JD has no idea what he’s doing

kevinc855

19 minutes ago, undertow said:

I like JD but thankfully we have moved past the phase that if you disagree with any move he made you would get attacked by a bunch of hysterical hero worshippers....that was the cringiest sh*t ever.

Yes, JD was my hero. Now you ruined it. Jeez.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, undertow said:

I like JD but thankfully we have moved past the phase that if you disagree with any move he made you would get attacked by a bunch of hysterical hero worshippers....that was the cringiest sh*t ever.

I don't know if we've moved past it yet tbh. and agreed it is very weird.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, doitny said:

we should pin this thread. this way when we make the playoffs next year we know who has to start a  " i was wrong about JD " thread.

Explain to the class how we’ll be ready to move past Buffalo, Miami and NE next year in our division, then KC, Cleveland, Baltimore, Steelers, Colts, Chargers and even the Raiders within the Conference.

That’s 10 teams who are a lot better than us. I’m looking at this roster and I’ll be happy if we’re better than the Jaguars, Texans and Bengals. That alone will be tough, as Burrow and Lawrence have as much upside as Zach does, and he’s basically all we have.

• Upvote 2

Listen, I love Douglas’ plan and strategy, but he still has to be good at executing that plan. So far there isn’t a single unit on this team that’s any good at all. Nothing we can hang our hat on and say we’re comfortable with the execution and progress. At some point there needs to be accountability. Becton can’t stay on the field, Mims can’t even see the field, Davis/Perine/Morgan/Clark….. seriously his best pick of the 2020 draft may well have been a punter.

Unlike prior GM’s it seems Douglas has a competent plan. Much like prior GM’s it doesn’t seem like he’s very good at executing the plan. Right now there is nothing to be excited about, including Zach because even if he is any good he’s going to wither with the lack of talent on this team.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

31 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Listen, I love Douglas’ plan and strategy, but he still has to be good at executing that plan. So far there isn’t a single unit on this team that’s any good at all. Nothing we can hang our hat on and say we’re comfortable with the execution and progress. At some point there needs to be accountability. Becton can’t stay on the field, Mims can’t even see the field, Davis/Perine/Morgan/Clark….. seriously his best pick of the 2020 draft may well have been a punter.

Unlike prior GM’s it seems Douglas has a competent plan. Much like prior GM’s it doesn’t seem like he’s very good at executing the plan. Right now there is nothing to be excited about, including Zach because even if he is any good he’s going to wither with the lack of talent on this team.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Another good post.

I was watching the Jets Sunday, and also saw Matt Stafford lighting it up with the Rams after being lost on an island with the Lions all those years.

I couldn’t help but look at what Douglas has put on the field around this kid and see a comparable fate in store for Zach.

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I sure hope so but man you have much more confidence then me

My confidence is in ZW.  The kids the real deal.

Great QB's make GM's careers...

All JD really needs to do at this point is put together a quality OL - there's enough talent around ZW to succeed if they can give him time and a reasonable running game.

• Upvote 4

Just now, FidelioJet said:

All JD really needs to do at this point is put together a quality OL - there's enough talent around ZW to succeed if they can give him time and a reasonable running game.

You can’t build an entire offensive line that quickly. The Jets have been trying for years and haven’t gotten it right what makes you think this time it’ll be different?

• Sympathy 1

I am mentally preparing myself for the fact that the 2020 draft class is going to be a bust. I am no longer twisting myself into a pretzel trying to rationalize why this might end up being a decent draft. Becton was the correct pick at the time, but it still might end up being a busted pick. He simply cannot get onto the field and stay there. I will not bang JD on the Becton pick. A combination of bad luck and a guy who might not fit into the OL scheme of a future coach is not something he could have predicted. At the end of the day, the guy who you pick is your responsibility. 

He does get banged on the Mims pick. He passed on Mims for a reason, and it wasn't because he was playing 4D chess. There was no way to know that Mims would still be there after the trade down. If Mims was the pick, he should have been snatched up when he first has the chance. 

Davis might end up being ok, but it's not trending that way. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Davis ends up being a decent player. 

The Zuniga and Morgan picks were an abject failure.

Cam Clark falls into the Davis category. If a 4th rounder develops into quality depth/spot starter, that is an acceptable use of a fourth rounder.

Perine is a meh pick. I don't see him developing into anything but a roster place holder.

Bryce Hall has been his best pick of the 2020 draft, and that is sad.

Braden Mann is just another JD pick that got hurt, and is nothing special so far. Taking a punter in the sixth round is fine when you strike gold. Trending towards a wasted pick. Punters can be picked up from the UDFA scrap heap, or drafted late in the seventh. 

JD sh*t the bed with this draft, and the only way to fix it is to cut bait sooner rather than later. Cutting Zuniga and Morgan is a mark against his draft, but oddly enough, a positive sign that JD is not playing the sunk cost fallacy game.  Do not be surprised when his 2020 draft picks are traded at a loss. I certainly won't be. 

I think judging JD on his drafts, the overall talent level or the results is simply more whining by the fan base.  You can't be truly great at sucking without longevity of sucking.   Douglas needs to put together another few bad drafts before we can definitively say he sucks at his job.  

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

You can't be truly great at sucking without longevity of sucking.   Douglas needs to put together another few bad drafts before we can definitively say he sucks at his job.  

Jets Fans:  "It's been 4 weeks!  I've seen enough!  Get Adam Gase out of here right now!"

Also Jets Fans:  "It's only been 28 months!  Joe Douglas is not great at sucking yet!  We won't know that until Month 65!"

SAR I

I think most reasonable folks would agree the 2020 draft was poor. I don't know if the brain power going into that thing was good or not, the results are clearly poor.

But, if Saleh and Zach are successful, All JD has done in the past will be forgiven. The problem is pass protection and the run game have to get figured out sooner than later, or Zach will end up injured. Gabbert was running for his life last year and made things work, but I don't think that is a sustainable model.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Trying is drafting Becton and trading up for AVT. Trying is not 3rd rounder Chuma Edoga, 4th rounder Brandon Shell, two years of no offensive lineman selected in the draft, 5th rounder Jarvis Harrison, and 4th rounder Dakota Dozier. Trying is not trading for Kelechi Osemele. We have only started building a line a year ago, and we don't even know if we have more than one piece. 

This is correct.  Up until last year the Jets were NOT trying to build a quality OL - it was an afterthought to the previous regime and JD had so much garbage to clear that he didn't want to spend big anywhere.

If Becton busts it's a huge miss.  We don't need an all world OL, just a competent one.

Next year.

Line could look like this next year ...

1st round LT - AVT - second round C - best FA G on the market - Becton (Moses as back up)

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Jets Fans:  "It's been 4 weeks!  I've seen enough!  Get Adam Gase out of here right now!"

Also Jets Fans:  "It's only been 28 months!  Joe Douglas is not great at sucking yet!  We won't know that until Month 65!"

SAR I

I was fine with Gase sucking for two years.  Gase sucked for several years before he got here.  He sucked and had longevity sucking.  

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The system they’re running isn’t easy, isn’t learned overnight. The new prized rookie missed all of training camp, and last year’s prize rookie is now out 4-8 weeks. It’s going to take a bit before the OL is working like a unit, maybe most of the season. Sunday’s game was disappointing, but no big surprise. I was saying all offseason that I wanted to see the team get better over the course of the year. That’s what I’m looking for, and that hasn’t changed. If the Jets are a tough out and/or winning games in the second half of the season, I’ll feel a lot better about next year and beyond, and will probably be talking about playoff-like results, myself. My biggest concern is ZW developing bad habits running for his life feeling like he has to do everything on his own. I just watched that movie for the last three years. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is correct.  Up until last year the Jets were NOT trying to build a quality OL - it was an afterthought to the previous regime and JD had so much garbage to clear that he didn't want to spend big anywhere.

If Becton busts it's a huge miss.  We don't need an all world OL, just a competent one.

Next year.

Line could look like this next year ...

1st round LT - AVT - second round C - best FA G on the market - Becton (Moses as back up)

I wouldn't mind if JD selected four OL,  and signed one big veteran in 2022. You cannot win games consistently unless you have competent OL play. Zach Wilson will not last three seasons if he gets smashed like he did against the Panthers. 

Maybe Becton is better suited for RT. Someone who knows more about offensive lineman can tell me. 

2 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I wouldn't mind if JD selected four OL,  and signed one big veteran in 2022. You cannot win games consistently unless you have competent OL play. Zach Wilson will not last three seasons if he gets smashed like he did against the Panthers. 

Maybe Becton is better suited for RT. Someone who knows more about offensive lineman can tell me. 

I feel this is said every year. He is not drafting 4 people in one postion. Look at all his previous drafts from Eagles and bears (on some years he didnt take any o line) We still need to address so much on this roster. 

Last night I went on Wikipedia to the 1992 New York Jets season page and scrolled thru it.  Checked out the Draft and read all the game synopsis and then went to 93, 94, 95- all the way up to today and I got so sick of looking at such hot garbage being picked over and over and over again that I became numb.  I'd say we had 4 good drafts in that entire time and the one was because we got Marvin Jones, Adrian Murrell, Fred Baxter, and Richie Anderson and most played for the team for a long time.  Other than having the multiple #1 pick years where we lucked out and got some good players, but no all-time greats of course, maybe Mangold.  Other than that, every single draft I looked at is a forgettable mess of nobodies.   Then to really make it hurt I went to the draft year page just to see who got taken after and became a Pro-Bowler, not interested in if we had a need at the time, just what could have been.  When you realize who was out there...ugh.  I started in 1992 as that was my HS graduation year, not much thought beyond that.

So, now we watch what this guy does.  I will say his drafts look a lot more sane than a few of them in there.  Saleh is getting at least 3 years to figure it out with the team unless they completely implode, so guaranteed JD is here that long as well with the caveat of implosion taking both out.

58 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

You need to take PatsfanTX 101, then try to move on to this next level stuff. Pass that course first.

• Upvote 1