Recommended Posts

Like everyone else I suspect, I am very happy with the DC job the Greg Williams did for us last year.  The fear being that maybe someone out there offers him a Head coaching job.  I know he has tried that route already but is there sufficient interest out there in giving him another shot at the crown or can we safely count on the fact that we have "our guy" for a while?

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know, don't care. People act like he's Dick LeBeau. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Williams was almost out of the league following the Bountygate era and Browns players getting vocal on his locker room antics.  It's made him change his tune a bit and appreciate what he has.  There's also a lot of NFL fans who can't stand him because of the whole "Kill The Head" speech.  So I don't think Williams is going anywhere.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Like everyone else I suspect, I am very happy with the DC job the Greg Williams did for us last year.  The fear being that maybe someone out there offers him a Head coaching job.  I know he has tried that route already but is there sufficient interest out there in giving him another shot at the crown or can we safely count on the fact that we have "our guy" for a while?

He is a coordinator, not a very good HC.  I'm not worried about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Less than Zero. He's not considered a great defensive mind in this era and he's proven he's an awful, awful head coach. 

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zero.

Is it 2019?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He'll be a DC for the rest of his career.  The concern isn't that he'll leave for a HC  job.  The concern is that he'll be gone from here in 1-2 years, since his average stop with any team has been 2-3 years ever since he was fired from his last HC job in 2003.  He spent 4 years with Washington, 1 with Jacksonville, 3 with New Orleans, 1 with the Rams, 1 with the Titans, another 3 with the Rams, 2 with the Browns, and then got hired here.  He's not long for this job given that track record.

Those of you looking forward to the day when Gase gets fired but love Gregg Williams need to recognize a stark reality:  When Gase goes, Williams will likely leave (most likely resign or not have his contract renewed as opposed to getting fired) as well.  After all, the new HC will want to hire a staff of his own, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Williams to me doesn’t seem like a guy who sticks around places for very long. He’s a lot like John Tortorella in that he’s great in small doses and a nice change of pace from a soft spoken guy like a Todd Bowles. Eventually his act starts to get old and he’s ousted only to resurface somewhere else and start the cycle over again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He'll be a DC for the rest of his career.  The concern isn't that he'll leave for a HC  job.  The concern is that he'll be gone from here in 1-2 years, since his average stop with any team has been 2-3 years ever since he was fired from his last HC job in 2003.  He spent 4 years with Washington, 1 with Jacksonville, 3 with New Orleans, 1 with the Rams, 1 with the Titans, another 3 with the Rams, 2 with the Browns, and then got hired here.  He's not long for this job given that track record.

Those of you looking forward to the day when Gase gets fired but love Gregg Williams need to recognize a stark reality:  When Gase goes, Williams will likely leave (most likely resign or not have his contract renewed as opposed to getting fired) as well.  After all, the new HC will want to hire a staff of his own, no?

If Gase is around in 2021 that means the Jets probably had a good year and Gase is building some power within the organization. Don’t be shocked if Gase cans Gregg the second he gets a chance. I can’t imagine those two get along. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Less than Zero. He's not considered a great defensive mind in this era and he's proven he's an awful, awful head coach. 

You actually post this after the outstanding job GW did with the Jets last year...

Wow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lose, he’s getting Gase’s job mid season 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

You actually post this after the outstanding job GW did with the Jets last year...

Wow!

So one year of being in the middle of the pack should outweigh several straight years of being horrid? 

Maybe he had some epiphany, but it's much more likely he regresses to the mean. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Not high but I'd much rather have him as our HC than Gase


LOL.  Guy couldn't land the Browns job.

SAR I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SAR I said:


LOL.  Guy couldn't land the Browns job.

SAR I

Correct, and he would still be a better coach than Adam Gase.  Freddie Fing Kitchens also an 'offensive guru' had a better offensive ranking than Adam GAse. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1 with Jacksonville, 3 with New Orleans, 1 with the Rams, 1 with the Titans, another 3 with the Rams, 2 with the Browns

Most of these short stays are because he was out with the old coaching staff when the team let go of their HC He was just part of a staff that went out with the fired HC.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Freddir Fing Kitchens also an 'offensive guru' had a better offensive ranking than Adam GAse. 

Really?  

Had much more talent with his Brown team that Gase had last year.  Had a healthy QB, which Gase hasn't had, was a pick for payoffs and maybe a win or two and his team shlts the bed to the point hes dumped after one season and your talking about offensive rankings?
Do the guys who whine realize theirs more to coaching than a HSs specialty.  Bowles had highly ranked defensive units, should we rehire him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

close to zero...I think he is permanently in the DC coordinator only coaching group now...kind of like if Rex ever decided to come back his ceiling would be DC

This

His best chance at a HC gig was Cleveland and look what they hired instead of him

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Greg Williams leaves next year I have an idea for replacement as DC

 

A2A130CF-A1E0-4A3F-AC39-5C46C8B9CE38.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Correct, and he would still be a better coach than Adam Gase.  Freddir Fing Kitchens also an 'offensive guru' had a better offensive ranking than Adam GAse. 

mccarthy.jpg

SAR I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gregg Williams is 22-34 as a HC work only winning year at 5-3 as an interim HC and will be 62 years old at the beginning of the 2021 season.

Adam Gase is 30-34 with a playoff appearance.

 

Can we stop the silliness please?

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Less than Zero. He's not considered a great defensive mind in this era and he's proven he's an awful, awful head coach. 

can't say he's been a proven bad head coach.  he coached the bledsoe bills and those teams weren't exactly world beaters.  and then there was bounty gate which pretty much ruined his hc chances for the next 20 years.  when he interim coach at cleveland he went 5-3.  i'm not saying he's a bad head coach just that the opportunities slipped by and teams now look for these woke guys.  i seriously doubt if he'll get another chance.  

you know marv levy wasn't exactly tearing it up in kc.  he goes to the bills, gets a team and a hof qb and he's in the superbowl 4 times.  so things do happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, GreekJet said:

If Gase is around in 2021 that means the Jets probably had a good year and Gase is building some power within the organization. Don’t be shocked if Gase cans Gregg the second he gets a chance. I can’t imagine those two get along. 

You know what? I think you're wrong here. This was my feeling going into last year, but there wasn't a peep from anyone about the two not getting along. Plenty of room for friction, too, with the defense outperforming the offense pretty consistently. While they're both A-type personalities, Gase seems content to just let Williams run the defense as he sees fit and, at this stage in his career, that's probably a welcome work environment. And for Gase, he has a guy he can trust to handle defense while he focuses on Darnold and the offense. Seems like a good arrangement for both men to me. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he said last year that he's been contacted about HC'ing gigs and he isnt interested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Zero.

Is it 2019?

robin williams what year is it GIF

I know 2020 feels like a beautiful nightmare but I assure you, you are awake.

Yes we will be asking the same questions in 2021 that we were asking in 2019.... There will be no answers in 2020. 😂

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year it was Greg Williams and Gase wouldn’t get along and he’d leave.  Now he’s just leaving

Improvement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

This

His best chance at a HC gig was Cleveland and look what they hired instead of him

Freddie was such a wonderful unmitigated disaster.  We don't need the Browns finding success before we do. 🤞😂

 

Glad GW being blacklisted caused them to pass him up and he ended up here. If his being blackballed keeps him here good for us. I hope he is able to keep up the production we saw last year considering he has had a pretty up and down career. We shall see.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...