Baldy on Becton...atleast we have him

Jetstream

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I hear ya but We have a few more. It will take a min to get them to where they need to be though.    Mims, Hall and Clark all have legit potential to be effective starters. 

If that should come to pass JD's first draft just might be one of the best in our history. 

We suck so bad  lol 

At minimum it would be the best Jets draft class since 2007.  Hell, it might already be.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Jets have two building blocks. Bechton and Q. We are a QB and 10-12 starters from relevance.

CJ Mosley

Mims, Crowder

There isn't a lot left. Hopefully the rust can be knocked off some of the others like Herndon and Griffin. Bless Austin is a # 2 CB...Perine is probably a # 2 QB.

This team needs a lot of help though. No doubt about it.

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Agreed. Even with 2007 only getting us 4 picks it was still one of our best.  lol

I can only really think of one off the top of my head that really stands out.  That's 2006. What a slam dunk fest that one was eh?  Even guys like Clemens and Coleman were decent reserves for a while.  I seriously struggle to see why the hell that can't be the case almost every year.  Front end studs sprinkled with role players and reserves.

Yeah its a crap shoot, but luck favors the well prepared.  I could have absolutely, without question built a better team than the Jets have done outside of 2006, 2007.

Let's hope the 2020 class is the beginning of that being the case. 

Your 2nd part of the bolded statement is true because the first part is false.  It's not a crapshoot.  It's more like Poker. 

Yeah, a good bit of luck is involved.  But there's a reason a lot of the same players seem to end up at the final table all the time.  If it was all or even mostly just luck, then there would be no "good poker players", just simply lucky poker players.  And we all know that's not the case.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Your 2nd part of the bolded statement is true because the first part is false.  It's not a crapshoot.  It's more like Poker. 

Yeah, a good bit of luck is involved.  But there's a reason a lot of the same players seem to end up at the final table all the time.  If it was all or even mostly just luck, then there would be no "good poker players", just simply lucky poker players.  And we all know that's not the case.

Totes Mcgoats

There are teams that just know how to do it. And then there are teams that don't even have a guy from the football world occupying the President of Football operations role.   

7 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Totes Mcgoats

There are teams that just know how to do it. And then there are teams that don't even have a guy from the football world occupying the President of Football operations role.   

This is the Jets Nation equivalent of the Roman Senator Cato saying "Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed." to end every public speech.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yup.  

Look no further than all the great players drafted by the Ravens ever since Ozzie Newsome was named GM in 1996.  When you consider how often they drafted at the back end of rounds, it's simply staggering:

• Jonathan Ogden (1996, pick 1.4)
  • Ray Lewis (1996, 1.26)
  • Ed Reed (2002, pick 1.24)
  • Terrell Suggs (2003, 1.10)
  • Haloti Ngata (2006, 1.12)
  • Marshal Yanda (2007, 3.86)
  • Chris McAllister (1999, 1.10)
  • Adalius Thomas (2000, 6.186)
  • Jamie Sharper (1997, 2.34)
  • C.J. Mosley (2014, 1.17)
  • Peter Boulware (1997, 1.4)
  • Jamal Lewis (2000, 1.5)
  • Joe Flacco (2008, 1.18)
  • Ray Rice (2008, 2.55)
  • Chris Chester (2006, 2.56)

Say what you will about Flacco, but he had an incredible postseason run in 2012.

Among that list of 15 players, 3 are HOFers (Ogden, Lewis, Reed).  Two of them coming from the 1st round of the same draft!  Wow.  That's the stuff of legends for an NFL GM.

I imagine Suggs, Ngata, and Yanda will all end up in the HOF as well.  7 Pro Bowls and one 1st team All-Pro for Suggs, 5 Pro Bowls and two 1st Team All-Pros for Ngata, 8 Pro Bowls and two 1st Team All-Pros for Yanda.  Guys with that many accolades plus a Super Bowl ring don't tend to miss out on the HOF.

6 HOFers over an 11-year period.  6!  Incredible.  And that isn't all or mostly just luck.  Not a chance.

Steelers have similar Draft results, meanwhile back at the Jets..

We have basically picked top 10 or even top 5 for most of the decade, and apart from Becton and may be Q who do we have?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I hear ya but We have a few more. It will take a min to get them to where they need to be though.    Mims, Hall and Clark all have legit potential to be effective starters. 

If that should come to pass JD's first draft just might be one of the best in our history. 

We suck so bad  lol 

I wouldn't forget Davis either... I know it's real early, but he needs to be out on the field learning.

We suck so bad  lol 

I have hope for those guys. But they ain't at building block status, yet.

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yup.  

Look no further than all the great players drafted by the Ravens ever since Ozzie Newsome was named GM in 1996.  When you consider how often they drafted at the back end of rounds, it's simply staggering:

Spot on.... Hopefully we have our own Ozzie now in JD. I know he's not perfect, nobody is, but from what I've seen so far (with a couple of mistakes) here and there, I think he has shown that he can handle the job. It's worth it to give him a chance, and for CJ and WJ to give him that chance and let him take over all decisions related to the NY JETS at this time with both the coach and Hymie reporting to him.

That will tell me all I need to know about him and whether he can fire AG, even though it was AG who got him the job.

• Upvote 2

Really, in any draft , your 1st and 2nd rd picks should be immediate starters, and be major impact players, if not good/great. The remaining rounds should be to get starter/depth guys, players who can play in this league. Just looking at our drafts for years, most of them did not come close to any of these goals. So far, this draft is bucking the recent trend. Hopefully, Clark and Hall get on the field soon, too. It's early, but maybe, just maybe, this will be the draft we will point to in a few years as the one that turned things around.

• Upvote 2

Totes Mcgoats

GMs who select based on consensus BAP suck for 2 reasons: (1) they don't have confidence in their own scouting/prowess and (2) when you pick consensus BAP, you invariably get guys who dropped for a good reason.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I wouldn't forget Davis either... I know it's real early, but he needs to be out on the field learning.

It’s so funny how Jet fans already think Davis is a bust. Playing safety in college, especially free safety, the transition is really hard. 
The athletes your lining up against & the schemes, routes, pick plays, it takes time & repetition to learn. 
I think Maye gets resigned & Davis ends up being pretty damn good, he’s got speed, can tackle, works hard, and he’s smart. Certain positions take time. Bless Austin will be a good #2. Let’s pray Hall is a sleeper! 
That will ease the burden a bit in the draft & let JD find some pass rushers, that’s priority #1 in this new NFL. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

We suck so bad  lol 

As bad as this team is, it’s almost inconceivable that beckton, mims and Perine all have shown promise and all are rookies on offense.  And if Clark also does, you’d have 4 potential starters - with mims and beckton possibly really good ones - all in one draft class.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

As long as he stays healthy I think Becton will be the best LT in the game at some point. May not be next season but the guy is an absolute stud.

I am anxious to see how he handles his first offseason as a rich guy. Will he be disciplined with his diet and training, or will have read his own press clippings, got a big head and show up to camp at 440lbs?

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, jgb said:

GMs who select based on consensus BAP suck for 2 reasons: (1) they don't have confidence in their own scouting/prowess and (2) when you pick consensus BAP, you invariably get guys who dropped for a good reason.

The kind of guy who always takes the BAP is the same type of guy who has to wait till last call to pick up girls.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Agreed. Even with 2007 only getting us 4 picks it was still one of our best.  lol

I can only really think of one off the top of my head that really stands out.  That's 2006. What a slam dunk fest that one was eh?  Even guys like Clemens and Coleman were decent reserves for a while.  I seriously struggle to see why the hell that can't be the case almost every year.  Front end studs sprinkled with role players and reserves.

Yeah its a crap shoot, but luck favors the well prepared.  I could have absolutely, without question built a better team than the Jets have done outside of 2006, 2007.

Let's hope the 2020 class is the beginning of that being the case. 

It's more than a crap shoot.  It's more than just the players themselves.

Sure, individual players might be a crap shoot. But it's more about draft construction and team building than anything else. 

Continuing to draft DL, MLB and S in the first round is the biggest problems - those were mostly solid players. They didn't all turn into all-pro's but they all weren't busts either.

If we got Mo, Sheldon, Leo, Adams level players at important positions - the team would be MUCH better.

Mo level talent at WR is better for the team, Sheldon level talent at T is better for the team.  Leo level talent TE is better for the team.  Adam level talent at Edge hugely helps the team.

The problem is we had people running this organization that truly didn't understand the basic fundamentals of building a quality roster in today's NFL.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's more than a crap shoot.  It's more than just the players themselves.

Sure, individual players might be a crap shoot. But it's more about draft construction and team building than anything else. 

Continuing to draft DL, MLB and S in the first round is the biggest problems - those were mostly solid players. They didn't all turn into all-pro's but they all weren't busts either.

If we got Mo, Sheldon, Leo, Adams level players at important positions - the team would be MUCH better.

Mo level talent at WR is better for the team, Sheldon level talent at T is better for the team.  Leo level talent TE is better for the team.  Adam level talent at Edge hugely helps the team.

The problem is we had people running this organization that truly didn't understand the basic fundamentals of building a quality roster in today's NFL.

Look what ignoring the Oline for 9 years has done to this team! Look at teams with injuries at Oline (Dallas!). Look at their skill positions & they'll be picking in the top of the draft in 2021. 

Joe Douglas believes in strong trench play. That's a positive right there. Secondly & he's repeated it ad nauseum, speed kills or BURSTS PIPES was his quote. At least with JD & his philosophy on how to build a team we all agree with. Now it's just that small matter of picking the right players. 

I know things seem a bit hopeless, but we still have a bunch of guys to watch over these last 8 games. Huff?, Zuninga? Hall? Clark? Anyone of these young guys has a chance to stick in the NFL & contribute. Strengthening the interior of the line is much easier than finding a LT who we nailed & sans injury might be called the best young LT in football. 

Creed Humphey would be a target along with 1 free agent signing like Thuney, could elevate the Oline to elite status very quickly. You slide McGovern over to Guard, let him fight it out with Clark & may the best man win & Bam, you've got depth & McGovern as your backup Center. 

You put that Oline in front of TL or Fields, along with adding an Allen Robinson, Mims in his 2nd year, Crowder, a new TE? Ettiene or Harris with Perine as the #2, your off & running quickly in JDs 2nd year! And your talking about still having 7 more draft picks based on a Sam Darnold trade. 

Plus 9 more picks in 2022, with 2 firsts & who knows what JD can do trading back with his at one of his two 3rd round spots in 2021. 

Having both a lot of free agent dollars plus a lot of draft picks in the next 2 drafts, with an actual football guy here is exciting as hell. I'm going to watch these young guys develop the last 8 games, cheer late losing FG misses knowing that the only thing that matters this year is finding a few more starters for next year so we can target more needs. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Look what ignoring the Oline for 9 years has done to this team! Look at teams with injuries at Oline (Dallas!). Look at their skill positions & they'll be picking in the top of the draft in 2021. 

Joe Douglas believes in strong trench play. That's a positive right there. Secondly & he's repeated it ad nauseum, speed kills or BURSTS PIPES was his quote. At least with JD & his philosophy on how to build a team we all agree with. Now it's just that small matter of picking the right players. 

I know things seem a bit hopeless, but we still have a bunch of guys to watch over these last 8 games. Huff?, Zuninga? Hall? Clark? Anyone of these young guys has a chance to stick in the NFL & contribute. Strengthening the interior of the line is much easier than finding a LT who we nailed & sans injury might be called the best young LT in football. 

Creed Humphey would be a target along with 1 free agent signing like Thuney, could elevate the Oline to elite status very quickly. You slide McGovern over to Guard, let him fight it out with Clark & may the best man win & Bam, you've got depth & McGovern as your backup Center. 

You put that Oline in front of TL or Fields, along with adding an Allen Robinson, Mims in his 2nd year, Crowder, a new TE? Ettiene or Harris with Perine as the #2, your off & running quickly in JDs 2nd year! And your talking about still having 7 more draft picks based on a Sam Darnold trade. 

Plus 9 more picks in 2022, with 2 firsts & who knows what JD can do trading back with his at one of his two 3rd round spots in 2021. 

Having both a lot of free agent dollars plus a lot of draft picks in the next 2 drafts, with an actual football guy here is exciting as hell. I'm going to watch these young guys develop the last 8 games, cheer late losing FG misses knowing that the only thing that matters this year is finding a few more starters for next year so we can target more needs. 

I'm with you, I don't think we're as far away as most think. But I think you have to commit to building the offense with all premium resources.  

If we draft a QB 1...then go on to take OL and WR's with our next few picks.  Sign the best T and WR in FA you can.

the trick is to do EVERYTHING in your power to support and help build our new young QB.  If you take this 1 for offense, 1 for defense approach - at best we become a mediocre team.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, jgb said:

Jets have two building blocks. Bechton and Q. We are a QB and 10-12 starters from relevance.

We have more than just two:

We potentially have a serviceable RB, WR, depth on both lines, and a starting caliber CB.  

But I get the sentiment. 

It probably looks something like this:

QB, WR1, WR depth, RB1, LG, C, EDGE x 2, CB1, Safety 1.

Then, it gets to be depth EVERYWHERE.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm with you, I don't think we're as far away as most think. But I think you have to commit to building the offense with all premium resources.  

If we draft a QB 1...then go on to take OL and WR's with our next few picks.  Sign the best T and WR in FA you can.

the trick is to do EVERYTHING in your power to support and help build our new young QB.  If you take this 1 for offense, 1 for defense approach - at best we become a mediocre team.

While yes, you can't pick an offensive player just for the sake of picking an offensive player, unless you move down in the draft and accumulate future resources.  

I would MUCH prefer taking a great edge rusher who slipped in the draft with our 1st number 3 pick than reaching on a RG for the sake of taking offense. 

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

While yes, you can't pick an offensive player just for the sake of picking an offensive player, unless you move down in the draft and accumulate future resources.  

I would MUCH prefer taking a great edge rusher who slipped in the draft with our 1st number 3 pick than reaching on a RG for the sake of taking offense. 

Absolutely! But remember, if JD makes this 2021 draft about offense at the top, i.e. A draft like, TL or Field, Humphrey, Etienne or Harris, and still has 7 draft picks? He might start already thinking his 2022 draft might be the 1 he gets the stud game changing edge rusher. Or, this years 2nd if he sees a TJ Watt type player. Damn that guy is good!