Adam Gase addresses Le'Veon Bell release

2 hours ago, jgb said:

You have done the biggest turnaround in history. From my least to most favorite person overnight.

love me or hate me... just please don’t ignore me.

You cracked the jgb code

jgb watch him in interviews the way he talks and the faces he makes something is not right 

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

So, cutting Bell results in the Jets paying him $6,000,000 to sit on his couch, or more likely, play for another team.

I thought one of the reasons the Jets were not firing Adam Gase during the season is because the Johnsons didn't want to pay Gase to sit at home on his couch? I think Gase makes about $2,000,000 per year. So, they'd prefer to eat $6,000,000 of Bell's Salary rather than less then $6,000,000 of Gase's salary? Do these guys understand Math?

At what point do the Johnsons prove to be so inept that we can go to court to seek to have the Jets put in a Receivership?

I think alot of people have this wrong about releasing Bell.  Maybe I am wrong but reading through the lines of Douglas's comments, to me it seemed like Bells agent probably approached the jets, who he knew had been trying to trade him, and basically said "look Lev's fed up with all the stuff, you know he's tried to keep it quiet but the losing is frustrating and he cant stand gase, we gotta get him out of here". Douglas tried everything he could after that to trade him, apparently not even being able to get a late round pick, so they agreed to release him.  To me, it was less about helping Gase, and more about doing Bell a solid. 

But hey thats my interpretation, everyones open to their own. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Of course not he wasn't an Adam Gase ball washer. 

Well, no. As was explained aptly by SE in this thread, it was very likely that the Jets did not want to have LB on the team next year,

But, if Bell gets seriously injured, he is guaranteed that money for next year, Meaning the Jets would not have around $12 m to spend elsewhere. Was it really worth it to you to chance that risk just to watch Bell fall down the rest of the year?

It was good risk mitigation.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Well, no. As was explained aptly by SE in this thread, it was very likely that the Jets did not want to have LB on the team next year,

But, if Bell gets seriously injured, he is guaranteed that money for next year, Meaning the Jets would not have around $12 m to spend elsewhere. Was it really worth it to you to chance that risk just to watch Bell fall down the rest of the year?

It was good risk mitigation.

Understood and agree. but for the record the roster is worse now than when JD took over as GM. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I think alot of people have this wrong about releasing Bell.  Maybe I am wrong but reading through the lines of Douglas's comments, to me it seemed like Bells agent probably approached the jets, who he knew had been trying to trade him, and basically said "look Lev's fed up with all the stuff, you know he's tried to keep it quiet but the losing is frustrating and he cant stand gase, we gotta get him out of here". Douglas tried everything he could after that to trade him, apparently not even being able to get a late round pick, so they agreed to release him.  To me, it was less about helping Gase, and more about doing Bell a solid. 

But hey thats my interpretation, everyones open to their own. 

I think this is pretty close to the mark, especially given reports that the Jets gave Bell's agent to speak to teams directly. The relationship between Gase and Bell was clearly irretrievably broken and Douglas made the call that it was best if everyone moved on, even if it means the Jets eat some dead money to get it done.

• Upvote 1

Bell is not done and he will go on to have multiple successful seasons, if he can stay healthy. Often times when folks suffer from Dunning-Kruger they over compensate with baseless exertion of power. That is what he has done in both Miami, and now here. Internally he knows he is in over his head, so he lashes out at informal leaders amongst his subordinates in a misguided attempt to prove competence. Classic!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

In the field of psychology, the DunningKruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability.

In other words, they’re too stupid to know they’re stupid 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Two separate things can be true at once:

1. JD cut Bell because of the injury risk and guaranteed costs in 2021 if he was hurt, when the team had no plan to bring him back.

2. Gase is an egomaniac completely lacking in people skills who completely misused Bell as an asset, and doesn't much care about cutting a guy he never wanted in the first place who didn't fit himself into Gase's brilliant Offensive system.

Two things, both (IMO) independently true.

Yeah, I was thinking about this today. If Douglas fired Gase and named Gregg the interim coach and Gregg cut Leveon Bell, the fans would look at it positively—a no-nonsense coach cutting an unproductive malcontent player and righting the ship.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think it was far simpler: we're not keeping Bell next year at $16MM but if he gets injured badly between now & the end of the season then his 2021 contract becomes guaranteed.

Maccagnan did the same thing with Coples, months after exercising the player's 5th year option, despite the team having basically no OLBs (Pace + Mauldin) and nothing suddenly happening to accelerate the team cutting bait with him. That following year was only an injury guarantee: you can cut him if he's healthy & he's uncuttable if he's injured, and that next year's $ was way too much to risk getting caught holding the hot potato. 

Thanks for this.   I don’t think many people know what is or might be in a player contract.  Bell was going to gone after this season. If he does have an injury clause there’s no point in keeping him and the risk.  It’s just another bad Maccagnan contract.

1 hour ago, BloodGreen said:

Bell is not done and he will go on to have multiple successful seasons, if he can stay healthy. Often times when folks suffer from Dunning-Kruger they over compensate with baseless exertion of power. That is what he has done in both Miami, and now here. Internally he knows he is in over his head, so he lashes out at informal leaders amongst his subordinates in a misguided attempt to prove competence. Classic!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Oh so now there’s a psychologist on the site.  Uh huh. Whatever.  Without ever once meeting gase people just have so many opinions about his mental health.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I was thinking about this today. If Douglas fired Gase and named Gregg the interim coach and Gregg cut Leveon Bell, the fans would look at it positively—a no-nonsense coach cutting an unproductive malcontent player and righting the ship.

Except Williams would not have cut Bell

Bell and Gase have hated eachother since day 1

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Agree.  Bell hurt Gase’s vagina with twitter tweets

How would you feel about roster management if Bell get's hurt this year with a serious injury, and is then guaranteed a roster spot and the Jets are on the hook for next year's salary? Do you think that would be smart management?

Enunwa on a greater scale.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Did you see the 3rd down and 1 pitch play to him this past Sunday - he looked like a sloth trying to turn the corner. Either he was severely dogging it or he's done. A contender may get some value out of him but his burst is gone. 

A pitch on 3rd and 1 makes no sense anyway since you need to run 6 yards just to get back to the line of scrimmage.  Lousy play calling but what else is new.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Green DNA said:

A pitch on 3rd and 1 makes no sense anyway since you need to run 6 yards just to get back to the line of scrimmage.  Lousy play calling but what else is new.

Its not a lousy play call .On 3rd and 1 opponents stack the LOS , it makes it easier to get to the corner and outside . If Bell had any semblance of a burst it would have been an easy 1st down. You guys here complain when Gase has them run up the middle then when he makes a good call he gets bashed on that also. If you can bash him for anything , perhaps the player getting the pitch should have been Perine.

• Thumb Down 1

23 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Its not a lousy play call .On 3rd and 1 opponents stack the LOS , it makes it easier to get to the corner and outside . If Bell had any semblance of a burst it would have been an easy 1st down. You guys here complain when Gase has them run up the middle then when he makes a good call he gets bashed on that also. If you can bash him for anything , perhaps the player getting the pitch should have been Perine.

Needing 7 yards to get back to the line of scrimmage on 3rd and 1 is not a good call.  

• Sympathy 1

The thing that I truly love about our attempt at finding a silver lining in the release of Bell , is that we believe (me included) that this will give Perinne more opportunities on offense. However, the FACT is that that Bell was out for 3.5 games already, and Perrine didn't get chances with Bell out. How is this any different? Gase didn't give Perrine opportunities when Bell was on IR, and he is magically going to give him more chances now? We Jet fans, on a whole, are predominantly suckers.

32 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The thing that I truly love about our attempt at finding a silver lining in the release of Bell , is that we believe (me included) that this will give Perinne more opportunities on offense. However, the FACT is that that Bell was out for 3.5 games already, and Perrine didn't get chances with Bell out. How is this any different? Gase didn't give Perrine opportunities when Bell was on IR, and he is magically going to give him more chances now? We Jet fans, on a whole, are predominantly suckers.

And if Gore gets hurt (a virtual impossibility given his track record), get ready for the Ty Johnson show!  lol.  

44 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

You're probably right, but Perine was also injured during that same time period.