Todd McShay: Wilson is a lock to go 2nd overall

GreekJet

1 hour ago, Marshmello said:

Dane Brugler's mock picks for us. 

https://theathletic.com/2378777/2021/02/11/nfl-mock-draft-zach-wilson-justin-fields-trey-lance/

2. New York Jets — Zach Wilson, QB, BYU

This is where the draft starts and there will be plenty of speculation on a possible trade at No. 2 if the Jets decide to stick with Sam Darnold. However, there is a greater chance New York sees an opportunity to reset the franchise with a new quarterback, but which one? If Wilson does well during the interview process, many around the league expect him to be the favorite here.

12. ***TRADE***

New York Jets receive:
2021 first-round pick (No. 12 overall)
2022 second-round pick

San Francisco 49ers receive:
2021 first-round pick (No. 23 overall)
QB Sam Darnold

New York Jets (via SF) — Rashawn Slater, OT/G, Northwestern

This is a fun trade. Even with a new quarterback with the No. 2 pick, the Jets don’t have to trade Darnold. But they can maximize his value if the right deal presents itself, like this proposed trade from the 49ers. With their pick from the Jamal Adams’ trade, the Jets are able to jump up 11 spots in the first round and land Slater, who has Pro Bowl potential as a plug-and-play guard who can also kick out to right tackle if needed. For San Francisco, this deal is the equivalent of two second-round picks for a talented 23-year old quarterback with untapped skills.

Would love this for the Jets. I wouldn't want to trade Sam +23 (or 34) to move up and not get any additional picks b/c I think the team has too many holes to fill, however adding a 2nd rounder next year would be a coup IMO. I love Slater in general, and think he would fit the Jets timeline perfectly. Can start at RG next year and then have the option of moving him to RT the following year and cutting Fant (could also do that now and save money, or in 2023). 

In general if we were to get say a early 2nd round (or equivalent) value for Sam I'd rather have the extra pick, but if we could package Sam to move up to get Slater, Chase, Pitts, or D Smith I am doing it. Guys I may also think about are Farley, Surtain, and potentially one of the edge guys - but I think with edge you'd be able to get comparable value at 23 to what you would get at 12.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Any idea when that photo was taken? I'm hoping like 3 years ago! My 18 year old looks older than him.

Per a reverse image search, this came from a July 2019 article:

https://kslsports.com/412853/zach-wilson-works-out-with-new-orleans-saints-qb-drew-brees/?

Zach Wilson Works Out With New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees

BY TREVOR ALLEN, KSL SPORTS
JULY 7, 2019 AT 4:14 PM

PROVO, Utah – BYU quarterback Zach Wilson posted an Instagram photo with New Orleans Saints All-Pro after working out together.

Wilson is capitalizing on a great opportunity to learn from one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL.

• Sympathy 1

Very reminiscent of your rant that Robby Anderson would never survive playing NFL football.  How the NFL isnt Temple, that hes now getting hit by bigger, faster athletes, blah, blah, blah.
He had a labrum tweaked, so do lots of QBs.  Its not a big deal or an indicator that he'll be injured 3 years running.  

Tweaked!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Per a reverse image search, this came from a July 2019 article:

https://kslsports.com/412853/zach-wilson-works-out-with-new-orleans-saints-qb-drew-brees/?

Zach Wilson Works Out With New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees

BY TREVOR ALLEN, KSL SPORTS
JULY 7, 2019 AT 4:14 PM

PROVO, Utah – BYU quarterback Zach Wilson posted an Instagram photo with New Orleans Saints All-Pro after working out together.

Wilson is capitalizing on a great opportunity to learn from one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL.

I feel better that it was almost 2 years ago. I hope he's been hitting the weight room and the protein shakes and trying to get taller!!

inversion therapy hanging upside down GIF by ePainAssist

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

This is where it shows me you haven't actually watched Wilson play.  

His skills are off the charts.  The ball explodes out of his hands, his release is lighting fast...If you have to look at straight tangibles you want from a QB (thing that can't be taught) those are the two that matter the most - and he's as good as anyone in the NFL in both of those.

Honestly, go watch tape on him and then lets' discuss.  

All that bus stuff is 100% horsesh*t.

i've seen him play

i've not seen him play against anyone good and neither has anyone else

you can call the bus horse-crap but this is 2 over all the most premium pick this team has had for 30 years

its not a place to reach 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

The "monsters" in this draft that we could take at 2 are Sewell and Jamarr Chase.  I prefer either of those options to drafting a QB at 2 at this point, with a lean towards Sewell because of the FA wide receivers that will be available.

That said, trading #2 (plus other picks) for Deshaun Watson is a slam dunk.  Trading down for a huge package of picks would also be preferable.

i like all those outcomes more than picking Wilson or Fields at 2 

Just now, bitonti said:

i've seen him play

you can call the bus horse-crap but this is 2 over all the most premium pick this team has had for 30 years

its not a place to reach 

Height isn't the issue. The fact he played inferior competition, has had shoulder surgery, size, those are major red flags. Rothlisberger played in the MAC and Flacco is an even lesser conference, butboth are 6'5"-6'6". 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Height isn't the issue. The fact he played inferior competition, has had shoulder surgery, size, those are major red flags. Rothlisberger played in the MAC and Flacco is an even lesser conference, butboth are 6'5"-6'6". 

height is simplifying it 

it's really height/weight ratio aka thickness 

Kyler Murray and Baker are short but durable. Wilson is 6'1" (maybe) and skinny. it doesn't appear as if he spends time in the weight room etc

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Marshmello said:

Dane Brugler's mock picks for us. 

https://theathletic.com/2378777/2021/02/11/nfl-mock-draft-zach-wilson-justin-fields-trey-lance/

2. New York Jets — Zach Wilson, QB, BYU

This is where the draft starts and there will be plenty of speculation on a possible trade at No. 2 if the Jets decide to stick with Sam Darnold. However, there is a greater chance New York sees an opportunity to reset the franchise with a new quarterback, but which one? If Wilson does well during the interview process, many around the league expect him to be the favorite here.

12. ***TRADE***

New York Jets receive:
2021 first-round pick (No. 12 overall)
2022 second-round pick

San Francisco 49ers receive:
2021 first-round pick (No. 23 overall)
QB Sam Darnold

New York Jets (via SF) — Rashawn Slater, OT/G, Northwestern

This is a fun trade. Even with a new quarterback with the No. 2 pick, the Jets don’t have to trade Darnold. But they can maximize his value if the right deal presents itself, like this proposed trade from the 49ers. With their pick from the Jamal Adams’ trade, the Jets are able to jump up 11 spots in the first round and land Slater, who has Pro Bowl potential as a plug-and-play guard who can also kick out to right tackle if needed. For San Francisco, this deal is the equivalent of two second-round picks for a talented 23-year old quarterback with untapped skills.

I'm ok with the trade if they are targeting Pitts, one of the CBs or Waddle, but for Slater? No thanks. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

i've seen him play

its not a place to reach 

Josh Allen played for Wyoming and almost won the MVP this year. Who cares what school Wilson played for, he looks like the real deal

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

44 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Josh Allen played for Wyoming and almost won the MVP this year. Who cares what school Wilson played for, he looks like the real deal

Allen proved it at mobile and by breaking the radar gun at indy 

Wilson needed a senior bowl to prove 2 overall value 

He's not going to be able to market/pr his way up the board. The world is predicting a reach by JD at 2, I don't buy it 

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I tried to make it clear but somehow you completely misunderstood what I was saying...I guess that's my fault.

Let me reiterate.  I DON'T care about what he did in the past....the only thing we should care about is his Skill-set.  The tools he posses align almost ideally with the way the game is being played today.

Unless, of course, you think

He's going to lose arm-strength when drafted? His quick release will somehow slow down mid-season? etc....

So that would be a "no". Edit: meaning you have no posts that you made a year ago espousing this remarkable skillset.

Like said, one year wonder. 

5 minutes ago, freestater said:

So that would be a "no". Edit: meaning you have no posts that you made a year ago espousing this remarkable skillset.

Like said, one year wonder. 

First of all, why would there be? We weren’t in the market for a QB.

Second, and this is the part you don’t seem to want to understand - who gives a sh*t?

It’s his skill-set now that matters.  

This isn’t brain surgery.  You watch the skills he has - huge arm, lighting quick release, super accurate, isn’t staring down receivers and makes smart choices.  

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Allen proved it at mobile and by breaking the radar gun at indy 

Wilson needed a senior bowl to prove 2 overall value 

He's not going to be able to market/pr his way up the board. The world is predicting a reach by JD at 2, I don't buy it 

Wilson is not a reach. At all. Whatever go back to your trolling.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Brees is probably 5-11.

But in any case height arguments are pretty silly at this point when it comes to evaluating college QB's.

I know Brees measure 6' at the combine but I am not sure how. He is not that tall, unless he crouches continuously since the combine.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

I'd like to see this quote where I said that about robby. 

It's possible you're thinking about a different blow hard Jets fan. There are a few of us 

Listen, I'm not making a big deal out of this so you shouldn't.  You were very much convinced that RA would never last given his frame and build.  

As a blow hard Jets fan, I keep inventory of all the other blow hard Jets fans on this board.

Well played?

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

I don't know is an honest answer. 

"Zach wilson is our savior" is the same wishful thinking that brought us Sam Darnold and got everyone fired 

The draft is about upside and making value decisions not reaching for need out of desperation 

Wilson is just not that elite. I wish there were 2 Trevor's in the draft. There's not 

So what’s your plan for the position (assuming Watson is not on the table)?

Are you giving Darnold another chance? 

Are you saying the Jets should only draft a prospect as good as Trevor Lawrence? When will that guy be available for the Jets? 

Wait until next year when you will likely have a lower pick and less options to choose from?

The fact that you don’t want to consider a QB 2nd overall is senseless. 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:
As @McShay13 noted on @GetUpESPN, BYU QB Zach Wilson was not a team captain. Players voted for eight captains for the 2020 season — four offense, four defense. Wilson was part of the “leadership council,” but not a captain. Red flag? #Jets

Well, considering that 4 of the picks last year were team captains, this may mean something. Plus, highly unusual for a QB to not be a captain unless he's a freshman.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, section314 said:

Well, considering that 4 of the picks last year were team captains, this may mean something. Plus, highly unusual for a QB to not be a captain unless he's a freshman.

All physical shortcomings aside there's also the rumor that wilson is kind of a dick 

His internet supporters "brees" passed it like how many ignored how Rosen was a tool 

27 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:
As @McShay13 noted on @GetUpESPN, BYU QB Zach Wilson was not a team captain. Players voted for eight captains for the 2020 season — four offense, four defense. Wilson was part of the “leadership council,” but not a captain. Red flag? #Jets

Did his teammates go to his birthday party?

Just now, bitonti said:

All physical shortcomings aside there's also the rumor that wilson is kind of a dick 

From your years of working at the Senior Bowl, I bet you've gotten to know Charlie Campbell from Walter Football. He wrote that in one of his first mocks, when he projected him to the Jets. Described him as an "entitled" brat, and said his parents are trouble.

16 minutes ago, section314 said:

From your years of working at the Senior Bowl, I bet you've gotten to know Charlie Campbell from Walter Football. He wrote that in one of his first mocks, when he projected him to the Jets. Described him as an "entitled" brat, and said his parents are trouble.

As a general rule scouts do not like players who have other options. If Wilson does not like coach Saleh for example he can just leave. It's not like he needs the money. He can live a life of luxury and peace anytime he wants. That's not the profile of most nfl players. A guy like Sewell has like a town full of people who look at him for support and when it comes time to take a needle or play through his next injury, a guy like wilson could just say no. The NFL demands a lot of sacrifice. 

In fairness there was one really wealthy qb: Carson Palmers family owned the Beverly hills back when really was just hills. That's a different level of wealth. He's worth 100 million dollars before he played a down. Every offseason his family would beg him to quit. But he loved it too much. Wilson might be another Carson palmer but the Palmers were very old money by California standards. guys like that are the exception to the rule. I don't know wilson personally but others do and he's not Carson palmer 

• Upvote 1