??? Hypothetical draft scenario ???

JTJet

Just curious for sh*ts and gigs. 

IF we finish with the first pick, and Jacksonville finishes with the second pick, considering all of the holes we need to fill, would you entertain a trade down to the second pick for the right haul? 

In this scenario, we would drop down 1 slot (Obviously giving Trev up) but gain both Jacksonville's first rounders this year, and another in 2022, and this years second as well. 

That gives 8 top 100 picks (agree or disagree with who I picked, I gave what the draft presented me)

Personally I dont want Fields, but this would be hard to say no to. 

20201116_204312.jpg

Screenshot_20201116-203038_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Upvote 3

Just now, Beerfish said:

I'd easily make that trade.  The Lawrence people would not but that is  a huge haul  I can;t see you getting that much for moving down 1 spot.

Yeah the Trev people gonna Trev, simple as that. 

But the simulator gave me the offer, and I said let's see where it goes. 

That is a HUGE haul that leaves us with 3 first rounders in 2022 as well. I think responsible GMs would consider it. 

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

@JTJet 

Is the value of 1 slot trade up really 3 first round picks and 2 second round picks? There’s a 400 point differential between pick #1 & #2. Pick 21 =800 points and #34=560. On top of that next years #1 & #2???

Seems like a lot. 

Yes it does, but like I said, I went with what the simulator gave me. 

Also, you have to throw out the trade value charts in scenarios like this with a QB like Trev. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, jgb said:

Don't get cute. Don't get fancy. Don't overthink it. Draft Trevor.

there's sense in this statement -- but there's also the matter of making whatever "perceived" advantage you get w/ TL, reduced to zero..

Maybe a better way to say that--

Fields + FOUR Top 50 players >>> Trevor Lawrence.

IMO he's not that much better than Fields.

• Upvote 2

If someone is going to give us stupid value to trade back 1 pick.  Take it.  Especially if it is a team like Jax who is probably not going to be very good next year.  Talk about an opportunity to jump start the rebuild.

That said, these simulators are may be fun, but they are in no way realistic.  Fun discussion, but there is no way we get a haul like that to move from 1 to 2.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

there's sense in this statement -- but there's also the matter of making whatever "perceived" advantage you get w/ TL, reduced to zero..

Maybe, maybe not. There is certainly wisdom in diversifying your selections to reduce the risk of an "all eggs in one basket" bust. And QBs bust all the time. Ryan Leaf was favored by more than half of GMs surveyed before that draft over Manning. We all know what happened there. However, I don't think it's as simple as weighing Lawrence and Fields together because a 10% delta in QB skill can be absolutely huge. Now, if a GM has equal confidence in Lawrence and Fields as far as not busting, maybe then you do the deal. But if you have one clearly ahead of the other -- even if by a very small amount -- you don't second-guess yourself when you're in the position to get the QB you want. I believe JD is not like Macc and will not be content to just "be in the position to get one of the top QBs and let fate decide which one we get." I believe he will come to a clear preference and he will have confidence in that. Then he won't play games and he will draft the guy he wants. Even if its Fields (small chance IMHO) I think he'll take the guy he wants at #1, if that's where we are slotted.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Imagine what our salary cap hit will be 5-7 years from now for 20-22 drafts?

Six #1’s=Becton+JF+WR+Edge+RB+?

An additional ten 2nd & 3rd rounders?

Wont be able to field a full 52 man squad  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Imagine what our salary cap hit will be 5-7 years from now for 20-22 drafts?

Six #1’s=Becton+JF+WR+Edge+RB+?

An additional ten 2nd & 3rd rounders?

Wont be able to field a full 52 man squad  

That sounds like a first world problem and a good problem to have since the current NYJs belong on a late night commercial asking for $5 to feed six starving kids eating from a garbage dump

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

That sounds like a first world problem and a good problem to have since the current NYJs belong on a late night commercial asking for $5 to feed six starving kids eating from a garbage dump

Yeah, that would suck to have so many good players at the same time.  What a horror.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Yeah, that would suck to have so many good players at the same time.  What a horror.

I swear some people are more concerned with Woody's P&L statement than he is. Before we start wringing hands over extension costs, let's get some talent in here worthy of extending.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Greenseed4 said:

The only way I make that trade is if Trevor comes out pre-draft and says he won’t play for the Jets. 

I would then get a sick satisfaction knowing that JAX couldn’t afford to surround TL with talent the way we would Fields.

Why can't JAX afford talent the way Jets can?

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I'd easily make that trade.  The Lawrence people would not but that is  a huge haul  I can;t see you getting that much for moving down 1 spot.

I think the Jags could be taken for a ride like that. The problem I have is Fields as the backup plan. no one can name a single Ohio State QB that's made in the NFL. Thats spooky to say they least. If we did that trade, I'd keep sam and take Zach Wilson with one of the later 1sts or even the 2nd. 

Fields has the odds stacked against him. 

• Upvote 1

No way. Not a chance in hell. 

The last time our Jets traded away the #1 pick we passed up on a future SB winning and HOF Franchise LT in Orlando Pace;

let's not make that same mistake on a #1 overall pick @ the QUARTERBACK POSITION. 

And if Jacksonville is willing to trade away all of that draft capital in order to move up one spot, doesn't that tell you that they want nothing to do with Justin Fields and are absolutely in love with Trevor Lawrence? 

No. I'm not willing to make another team instant draft winners at our Jets expense. 

We're already loaded with A+ available salary cap and the most amount of draft picks of any other Franchise over the next 3 draft's; etc.

at some point we need to draft quality over quantity or else you get stuck with an Idzik type draft. 

You want to trade back with our 1st round Seattle pick? Trade back with our 1st pick of the 2nd round? Trade back with our two 3rd rounders etc in order to gain more draft capital? Do it. But not with the #1 overall pick.

• Upvote 2

I'd say yes make the trade. But now we get into whether we're keeping Sam or if we're drafting a quarterback. So this is a trap thread LOL.

In this scenario our four best options are Lawrence, Fields, Darnold, Zach Miller. I don't follow college football and I'm really not into stats. To me it has more to do with the eye test of playing style and the man's character.

Also I have this funny little thing I do. I like to go check out the prospects when they're being interviewed. I like to know who I'm actually rooting for if I'm going to live and die by a team.

Easy example would be Nick Mangold. We need more guys like him. I'd love to buy Nick a beer! Well spoken honest straight up dude who likes hockey fights!

On the other hand we need less guys like Mark Sanchez. I'd give Mark Sanchez a swirly and a wedgie.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Just curious for sh*ts and gigs. 

IF we finish with the first pick, and Jacksonville finishes with the second pick, considering all of the holes we need to fill, would you entertain a trade down to the second pick for the right haul? 

In this scenario, we would drop down 1 slot (Obviously giving Trev up) but gain both Jacksonville's first rounders this year, and another in 2022, and this years second as well. 

That gives 8 top 100 picks (agree or disagree with who I picked, I gave what the draft presented me)

Personally I dont want Fields, but this would be hard to say no to. 

20201116_204312.jpg

Screenshot_20201116-203038_Samsung Internet.jpg

It would just be the 2022 pick if that much. I doubt they even offer that.

4 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

No way. Not a chance in hell. 

The last time our Jets traded away the #1 pick we passed up on a future SB winning and HOF Franchise LT in Orlando Pace;

let's not make that same mistake on a #1 overall pick @ the QUARTERBACK POSITION. 

And if Jacksonville is willing to trade away all of that draft capital in order to move up one spot, doesn't that tell you that they want nothing to do with Justin Fields and are absolutely in love with Trevor Lawrence? 

No. I'm not willing to make another team instant draft winners at our Jets expense. 

We're already loaded with A+ available salary cap and the most amount of draft picks of any other Franchise over the next 3 draft's; etc.

at some point we need to draft quality over quantity or else you get stuck with an Idzik type draft. 

You want to trade back with our 1st round Seattle pick? Trade back with our 1st pick of the 2nd round? Trade back with our two 3rd rounders etc in order to gain more draft capital? Do it. But not with the #1 overall pick.

This draft cannot be effed up. Not only is the team riding on it but so is JD’s reputation and career. I don’t see him taking any risk at all and getting cute with getting the QB he wants.

• Upvote 2