Without a #1 receiver, an upgrade to the offensive line, and a top flight running back, this offseason will be a failure!

Alka

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

FYP.

A rebuild going "the right direction" means you do not suck. 

If you suck, the rebuild is by default NOT going in the right direction.

The NFL is not a 5-year plan league.  

It's a league designed explicitly for parity.  A right direction rebuild starts in year one returning a team back to some level of that parity.

Thank you!  Sucking would be getting Watson and giving up all of our draft capital, and going 4-12 next year.  Of course, we would be giving up our 1st round pick for 2022 as well.

Not getting a #1 wide receiver this year and not upgrading our offensive line would be the definition of insanity.  Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I started this thread because after the possible #1 wide receivers got franchised recently, I have little hope of getting a #1 in free agency.  We must get one if not in free agency, then in the draft.  If it's in the draft, then we are forced to keep Darnold for another season and get the player we need in the top 8 spots.  That is just my humble opinion.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I'm looking at the wide receivers from other teams get franchised, and I can't help but think that if we don't get a #1 wide receiver in free agency, then the Jets must get one in the draft. Yes, I am in favor of acquiring more draft picks by moving down from the #2 spot, but I don't think we can trade below the #8 spot if we want to secure the wide receiver we have to get if not before then.

If we keep Perriman, then to me he is a #4 wide receiver, since he seems to always be hurt, and no one will mistake him for a #1 wide receiver.

We whiffed on a couple of offensive linemen in free agency last year, mostly because JD went cheap with short-term deals on players who needed to prove themselves but didn't.

What does this all mean?  It means to me that the Jets cannot afford to trade for Watson, or even pick up a QB with the #2 pick in the draft, unless we hit really good on free agency, or we will definitely suck again in 2021.

There has been no "expert" out there in any realm that doesn't think that this Jets current roster is void of talent, and there is consensus that our roster as it currently stands may be the worst in the NFL.

Time to come back to reality!  JD may be forced to give Darnold another shot!  But Darnold will not be able to be evaluated properly in year #4, unless the offense is boosted up big time.  Maccagnan focused on Darnold and defense, defense and more defense.  The Jets got worse, worse and worst.  Darnold went from being the franchise QB to being broken.  Time to focus on offense, and change the story line.

I think it all comes down to free agency!  Sink or swim, and if we sink, then the draft becomes vital to get back to respectability.

This view is short-sighted.  We're gonna suck next year anyway.  If we trade 3 ones for Watson - we enter 2022 and beyond with a FQB and a full slate of picks.  Now we're talking.

No more wasting future high picks QB's.  Check out Cincy now... they can draft BPA that fits while we have to spend our 2 on a wish.

3 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Does anyone ever consider of there are true # 1 receivers available?

Golladay is

Guys like JuJu and Samuel may not be true #1’s but there’s still no doubt that they’d give a big boost to this teams WR corps.

Beggars can’t be choosers

We’re flush with cap space and are most likely going to be breaking in a new QB.

I’d rather not ruin another one

53 minutes ago, slats said:

As far as playmakers go, the focus has to be on the WR position where the Jets fielded crap most of last year. They need a stable of WRs so that when two or three get hurt, they still have the bodies behind them to field NFL caliber players. Marshall and Decker still have fans praising the talents of Ryan Fitzpatrick. That was the last time this team had receivers. 

Mims is promising. Add a top FA and hit the position again in the first three rounds - maybe in the first if JD can trade into the range where one of the top three guys will still be there. Maybe again later, especially if he trades down and collects even more picks. 

I'd put TE at a higher priority than RB. It's a bigger hole on the roster, and the right TE could really stir the drink in this offense. 

They need defensive help at the premium positions as well; CB & Edge. Premium picks need to be used on premium positions, especially on a roster devoid of those premium players. 

Perine, Johnson, a mid/late pick, etc., forming a committee. That'll be fine this year. 

Everyone talks about RB in the Shanny offense, but TE is equally as important. Going all the way back to Shannon Sharpe. 

I’d honestly look at Jonnu Smith in FA and think we can get a stud RB in the 3rd. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, slats said:

As far as playmakers go, the focus has to be on the WR position where the Jets fielded crap most of last year. They need a stable of WRs so that when two or three get hurt, they still have the bodies behind them to field NFL caliber players. Marshall and Decker still have fans praising the talents of Ryan Fitzpatrick. That was the last time this team had receivers. 

Mims is promising. Add a top FA and hit the position again in the first three rounds - maybe in the first if JD can trade into the range where one of the top three guys will still be there. Maybe again later, especially if he trades down and collects even more picks. 

I'd put TE at a higher priority than RB. It's a bigger hole on the roster, and the right TE could really stir the drink in this offense. 

They need defensive help at the premium positions as well; CB & Edge. Premium picks need to be used on premium positions, especially on a roster devoid of those premium players. 

Perine, Johnson, a mid/late pick, etc., forming a committee. That'll be fine this year. 

I agree with the bolded.  As much as I would love to get a Kenny Gollladay, he may cost $18-$20M per year.  What if, for the same money we can add two #2 receivers, Guys like Rashard HIggins, Curtis Samuel, Corey Davis, Nelson Agholor, etc.  Two solid #2 guys plus Mims, Crowder and a day 2/early day 3 draft pick would not be a bad group and should give us enough depth that we do not have to start guys like Cager/Hogan/Berrios in case of injury.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Golladay is

Guys like JuJu and Samuel may not be true #1’s but there’s still no doubt that they’d give a big boost to this teams WR corps.

Beggars can’t be choosers

We’re flush with cap space and are most likely going to be breaking in a new QB.

I’d rather not ruin another one

Agree.  But Sam sucks regardless, even though he never had one, according to so many experts.  

With only one guy available, who gets injured, we will be lucky to solve this issue via FA

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

FYP.

A rebuild going "the right direction" means you do not suck. 

If you suck, the rebuild is by default NOT going in the right direction.

The NFL is not a 5-year plan league.  

It's a league designed explicitly for parity.  A right direction rebuild starts in year one returning a team back to some level of that parity.

It didn’t need fixing.

Free agent spending isn’t the solution. In fact, it’s a huge part of the team moving in the wrong direction in those years you added.

Firmly disagree with the bold. Especially when the team is saddled with bad free agent contracts.

I’m sure you’d disagree, but I think if Douglas goes wild in FA and tries to plug all the holes and maxes out cap space the team’s ceiling is somewhere in the range of .500. That falls within my definition of sucks - which is probably too wide - but I think the goal should be a championship. And then in two years those contracts get bad and it needs to be blown up again.

I’m all for practical spending. This team isn’t getting fixed to the point of being competitive this offseason. So I don’t get the point in overextending. 

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Agreed 100%

Frankly, I’m not even sure if the Jets will use a draft pick at all on the RB position.

I’d probably put my money on Douglas signing a relatively cheap, young vet like Jamaal Williams or Matt Breida after the initial wave of FA to pair with Johnson and Perine.

That would be the worst running back group in football. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree with the bolded.  As much as I would love to get a Kenny Gollladay, he may cost $18-$20M per year.  What if, for the same money we can add two #2 receivers, Guys like Rashard HIggins, Curtis Samuel, Corey Davis, Nelson Agholor, etc.  Two solid #2 guys plus Mims, Crowder and a day 2/early day 3 draft pick would not be a bad group and should give us enough depth that we do not have to start guys like Cager/Hogan/Berrios in case of injury.

I do think that last year was a pretty unprecedented stretch of WR injuries and the Jets putting less receivers on the field in the new scheme won’t make things quite as ugly when there are a couple injuries.

I do get your point but I would much rather sign Golladay and focus on spending draft picks on guys to build that depth than build the depth with FA’s. To me drafting the backups is how you eventually get one of those Baltimore type rosters where guys just have replacement behind them and the team gets comp picks to restock.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

That would be the worst running back group in football. 

You build up a badass OL and you don’t need to draft a RB in the 1st round or drop $10+ million a year on one in FA.

I’d love someone like Harris or Etienne but not with the holes that this team has all over the place. That’s the kind of pick that a team like Green Bay or Pittsburgh or Tampa or Kansas City makes.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, derp said:

I do think that last year was a pretty unprecedented stretch of WR injuries and the Jets putting less receivers on the field in the new scheme won’t make things quite as ugly when there are a couple injuries.

I do get your point but I would much rather sign Golladay and focus on spending draft picks on guys to build that depth than build the depth with FA’s. To me drafting the backups is how you eventually get one of those Baltimore type rosters where guys just have replacement behind them and the team gets comp picks to restock.

Don't get me wrong, I would be very happy if we can sign Golladay. 

But I don't consider receivers who can give you 50-60 receptions; 700 -800 yards to be back ups and those are the kind of guys I would be looking for.  With the amount of 3 and 4 WR sets, there are plenty of reps to go around for 4 solid receivers.

• Upvote 1

WR and OL need to be improved for sure. RB in the Shanny system is a dime a dozen, plug and play a single cut back runner and if the talent around them is good they will succeed. We should really invest heavily in EDGE as well since that is what keeps Saleh's defenses efficient

This. And add to that the fact that neither Saleh nor JD came up in programs that placed a high priority on RBs in the draft and I think that anyone looking for the Jets to take a round 1 RB or sign a big money FA RB will be disappointed.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I agree with you.  But the Jets need playmakers, and I place more value right now on a running back who can be an outlet for 3rd down out of the backfield who can catch a pass and make a first down, then I do a cornerback or another hopeful edge pass rusher in the 2nd or 3rd round.  We got Zabari in the 3rd round, and I would have preferred a higher-end running back who would have made a much bigger impact.

I don’t see trying to find an edge in the 3rd round works out too well.  The last true pass rusher they had was Abraham and he was the 13 th pick.  Maybe Zabari improves but he also might be polite jr.

2 hours ago, Alka said:

I'm looking at the wide receivers from other teams get franchised, and I can't help but think that if we don't get a #1 wide receiver in free agency, then the Jets must get one in the draft. Yes, I am in favor of acquiring more draft picks by moving down from the #2 spot, but I don't think we can trade below the #8 spot if we want to secure the wide receiver we have to get if not before then.

If we keep Perriman, then to me he is a #4 wide receiver, since he seems to always be hurt, and no one will mistake him for a #1 wide receiver.

We whiffed on a couple of offensive linemen in free agency last year, mostly because JD went cheap with short-term deals on players who needed to prove themselves but didn't.

What does this all mean?  It means to me that the Jets cannot afford to trade for Watson, or even pick up a QB with the #2 pick in the draft, unless we hit really good on free agency, or we will definitely suck again in 2021.

There has been no "expert" out there in any realm that doesn't think that this Jets current roster is void of talent, and there is consensus that our roster as it currently stands may be the worst in the NFL.

Time to come back to reality!  JD may be forced to give Darnold another shot!  But Darnold will not be able to be evaluated properly in year #4, unless the offense is boosted up big time.  Maccagnan focused on Darnold and defense, defense and more defense.  The Jets got worse, worse and worst.  Darnold went from being the franchise QB to being broken.  Time to focus on offense, and change the story line.

I think it all comes down to free agency!  Sink or swim, and if we sink, then the draft becomes vital to get back to respectability.

This is wrong. The Jets will not be heavily investing (either dollars or draft picks) at RB. And if they do, they would be making a major mistake

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alka said:

I have no issue giving Darnold one more year, and trading out of the #2 spot.  They could go down about 4-5 spots, get MULTIPLE picks (both now and in the future), and guarantee either JaMarr Chase, Jaylen Waddle, or DaVonta Smith.  

They could then use #23 to possibly draft a QB to sit behind (and push) Darnold at #23, or draft Wyatt Davis at guard.  Then, you will probably have one of Najee Harris or Travis Etienne sitting there at #34.  With that, adding a true #1 receiver, Mims, Perriman, Crowder, and Berrios, Darnold has LOTS of targets.  If we have a true number one RB and a mauling guard like Davis, not to mention either Thuney or Linsley added in F/A, there is NO excuse about Darnold.  He sinks or swims.  If he swims...>GREAT!  If he sinks, then we will have AT LEAST three first round picks next year to maneouver in the draft to take Sam Howell, Tyler Shough, Kedon Slovis, Bo Nix, or any other QB who might move up after this upcoming season.

2 hours ago, Alka said:

All stud receivers will be gone by #23.  #1 wide receivers don't grow on trees.  Please tell me, when was the last time we drafted a #1 wide receiver, or signed a "young" #1 wide receiver in free agency.  don't tell me Brandon Marshall, since he was 31 years old when we got him.

20 years ago?  No more excuses!

Your heart is in the right place homie, but your brand of threads have become onerous at best - and you don't follow the draft close enough to be making these kinds of remarks. 

46 minutes ago, Lith said:

Don't get me wrong, I would be very happy if we can sign Golladay. 

But I don't consider receivers who can give you 50-60 receptions; 700 -800 yards to be back ups and those are the kind of guys I would be looking for.  With the amount of 3 and 4 WR sets, there are plenty of reps to go around for 4 solid receivers.

For what it’s worth - I forget the exact numbers but when I was looking at last year’s formation splits for the the 49ers and Packers (the two offenses I’ve been looking at the most to try to project what the Jets might do) they were around three wide receivers half the time and two wide receivers half the time (Packers more three, 49ers more two) and they both ran one wide receiver more than four wide receivers. Jets last year had three or four wide on like three quarters of snaps. I think it’ll be a lot different than what we’ve seen the last couple of years.

I think there are big gaps between the guys who can consistently produce big numbers even in mediocre situations (Detroit’s QB’s were gross during Golladay’s monster 2019), guys who are just NFL caliber WR’s like the guys you mentioned, and everyone else (more like many of the guys the Jets trotted out last year). I’m probably understating how difficult it is to find guys in that second bucket, but I do think the gap between the first and second buckets is pretty large too and it has a big impact on the offense - especially the Shanahan style system where a lot of targets go to one guy (Adams in GB, Kittle in SF, Julio when Kyle Shanahan was in Atlanta, etc).

I’m all for the stable of WR’s and a bunch of guys who can play, more like the old school Packers offenses where they just had a host of second round picks and it was always next guy up when someone left and all three or four guys on the field could hurt you. I just don’t think it meshes as well with what they’re actually going to be trying to run. More fullbacks on the field, tight ends, etc. Is what it is but it does seem to work when run well and I do like the run scheme.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

It didn’t need fixing.

Sure it did, it's the same argument we've been hearing for ages.  Just need time, just need time, just need time.

I'll repeat, the NFL in 2021 is not a 5-year plan league.  Rebuilds are one-year changes, not Stalinesque six year plans.

Free agent spending isn’t the solution. In fact, it’s a huge part of the team moving in the wrong direction in those years you added.

Really?  So sitting tens of millions below the cap is the route to success?  The recent years teams would beg to differ.

Firmly disagree with the bold.

Not sure what else to say, you're seemingly tolerant of sucking endlessly as long as you can say "the rebuild is headed int he right direction", of course, without the primary indicator (wins) that the rebuild is, in fact, headed in the right direction.  Your view appears completely absent of both any expectations or any accountability for our GM and Front Office.

I’m sure you’d disagree, but I think if Douglas goes wild in FA and tries to plug all the holes and maxes out cap space the team’s ceiling is somewhere in the range of .500.

Dpends of if he's any good at his job or not.  

If he "goes wild" in FA, and has a good draft, a competent GM should be fielding a competitive team in 2021.  Not an elite team, but a competitive one (in the usual .500 +/- 1 range).

That falls within my definition of sucks - which is probably too wide - but I think the goal should be a championship. And then in two years those contracts get bad and it needs to be blown up again.

Understand, you will never GET to a Championship without getting to .500 first, lol.  There is no rebuild scenario where we endlessly go 4-12, then suddenly become elite when it all comes together and we go 12-4.

It will only be blown up again if JD is a bad GM and makes bad decisions.....which, in fairness, is what he's mostly done so far outside his #1 overall picks.

I’m all for practical spending. This team isn’t getting fixed to the point of being competitive this offseason. So I don’t get the point in overextending. 

I'm all for the team spending to the Cap each year on the best players we can get.  There is no point being 20 mil under the cap every year for years on end.

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

You build up a badass OL and you don’t need to draft a RB in the 1st round or drop $10+ million a year on one in FA.

I’d love someone like Harris or Etienne but not with the holes that this team has all over the place. That’s the kind of pick that a team like Green Bay or Pittsburgh or Tampa or Kansas City makes.

The team needs to score more points. 

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The team needs to score more points. 

Sure, no argument there.

But why does that mean we have to draft a RB in the first two rounds or splurge on one in FA?

When it comes to the offensive side of the ball, I’m much more interested in investing premium resources into the OL and WR corps. Hell, TE is more of a dire need than RB as well. Especially in this offense. How anyone can still have faith in Herndon based off a handful of games from 3 years ago is beyond me. I’d rather sign a guy like Hunter Henry or Johnnu Smith over paying top dollar for a RB like Aaron Jones or Chris Carson. And never mind Kyle Pitts, I’d also draft a dude like Freiermuth at #34 over taking a RB that high.

32 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Sure, no argument there.

But why does that mean we have to draft a RB in the first two rounds or splurge on one in FA?

When it comes to the offensive side of the ball, I’m much more interested in investing premium resources into the OL and WR corps. Hell, TE is more of a dire need than RB as well. Especially in this offense. How anyone can still have faith in Herndon based off a handful of games from 3 years ago is beyond me. I’d rather sign a guy like Hunter Henry or Johnnu Smith over paying top dollar for a RB like Aaron Jones or Chris Carson. And never mind Kyle Pitts, I’d also draft a dude like Freiermuth at #34 over taking a RB that high.

Would you rather splurge on a guard? Someone like Aaron Jones who is a duel purpose guy, can score from anywhere, play 3 downs is the exactly the type of guy the Jets can afford to spend on with the amount of space they have.  Also add on their current group of backs is at the bottom of the league, if not the worst... coupled with an offense that can’t move the ball and a likely rookie QB. It makes some sense.

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Would you rather splurge on a guard? Someone like Aaron Jones who is a duel purpose guy, can score from anywhere, play 3 downs is the exactly the type of guy the Jets can afford to spend on with the amount of space they have.  Also add on their current group of backs is at the bottom of the league, if not the worst... coupled with an offense that can’t move the ball and a likely rookie QB. It makes some sense.

I’d absolutely rather pay a Joe Thuney or Corey Linsley over Aaron Jones.

Last time I saw Jones he was repeatedly putting the ball on the ground in the NFC Championship game.

RB’s are a dime a dozen, especially behind a quality offensive line.

Sign Thuney/Linsley, draft another OL in the Top 35 and watch a platoon of Jamaal Williams, Ty Johnson and La’Michal Perine put up 600+ yards rushing apiece.

The 49ers have been doing just that with dudes like Matt Breida, Raheem Mostert, Jeff Wilson, etc ever since Shanahan got there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Sure it did, it's the same argument we've been hearing for ages.  Just need time, just need time, just need time.

I'll repeat, the NFL in 2021 is not a 5-year plan league.  Rebuilds are one-year changes, not Stalinesque six year plans.

Really?  So sitting tens of millions below the cap is the route to success?  The recent years teams would beg to differ.

Not sure what else to say, you're seemingly tolerant of sucking endlessly as long as you can say "the rebuild is headed int he right direction", of course, without the primary indicator (wins) that the rebuild is, in fact, headed in the right direction.  Your view appears completely absent of both any expectations or any accountability for our GM and Front Office.

Dpends of if he's any good at his job or not.  

If he "goes wild" in FA, and has a good draft, a competent GM should be fielding a competitive team in 2021.  Not an elite team, but a competitive one (in the usual .500 +/- 1 range).

Understand, you will never GET to a Championship without getting to .500 first, lol.  There is no rebuild scenario where we endlessly go 4-12, then suddenly become elite when it all comes together and we go 12-4.

It will only be blown up again if JD is a bad GM and makes bad decisions.....which, in fairness, is what he's mostly done so far outside his #1 overall picks.

I'm all for the team spending to the Cap each year on the best players we can get.  There is no point being 20 mil under the cap every year for years on end.

The hyperbole in your post is just mind boggling. How did you seriously get from my post to Stalinesque six year plans, seeming tolerance of endless sucking, and endlessly going 4-12 to 12-4? 

The prior years were awful. They were so bad because the old GM overspent in FA and saddled the team with bad contracts. That was very clearly *not* building in the right direction. Last offseason was okay but I’m not sure Douglas will last unless he drafts more effectively.

Spending in FA is rarely effective, you have to know that, and this roster is awful. There are too many holes to plug to be legitimately competitive this year. Most teams don’t hit in their FA’s. To me, spending to get to 8-8 this year is just asking for a repeat of the Mike Maccagnan era where the team almost sniffs a playoff spot before completely imploding.

What I’m suggesting isn’t not spending - I’ve said that several times. But if a guy isn’t going to positively impact the QB development or be on the team in 2023 making an impact - again, many FA’s don’t work out, not just the ones Mike Maccagnan signs - then it probably just means less rollover and a dead cap hit in a couple years when the team might actually make have a chance to be competitive.

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Your heart is in the right place homie, but your brand of threads have become onerous at best - and you don't follow the draft close enough to be making these kinds of remarks. 

As we all know, the NFL draft is a crap shoot.  The lower the rounds, the more of a crapshoot it is.

Can you pick up a #1 wide receiver in the later rounds?  Like Tom Brady in the 6th round, there are gems in every round.  While there is no sure thing in the draft, the likelihood is that the higher the pick, the better the chance of getting what you are hoping to get is improved by the fact that you are getting "first dibs" on the position.  

Looking at the Jets drafts of the past, the best players were the ones that we got higher up in the draft.  Keyshawn Johnson, Nick Mangold, Derelle Revis, Joe Namath etc.  were all gotten in the first round.  Sure, Joe Klecko in the 6th round, but there in lies the game of craps.

You are correct; I don't follow the draft close enough to know that the Jets can't or can get a #1 wide receiver at #23.  But if every NFL team knew for sure that the player we were going to pick at #23 would end up being a blue-chip wide receiver, then that player would probably not last until the 23rd pick of the draft.

If you follow the draft that closely, and are smart enough to know what players are premium picks, then you missed your calling and should be picking players for an NFL team.  

Certainly, many have tried and failed miserably, especially for the Jets.  Made millions of dollars to be given the opportunity, and have failed.

As far as you feeling that my threads are onerous, then please don't read them.  You won't be hurting my feelings; I promise.