I always thought from the begining Darnold wouldn’t be traded till draft day

The scenario I have always felt is say we pick our QB at #2, well then in the 1st round there are likely only 3 prospects left between the 4 of Fields, Wilson, Lance, and Jones, Below us are teams of the Falcons, Panthers, Washington, Broncos, and possibly the Eagles, etc. that all seriously could try to draft one of these QBs and are all in the top part of round 1 of the draft. Even other teams like the 49ers, Pitt, etc. may want one. Now for round 1 if only 3 QBs are left there are many teams there that are not going to get to pick a QB as they will all be gone as only 3 doesn't equal as many teams as mentioned. Now, those teams not getting a QB are not going to reach for a 2nd or 3rd round prospect with their 1st round pick. They will pick another position of need with the 1st rounder and by the time we get towards the end of the 1st round some of those teams quite possibly would be willing to trade a day 2 pick even in the 2nd rounder for Darnold instead of spending that pick on a QB that is even more of an unknown than the QBs picked in round 1. That is a scenario I have felt deep down could happen and if it does it is how the Jets planned it since why would you trade Darnold before you pick the QB in the draft you want?. You are leaving everything to chance there since you may have 1 player in mind that between now and then anything can happen with as an even increased chance then it used to be between now and the draft i.e Covid, Legalities(i.e especially sexual assault that now seems to be occurring frequently), Injuries, etc. Once we draft the QB we have some more control over those events since the team can do their best to steer the player away from situations like those. It's kind of like a Rock Group going under a record label. They own your a$$ as do the NFL teams that draft you.

• WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

The scenario I have always felt is say we pick our QB at #2, well then in the 1st round there are likely only 3 prospects left between the 4 of Fields, Wilson, Lance, and Jones, Below us are teams of the Falcons, Panthers, Washington, Broncos, and possibly the Eagles, etc. that all seriously could try to draft once of these QBs and are all in the top part of round 1 of the draft. Even other teams like the 49ers, Pitt, etc. may want one. Now for round 1 if only 3 QBs are left there are many teams there that are not going to get to pick a QB as they will all be gone as only 3 doesn't equal as many teams as mentioned. Now, those teams not getting a QB are not going to reach for a 2nd or 3rd round prospect with their 1st round pick. They will pick another position of need with the 1st rounder and by the time we get towards the end of the 1st round some of those teams quite possibly would be willing to trade a day 2 pick even in the 2nd round for Darnold instead of spending that pick on a QB that is even more of an unknow than the QBs picked in round 1. That is a scenario I have felt deep down could happen and if it does it is how the Jets planned it since why would you trade Darnold before you pick the QB in the draft you want?. You are leaving everything to chance then since you may have 1 player in mind that between now and then anything can happen with as an even increased chance then it used to be between now and the draft i.e Covid, Legalities(i.e especially sexual assault that now seems to be occurring frequently), Injuries, etc. Once we draft the QB we have some more control over those events since the team can do their best to steer the player away from situations like those. It's kind of like a Rock Group going under a record label. They own your a$$ as do the NFL teams that draft you.

What?

• Haha 4

Sorry pb, what word didn't you understand?. Would you quit a job before you had another one?. I never have and I certainly wouldn't trade my only starting QB before I get another in this case through the draft that I feel is an upgrade over what I have. Maybe I'd do it for good draft compensation like a 1st rounder around the 20 range, but not for a 2nd or 3rd round pick then going into the draft with a current QB depth chart of Morgan and White. But that is me and I don't take chances leaving things to fate. Some teams may have done that in the past but that is a decision you kinda make when you are like a true expansion team starting from complete scratch. Had we traded Darnold like a month ago we may not have even got most of the FAs we did since they don't appreciate hap hazzard decisions making like leaving yourself with no QBs going into the draft.

The only reason to trade Darnold before draft day is if some team made a great offer and said take it or leave it and here is your deadline to agree.

The situation is more likely a few teams have asked about him and they know about what teams are willing to pay.

I believe what a few of our 'insiders' have said that the Jets have not decide yet what they will do and they could very well still trade down from #2 if the offer is a huge one.

As much as it gauls people on this site the Jets have to major options, trade down and keep darnod for one more prove it year or at the draft take a QB at #2 and then trade darnold.

As an aside when i misspelled Darnold as danrold spell check told me the word was supposed to be Goldenrod

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RogerVick1980 said:

I know people are panicking about Darnolds value or thinking maybe they are keeping him  because he’s not traded yet but from the begining I thought it was clear he’d be traded draft day.

This was a offseason where a lot of Qbs were available in FA and two rumored to be were franchise Qbs so there was no reason for a team to settle for Darnold right away.

Add in a great draft for Qb’s and it gives teams even less reason to trade for Darnold early.

Ive thought all along whatever team gets shutout of Qb’s in FA and is picking too low to draft a Qb or trade  up for one will be the one that trades for Darnold.

What Darnolds value is I have no idea.. Always thought the rumors he could get a first back was insane even a 2nd rounder seemed ambitious but will find out.

But I don’t necessarily think because he hasn’t been traded yet that it means there is zero market for him.

If he is not traded before the draft it will be shocking if he was traded during it. Just doesn't happen with early picks for players on draft day. There are physicals and other issues which make it too hard. If he is not traded by next Wednesday he is not being traded before the draft.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

this way of thinking is "Jets-centric" 

the question that needs to be answered is what teams still  need a QB? Who is wait around for Darnold to become available to set their future plans? 

there might have been a time around the Wentz deal when teams were still playing with all sorts of what-ifs

as the draft approaches there just aren't as many suitors

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

If he is not traded before the draft it will be shocking if he was traded during it. Just doesn't happen with early picks for players on draft day. There are physicals and other issues which make it too hard. If he is not traded by next Wednesday he is not being traded before the draft.

Agreed. Teams want to go into the draft knowing what they need. Trading for Darnold on Draft day could completely alter your draft approach.

The closer we get to the draft the less likely he’ll be traded, IMO. 

either the Jets are actually committed to him for whatever reason or they were asleep at the wheel and lost the game of musical chairs. There really aren’t any logical destinations at this point, especially with 5 QBs expected to go in round 1.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

either the Jets are actually committed to him for whatever reason or they were asleep at the wheel and lost the game of musical chairs. There really aren’t any logical destinations at this point, especially with 5 QBs expected to go in round 1.

I think the jets weren’t going to do anything until after Wilson’s pro day, especially since there was no combine.  If they’re gonna go all in on him they’re gonna want as much info on him as possible before they trade darnold.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Teams with older Qb’s picking later first might take a chance.

I doubt the Steelers are married to Haskins  as the future Qb I could see themselves taking a chance on Sam.

If the Broncos can’t get a QB in the draft I could see them trading  for Sam.. he’s better then Locke.

Niners could be interested also.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

The scenario I have always felt is say we pick our QB at #2, well then in the 1st round there are likely only 3 prospects left between the 4 of Fields, Wilson, Lance, and Jones, Below us are teams of the Falcons, Panthers, Washington, Broncos, and possibly the Eagles, etc. that all seriously could try to draft one of these QBs and are all in the top part of round 1 of the draft. Even other teams like the 49ers, Pitt, etc. may want one. Now for round 1 if only 3 QBs are left there are many teams there that are not going to get to pick a QB as they will all be gone as only 3 doesn't equal as many teams as mentioned. Now, those teams not getting a QB are not going to reach for a 2nd or 3rd round prospect with their 1st round pick. They will pick another position of need with the 1st rounder and by the time we get towards the end of the 1st round some of those teams quite possibly would be willing to trade a day 2 pick even in the 2nd rounder for Darnold instead of spending that pick on a QB that is even more of an unknown than the QBs picked in round 1. That is a scenario I have felt deep down could happen and if it does it is how the Jets planned it since why would you trade Darnold before you pick the QB in the draft you want?. You are leaving everything to chance there since you may have 1 player in mind that between now and then anything can happen with as an even increased chance then it used to be between now and the draft i.e Covid, Legalities(i.e especially sexual assault that now seems to be occurring frequently), Injuries, etc. Once we draft the QB we have some more control over those events since the team can do their best to steer the player away from situations like those. It's kind of like a Rock Group going under a record label. They own your a$$ as do the NFL teams that draft you.

While in theory what you're saying makes sense. 

But you're leaving out the other side of the coin.  What if every team fills the QB holes and the market for Sam no longer exist or Sam gets hurt or assaults someone

So ultimately you have to ask yourself...What the larger risk

Zach Wilson (or Fields)permanently injuring himself or sexually assaulting someone OR....

All the teams interested in Sam losing interest because they filled the hole - OR Sam permanently injuring himself or sexually assaulting someone (the same risk for Sam goes for ZW/JF)

Then you have to make one final analysis.  Is it worth potentially losing a 2nd round pick (assuming that's the market) for the risk that ZW/JF has a serious issue arise over the next 6 weeks....

40 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If the Jets trade him for anything less than the 2nd round+ offer @Mogglez mentioned earlier this offseason from the Colts, then he royally screwed the pooch for a straightforward decision that was made way more complicated than it needed to be. Doesn't mean they shouldn't still try to move him, but I've been very underwhelmed by how he's approached QB since he's been here.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

I really wish I saw anything in the last two seasons that would make me as keen as some of you all seem in keeping this total bust.   Personally I don't get it.  9 TDs last season.  It's laughable.  Mono.  Small glimmers of hope almost always ending with some boneheaded decision.  Some strong starts but almost no good finishes.  In 3 years how many comeback wins other than the one against Buffalo that cost us a prime draft slot.  How can anyone in the stands, on this board, or worse off on the field have any confidence left in this guy?   Nice sure.  Clutch absolutely not.  He inspires no one on his side and instills fear in the hearts of no one on the opposition.  I will root for him if here but my confidence in our management will be severely dampened if that's the case.       

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

How can anyone in the stands, on this board, or worse off on the field have any confidence left in this guy?       

Stockholm

Also I feel like people are talking themselves into it because they think we're stuck with him.

With the way Joe Douglas conducted the head coach hiring process, and how he is handling this...he is a man who is going to be thorough before deciding.

• They all loved Saleh and let him leave the building without a deal because they agreed to also interview Arthur Smith a 2nd time.

• He said that they would wait until the pro days were complete before deciding on QB.

He clearly isn’t going to be pressures into making a hasty decision he will regret later on. 

QB and HC are the 2 biggest picks a GM can make. He isn’t swinging unless he sees that fast ball coming down the middle.

• Post of the Week 1

16 hours ago, johnnysd said:

There is not a single good argument for keeping Sam other than wishful thinking and fear of failure

yeah thats why people like mil kiper, chris simms, dan orlovsky, etc... have advocated for keeping him. you can think one way or the other but dont make dumb general, untrue statements.

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

yeah thats why people like mil kiper, chris simms, dan orlovsky, etc... have advocated for keeping him. you can think one way or the other but dont make dumb general, untrue statements.

It is not a dumb statement. To think Darnold will improve requires unreal projection essentially based on his original evaluation of 3 years ago. There is nothing about his performance to suggest he can be even an average QB in the NFL at this point and I was one of his biggest fans. 

Please let me know what concrete things you can point to to make the assumption and commitment that Sam will improve.

All the arguments to me are rationalizations and excuses. He didn't have weapons., he had a bad OL, he had bad coaching, etc.. Plus, he has also shown no ability to stay healthy.

Reupping for Sam has more risk than selecting Wilson, but please tell me what is so compelling about keeping the worst QB in football out there other than wish fufillment..

20 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Sorry pb, what word didn't you understand?. Would you quit a job before you had another one?. I never have and I certainly wouldn't trade my only starting QB before I get another in this case through the draft that I feel is an upgrade over what I have. Maybe I'd do it for good draft compensation like a 1st rounder around the 20 range, but not for a 2nd or 3rd round pick then going into the draft with a current QB depth chart of Morgan and White. But that is me and I don't take chances leaving things to fate. Some teams may have done that in the past but that is a decision you kinda make when you are like a true expansion team starting from complete scratch. Had we traded Darnold like a month ago we may not have even got most of the FAs we did since they don't appreciate hap hazzard decisions making like leaving yourself with no QBs going into the draft.

What?

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Reupping for Sam has more risk than selecting Wilson, but please tell me what is so compelling about keeping the worst QB in football out there other than wish fufillment..

It doesn't, though. If they take Wilson and he busts, the Jets have neither a QB nor or the value that the #2 overall pick can bring back in a trade. 

If they stick with Darnold and he doesn't turn the corner, but trade down from #2 and add extra players in the first and second rounds this year and have a third first rounder in 2022, they will have more than enough ammo to target a QB, then. If Darnold is so bad, at least one of those picks will be high. Need to keep rooting for Wilson to get moved. :) 

I've said all along that if they love the QB they should take him, but if they don't; they shouldn't. Seems like that's still where they are as they evaluate the QBs and the returns they can get in trades for Darnold or the #2. You may've written Darnold off, but the guys running the team still apparently believe that Darnold can at least be a solid starter in this league. It's obvious that you don't like it, but there's a logic to keeping the inexpensive, young, veteran at QB while your rookie head coach and offensive coordinator put their systems and program in place. All while adding additional premium picks to help build a roster that still needs a lot of work. They'll be much better equipped to incorporate a rookie QB into the program in its second year, when it's already up and running and (hopefully!) looking like it might work. Or -who knows?- maybe Darnold surprises you the way Josh Allen surprised @Jetsfan80. It happens. 

I don't know which way they're gonna go, but if they decide to take the QB at #2 this year, they need to be right about him. If they don't, and Darnold isn't working out, they've just punted the decision back a year. It's not nearly as catastrophic. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

It is not a dumb statement. To think Darnold will improve requires unreal projection essentially based on his original evaluation of 3 years ago. There is nothing about his performance to suggest he can be even an average QB in the NFL at this point and I was one of his biggest fans. 

Please let me know what concrete things you can point to to make the assumption and commitment that Sam will improve.

All the arguments to me are rationalizations and excuses. He didn't have weapons., he had a bad OL, he had bad coaching, etc.. Plus, he has also shown no ability to stay healthy.

haha "nothing about his performance to suggest he can be even an average QB in the NFL"...umm... 2019...3000 yards with 19td's and 13 picks in 13 games. 7-6 as starter on a team that was probably the least talented in the NFL by a mile. by the way when he was out for 3 games the team scored 23 points combined in 3 games.

"fans" have this delusion that the QB should be this gold standard thats meant to look amazing even if there is sh*t all around him, and then u know..."he is the guy"...its a crock of sh*t. He was not protected, he had no one to throw to, he had RB's to speak of, and his coaches put in him a position to fail. Was he able to deal with all that and still look like a stud? no, clearly not....but its delusional to think that he would.

but u know, keep doing the mental gymnastics

22 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

What an insight. I know I like to eliminate as many of my options as possible way before there is any reason to do so for no tangible benefit which is why it didn't make any sense to me!

The only thing left out of this "analysis" was the risk of any of the QB's getting injured sexually assaulting themselves, which Darnold has already done, in a manner of speaking ...

• Haha 1