Todd McShay: Wilson is a lock to go 2nd overall

GreekJet

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

He's way more athletic than he gets credit for. He does not scare me at all. I think he will be a franchise QB in the NFL. Just too much talent

I want to know if the shoulder surgery / injury risk is overblown and I’d like to see him check in at a solid 6-2 220....I think that would surprise a lot of the critics who insist he’s not physically imposing enough to pay QB in the NFL and be a successful FQB. It’s interesting looking at him as he doesn’t look bulky or a physical beast like a Josh Allen does but he also doesn’t look tiny, it’s hard to gauge looking at him in the huddle whether or not he measures up to a guy like Rodgers or even Darnold physically or if he’s closer to a skinny Mayfield.

if he’s 6-1, 210ish it’s not a deal breaker but I think I definitely get more nervous with him at 2 overall but in terms of talent I don’t know how anyone can watch him and not be wowed. His measurements will be critical for him.

Incidentally it’s interesting how Wilson gets all the questions about his physique, nobody seems to be bothered that Lawrence is a stick insect out there ....Mike Glennon without the neck!

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

I want to know if the shoulder surgery / injury risk is overblown and I’d like to see him check in at a solid 6-2 220....I think that would surprise a lot of the critics who insist he’s not physically imposing enough to pay QB in the NFL and be a successful FQB. It’s interesting looking at him as he doesn’t look bulky or a physical beast like a Josh Allen does but he also doesn’t look tiny, it’s hard to gauge looking at him in the huddle whether or not he measures up to a guy like Rodgers or even Darnold physically or if he’s closer to a skinny Mayfield.

if he’s 6-1, 210ish it’s not a deal breaker but I think I definitely get more nervous with him at 2 overall but in terms of talent I don’t know how anyone can watch him and not be wowed. His measurements will be critical for him.

Incidentally it’s interesting how Wilson gets all the questions about his physique, nobody seems to be bothered that Lawrence is a stick insect out there ....Mike Glennon without the neck!

image.thumb.jpeg.85708ac5cd932dc3e9a483503d28a2a1.jpeg

Drew Breese is 6’ - he ain’t 6’1

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

48 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i still think it would be Darnold or Watson. You have to think the jets have the right of first refusal on Watson because they hold the second pick and its the only pick that guarantees the Texans any QB they want to rebuild around.

I could see Fields being the next version of Watson. Physically gifted strong arm it’s just a matter of whether he can step up in the big game.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

I think Wilson will actually be a player that benefits from no combine.  He is not as physically impressive as Fields & Lance so I don't think he would have tested as well as them.   And I'm guessing the medical evaluation will not be as in-depth as non-Covid times.  

He scares me so much at #2.  Really hoping Watson becomes a reality for us or we trade down.

I think just the opposite. The combine is probably more telling for the QB's than for any other players. Teams can see first hand a QB's arm strength, ball placement, accuracy side by side with all the other guys. I really think that may well have separated Wilson from the others, not hurt him. As far as the medicals go, the team evaluations of this kid, where ever they take place, will be more extensive than anyone in recent memory.

FWIW, Mike Tannenbaum (yes, I know) was on ESPN this morning talking about seeing Zach Wilson in person. He said he had a lot of concerns about his frame and, given his injury history, he had concerns that the injuries would rack up in the NFL. He cited Wentz and another QB (I forgot who) as QBs who had injuries in college and have continued to get injured in the pros. 

• Upvote 3

Wilson looks like he has a couple of inches on Brees, but look at the shoulder width on both of them. Brees has that athletic mesomorph build. Wilson has that ectomorph body type, it's going to be harder for him to put on muscle and keep his weight up. Combine that with the way Wilson likes to run around, he's a walking injury waiting to happen. 
.. I can see the concern ... it's really a guess at this point. We have to remember that guys out of college always get bigger.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Wilson looks like he has a couple of inches on Brees, but look at the shoulder width on both of them. Brees has that athletic mesomorph build. Wilson has that ectomorph body type, it's going to be harder for him to put on muscle and keep his weight up. Combine that with the way Wilson likes to run around, he's a walking injury waiting to happen. 

Or...brees is wearing a tighter shirt, and looks leaner against better lighting that creates shadows. 

I used to photoshop my MySpace&Facebook pics to look #ripped in the pre-filter era, so I'm an expert on both bro-science and image embellishment. 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 3