Is there hope for the Jets rebuild? The Dolphins and Cardinals prove there is

joewilly12

Is there hope for the Jets’ rebuild? The Dolphins and Cardinals prove there is

Updated 7:56 AM; Today 7:45 AM 
Joe Douglas

The New York Jets are stuck in a rebuild, but the 2020 success of the Miami Dolphins and Arizona Cardinals prove things can turn around quickly.AP

Their losses came by an average of 23 points. They had the 31st ranked offense and defense in the NFL. They were called, by many, one of the worst teams in the NFL’s history.

That might sound like the 2020 Jets, but that was the reality for the 2019 Miami Dolphins. Those stats reflected the team’s first seven games last season, which were all resounding defeats. The team seemed destined for ineptitude and a long path back to relevancy.

Flash forward just one year later, and the Dolphins are in the conversation for the playoffs in 2020 following a 6-3 start. After scraping out five wins in 2019 following an 0-7 start, Miami found continued traction this season, and they’re poised avoid the NFL’s basement for the foreseeable future.

It took less than 12 months for the Dolphins to go from the league’s biggest joke to one of its best stories.

So it’s worth asking the question: Can the same happen to the Jets?

While the Jets seem to be stuck in a perpetual rebuild during their 10-season playoff drought, the recent quick turnarounds by both the Dolphins and the Arizona Cardinals can provide a blue print for how the Jets can climb out of the hole in upcoming seasons.

The Cardinals bottomed out with a 3-13 season in 2018, leading to the No. 1 pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, where they drafted quarterback Kyler Murray. They struggled to a 5-10-1 record his first season, but they’re also 6-3 now and right in the middle of the 2020 playoff race.

While the Jets drafting Sam Darnold third overall in 2018 hasn’t paid off the way Murray has for the Cardinals or Tua Tagovailoa has for the Dolphins, New York could be in position to take Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence No. 1 overall in 2021, giving the team the opportunity to hit reset at quarterback if deemed necessary.

In recent seasons, both of the Cardinals and Dolphins had big draft classes. The Cardinals made 11 picks in the 2019 NFL Draft, while the Dolphins selected 11 times in 2020, including three players in the first round

The Jets are well positioned to do the same in the coming seasons. They have nine picks in 2021, including two first rounders and five picks in the opening three rounds. They will then have 11 picks in 2022, including two more first rounders.

Both the Cardinals and Dolphins hired first-time NFL coaches and started building around them. Arizona hired Kliff Kingsbury in 2019, the same year the Dolphins hired Brian Flores. If the Jets move on from Adam Gase after 2019, someone like Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy could fit the same mold.

Most of the Dolphins' additions in 2020 came through the NFL Draft, but the Cardinals' major move came via trade when they added All-Pro wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins from the Houston Texans. That gave Murray a bonafide playmaker, and it’s already paying dividends through nine games.

The Jets are projected to have $56.6 million in cap space entering the offseason, ranking among the highest in the NFL. GM Joe Douglas said long-term success isn’t built through adding high-priced free agents, so don’t expect the Jets to go on a spending spree that way in 2021.

But that cap space can be used to take advantage of other teams struggling against the salary cap. If Douglas can find ways to poach players off other teams to add talent without giving up major assets, the Jets could have a completely different look in just one season.

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Since joining the Jets, Adam Gase’s record in the crucial months of November and December is 6-4.  

SAR I

I think JD has stepped in to undercut this possibility.  He has traded, released and placed on IR many of the Jets more experienced players.  Hopefully, that will undercut any (mythical?) Gase ability to snatch a victory.  Go Jags!

• Sympathy 1

A dramatic turnaround is certainly possible.  But this is the Jets...

JD may or may not be the GM to do it.  But on the little we have seen, there's reason for hope.  He looks better than any Jets hire since Parcels.  But that is a low bar.

Also, the Johnson family needs to step back and turn management over to JD.  Let him hire the new coach.  With a real football exec (hopefully) in charge, the Jets could go into 2021 with grounds for optimism.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Is there hope for the Jets’ rebuild? The Dolphins and Cardinals prove there is

Updated 7:56 AM; Today 7:45 AM 
Joe Douglas

The New York Jets are stuck in a rebuild, but the 2020 success of the Miami Dolphins and Arizona Cardinals prove things can turn around quickly.AP

Their losses came by an average of 23 points. They had the 31st ranked offense and defense in the NFL. They were called, by many, one of the worst teams in the NFL’s history.

That might sound like the 2020 Jets, but that was the reality for the 2019 Miami Dolphins. Those stats reflected the team’s first seven games last season, which were all resounding defeats. The team seemed destined for ineptitude and a long path back to relevancy.

Flash forward just one year later, and the Dolphins are in the conversation for the playoffs in 2020 following a 6-3 start. After scraping out five wins in 2019 following an 0-7 start, Miami found continued traction this season, and they’re poised avoid the NFL’s basement for the foreseeable future.

It took less than 12 months for the Dolphins to go from the league’s biggest joke to one of its best stories.

So it’s worth asking the question: Can the same happen to the Jets?

While the Jets seem to be stuck in a perpetual rebuild during their 10-season playoff drought, the recent quick turnarounds by both the Dolphins and the Arizona Cardinals can provide a blue print for how the Jets can climb out of the hole in upcoming seasons.

The Cardinals bottomed out with a 3-13 season in 2018, leading to the No. 1 pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, where they drafted quarterback Kyler Murray. They struggled to a 5-10-1 record his first season, but they’re also 6-3 now and right in the middle of the 2020 playoff race.

While the Jets drafting Sam Darnold third overall in 2018 hasn’t paid off the way Murray has for the Cardinals or Tua Tagovailoa has for the Dolphins, New York could be in position to take Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence No. 1 overall in 2021, giving the team the opportunity to hit reset at quarterback if deemed necessary.

In recent seasons, both of the Cardinals and Dolphins had big draft classes. The Cardinals made 11 picks in the 2019 NFL Draft, while the Dolphins selected 11 times in 2020, including three players in the first round

The Jets are well positioned to do the same in the coming seasons. They have nine picks in 2021, including two first rounders and five picks in the opening three rounds. They will then have 11 picks in 2022, including two more first rounders.

Both the Cardinals and Dolphins hired first-time NFL coaches and started building around them. Arizona hired Kliff Kingsbury in 2019, the same year the Dolphins hired Brian Flores. If the Jets move on from Adam Gase after 2019, someone like Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy could fit the same mold.

Most of the Dolphins' additions in 2020 came through the NFL Draft, but the Cardinals' major move came via trade when they added All-Pro wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins from the Houston Texans. That gave Murray a bonafide playmaker, and it’s already paying dividends through nine games.

The Jets are projected to have $56.6 million in cap space entering the offseason, ranking among the highest in the NFL. GM Joe Douglas said long-term success isn’t built through adding high-priced free agents, so don’t expect the Jets to go on a spending spree that way in 2021.

But that cap space can be used to take advantage of other teams struggling against the salary cap. If Douglas can find ways to poach players off other teams to add talent without giving up major assets, the Jets could have a completely different look in just one season.

you know it really isnt complicated...but many teams have rebuilt, the problem for has alwasy been mulitple things all adding up to garbage but getting a good GM that knows how to build a roster has always been the biggest area of need, only recently have we had the problem of needing a NFL quality HC...even bowls wasnt this bad..then mix on top needed to hit on some drafts ...seee issue number 1. 

THe good news is that our team is giving ourselves a chance, the great news is that timing wise there is a QB out there worth taking, wew have sam that migh tbe good, and potentially a NFL quality coach coming on board next year.

Jets will probably get another high pick or two over the next two drafts for Darnold. There will be a market for him. They have one of the better salary cap positions in the league. Depending on the hit next year's cap takes, they could be in prime position to snap up players other teams can't afford to pay. Won't be many Mac guys on the roster next year. 

If there's gonna be a real turnaround, though, they're gonna need to get the head coach right. Hopefully all of their offseason assets attracts someone worthy.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Yeah amazing how he can win games after eliminated teams have given up

For a team this badly constructed, neglected for years before Adam Gase ever came to Florham Park, winning 6 of his last 10 November/December games is a very commendable accomplishment.

SAR I

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

To be a successful football franchise, you must have:

1- a good QB;

2- a good head coach;

3- a good owner.

So What I’m basically saying is, we’re doomed.

1- Lawrence, Trevor.

2- Gase, Adam.

3- Johnson, Christopher.

We are good.  I know nothing of college football but Trevor seems to be the best quarterback to come out in a decade.  Adam had success and playoff appearances with Denver and Miami.  Christopher is building us 'the right way' and hired a strong young GM to pair with our strong young head coach.

Have a little faith.

SAR I

18 minutes ago, SAR I said:

1- Lawrence, Trevor.

2- Gase, Adam.

3- Johnson, Christopher.

We are good.  I know nothing of college football but Trevor seems to be the best quarterback to come out in a decade.  Adam had success and playoff appearances with Denver and Miami.  Christopher is building us 'the right way' and hired a strong young GM to pair with our strong young head coach.

Have a little faith.

SAR I

I have lots of faith. I’m a long time suffering Jets fan after all.

But Gase has converted me into a doubting Thomas.

28 minutes ago, SAR I said:

For a team this badly constructed, neglected for years before Adam Gase ever came to Florham Park, winning 6 of his last 10 November/December games is a very commendable accomplishment.

SAR I

Well, he'll be 6 - 16 or 7 - 15 in NOV/DEC soon enough. Of course, that will only confirm your belief.

40 minutes ago, jgb said:

Well, he'll be 6 - 16 or 7 - 15 in NOV/DEC soon enough. Of course, that will only confirm your belief.

We are deliberately tanking.  Have been since September.  Judging Gase on this season has nothing to do with wins and losses; has everything to do with culture, demeanor, and effort.  The Jets are playing remarkably well and are acting remarkably professional for a team that has such a depleted roster.  That's a testament to Gase and his ability to keep the team focused and together.  Also means that with another season of losing ahead next year he's the right man to helm the rebuild.

SAR I

59 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I have lots of faith. I’m a long time suffering Jets fan after all.

But Gase has converted me into a doubting Thomas.

Why?

What has Gase done this year to lead you to believe he's not a good head coach?  A decade of bad drafts and two years of dreadful injuries are not his doing.  The guy is as big a victim in all of this as you and I are.  The media has stirred all this hatred up as a way to get clicks from the gullible.  Don't fall for it.

Judge Gase by how he has transformed the front office, got rid of malcontents, straightened out the culture, got Douglas to join, has new players like Becton and Mims playing at an encouraging level, and is keeping the team focused and playing very hard.  I've never seen an 0-9 team playing this hard.  They are 0-9 because of roster mismanagement, not coaching.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Why?

What has Gase done this year to lead you to believe he's not a good head coach?  A decade of bad drafts and two years of dreadful injuries are not his doing.  The guy is as big a victim in all of this as you and I are.  The media has stirred all this hatred up as a way to get clicks from the gullible.  Don't fall for it.

Judge Gase by how he has transformed the front office, got rid of malcontents, straightened out the culture, got Douglas to join, has new players like Becton and Mims playing at an encouraging level, and is keeping the team focused and playing very hard.  I've never seen an 0-9 team playing this hard.  They are 0-9 because of roster mismanagement, not coaching.

SAR I

Thanks Chris.

28 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We are deliberately tanking.  Have been since September.  Judging Gase on this season has nothing to do with wins and losses; has everything to do with culture, demeanor, and effort.  The Jets are playing remarkably well and are acting remarkably professional for a team that has such a depleted roster.  That's a testament to Gase and his ability to keep the team focused and together.  Also means that with another season of losing ahead next year he's the right man to helm the rebuild.

SAR I

Remind me what happened to the coaching staff when the Colts intentionally sucked for Luck.

57 minutes ago, jgb said:

Remind me what happened to the coaching staff when the Colts intentionally sucked for Luck.

We already fired Maccagnan and Bowles.  Douglas and Gase are the solution, not the problem.

And that's what wrong with the illogic on JN.  You think Douglas and Gase were brought here to win now.  LOL.

SAR I

43 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We already fired Maccagnan and Bowles.  Douglas and Gase are the solution, not the problem.

And that's what wrong with the illogic on JN.  You think Douglas and Gase were brought here to win now.  LOL.

SAR I

Slow down, professor. We'd have to start with not being a national embarrassment until we can talk about winning.