Darnold to the Panthers

8 hours ago, RVAJet815 said:

Because Joe Douglas has one year plus of draft history. The Macc/Idzik/Tanney...Etc, etc years are irrelevant to JD. In simple terms of value, this trade hits it out of the park. It’s now Douglas’ job to draft well. If that doesn’t meet your expectations, well...sorry. 

Expectations? You mean coming in last place in the division again and missing the playoffs again?

Just now, slats said:

I think that $18M alone would've probably been enough. 

If his career is never resuscitated, he's probably a $5M back-up for as long as he wants starting in 2023. 

Hard to see the downside for Darnold here. The praise for him today in the media, revisionist as it may be, is indicative of what Zach Wilson is inheriting. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I think that $18M alone would've probably been enough. 

If his career is never resuscitated, he's probably a $5M back-up for as long as he wants starting in 2023. 

He will literally be Josh McCown 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Adam had two years to fix ten years of malfeasance.

And the end result of that was Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh and an actual chain of command.  Pretty good.  And you do realize Panthers fans are depressed right now, no?  I live amongst them. 

Carolina may have a couple solid coaches but their front office is for sh*t.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And the end result of that was Joe Douglas, Robert Saleh and an actual chain of command.  Pretty good.  And you do realize Panthers fans are depressed right now, no?  I live amongst them.

As they should be their organization just traded for the worst QB in the NFL in 2020. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

And the end result of that was Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh.  Pretty good.  And you do realize Panthers fans are depressed right now, no?  I live amongst them.

They are hillbillies. Regardless of how Darnold plays for them, he just won the lottery by getting freed from this sh*thole franchise.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, JiF said:

wha?  Carson Palmer was a starter for 3 seasons at USC, there for 5.   Palmer was being touted as the #1 overall for like 3 years.

Burrow was not a 1 year wonder.  Anyone that was watching the SEC could see the Burrow was coming on as he settled in as LSU's starter.  He finished 18 on fire and it carried into the greatest season for a QB in the history of college Football.  He was in college for 5 years, at 2 programs.  

Wilson was a nobody, who nobody on this board had ever heard of and then suddenly he's a somebody, throwing up hail mary's vs. nobodies.  I dont find any of these players comparable. 

What about Cam Newton? Former MVP?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

2 wins and dead last or near dead last offense for an offensive guru would suggest as much.

When a guy plucked off the Appalachian trail is far better oc then gase you know you have an issue

It’s not possible to say that Darnold was irredeemably bad, Leveon Bell was a corpse, and Mike Maccagnan was possibly the worst GM in history and to also say that 2-14 was all Gase’s fault

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Biggs said:

No offense taken.  A question, until proven otherwise what reason do you have to be pessimistic when it comes to the current Jets management and coaching staff?  I'm a fan, I'm invested, I don't see the upside in blaming Douglas and his staff for past Jets incompetence.  It's frankly irrelevant.  They will either improve the team or they won't.  As a fan I see upside in being rationally optimistic until actual results change my mind.

Don't be fooled by my "Fake" confidence.  I'm simply committed to being a fan and want the new football management to be successful.   I'm not at all convinced either way until there are tangible results either way.  I simply see no upside in blaming them or tying them to past management. 

It's probably rooted deeply somewhere in the "Jets never get it right, why would they now" category.  However, I've said numerous times that this seems to finally have the right set up.  Johnson's out of the way and JD is running the team.  For that I'm encouraged and intrigued but I've come to expect the worst, so it's hard for me to get excited for restarts over and over again.   

I think the biggest thing here is probably the Wilson preference.  It's just frustrating.  If we were talking about taking Justin Fields or even Trey Lance, I'd probably have a different tone.  I just simply dont think Wilson is going to be good, so that obviously impacts my pessimism.  Hope I'm wrong.  That would be awesome.  So I guess that is intriguing as well.  I'd love to be laughed at on this topic.  It would be amazing to get these things bumped in a few years and I look like a fool.  I will enjoy thoroughly. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s not possible to say that Darnold was irredeemably bad, Leveon Bell was a corpse, and Mike Maccagnan was possibly the worst GM in history and to also say that 2-14 was all Gase’s fault

But they could all be well below average and the aggregate effect was that the team was the 2nd worst. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Correct. 

I tend to think that Sam is a very flawed player and that Gase can only be blamed so much for not "developing" him. But good luck selling that to this fanbase. If Sam continues to more or less suck in Carolina, the narrative will be "the Jets (and especially Gase) ruined his confidence forever."  If Sam has success, it will be "the Jets (and especially Gase) held him back." It will never be on Sam. 

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

But they could all be well below average and the aggregate effect was that the team was the 2nd worst. 

Agreed

• Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So his solution for Leveon Bell was to trot out 900 year old frank gore and keep kids on the bench who actually looked good when they had a chance

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Carolina may have a couple solid coaches but their front office is for sh*t.  

I will admit that I have been scoping a Panthers board and it is really fun (and fascinating) to hear what another fanbase thinks of Sam and the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So his solution for Leveon Bell was to trot out 900 year old frank gore and keep kids on the bench who actually looked good when they had a chance

Frank Gore is not the reason this team only won two games. I’m inclined to believe that Gase was helping his buddy Joe Douglas out by acquiring the highest pick they could while shopping for luxury homes in the Bahamas all year

9 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Sunday Ticket had a feature where they condensed the game into a 30 minute window. It showed every play with only a few seconds between them.

Yea exactly, shave off those seconds and the ones during the tackle and it's probably pretty close to 15 mins

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Darnold was as comfortable playing quarterback as Stephen Hill was playing receiver. A couple of wow plays here and there, but not NFL starters. Darnold was one of the most unnatural players I've ever seen at the position. His athleticism carried him.