Is it even POSSIBLE that the starters on offense are worse than last year?

jetstream23

30 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Arguably the best WR in the NFL was traded for a 2nd round pick. Jets should have been all over that. 

C'mon, we all know that wasn't an option. BoB going nuts and trying to "punish" Hopkins doesn't mean every #1 WR can be had so cheap. 

I think what the Bills paid for Diggs in closer to the going price.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

It’s like one year too late, though

If people thought JD could in 1 year, 1 draft turn this team completely around after 2 previous GMs completely bombing in both the draft & free agency for 10 years straight than I don’t know what to tell you? 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

If people thought JD could in 1 year, 1 draft turn this team completely around after 2 previous GMs completely bombing in both the draft & free agency for 10 years straight than I don’t know what to tell you? 

Not after dumping basically the only 2 hits Macc had in the draft being among his first moves.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

They just like being mad because we didn’t hire their Imaginary Supercoach Who Would Totally Have Come To Work For Mike Maccagnan.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

a;; rebuilds not the same-we like to always be 2-4 years out before we can expect our rebuild plan to have results.

the cards got their young qb a  proven star wr

the bills got their young qb a proven star wr

the jets got their young qb a jag named perriman

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Oh? Darnold was pressured the most of any QB this weekend on 44.7% of his snaps. Which is higher than his league leading 42.1% last year. Hopefully they can improve on that. 

I didn't say the O-Line was a strength. I said it's better. Becton and Lewis both had great games against Buffalo. GVR played well. McGovern and Fant were the weak points on Sunday. Plenty of room for improvement but we are better than we were last year. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Outside of giving Amari Cooper $20 mil plus, there weren’t too many avenues to getting the WR1 here this year. I would have liked to see them be creative by bringing in an actual QB coach, but that wasn’t gonna happen. Maccagnan put the roster in such a hole at the skills positions that it would’ve taken a miracle to fix it in one offseason, which is too bad for Sam because this is The Year he has to show out. Giving Maccagnan the run of the house last offseason was a death knell

Wait, isn't there always a death knell? : / 

"Knock knock." "Who's there?" "Death." "Go on, get outta here!" "Ding Dong (rings doorbell)!" "Who's there?" "Death." "Look at Death Knell, ringin' the doorbell, bet your feet smell!" "Open the damn door . . . !" "She's not home!" Sits down,  continues watching Jets game, avoids, tricks, fcks with, but does not escape Death.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Outside of giving Amari Cooper $20 mil plus, there weren’t too many avenues to getting the WR1 here this year. I would have liked to see them be creative by bringing in an actual QB coach, but that wasn’t gonna happen. Maccagnan put the roster in such a hole at the skills positions that it would’ve taken a miracle to fix it in one offseason, which is too bad for Sam because this is The Year he has to show out. Giving Maccagnan the run of the house last offseason was a death knell

I agree about Mac last off-season. 

That said... Based on week 1, this draft had rookie WRs good enough to come in and contribute immediately as starting WR as late as around 3-4.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/16/dallas-cowboys-ceedee-lamb-rookie-wideout-comparisons-week-1/amp/

Bryan Edwards played something like 90% of the snaps for the Raiders. 1 catch, but he started. We did not have to take Becton. Jeudy was wide open at will, had two drops (which won’t continue), but Lock couldn’t get him the ball. CeeDee was open at will. Ruggs. Laviska played great. Cephus too. That’s just week 1.

Its frankly absurd that the best case scenario coming into this season was Criwder as our 1, Perrinan 2, and Mims 3. Just no. Not acceptable. 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They just like being mad because we didn’t hire their Imaginary Supercoach Who Would Totally Have Come To Work For Mike Maccagnan.

How many 1st time GMs ink a 6 year contract? Joe Douglas saw this sh*tshow from Philly & knew how much work he had to do. I guarantee you he hated the Le'veon Bell deal. Probably took one look at the fat bastard last year & sided with his Coach. 

Love the way he just came in & did what most everyone wanted, casting Williams to the Giants for a #3 & #5, then getting a huge haul for a guy that wanted out. It's been a long time since the Jets had both a bunch of high picks & cap space. We're in good hands. 

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Very good points.  Though, tbf, Joe D did draft Denzel Mims and we did have Le'veon at RB.  That's still deficient, of course.  But I think most people agreed that getting the OL repaired was job #1.  We didn't want Sam to go the way of Andrew Luck.

Agree 100%.  I'd rather see Darnold trying to throw into tight windows because his WRs aren't good enough to get separation than have him on his back sacked while Deandre Hopkins caliber WRs streak down the field wide open.  Year 1 under JD....fix the line.  Year 2....get the weapons (and fix the line some more).

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They certainly would have.  If only they could were allowed to pick their own staff.

Considering the amount of ****ery Manish pulled with both McCarthy and Rhule, and Marrone, I wonder if Chris Johnson is the one who ended up pushing  Manish out. It was pretty clear Manish was working in the service of both Maccagnan and Rex, with CJ getting clowned by both the whole way

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Agree 100%.  I'd rather see Darnold trying to throw into tight windows because his WRs aren't good enough to get separation than have him on his back sacked while Deandre Hopkins caliber WRs streak down the field wide open.  Year 1 under JD....fix the line.  Year 2....get the weapons (and fix the line some more).

But he didn't really fix the line. The players are probably better than last year but what you see is what you get here. It's going to take them a minute to gel and then boom. Three of them have outs on their contracts after this year. McGovern, two years. Douglas has had the opportunity to buy into the Darnold and Gase show if he wanted to and he hasn't. He's building a team behind them, not around them.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Young teams need preseason to evaluate. Tough to try & go with youngsters. This whole season will be preseason. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jetster said:

How many 1st time GMs ink a 6 year contract? Joe Douglas saw this sh*tshow from Philly & knew how much work he had to do. I guarantee you he hated the Le'veon Bell deal. Probably took one look at the fat bastard last year & sided with his Coach. 

Love the way he just came in & did what most everyone wanted, casting Williams to the Giants for a #3 & #5, then getting a huge haul for a guy that wanted out. It's been a long time since the Jets had both a bunch of high picks & cap space. We're in good hands. 

Douglas got 6 years because he knew the Johnson’s were idiots.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Considering the amount of ****ery Manish pulled with both McCarthy and Rhule, and Marrone, I wonder if Chris Johnson is the one who ended up pushing  Manish out. It was pretty clear Manish was working in the service of both Maccagnan and Rex, with CJ getting clowned by both the whole way

Wow.  That is a heck of a narrative.  Rex was gone and Marrone with the Jags well before Woody left town.  Gase was able to manipulate things well enough to get rid of Maccagnan.  I find it hard to believe, with the issues he had, that he didn't have a big part in pushing Manish out and more likely that underhanded spoof account sh*t that was the nail in his coffin.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I wonder what the reaction would be if Douglas traded four picks, including a one, for Allen Robinson this afternoon

I would trade my left nut for Robinson right now. 

who the eff is Chris Hogan? This WR lineup is criminal 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Douglas got 6 years because he knew the Johnson’s were idiots.

He's who we could get and this was the job he could get. The only real upshot to the situation is that Douglas is going to be here for a while and nobody else associated with this team in any capacity has any political capital whatsoever right now. Which is probably as close as we can hope to come to finding the right guy and putting him firmly in charge. But if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and signed a contract with the Jets, it's probably just here to steal money.

59 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I agree about Mac last off-season. 

That said... Based on week 1, this draft had rookie WRs good enough to come in and contribute immediately as starting WR as late as around 3-4.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/16/dallas-cowboys-ceedee-lamb-rookie-wideout-comparisons-week-1/amp/

Bryan Edwards played something like 90% of the snaps for the Raiders. 1 catch, but he started. We did not have to take Becton. Jeudy was wide open at will, had two drops (which won’t continue), but Lock couldn’t get him the ball. CeeDee was open at will. Ruggs. Laviska played great. Cephus too. That’s just week 1.

Its frankly absurd that the best case scenario coming into this season was Criwder as our 1, Perrinan 2, and Mims 3. Just no. Not acceptable. 

Yeah, I don’t know. OLT and WR were massive holes and he took an OLT in 1 and a pretty highly regarded WR in 2. It just looks brutal because Mims is hurt, but if he plays and caught three passes, he produces as much as any of the other rookies but Lamb. The veteran route was like Ted Ginn and Randall Cobb, which is meh. Most of the league is in WR hell right now. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

He's who we could get and this was the job he could get. The only real upshot to the situation is that Douglas is going to be here for a while and nobody else associated with this team in any capacity has any political capital whatsoever right now. Which is probably as close as we can hope to come to finding the right guy and putting him firmly in charge. But if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and signed a contract with the Jets, it's probably just here to steal money.

My guess is Douglas knew/had some self-awareness he was never getting a upper echelon or even mid tier GM gig  and just decided to take the Johnson's millions as a consolation. Same can be said for Gase. The franchise is hopeless and nothing is going to change unfortunately. Changing a GM and coach doesnt do anything unless they are given the powers to make change. Changing the draft board procedures or calling the good plays instead of the bad ones doesnt change a rotten culture. Chris abruptly speaking to the media today just totally undercuts the GM who was supposed to be the big gun hire.

• Upvote 1

Wow, nobody is giving the Bills Defense ANY credit.

I mean, yes, Sam played poorly and our O-line hasn't gelled yet and our WR corps is not good. I get that. But we played one of the BEST defenses in the NFL, period. They are very good at every level. Why is anyone surprised that they made the Jets offense look terrible week one after no preseason and limited camp? It should have been assumed.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I don’t know. OLT and WR were massive holes and he took an OLT in 1 and a pretty highly regarded WR in 2. It just looks brutal because Mims is hurt, but if he plays and caught three passes, he produces as much as any of the other rookies but Lamb. The veteran route was like Ted Ginn and Randall Cobb, which is meh. Most of the league is in WR hell right now. 

Eff that, taking WRs in the 1st round when you can get a LT. Free agent WRs stunk this free agency. 
JD wanted to ride with Mims but he’s hurt. And don’t forget Vyncent Smith, also hurt. You can never plan for injuries & we’re rebuilding. 
Becton looks like a stud, Jerry Hughes is a handful. Next up Bosa. Power vs power, should be fun. 
I think JD is a chess player & his plan was to find a stud like Mims, grab a guy like Juju + another draft pick in 2021 in a better market with others having very little cap space. 

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Wow, nobody is giving the Bills Defense ANY credit.

I mean, yes, Sam played poorly and our O-line hasn't gelled yet and our WR corps is not good. I get that. But we played one of the BEST defenses in the NFL, period. They are very good at every level. Why is anyone surprised that they made the Jets offense look terrible week one after no preseason and limited camp? It should have been assumed.  

16-39- 150 yards- 1 interception 

Tom Brady stats vs Bills in Buffalo last year. 20 years in the system, very good solid Oline, 3 good RBs, Edelman, Sanu (veterans). 

Bills are really good. Sam played sh*tty. Herndon was rusty as hell. Oline 1st game zero preseason. No Mims, no Vyncint. Come on. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, shawn306 said:

And actually find somebody that wants to come here

they'll come if you hold out enough money.  after all they have to feed their families.  the point is it takes two to tango and so many fans seem to think the jets can snap their fingers and get the second coming of namath or maynard.  there are good reasons to come to the jets but then there are also reasons not to beyond the team being the jets.  the metro region takes a certain type player who can avoid the distractions and the morons like maneesh and the rest of the jets beat.  on top of that it's an expensive region to live in and the quality of life is not as high as in other nfl cities.

• Upvote 1