Morgan pick makes even less sense now... what a waste of a pick

Just reflecting a bit and have to say that this pick was a huge gaff by JD.  I know many weren’t happy with this pick at the time, but to come back the next draft and have to pick another QB..  geesh.  We wasted a 4th round pick on a backup that may never see the field.

This pick alone has me second guessing JD ability to hit picks in the draft.  These are so precious (particularly in the top 4 rounds) - especially when rebuilding from the ground up without going bananas in free agency (a la New England).

Hope I’m wrong but some of you are way more confident in JD drafting than me.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 24
  • WTF? 4
  • Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

you don't use a 4th on a player that may or may not play.  period.  4th rd pick should be for a player that becomes a starter or at the very least on the field as much as possible.  Especially when we have so many hoes to fill and backup QB was not one at the time

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 7

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If James Morgan becomes a decent, extremely cheap backup...how was that a waste of a pick?

This is the modern NFL where nearly 40 year old Ryan Fitzpatrick’s are pulling in $10 million a year.

Decent? how do you know? he never made it on the field

• Thumb Down 3

5 minutes ago, NOSIDE said:

The pick was an extra pick JD acquired by trading down. He fleeced NE and got a player they coveted. That itself earns JD the right to experiment with the pick and choose whom he pleases. And maybe he’s our primary backup this year, who knows?

lol he didn’t  even take a snap in preseason but you wana give him the backup role to a rookie...

I love this forum for its pure madness 

• Thumb Down 2

Just now, slats said:

I wish there was more whining and crying around here about the amazing blunder Joe Douglas managed to execute with the 125th pick last year. I mean, that 125th pick, you're really expected a perennial all pro there. 

This pick was an ultimate blunder in my opinion.  period.  Doesn't build confidence in his drafting capability.  And yes 125th pick is very important on a rebuild

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, slats said:

I wish there was more whining and crying around here about the amazing blunder Joe Douglas managed to execute with the 125th pick last year. I mean, that 125th pick, you're really expected a perennial all pro there. 

Oh now fourth rounders don’t matter anymore? Like defeats you guys getting wood every time Joe gets us another 6 th 

• Thumb Down 6
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

Just reflecting a bit and have to say that this pick was a huge gaff by JD.  I know many weren’t happy with this pick at the time, but to come back the next draft and have to pick another QB..  geesh.  We wasted a 4th round pick on a backup that may never see the field.

This pick alone has me second guessing JD ability to hit picks in the draft.  These are so precious (particularly in the top 4 rounds) - especially when rebuilding from the ground up without going bananas in free agency (a la New England).

Hope I’m wrong but some of you are way more confident in JD drafting than me.

Because trading away Darnold and drafting Wilson or Fields means we dont need a backup QB.

Can people stop with the idea that drafting a 5th WR or whatever is more important than having a long term, cheap backup or a trading asset on the sideline.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, MysticalJet2 said:

you don't use a 4th on a player that may or may not play.  period.  4th rd pick should be for a player that becomes a starter or at the very least on the field as much as possible.  Especially when we have so many hoes to fill and backup QB was not one at the time

Our backup at the time was Joe Flacco ... aging, declining and coming off a neck injury. No more than a one year stop gap.

If Sam had worked out last year we would have started this year with Sam & probably Morgan, if they felt he was up to the job. Sam not working out was the spanner in that idea. Can we roll with Wilson and Morgan? Sounds risky to me, so wouldn't be surprised to see another one year stop gap at backup.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

lol he didn’t  even take a snap in preseason but you wana give him the backup role to a rookie...

I love this forum for its pure madness 

He said "And maybe he’s our primary backup this year, who knows?"

The over the top exaggeration of the point to try and make your point doesnt work.

Again

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

I mean.... did you really think we were going to be 2-14? And be as bad we were.

I knew we’d suck, but come on. Sam was so bad, and whatever, but sorry, you don’t end up 2, and turn down a fresh start and a FQB.

Morgan is a backup QB. Let’s wait to see how Joe does in this draft before we blow our minds.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 QB picks in 4 years.   2 in top 5.  

We just got a 4th and a 6th for SD... so yes these later round picks are very important - especially on a rebuild.  4th rounder should be targeted as a starter imo.  Just saying, I am not as confident in his drafting skills as others seem to be. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Fourth rounders do matter, and the one spent on Morgan was one, ironically, that Joe Douglas added by trading down. I didn't love the pick, either, tbqh, but the crying over it here is ridiculous. He'll get on the field in preseason this year. We'll get a look. If he can be a serviceable backup for a years, that's a solid pick. The QB is important, so is his backup. If Morgan shines in the preseason, he may wind up being worth something in a trade to someone else, or maybe a comp pick down the road. It's an investment. 

We shall see indeed. I’m curious as well. He’s been locked up somewhere for the last year 

• Upvote 1

JD was in a bit of a tough spot, because picking a QB was somewhat of a bet on what system he was using.  Morgan is more of a drop back QB.  That is really the biggest headscratcher on the pick.  

So if JD knew that Gase was not necessarily here for the long-term, which appears to be what he was thinking last year, taking a QB, particularly Morgan, seemed particularly wasteful.  That is why people are so worked up over a single 4th round draft pick.  

The next QB picked after James Morgan (125) was Jake Fromm (167), which I would not done either.  After Morgan, JD's picks improved.

But after Morgan (125) and Cam Clark (129-who played alot less than OL picked after him), there was Kevin Dotson (125), Ben Bredeson (143), Tyler Biadasz (146), Shane Lemieux (150), Colton McKivitz (153) and Michael Onwenu (182).  I really disliked the draft last year, and Morgan is just a sample of the issue. 

Unless he can start/backup, it will go down as a wasted pick.  If the Jets want to make a playoff run in 2022, starting Wilson in September 2021 will backfire.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, MysticalJet2 said:

I would suggest you look at the success rate with fourth round picks. How many are still in the NFL, much less starting? In any case, Morgan has a had a chance to sit for a year. Let's see where he's at as a backup going forward. The good thing about fourth round picks is that they're actually not expected to be immediate starters. That's usually why they're fourth round picks. 

• Upvote 3