My 5 Takeaways From Jets vs Seahawks

bla bla bla

20 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

For those who don't want to watch:

5) Jamal Adams - First pass of game was in front of Jamal(niiiice), drops INT, beats chest about causing a fumble he didn't actually cause, gets record setting "sack" on Sam by Sam running out of bounds

4) Marcus Maye - Wild INT, hope we can retain him

3) Scored on opening drive 7 straight games, it's the other drives that are giving us problems

2) Sergio Castillo - 3 missed field goals, you are filling Gregg Williams role perfectly, but please don't come back next year.

1) Sam Darnold - 14/26 132 yards 0 TD 0 INTs. Very deceptive stat, Sam should have had 3 INTs all dropped by Seattle.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

3) Scored on opening drive 7 straight games, it's the other drives that are giving us problems

This is a pattern that goes back through last season. It’s almost inexplicable for a team that is so horrendous on offense. I haven’t looked this up but it would not surprise me if the Jets were one of the top 5 teams over the past two years in scoring on their first drive of games. I have a vague recollection that they went something like 7 or 8 games in a row last year doing this as well.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Why?

Too many plays to be able to work on/memorize in a given practice week.  Teams tend to script about the first 7-10 plays.  The Jets ran something like 50 total offensive plays today.  Some weeks that number is more like 60 or more.

And game flow dictates that you're going to end up having to change up what you're doing, to where the scripted plays will likely no longer make sense.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

5) Jamal Adams - First pass of game was in front of Jamal(niiiice), drops INT, beats chest about causing a fumble he didn't actually cause, gets record setting "sack" on Sam by Sam running out of bounds

2) Sergio Castillo - 3 missed field goals, you are filling Gregg Williams role perfectly, but please don't come back next year.

1) Sam Darnold - 14/26 132 yards 0 TD 0 INTs. Very deceptive stat, Sam should have had 3 INTs all dropped by Seattle.

Thanks for the breakdown. I decided to install base cabinets in my man cave in lieu of this game. It appears I chose well. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Gase is clearly pretty good at scripting the first several plays of the game.  It's when he has to adjust to gameflow, get innovative, or demonstrate one iota of flexibility that he fails miserably.

Defenses may not 'script' their play calls, but they also have a 'prepared' list of stunts, blitzes, coverages, etc that they call on the 1st drive to feel out on offense as well. Then as soon as they realize that:

Yes, once again Gase is going to feed the ball to Gore on 1st/2nd and long they get out the margarita machine and bring guys up close to the line. 

It's only the perpetual disbelief and debilitating laughter by opposing defenses at the start of games that he's really going to do it again that allows for the Jets success on the opening drive. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, the Claw said:

Circumstances change over the course of a game. You can’t script for everything. Scripting an entire game is a pretty foolhardy practice... although it could explain Gase’s game-plans sometimes.

How so? What is the difference between the opening kick off and the kick off after your opponent scores? 

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Longest active streak in the NFL, amazingly.  

Gase is clearly pretty good at scripting the first several plays of the game.  It's when he has to adjust to gameflow, get innovative, or demonstrate one iota of flexibility that he fails miserably.

Pretty good play designer.  Horrible playcaller and coach.  That's Adam Gase for you.

Doesn't seem very good at playing designer at all. None of those drives showing any great design imo

The scripting thing makes no sense to me. If you can script one drive you can script any of them. I credit dumb luck for the jets “success” in opening drives
Why even give that conspiracy theory a second thought? If the guy could write up a drive that works with darnold and score everytime they start a game why would he self sabotage himself and insure he never gets another coaching job in the nfl. People come up with the craziest stupidest theories.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Pretty good play designer.  Horrible playcaller and coach.  That's Adam Gase for you.

Don't kid yourself. Loggains probably scripts the first series. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

there aren't any things to take away.  they got beat even when they were up 3-0.  had they scored a td on their opening drive i might feel differently.

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This is a pattern that goes back through last season. It’s almost inexplicable for a team that is so horrendous on offense. I haven’t looked this up but it would not surprise me if the Jets were one of the top 5 teams over the past two years in scoring on their first drive of games. I have a vague recollection that they went something like 7 or 8 games in a row last year doing this as well.

maybe but there was also a time, i think during the rex era where they could find the end zone in the first quarter or even kick an fg.  this went on for quite a few games too.

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Did you notice that they opened up with two or three successful runs and then promptly went empty backfield?  I assume that is the best way to take advantage of teams worrying about the run?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Jet fans need to stop acting like Adams is a 'bad' player. He's a very good safety, one of the best box safeties in the NFL. Is he a nutcase? Maybe. Is he worth the money he's demanding? Probably not. Did it make sense for the Jets to trade him for draft capital? Yes. 

He actually had a pretty good game last night. Sure he dropped an INT but like you said, two other INTs were dropped. Yes, his sack was recorded by Sam running out of bounds, its still a sack. It was still HIM who forced Sam to run out behind the line of scrimmage. What do you mean he didn't cause the fumble? He caused it just as much as the other guy. Gore was hit by Jamal on one side and another guy on the other side, both went for the strip- both should get credit for it. 

It's absurd the kind of bias Jamal gets. He's set the record for sacks as a DB and all Jet fans can talk about is that he 'can't cover'. Well, he seemed to cover well enough last night- the Jets weren't exactly attacking him in the pass game. 

Just get over it. Jets drafted a good player but circumstances led to them trading him- just be happy they got a haul. Hopefully they can draft the right players with those picks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

Jet fans need to stop acting like Adams is a 'bad' player. He's a very good safety, one of the best box safeties in the NFL. Is he a nutcase? Maybe. Is he worth the money he's demanding? Probably not. Did it make sense for the Jets to trade him for draft capital? Yes. 

He actually had a pretty good game last night. Sure he dropped an INT but like you said, two other INTs were dropped. Yes, his sack was recorded by Sam running out of bounds, its still a sack. It was still HIM who forced Sam to run out behind the line of scrimmage. What do you mean he didn't cause the fumble? He caused it just as much as the other guy. Gore was hit by Jamal on one side and another guy on the other side, both went for the strip- both should get credit for it. 

It's absurd the kind of bias Jamal gets. He's set the record for sacks as a DB and all Jet fans can talk about is that he 'can't cover'. Well, he seemed to cover well enough last night- the Jets weren't exactly attacking him in the pass game. 

Just get over it. Jets drafted a good player but circumstances led to them trading him- just be happy they got a haul. Hopefully they can draft the right players with those picks. 

Good post. I don't see the emotional need for Adams to flop. Even if he succeeds/gets better it was still the right move to trade him at the crazy price we received for him.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, QB1 said:

How so? What is the difference between the opening kick off and the kick off after your opponent scores? 

Any number of things can change, man, c’mon. For one, you may have game planned for a TD and only scored a field goal while your opponent scored a TD. Maybe your 37 year old rb gets concussed, maybe you miss the next three consecutive field goal attempts, maybe your LT needs to leave the field because he’s 360 lbs and is winded and his replacement is far from dominant, maybe you fumble the ball away, maybe you take a sack on second down bringing up third and long but you planned on it being third and short so you’ve got a dive through the A gap scheduled, maybe your CB gets a pick at your 25 yard line and now you have an extra drive on your hands that you didn’t have before. 

the game requires flexibility just as much as it requires preparedness. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

The ball didn't start moving until Snacks punches it out. My dislike of Jamal stems from the hate I got at last year's trade deadline when I said Jamal was going to force his way out haha. Jamal is allowing a 82.4% completion percentage on the year, we were 2/2 when targeting him. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, the Claw said:

Any number of things can change, man, c’mon. For one, you may have game planned for a TD and only scored a field goal while your opponent scored a TD. Maybe your 37 year old rb gets concussed, maybe you miss the next three consecutive field goal attempts, maybe your LT needs to leave the field because he’s 360 lbs and is winded and his replacement is far from dominant, maybe you fumble the ball away, maybe you take a sack on second down bringing up third and long but you planned on it being third and short so you’ve got a dive through the A gap scheduled, maybe your CB gets a pick at your 25 yard line and now you have an extra drive on your hands that you didn’t have before. 

the game requires flexibility just as much as it requires preparedness. 

you may as well exlpain football to a xmas cookie, it wont understand in the very same way

• Haha 1

I dislike the way JD set the standard that any good player can tweet his way out of town . 33 does it and bell follows the same blueprint

Side note if Jamal Adams could catch he'd play offense

The ball didn't start moving until Snacks punches it out. My dislike of Jamal stems from the hate I got at last year's trade deadline when I said Jamal was going to force his way out haha. Jamal is allowing a 82.4% completion percentage on the year, we were 2/3 when targeting him. 

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Did you notice that they opened up with two or three successful runs and then promptly went empty backfield?  I assume that is the best way to take advantage of teams worrying about the run?

I noticed that as well. Made no sense.

Did you also notice that the kept running right instead of behind Becton? My only explanation is that Gase thinks he is fooling the defense (he wasn't).  

Yes, Jamal the player is excellent. It’s the personal part that is a problem. We got a great haul and should be thankful. Hawks got a good player and they’re happy. Hawks have a good culture that can hem in Jamal’s excesses. Seems to be working out for both sides. 

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

The ball didn't start moving until Snacks punches it out. My dislike of Jamal stems from the hate I got at last year's trade deadline when I said Jamal was going to force his way out haha. Jamal is allowing a 82.4% completion percentage on the year, we were 2/2 when targeting him. 

I actually 100% agree with @PepPep on Adams, except for the bit about the fumble.  They both went for the strip so they should both get credit? I did not know we gave out statistics for trying.  I prefer to credit the guy who actually knocked the ball loose.  OTOH, Adams was around the action all day and made plenty of plays. Not sure why everybody around here wants to act like he sucks.  We got enough for him and it was unlikely he'd have stuck around past next year.  

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

I dislike the way JD set the standard that any good player can tweet his way out of town . 33 does it and bell follows the same blueprint

Side note if Jamal Adams could catch he'd play offense

If any of our other players can tweet their way out of town for two firsts and a third I would encourage it.

Side note.  If Jamal Adams could catch and play offense he'd be worth a hell of a lot more money.

• Upvote 1