Players who you were wrong about heading into NFL drafts:

12 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

You know what's scary?

He's 6'4 and runs a 4.33 40. 

Denzel Mims is 6'3 and runs a 4.38 40. 

DK has Russell Wilson compared to Denzel who's had Flacco/Darnold. 

Give Denzel Mims a Trevor Lawrence and watch him develop into one of the most dominant outside receivers within Jets Franchise History; I'm already convinced he's a top 5 future NFL WR freak of nature; I couldn't imagine him with a strong armed Russel Wilson. 

Stephen Hill was 6' 4" 215 pound WR who ran 4.31. 

Some guys are big and fast and can play, some are just big an fast.  I do have a lot of hope for Mims, I think with a real offseason and 2 working hamstrings he could catch 70-80 passes next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Off the top of my head, 5 players I thought would easily pan out, but didn't:

1) Josh Rosen

2) Aaron Curry

3) Chance Warmack

4) Marcus Mariota

5) Calvin Pryor

You know what the first sigh and red flag about Calvin Pryor was? His nickname. 

He was a FOOTBALL PLAYER with a baseball nickname of "Louisville Slugger". 

We should've passed on him for that reason alone ??‍♂️?

That's like a baseball team drafting a CF with the nickname 'Wide Receiver'. 

"Hey, why do they call you Wide Receiver" and you play baseball?

"Well. It's because I can catch but I sure can't hit". 

lol please never draft a Football player with a baseball nickname ever again Jets, please don't do that anymore. 

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

but me and my older brother were so pumped up about watching us take out NE's starting QB while being replaced by a 6th round QB to the point of high fiving one another; and if you would've told us back then, that he'd go onto win 6 SBs while going down as the greatest QB to ever play the position?

I think we all shared that moment. A day that will live in infamy.

what have i done regret GIF

In 2020 I wanted Jerry Jeudy (WR, 37/587/2, on a pretty bad team with no QB's).

In 2019, I wanted T.J Hockinson (TE. 77/897/7 in two seasons).

In 2018, I wanted Baker Mayfield (QB, 9,660 PYards, 66TD/42INT, 20-20 Record in three seasons).

In 2017, I wanted Deshaun Watson (QB, 12,917 PYards, 95TD/34INT, 2/-20 Record in four seasons).

In 2016, I wanted Connor Cook (QB, Total Bust) in the 2nd (he went in the 4th).  Don't think I was overly into any first rounders that year honestly.

In 2015 and previous, I honestly don't have strong memories of who I wanted, if anyone.  Probably a generic "O-line", because I always want O-line in the draft and high, generally......

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

True, but Hill never got a PI call because he turned the CB into his bitch as he used him like a ladder to climb up for a pass. Mims has the aggressive "I'm gonna win because I'm better than you mentality". Hill always seemed passive.

For sure, Hill did not have "it".   I just meant size and speed are good to have, but they aren't the end all to be all.   I still don't get how DK did not dominate in college, but I wasn't his coach.

Steve Smith may have been the biggest bulldog I have ever seen at WR.   Foraa  guy who was 5'9", he was a total alpha on the field.  If Stephen HIll had half his heart, he would be catching 100 balls a year.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

In 2018, I wanted Baker Mayfield (QB, 9,660 PYards, 66TD/42INT, 20-20 Record in three seasons).

In 2017, I wanted Deshaun Watson (QB, 12,917 PYards, 95TD/34INT, 2/-20 Record in four seasons).

In 2016, I wanted Connor Cook (QB, Total Bust) in the 2nd (he went in the 4th).  Don't think I was overly into any first rounders that year honestly.

In 2015 and previous, I honestly don't have strong memories of who I wanted, if anyone.  Probably a generic "O-line", because I always want O-line in the draft and high, generally......

Weren't you also banging the table to sign Kirk Cousins? Thought that I recall that.

Hey, I try not to get in the prediction business too much here. My record would not be good.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

True, but Hill never got a PI call because he turned the CB into his bitch as he used him like a ladder to climb up for a pass. Mims has the aggressive "I'm gonna win because I'm better than you mentality". Hill always seemed passive. 

And another thing with Hill is that he played in a gimmick GT offense and barely put up NCAA numbers ala 49 receptions for 1,248 receiving yards and 9 TD receptions... Throughout a 3 year college career in comparison to Mims 186 receptions for 2,92 receiving yards and 28 TD receptions etc. 

I remember opening day of Hill's rookie year. 6 targets/5 receptions, 89 receiving yards and 2 TD's against Buffalo and our offense scored 48 points;

I thought we just drafted the next Randy Moss but unfortunately that was his first and only good NFL game before quickly flaming out. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Weren't you in love with Patrick Ramsey or am I thinking of someone else?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Weren't you also banging the table to sign Kirk Cousins? Thought that I recall that.

Yes, I was a very strong proponent for signing Kirk Cousins.  A view I stand by today, as it happens.

I feel our team would be materially better than we were the past three years with Kirk + 2018 #1 + 3x 2nd Round Picks than with Darnold and the $30 million/year in Cap we didn't really spend anyway.

We'll never know, to paraphrase Morpheus, what happened happened, and couldn't have happened any other way....  

Hey, I try not to get in the prediction business too much here. My record would not be good.

We all have busts.  I recall really liking Connor for example (a total bust), and of course my most infamous, Patrick Ramsey who at that time I truly believed was just in a bad spot in DC, and just needed a fair chance, with weapons, lol.  I will forever have his Jersey to remind me of my error!

But mostly I feel I get it generally right, mostly because I'm very conservative (more picks = better, resume > workout warrior, etc.) and like O-linemen alot.  Winning begins and ends in the trenches, after all.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

And another thing with Hill is that he played in a gimmick GT offense and barely put up NCAA numbers ala 49 receptions for 1,248 receiving yards and 9 TD receptions... Throughout a 3 year college career in comparison to Mims 186 receptions for 2,92 receiving yards and 28 TD receptions etc. 

I remember opening day of Hill's rookie year. 6 targets/5 receptions, 89 receiving yards and 2 TD's against Buffalo and our offense scored 48 points;

I thought we just drafted the next Randy Moss but unfortunately that was his first and only good NFL game before quickly flaming out. 

That's why I liked Jace Amaro, the guy had over 100 receptions his last season.  I don't care how gimmicky the offense, I figured if he caught 100 passes in 1 season he knew how to run a route or catch a ball.

Or, not.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, chirorob said:

That's why I liked Jace Amaro, the guy had over 100 receptions his last season.  I don't care how gimmicky the offense, I figured if he caught 100 passes in 1 season he knew how to run a route or catch a ball.

Or, not.

Something about Pat Freiermuth of Penn State reminds me too much of Amaro and even before his season ending undisclosed injury that'll require surgery I wanted nothing to do with him (reminds me of a stiff) and the gap between him and Pitts is eye opening imo. 

4 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

It's only natural for us to pound the table on the players who we were right about, but what are the draft prospects that we were all wrong about? I'm always interested in those types of stories (humbling). 

5 players who I thought would become great and ended up far from what I expected/imagined:

1.) Darren McFadden. I remember heading into the 2008 draft I was so excited to potentially land McFadden. I was already disappointed before our Vernon Gholston pick because Darren went two picks earlier and crushed my draft day spirits; I was convinced he was the next NFL superstar RB and I don't believe he ever made a single All Pro team let alone a Pro Bowl selection. Wasn't what I expected him to be as an NFL player. 

I literally came into existence to crap on McFadden as a prospect.

Someone I was completely off about? Herbert this year for sure. I thought he was going to suck as pro. At least if anyone played him early

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Josh Allen for sure. I still can’t believe he turned out to be good.

At the beginning of the NCAA season I thought Allen was going to be the next great one.  After watching him for 6 games I lost faith in him.  I was really torn who I wanted when the Jets were on the board.  Was never in the "Suck for Sam" group

Getting to the original question, Polite.  Really thought he was going to be a great passs rusher.  Thought he was the steal of the draft.  LOL

It's only natural for us to pound the table on the players who we were right about, but what are the draft prospects that we were all wrong about? I'm always interested in those types of stories (humbling). 

5 players who I thought would become great and ended up far from what I expected/imagined:

1.) Darren McFadden. I remember heading into the 2008 draft I was so excited to potentially land McFadden. I was already disappointed before our Vernon Gholston pick because Darren went two picks earlier and crushed my draft day spirits; I was convinced he was the next NFL superstar RB and I don't believe he ever made a single All Pro team let alone a Pro Bowl selection. Wasn't what I expected him to be as an NFL player. 

2.) Reggie Bush. I know we ended up landing D'Brickishaw Ferguson (2006) 4th overall but heading into the draft I was in my younger 20's (21) and would dream of Reggie Bush running in Green and White and was absolutely convinced he'd become my generations next Gayle Sayers. I fell for the ESPN hype. I was wrong. He was an amazing talent, wasn't a bust; but failed to meet expectations set by media hype and I'm now glad he went #2 overall allowing us to select Ferguson 4th (at the time I was disappointed). 

3.) Percy Harvin. The year we selected Sanchez we were originally slotted to pick 17th overall and I had my mind and heart made up on Percy. As an FSU fan I couldn't believe how much I was gushing over a Florida Gator to become a Jet. I ignored all the migraine headache concerns and was 100% was convinced he'd become the most electric and most exciting offensive weapon of 2009's draft class. He had a nice 3-4 year run early on but afterwards completely fell off an NFL map. 

4.). LaVar Arrington. I knew we had zero chance of drafting him as a Jet, went #2 overall but I remember being 15-16 and both my older brother and uncle (Penn State alumni) had me convinced I was watching the next version of Lawrence Taylor 2.0 on steroids coming out. We were all wrong he had like one or two good seasons but he was moreso Jordan Jenkins than L.T.  

5.) Peter Warrick. Top 5 pick. I was new to Florida as a kid from Queens and a Freshman down here in HS 1999 I met a childhood friend who's parents would take us to every FSU game from St. Petersburg to Tallahassee and I instantly fell in love with FSU's atmosphere and have loved them ever since and Peter Warrick was electric and the talk of the town and I still to this day can't believe we never recorded a 1,000 yard receiving season I would've told you that you were nuts if you told me Coles would've became the much better NFL FSU WR because I rarely even remember his name being announced during those FSU games back then. Man was I wrong. 

5 players who I thought would become busts but ended up becoming really good to great:

1.) Khalil Mack. I used the whole small school no player ever becomes great from Buffalo etc and he's made me look stupid from day one. 

2.) Josh Allen. Once again. Not only did I use the whole small college program against him (Wyoming) but I harped all over his accuracy due to completion percentage and now look, 3rd year with a career completion percentage of 60.2% and here in 2020 damn near 70% @ 68.4 and his accuracy even on the run looks A+ to me; Buffalo got lucky here. 

3.) Aaron Rodgers. I still to this day remember him dropping all the way into the bottom of the 1st round with cameras on him every time another team passed him. And then after 3 years of riding the bench I laughed @ the idea of him being able to replace Brett Favre heading into his 4th NFL season; and now 15 years later he's a 2x League MVP, SB winning MVP and owns the 2nd highest QB Rating of All-Time and future first ballot HOF QB; I was wrong as wrong could be. 

4.) James Farrior. I never liked the Farrior pick. I was automatically disgusted when we traded out of the #1 pick and passed on Orlando Pace a player my older brother promised me would become a great Franchise LT so I hated the Farrior pick from day one. I believed his one good year with us was a fluke and would've never believed that he'd end up having the type of career he had in Pittsburgh with multiple pro bowls, multiple all pros, multiple SBs and almost 1,500 career tackles; never could've imagined it. 

5.) Tom Brady. I didn't know too much about Tom Brady heading into the draft back then but still to this day I've never forgotten his first game. Me and my older brother were @ the Wing House watching the game (a couple years before we ordered Direct TV's NFL Sunday Ticket down here in Florida to watch all our Jet games) and after Drew Bledsoe got injured (I'll never root for a player injury) but me and my older brother were so pumped up about watching us take out NE's starting QB while being replaced by a 6th round QB to the point of high fiving one another; and if you would've told us back then, that he'd go onto win 6 SBs while going down as the greatest QB to ever play the position? We both probably would've laughed @ you back on 9-23-2001; man oh man were we wrong about the 6th rounder. 

Just wanted to discuss something different other than Gase, Sam and how bad our 2020 Jets have been etc; anxious to see other JN Draft Guro's hot takes on players heading into previous drafts. 

Major credit to you for a well thought out and honest appraisal of how you were wrong about something..such a rarity and very refreshing. I hope it catches on around here but somehow I doubt it!!

good post too, agreed on McFadden, I wanted him badly although always thought Bush was a bit overhyped....I really wanted Mario Williams that year, was intrigued by Cutler but also loved Brick and was delighted we took him when Williams was already gone..

I thought Mack would be legit and really hoped Allen would be good because the blind negativity around him was over the top and rooted in illogicality, it’s great that someone comes along and totally debunks an argument.

The Farrior pick is still too painful! ....and I had no clue about Brady.

I did think Josh Rosen would be good and Mayfield too but I really didn’t like what I saw from Darnold. Not surprised that he’s breaking down totally because mechanically and footwork wise it was plain to see from college.

i was convinced Trent Richardson would be a generational talent but got that totally wrong and I also wanted no part of DK Metcalf, I just didn’t see the production to match the incredible athleticism 

• Post of the Week 1

30 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I literally came into existence to crap on McFadden as a prospect.

Someone I was completely off about? Herbert this year for sure. I thought he was going to suck as pro. At least if anyone played him early

Omg I just looked @ your username and laughed I bet I was online fighting you back then heading into the draft ?

And yes Herbert is a killer with or without Burrow's injury, Herbert is putting up the greatest rookie QB season of All-Time and I don't follow too much west coast football so I was clueless about him coming into the draft. 

• Post of the Week 1

2.) Reggie Bush. I know we ended up landing D'Brickishaw Ferguson (2006) 4th overall but heading into the draft I was in my younger 20's (21) and would dream of Reggie Bush running in Green and White and was absolutely convinced he'd become my generations next Gayle Sayers. I fell for the ESPN hype. I was wrong. He was an amazing talent, wasn't a bust; but failed to meet expectations set by media hype and I'm now glad he went #2 overall allowing us to select Ferguson 4th (at the time I was disappointed). 

3.) Percy Harvin. The year we selected Sanchez we were originally slotted to pick 17th overall and I had my mind and heart made up on Percy. As an FSU fan I couldn't believe how much I was gushing over a Florida Gator to become a Jet. I ignored all the migraine headache concerns and was 100% was convinced he'd become the most electric and most exciting offensive weapon of 2009's draft class. He had a nice 3-4 year run early on but afterwards completely fell off an NFL map. 

4.). LaVar Arrington. I knew we had zero chance of drafting him as a Jet, went #2 overall but I remember being 15-16 and both my older brother and uncle (Penn State alumni) had me convinced I was watching the next version of Lawrence Taylor 2.0 on steroids coming out. We were all wrong he had like one or two good seasons but he was moreso Jordan Jenkins than L.T.  

5.) Peter Warrick. Top 5 pick. I was new to Florida as a kid from Queens and a Freshman down here in HS 1999 I met a childhood friend who's parents would take us to every FSU game from St. Petersburg to Tallahassee and I instantly fell in love with FSU's atmosphere and have loved them ever since and Peter Warrick was electric and the talk of the town and I still to this day can't believe we never recorded a 1,000 yard receiving season I would've told you that you were nuts if you told me Coles would've became the much better NFL FSU WR because I rarely even remember his name being announced during those FSU games back then. Man was I wrong. 

5 players who I thought would become busts but ended up becoming really good to great:

1.) Khalil Mack. I used the whole small school no player ever becomes great from Buffalo etc and he's made me look stupid from day one. 

2.) Josh Allen. Once again. Not only did I use the whole small college program against him (Wyoming) but I harped all over his accuracy due to completion percentage and now look, 3rd year with a career completion percentage of 60.2% and here in 2020 damn near 70% @ 68.4 and his accuracy even on the run looks A+ to me; Buffalo got lucky here. 

3.) Aaron Rodgers. I still to this day remember him dropping all the way into the bottom of the 1st round with cameras on him every time another team passed him. And then after 3 years of riding the bench I laughed @ the idea of him being able to replace Brett Favre heading into his 4th NFL season; and now 15 years later he's a 2x League MVP, SB winning MVP and owns the 2nd highest QB Rating of All-Time and future first ballot HOF QB; I was wrong as wrong could be. 

4.) James Farrior. I never liked the Farrior pick. I was automatically disgusted when we traded out of the #1 pick and passed on Orlando Pace a player my older brother promised me would become a great Franchise LT so I hated the Farrior pick from day one. I believed his one good year with us was a fluke and would've never believed that he'd end up having the type of career he had in Pittsburgh with multiple pro bowls, multiple all pros, multiple SBs and almost 1,500 career tackles; never could've imagined it. 

5.) Tom Brady. I didn't know too much about Tom Brady heading into the draft back then but still to this day I've never forgotten his first game. Me and my older brother were @ the Wing House watching the game (a couple years before we ordered Direct TV's NFL Sunday Ticket down here in Florida to watch all our Jet games) and after Drew Bledsoe got injured (I'll never root for a player injury) but me and my older brother were so pumped up about watching us take out NE's starting QB while being replaced by a 6th round QB to the point of high fiving one another; and if you would've told us back then, that he'd go onto win 6 SBs while going down as the greatest QB to ever play the position? We both probably would've laughed @ you back on 9-23-2001; man oh man were we wrong about the 6th rounder. 

Just wanted to discuss something different other than Gase, Sam and how bad our 2020 Jets have been etc; anxious to see other JN Draft Guro's hot takes on players heading into previous drafts. 

Sam Darnold, just kill my fat ass now. 

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, section314 said:

Here's a name from the Jets past that many will recognize.....Victor Hobson. Was a 2nd rd pick out of Michigan. Was a tackling machine in college, and thought he was going to be great. Not so much.?

I thought he'd be good as well, he just wasn't fast enough for the NFL game.   Again, not a bust, he played 6ish seasons, but not a memorable player in the NFL.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Josh Allen for sure. I still can’t believe he turned out to be good.

Absolutely.

I had Josh Rosen well ahead of Josh Allen.  Saw Allen as a guy who would run thru some guys like Tebow did but who had Hackenberg/Tebow-like accuracy and QB skills.  Thought Rosen had the highest floor among QBs in that Draft.....polished, accurate, a Chad Pennington type who wouldn't blow you away with his athleticism or arm strength but would find success quickly.  Boy was I wrong!

• Upvote 1

Peter Warrick was my original draft crush, that guy was just electric in college.  I was just a kid back then, but I remember being excited to just see FSU games back then because of him.  

I'll go with the years I followed the pre-draft process

Guys I missed:

RGIII:  While I liked Luck, I thought RGIII would absolutely flourish in the new NFL.  I thought he'd have the career that Mahomes is having, mobile with a great arm.  I'm still not sure what went wrong after the injury, because he looked so good early on.  I know defenses adjusted to his running ability, but he had a very good arm in college.   

Justin Hunter:  I thought he'd be a star, he made things look so effortless in college.  Patterson received more hype in TN but I thought Hunter was going to be a No. 1 type guy, with his height/speed combination.  

Mariota:  Fell into the same trap with RGIII, I loved his athletic ability combined with his accuracy in college.  I thought he'd have the career of Lamar Jackson but it never panned out.  

Leonard Williams:  I was so happy when he fell, thought we got a legit Suh like player that could dominate with that line, which seemed destined to be elite.  Wilkerson/Sheldon with Williams seemed like a monster line, but never panned out.  

Josh Doctson:  I have no idea how this guy failed.  If you read about reception perception back in the day, he was easily the No. 1 guy coming out.  I thought for sure he'd be a great one.  Speed, high points, tracks the ball well, and just completely underwhelming in the NFL.  

Fournette:  I thought he'd be what Derrick Henry is these days, the size/speed beast that was a match up nightmare.  

Malik Hooker:  I wanted him over Adams, he was flat out amazing as the single high safety as OSU and I thought he'd be perfect for our defense if we played more bump man coverage.  

Darnold:  Sadly

Arcega-Whiteside:  I thought he'd be like Claypool this year, just a TD monster but he sucks.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

You know what's scary?

He's 6'4 and runs a 4.33 40. 

Denzel Mims is 6'3 and runs a 4.38 40. 

DK has Russell Wilson compared to Denzel who's had Flacco/Darnold. 

Give Denzel Mims a Trevor Lawrence and watch him develop into one of the most dominant outside receivers within Jets Franchise History; I'm already convinced he's a top 5 future NFL WR freak of nature; I couldn't imagine him with a strong armed Russel Wilson. 

Metcalf looks significantly faster than Mims in pads.

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Me neither. From an unheard of Wyoming program with a career NCAA completion percentage of 56.2% which had me seriously doubting his accuracy to now an NFL career completion percentage of 60.5 and during his 3rd season an eye opening and mind boggling completion percentage of 68.8%?!?!?

And I couldn't care less about Buffalo giving him weapons to become successful with in Diggs etc because coming out of Wyoming you could've given him Randy Moss, Terrell Owens and Marvin Harrison as a trio of WR's and I still would've thought his accuracy wouldn't have been good enough to even get the the football within a proximity to make catches. 

Josh Allen I was 100% and completely wrong about in regards to his accuracy.

Both Trey Lance (N. Dakota State) and Zach Wilson (BYU) are two QBs I don't believe in because of the lack of strength of scheduling and opponent's they've played against on an NCAA level however Josh Allen is a prime example on why I won't discredit Jet fans who are absolutely in love with these kid QBs as prospects. I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole but that doesn't mean I'll be right (in the long run). 

Switch teams and I think Sam looks like a FQB now and Allen a bust. It's all about coaching, environment, and the players around a QB especially in their first years. Sam did not fail. The Jets failed Sam. Josh Allen thrived because he was given an environment to thrive in. EVERYTHING needs to change on this team or we will turn Lawrence or Fields into the next mega bust.

To the OP I really did not want Becton. I was WAY wrong.

I have not been good at QBs overall i will admit, had some battles with a few people on the draft form over mahommes who they loved and I thought was 'not going to get away with the stuff he does in college in the pros.'  ?

One position I do seem to do well with is secondary players.  Two guys I loved were Gilmour and Tredavious white.

I couldn't have been any more wrong about Deshaun Watson.  I read he had a weak arm and wanted no part of him due to my Chadwick Pennington PTSD.  That plus I read that no QB who has thrown less than 55 MPH has had success in the NFL.  Though I have no idea how Pennington threw >= 55 MPH.

https://www.chicitysports.com/forum/threads/arm-strength-deshaun-watson-is-woefully-bad.60563/

image.png.e6d29a2f9cfbbdea27666ee47e03c86d.png