Is it even POSSIBLE that the starters on offense are worse than last year?

jetstream23

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Oh? Darnold was pressured the most of any QB this weekend on 44.7% of his snaps. Which is higher than his league leading 42.1% last year. Hopefully they can improve on that. 

you are right in implying the oline is still the problem.   that's not because of the talent level as much as it's about them not playing enough together.  i believe we'll see much better line play this week and every week thereafter.

15 minutes ago, Jetster said:

16-39- 150 yards- 1 interception 

Tom Brady stats vs Bills in Buffalo last year. 20 years in the system, very good solid Oline, 3 good RBs, Edelman, Sanu (veterans). 

Bills are really good. Sam played sh*tty. Herndon was rusty as hell. Oline 1st game zero preseason. No Mims, no Vyncint. Come on. 

I mean, that's what I'm saying. This was a game where, if the Jets showed up and played really well, maybe they would have had a chance. Instead they came out flat, Sam looked off and not in sync with his WRs and the coaching staff had a pedestrian gameplan. Surprise, surprise, they got their a**es handed to them. Then the whole board explodes, Sam is a bust, this team won't win another game, etc. etc. It's insane.  The Jets may be awful this year, but this one game does not reflect the type of team we will see all season. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I mean, that's what I'm saying. This was a game where, if the Jets showed up and played really well, maybe they would have had a chance. Instead they came out flat, Sam looked off and not in sync with his WRs and the coaching staff had a pedestrian gameplan. Surprise, surprise, they got their a**es handed to them. Then the whole board explodes, Sam is a bust, this team won't win another game, etc. etc. It's insane.  The Jets may be awful this year, but this one game does not reflect the type of team we will see all season. 

I have the Bills D in fantasy vs Fitzy. Parker’s banged up. Over under on picks? 3/4?

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

What the hell are we trying to do to this quarterback?

How are we ever going to know if Darnold is good, bad, great, average?

Two GMs, two HCs.... year 3 of a Bottom 5 roster. Heck, they even gave Ryan Fitzpatrick guys like Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker.

Maybe we should fire Douglas

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Eff that, taking WRs in the 1st round when you can get a LT. Free agent WRs stunk this free agency. 
JD wanted to ride with Mims but he’s hurt. And don’t forget Vyncent Smith, also hurt. You can never plan for injuries & we’re rebuilding. 

So much here I don't get.  

Don't take a WR in the 1st because free agent WRs stunk?  Seems to be a reason to raise the value of WRs. 

You can never NOT plan for injuries.  The GM better have plans b, c and d, for if and when each player gets injured.  I also don't think many people see losing Jeff and Vyncint Smith as huge losses.

52 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

But he didn't really fix the line. The players are probably better than last year but what you see is what you get here. It's going to take them a minute to gel and then boom. Three of them have outs on their contracts after this year. McGovern, two years. Douglas has had the opportunity to buy into the Darnold and Gase show if he wanted to and he hasn't. He's building a team behind them, not around them.

Very interesting take.  Could it be that JD is doing both?  He is targeting players on shorter term deals that fit now and are in-line with what Gase wants, but at the same time drafting and signing longer term the players that he sees as fitting regardless of Head Coach, system, etc.?

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I don’t know. OLT and WR were massive holes and he took an OLT in 1 and a pretty highly regarded WR in 2. It just looks brutal because Mims is hurt, but if he plays and caught three passes, he produces as much as any of the other rookies but Lamb. The veteran route was like Ted Ginn and Randall Cobb, which is meh. Most of the league is in WR hell right now. 

Fair, I just wanted 2 WRs in this draft. I felt it was the ONLY strategy. I was okay with going LT WR WR.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

So much here I don't get.  

Don't take a WR in the 1st because free agent WRs stunk?  Seems to be a reason to raise the value of WRs. 

You can never NOT plan for injuries.  The GM better have plans b, c and d, for if and when each player gets injured.  I also don't think many people see losing Jeff and Vyncint Smith as huge losses.

We picked at 11 

I’m taking a stud LT over WR there all day long!

Sam can’t get the ball to a WR on his back or on IR

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Considering the amount of ****ery Manish pulled with both McCarthy and Rhule, and Marrone, I wonder if Chris Johnson is the one who ended up pushing  Manish out. It was pretty clear Manish was working in the service of both Maccagnan and Rex, with CJ getting clowned by both the whole way

I have very little doubt that the hit on Manish was sanctioned by someone at the top.

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Agree 100%.  I'd rather see Darnold trying to throw into tight windows because his WRs aren't good enough to get separation than have him on his back sacked while Deandre Hopkins caliber WRs streak down the field wide open.  Year 1 under JD....fix the line.  Year 2....get the weapons (and fix the line some more).

The problem is, Darnold could be ruined/gone by then, and if Lawrence pipe dream doesn’t happen (it won’t), who are we even starting over with? 

It feels like we brought Douglas in one year too late 

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

What the hell are we trying to do to this quarterback?

How are we ever going to know if Darnold is good, bad, great, average?

Two GMs, two HCs.... year 3 of a Bottom 5 roster. Heck, they even gave Ryan Fitzpatrick guys like Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker.

Besides the fall of Rosen, look at what the other QBs have been surrounded by in the last 2-3 years... Lamar, Mahomes, Baker, Josh, Murray, Locke, etc etc... It's perverse how bad the Jets are at putting talent around their QB. 

Absolutely perverse. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Besides the fall of Rosen, look at what the other QBs have been surrounded by in the last 2-3 years... Lamar, Mahomes, Baker, Josh, Murray, Locke, etc etc... It's perverse how bad the Jets are at putting talent around their QB. 

Absolutely perverse. 

The argument on the board these days seems to be that Darnold should be elevating those around him including Hogan, Perriman, Herndon, and even Coach Gase...... because Franchise QBs do that.

I can't buy this line of thinking right now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

The problem is, Darnold could be ruined/gone by then, and if Lawrence pipe dream doesn’t happen (it won’t), who are we even starting over with? 

It feels like we brought Douglas in one year too late 

We swung for the fences in 2018 with a St. Patrick's Day trade in March to get up to #3 in the Draft.  Then Darnold dropped to the Jets which was unexpected.  We're not getting that lucky twice.... I don't care how many Jamals that Joe Douglas trades to get 1st round picks that can be traded to move up.  I can't see Trevor Lawrence within reach of the Jets in my wildest dreams.

Besides, what would we do with him?  It just feels like we could have Darnold, Tua and Lawrence....the Jets would still make a mess of them.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We swung for the fences in 2018 with a St. Patrick's Day trade in March to get up to #3 in the Draft.  Then Darnold dropped to the Jets which was unexpected.  We're not getting that lucky twice.... I don't care how many Jamals that Joe Douglas trades to get 1st round picks that can be traded to move up.  I can't see Trevor Lawrence within reach of the Jets in my wildest dreams.

Besides, what would we do with him?  It just feels like we could have Darnold, Tua and Lawrence....the Jets would still make a mess of them.

Agreed

25 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The argument on the board these days seems to be that Darnold should be elevating those around him including Hogan, Perriman, Herndon, and even Coach Gase...... because Franchise QBs do that.

I can't buy this line of thinking right now.

I think the problem is, there are very few guys in the league right now who can actually do that - Mahomes, Wilson, Watson,  Rodgers, Jackson - who else? 

Darnold isn’t one of those guys and very likely never will be. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t win with him. I’d sure love to see him with some real weapons and an above average offensive line. 

Unfortunately, I fear we never will. 

The mismanagement of the roster in Darnold’s first two years (mostly orchestrated by Mac) was simply disastrous.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Outside of giving Amari Cooper $20 mil plus, there weren’t too many avenues to getting the WR1 here this year. I would have liked to see them be creative by bringing in an actual QB coach, but that wasn’t gonna happen. Maccagnan put the roster in such a hole at the skills positions that it would’ve taken a miracle to fix it in one offseason, which is too bad for Sam because this is The Year he has to show out. Giving Maccagnan the run of the house last offseason was a death knell

Ok, who are ypu and what have you done with T0mShane

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

and 20 minutes from now Chris Hogan will still have a #3 cornerback in his back pocket.

Well I guess Buffalos #3 is better than I thought. And if Sam could hit an open man & got at least 9 more plays maybe the % age of him having a chance would have gone higher. 

while it's true the offense is bad, the coach is a moron and the owners are out to lunch, 

Sam Darnold doesn't need good WR or George Kittle at TE to set his feet

he doesn't need 5 all pros at OL to keep his friggin feet on the ground when he throws an NFL pass

it's not rocket science 

it's QB 101 

he just has to calmly make a decision and use the mechanics people have been trying to teach him for the last multiple offseasons

this was all in the scouting report by the way 

he was known as a player who loses his fundementals under pressure and everyone assumed he could be taught differently 

now the whole league knows he's mistake prone and panics when you blitz him (ghost game fallout) and he's not proving anyone wrong

hey maybe he can learn how to play QB like Rich Gannon or Trent Dilfer but it might take another 5 years and I can't watch this mess any more 

it's almost certain Flacco, Morgan or White would be better than Darnold at this point. That's how garbage Darnold is playing. it's year 3, he's seen 3000 snaps and he still can't set his feet