Does the Rex Ryan regime still look so bad?

NYJ1

On 10/4/2020 at 6:50 AM, sourceworx said:

I feel as if Rex could still be an excellent coach. Just don't allow him to make personnel decisions.

Disagree. The game has passed him by. Happens with everyone. 

Rex was a good DC/HC in the 2000s. He was innovative, his father Buddy ryan's '46 defense' had the best disguises, and Rex had complete mastery over that scheme. He was a great hire at the time. 46 would allow you to dominate the line of scrimmage, applying pressure while rendering up-tempo short-range passing games ineffective. Refs were also more lenient on defensive players. 

The game has changed significantly since then; to a point where 46 doesn't give you an advantage anymore. Noodle armed QBs didn't throw downfield as often in the 2000s; and the 46 could never stop the long range 'chunk play' to those quick-footed wide receivers. His defenders would be considered over-aggressive by today's standards, surrendering big penalty yardage. Rex could no longer count on a stud cornerback erasing half the field. 

As you'd expect, the patriots were among the first to recognize this, and they ran up 40 points in 3 quarters against Ryan's Buffalo bills in back to back seasons. They barely ran the ball in those 2 games, Brady was consistently hitting on big plays to Dobson and Chris hogan. 

Those who don't evolve with the times, get left behind. Rex ryan has been left behind. Belichick, on the other hand, stays as current as possible, which is very impressive.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Disagree. The game has passed him by. Happens with everyone. 

Rex was a good DC/HC in the 2000s. He was innovative, his father Buddy ryan's '46 defense' had the best disguises, and Rex had complete mastery over that scheme. He was a great hire at the time. 46 would allow you to dominate the line of scrimmage, applying pressure while rendering up-tempo short-range passing games ineffective. Refs were also more lenient on defensive players. 

The game has changed significantly since then; to a point where 46 doesn't give you an advantage anymore. Noodle armed QBs didn't throw downfield as often in the 2000s; and the 46 could never stop the long range 'chunk play' to those quick-footed wide receivers. His defenders would be considered over-aggressive by today's standards, surrendering big penalty yardage. Rex could no longer count on a stud cornerback erasing half the field. 

As you'd expect, the patriots were among the first to recognize this, and they ran up 40 points in 3 quarters against Ryan's Buffalo bills in back to back seasons. They barely ran the ball in those 2 games, Brady was consistently hitting on big plays to Dobson and Chris hogan. 

Those who don't evolve with the times, get left behind. Rex ryan has been left behind. Belichick, on the other hand, stays as current as possible, which is very impressive.

I love these “game passed him by” comments.  I was hearing the same thing about Jon Gruden last 2 years.  Did the game of football stop getting played with a football and now with a drone or something?

We have zero shot at any big name coaching hires.  The names I’m hearing like Bienemy are meh at best.  Hire Rex to do the defense and Bates to handle offense

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

I love these “game passed him by” comments.  I was hearing the same thing about Jon Gruden last 2 years.  Did the game of football stop getting played with a football and now with a drone or something?

We have zero shot at any big name coaching hires.  The names I’m hearing like Bienemy are meh at best.  Hire Rex to do the defense and Bates to handle offense

The game, like everything else in society, has evolved. That's a fact. 

Gruden's acumen is better than Rex ryan's. He stayed current by watching football every single week as an announcer, he's a workaholic - much like belichick - and he's obviously got a much bigger profile. Whether he's successful or not remains to be seen, but there's greater respect for him in NFL hierarchy. 

Rex's defensive schemes are outdated, and we saw evidence of this when he was coaching Buffalo. He was on the same stuff he ran in the mid 2000s with the Ravens. I'd be surprised if anyone hires him. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2020 at 8:34 AM, NYJ1 said:

After 4 years of ?and one full season plus of Adam Gase, are you still so down on Rex Ryan? I'm not. Rex Ryan would definitely have had this team playing better over the last 5+ seasons. The one constant would be DEFENSE. Rex's defense was never any worse than what? 10th? In toilets regime the defense steadily fell in ranking into the 20's. Currently, under Greg Williams, this defense is giving up 30+ points per game to guys that have never started an NFL game. Put Rex back here and give him a GM that knows how to select talent? That sounds to me to be INFINITELY better than any of the last almost 6 seasons.....

What is this affinity for Rex. Rex was a horrible coach who inherited a damn good team and proceeded to wreck it. He also didn't even know what was going on on the offensive side of the ball and got Sanchez killed in a meaningless pre-season game. Yeah, that is who I want leading the team now. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Comparing Rex to Gruden is like comparing a Mustang to a Farrari. 

Rex talked about winning a SB, Gruden won a SB. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

The game, like everything else in society, has evolved. That's a fact. 

Gruden's acumen is better than Rex ryan's. He stayed current by watching football every single week as an announcer, he's a workaholic - much like belichick - and he's obviously got a much bigger profile. Whether he's successful or not remains to be seen, but there's greater respect for him in NFL hierarchy. 

Rex's defensive schemes are outdated, and we saw evidence of this when he was coaching Buffalo. He was on the same stuff he ran in the mid 2000s with the Ravens. I'd be surprised if anyone hires him. 

I didn’t know the rules of football changed after Rex left

13 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Comparing Rex to Gruden is like comparing a Mustang to a Farrari. 

Rex talked about winning a SB, Gruden won a SB. 

And Rex got closer to winning a SB than any other coach the jets have had since Weeb Ewbank and that includes Bill Parcells 

Gruden struggles for years in Tampa after winning a Super Bowl.  Everyone loses and comes back to earth except Belichick who had the GOAT QB for 20 years and now is struggling without him

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And Rex got closer to winning a SB than any other coach the jets have had since Weeb Ewbank and that includes Bill Parcells 

Gruden struggles for years in Tampa after winning a Super Bowl.  Everyone loses and comes back to earth except Belichick who had the GOAT QB for 20 years and now is struggling without him

Uh, you do know Parcells lost to Denver in The AFCCG, right? 

On top of that, Rex lost to a Pit team we should have beaten to get to the SB. 

Also, as far as your Gruden critiques, Gruden won a SB and did struggle with TN after that because maintaining is harder than building with the way the league is. Rex didn't win a SB and after the 2 year run in the playoffs, never even sniffed them again. So yeah, go talk about that man cruah all you want. Rex was a lousy HC and it is why he is a 2nd rate commentator today.

• Post of the Week 1

55 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Also, as far as your Gruden critiques, Gruden won a SB and did struggle with TN after that because maintaining is harder than building with the way the league is. Rex didn't win a SB and after the 2 year run in the playoffs, never even sniffed them again. So yeah, go talk about that man cruah all you want. Rex was a lousy HC and it is why he is a 2nd rate commentator today.

Uh I do know Rex went to 2 AFCGs and Bill Parcells 1.  And yes before you do the schoolyard nonsense “oh you think Rex is better than Parcells” no I don’t but facts are facts Rex is statistically our most successful head coach since Ewbank.  Best is Parcells but statistically it’s Rex.  

and Rex is way better than Bowles and Gase and whatever clown Woody handpicks next to replace Gase

No one is seriously thinking that Rex should be re-hired as the Jets coach, and I don't think any other NFL teams are seriously thinking about re-hiring Rex long-term either.

But the current coaching situation at the Jets is such a poopshow that I would say that:

• The Rex Ryan regime was much better.
  • I would give him a chance to come back as an interim with the challenge to inspire the players and help clean up the mess.  Throw out Gase and Williams, Boyer can be HC, JBC OC, Rex DC.  
  • Post of the Week 1

On 10/7/2020 at 9:16 AM, Philc1 said:

How did he get "closer" than Bill Parcells to winning a SB? 

The 98 Jets would have almost definitely beaten Atlanta in the SB had they hung onto their 10-0 lead and would have absolutely been favored in the game. Would the Jets have been favored against the Saints in 2009 or the Packers in 2010?

On 10/7/2020 at 2:03 PM, slimjasi said:

How did he get "closer" than Bill Parcells to winning a SB? 

The 98 Jets would have almost definitely beaten Atlanta in the SB had they hung onto their 10-0 lead and would have absolutely been favored in the game. Would the Jets have in been favored against the Saints in 2009 or the Packers in 2010?

The 1998 jets lost the AFCG by 13 points. The 2010 jets team lost the AFCG by 5 points 

Sorry if I’m right in every way possible about this

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 10/7/2020 at 10:29 AM, More Cowbell said:

And he made a Buffalo team even worse.  REX is a bloated fat slob with a 1990 approach to football. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

We all know what’s going to happen. No coach will want to come here. Woody will come back and take charge again, hire Schottenheimer as Head Coach and Rex as DC. Super Bowl baby!!!!

Not if the Jets have the 1st pick this draft.

The next HC to win a Super Bowl as a NY Jet will never buy another meal or drink in the city again. Jets are due for something good. History will just repeat itself without a franchise once in a generation QB.

• Thumb Down 1

Rex biggest skill is hes a great motivator. you give him a 500 team he could win a SB. and Rex is not a bad coach. in 6 jet seasons he was over 500 twice, at 500 twice and below it twice. and he would have had 2 season at 500 in buffalo if he didnt get fired before his last game. is that great? no of course not but the way you guys sound its like asking if we could bring rich kotite back or Bowels. if Rex ever had a QB he could win big. 

did you see the Giants game? did you see when the refs called 2 penalties  to take away those TDs ? Joe Judge was livid. taking off his mask to yell at the refs. when have you ever seen Gase yell at anybody? Bowels? we all remember Rex doing it. sometimes your players need a kick in the ass. it was so nice to have a coach who was tough enough to say he wasnt going to kiss anybodys ring. 

dont worry . im sure they wont bring him back. but he wants it. i listen to him every monday on Barts ESPN show. he doesnt hide the fact that he bleeds Jets green . as bad as this club has been run its nice to see that someone who was here still loves the Jets and wants to come back. 

i will take Rex back. i know what we get with him if we can put a little more talent on this team. players play for Rex. and he can handle the media. 

5 hours ago, doitny said:

Rex biggest skill is hes a great motivator. you give him a 500 team he could win a SB. and Rex is not a bad coach. in 6 jet seasons he was over 500 twice, at 500 twice and below it twice. and he would have had 2 season at 500 in buffalo if he didnt get fired before his last game. is that great? no of course not but the way you guys sound its like asking if we could bring rich kotite back or Bowels. if Rex ever had a QB he could win big. 

did you see the Giants game? did you see when the refs called 2 penalties  to take away those TDs ? Joe Judge was livid. taking off his mask to yell at the refs. when have you ever seen Gase yell at anybody? Bowels? we all remember Rex doing it. sometimes your players need a kick in the ass. it was so nice to have a coach who was tough enough to say he wasnt going to kiss anybodys ring. 

dont worry . im sure they wont bring him back. but he wants it. i listen to him every monday on Barts ESPN show. he doesnt hide the fact that he bleeds Jets green . as bad as this club has been run its nice to see that someone who was here still loves the Jets and wants to come back. 

i will take Rex back. i know what we get with him if we can put a little more talent on this team. players play for Rex. and he can handle the media. 

Rex is the king of momentum. When things are going well, he keeps the party going. When things are going badly... look out below.