Who should the Jets sign to backup Zach Wilson?

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The aversion to signing a qualified backup to Wilson is rooted in a deep fear that Wilson won’t be great right away and all those Jets fans who threw themselves in the path of every Wilson criticism during the draft process will feel betrayed if Saleh doesn’t start him on Day One

Some truth to this but Wilson is starting. It’s a foregone conclusion. That said I’d like a backup QB with upside like a Trubisky (yes, I know no longer available) or a Minshew.

0.00% interest in a JAG journeyman like Matt Moore or Brian Hoyer.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, slats said:

Pretty sure you're the only person here who thinks it's a possibility that Wilson isn't the opening day starter. 

It’s me, the guy that thinks it’s foolish not to have another viable QB option on the roster if Wilson—he of the multiple surgeries; the kid who almost lost his starting role in 2020 because of poor, injury-induced play; the sheltered suburban yokel from pastoral Utah—isn’t ready to go. It’s a silly decision to place the weight of the franchise on his back immediately when you could—at least performatively—buy the kid a few months to figure out the jug-handles on New Jersey interstates while learning an NFL offense. But then again, I’m also intrigued by the idea of a James Morgan-led Jets team. I keep reading that anyone can run that offense.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s me, the guy that thinks it’s foolish not to have another viable QB option on the roster if Wilson—he of the multiple surgeries; the kid who almost lost his starting role in 2020 because of poor, injury-induced play; the sheltered suburban yokel from pastoral Utah—isn’t ready to go. It’s a silly decision to place the weight of the franchise on his back immediately when you could—at least performatively—buy the kid a few months to figure out the jug-handles on New Jersey interstates while learning an NFL offense. But then again, I’m also intrigued by the idea of a James Morgan-led Jets team. I keep reading that anyone can run that offense.

There's a difference between thinking that would be a good idea and actually thinking it might happen. 

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He missed, what 3 games in college for a broken thumb?  

Sounds like the call for a viable backup isnt to actually have a backup in place but just an excuse to rehash all the pre draft nonsense.   

Given hes a suburban yokel from pastoral Utah.  I hope that pastoral NJ wont be a obstacle for him.  

Its getting old, Zachs the QB of the Jets for the foreseeable future.  Might make more sense to root him on.  Unless you want losses all around

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

He missed, what 3 games in college for a broken thumb?  

Sounds like the call for a viable backup isnt to actually have a backup in place but just an excuse to rehash all the pre draft nonsense.   

Given hes a suburban yokel from pastoral Utah.  I hope that pastoral NJ wont be a obstacle for him.  

Its getting old, Zachs the QB of the Jets for the foreseeable future.  Might make more sense to root him on.  Unless you want losses all around

All I heard during the pre-draft process was that we had to ignore Wilson’s 2019 tape because he was “injured,” but now all I hear is that Wilson was never injured. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

All I heard during the pre-draft process was that we had to ignore Wilson’s 2019 tape because he was “injured,” but now all I hear is that Wilson was never injured. 

I never said that about 2019 and havent said he was never injured.  But fact is he missed little time and it was for a broken thumb.  

He had his shoulder scoped and missed 0 time over it and still has maybe the best arm of the draft.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

I’d be surprised if they don’t bring in someone like Nick Mullens.  

I feel like he makes the most sense at this point. They could be waiting for Chicago to cut Nick Foles but not sure Foles would want to come to a rebuilding team and likely just sit the bench at this point.

20 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

A competent backup is necessary. If he struggled or gets hurt we still need to win games. 

We drafted Wilson, forget about losing for draft position. We need the losing culture changed. Winning changed everything. 

Winning is nice but for 2021 I don't think a steady hand backup QB is the ideal fit. This team is not contending. Prefer a backup QB with upside rather than a known-quantity JAG who at best will protect the football and game manage. The latter type of QB is for contending teams to maybe play .500 ball if your FQB misses a couple games.

On 5/15/2021 at 4:23 PM, T0mShane said:

If he performs poorly suddenly "playing hurt" will be the narrative around here. Disregard the instant flip-flop this board had regarding Fields when he played with bruised ribs and sternum during the national championship. 

• Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

Winning is nice but for 2021 I don't think a steady hand backup QB is the ideal fit. This team is not contending. Prefer a backup QB with upside rather than a known-quantity JAG who at best will protect the football and game manage. The latter type of QB is for contending teams to maybe play .500 ball if your FQB misses a couple games.

All veteran backups aren't equal. e.g. Mullins won't cost more than White, and if he does you're talking about the $100K range since he'll be making the vet minimum. Nobody's lining up to sign him or any of the other remaining FA QBs.

After his first team saw what he was after the draft, the only person who thought White was deserving of a roster spot was Adam Gase, who uncoincidentally was also the only one who felt that way about Luke Falk. White couldn't beat out someone named Cooper Rush, and Morgan couldn't beat out Mike White. 

I'm fine with Morgan as the #2 -- if he earns it. Yes the team has coaches and a coordinator on that side of the ball, but as of right now the player on the Jets' roster with the most NFL passes appears to be Jamison Crowder and his two career trick play attempts.

Imo it's easy/convenient for fans to roll their eyes at having at least one person for Wilson to bounce things off (particularly one who's started in this system recently). More accomplished QBs than Wilson have attested that it isn't nothing, even if it seems so on the stat sheet. They could bring in Mullins (or someone else) and he could still be worth rostering even if Morgan (or I guess White) beats him out for the #2 job if he's still got some lingering effects of prior surgery and sucking.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

A competent backup is necessary. If he struggled or gets hurt we still need to win games. 

We drafted Wilson, forget about losing for draft position. We need the losing culture changed. Winning changed everything. 

They need a QB who can run the offense if Wilson can't go, that simple. If they believe that QB is James Morgan or Mike White, that's fine. They better be right, though. If they don't believe that one of those guys can handle it, then they need to bring in one of these so-called scrubs to do the job. Can't have the position manned at Luke Falk levels while they're trying to integrate and develop a completely revamped WR corps in a new offense. 

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, slats said:

They need a QB who can run the offense if Wilson can't go, that simple. If they believe that QB is James Morgan or Mike White, that's fine. They better be right, though. If they don't believe that one of those guys can handle it, then they need to bring in one of these so-called scrubs to do the job. Can't have the position manned at Luke Falk levels while they're trying to integrate and develop a completely revamped WR corps in a new offense. 

The only one who needs reps is Wilson. Mims and Moore are finished products and will get the requisite work & experience (in Wilson's absence) with the next Luke Falk.

I've seen some cap hawk talk over the years, but holy hell I've never seen anyone whining about the incremental cost of a 4th-5th year backup making the veteran minimum over a 2nd-3rd year backup making the veteran minimum. That's a whole new level of thriftiness.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The only one who needs reps is Wilson. Mims and Moore are finished products and will get the requisite work & experience (in Wilson's absence) with the next Luke Falk.

I've seen some cap hawk talk over the years, but holy hell I've never seen anyone whining about the incremental cost of a 4th-5th year backup making the veteran minimum over a 2nd-3rd year backup making the veteran minimum. That's a whole new level of thriftiness.

From everything I've heard, the team really likes Morgan, maybe even enough to not sign another QB, at least early on. To be fair, you could argue that Morgan is behind Wilson as far as needing reps, as Morgan really didn't get much attention last year with the prior staff, and Wilson did have a full season of games. Point being, Wilson obviously will get the lions share, probably 75-25, but if they like what they see in Morgan, that might be it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

From everything I've heard, the team really likes Morgan, maybe even enough to not sign another QB, at least early on. To be fair, you could argue that Morgan is behind Wilson as far as needing reps, as Morgan really didn't get much attention last year with the prior staff, and Wilson did have a full season of games. Point being, Wilson obviously will get the lions share, probably 75-25, but if they like what they see in Morgan, that might be it.

The "team" also spoke highly of Bryce Petty. 

I absolutely hope Morgan is the #2.

I still think they should bring in someone else. The idea of simply handing roster spots to two QBs - not one NFL pass between them - with a rookie QB who's also of course thrown none yet either, is the polar opposite of competition.

• Upvote 1

It seems like they are waiting to get a vet available or who will become available on the cheap. They are also right now evaluating Wilson. Flacco already signed with the Eagles and he wasn't terrible last season. You'd think this would be an important signing considering the unknowns on Wilson, our past experience as a franchise turning the job over to a rookie and the injury factors which have come back to burn us. Saving money on a second Qb isn't a good idea and some franchises are paying backups well. They might have a plan and somebody in mind but there's not too much time to wait on this. 

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Jets fans have appointed themselves woody’s accountant.

James Morgan and Mike White should have seen game action in 2020 as the QB so we would have a better grasp  on things. 

Why did JD allow AG to do as he damn well pleased with this situation. 

Hoping Zach Wilson is the real deal and the backup QB is not a discussion topic here on this forum for the next 25 years. 

On 5/16/2021 at 7:23 AM, joewilly12 said:

James Morgan and Mike White should have seen game action in 2020 as the QB so we would have a better grasp  on things. 

Hoping Zach Wilson is the real deal and the backup QB is not a discussion topic here on this forum for the next 25 years. 

Well JD was not AG boss.. Power dynamic with JD and Saleh is completely different.

Personally if Wilson goes down I want Morgan getting game reps not some washed out veteran. I would rather the QB#3 spot go depth at WR, or LB

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

I still don't understand the Zach Wilson pick. By many accounts on JN, James Morgan was drafted to be the Jets FQB and was a totally amazing and underrated use of a 4th round pick last year. It's not like anyone could have foreseen that Darnold would requre taking all of the QB1 reps in his third year to better inform JD on whether or not he should stick with him or move on, nor is it at all conceivable to find a veteran like Joe Flacco for super cheap in FA so as to not have to throw away a draft pick!

Should have traded #2 down for a haul to build around CAPTAIN MORGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

• WTF? 1

From a team building perspective it would be fantastic for James Morgan to come in and play decent for a game or two. Especially the first 1-2 games to take that pressure off Zach. 

We need to know if he is the long term backup here firstly which is a very valuable spot. Secondly if he plays well hell be extremely valuable if we want to trade him. 

People forget but Morgan was hyped and has a gun. He might surprise us a bit. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/16/2021 at 10:23 AM, joewilly12 said:

One more time, COVID forced teams to keep another COVID backup just in case. That means 3 QBs getting practice, no time for Morgan and White to get playing time in practices. 

All the JD wasnt AGs boss nonsense had nothing to do with it

37 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

One more time, COVID forced teams to keep another COVID backup just in case. That means 3 QBs getting practice, no time for Morgan and White to get playing time in practices. 

All the JD wasnt AGs boss nonsense had nothing to do with it

They both should have seen GAME TIME. 

what benefit was it to the NY Jets organization to keep playing Sam Darold. 

He was never in the 2021 plans. 

AG should never ever have another job around football. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Well JD was not AG boss.. Power dynamic with JD and Saleh is completely different.

Personally if Wilson goes down I want Morgan getting game reps not some washed out veteran. I would rather the QB#3 spot go depth at WR, or LB

Agree. I want a backup QB with at least a whiff of upside. 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

They both should have seen GAME TIME. 

what benefit was it to the NY Jets organization to keep playing Sam Darold. 

He was never in the 2021 plans. 

AG should never ever have another job around football. 

You're right.  No practice snaps but throw them, both into games.

What benefit would it be to throw a 4th round developmental player into a game without the bemefit of practice reps?  Kind of like jumping in front of moving cars to see what would happen.

AG has nothing to do with it. 

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You're right.  No practice snaps but throw them, both into games.

What benefit would it be to throw a 4th round developmental player into a game without the bemefit of practice reps?  Kind of like jumping in front of moving cars to see what would happen.

AG has nothing to do with it. 

Sam Darnold had all the practice snaps what good did that do him or the NY Jets. 

Bad players are replaced all over the league. 

Here we have excuse makers. 

49ers did it with Mullens and Washington did it with Heineke. 

On 5/15/2021 at 10:23 AM, T0mShane said:

Maybe all that college jazz is irrelevant now, and we should just wait to see him play with out own eyes in Camp before we start making judgements pro or con?

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Looks like he was, indeed, a Cheatriot spy.

Also looks like the Jets might actually be willing to roll with White and Morgan as the QB depth.

Unless they are waiting for Mullens to get healthy, there is very little left on the vet FA QB market.