Why the Jets will trade CJ Mosley in the coming days

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2021/03/15/ny-jets-c-j-mosley-trade-wont-easy-but-could-happen/4709105001/

Were going to have a 30 year old 3-4 LB in a 4-3 system that we're going to get stuck paying 17.5m next year if he is not traded. Combine that with a small cap hit of 6m this year for the team trading him and he's somewhat attractive.

For 17m we could land any FA we want. The Jets already leaked teams have called about him. Look for this to happen even if it's for a 5th or 6th rounder. 

They are trading him tonight!  Set it up so that it wont be official till June 1st so the hit will be spread across 2 years.

3 hours ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Hard to Understand the hate for this man ,, injury and an opt out , true his contract sucks , but he plays like he did in that game in Buffalo hes still an All-Pro LB . Now if Saleh cant use cool , trade him , but i just cant see how Saleh couldnt use him . 

It was the style of the opt out, taking a big payout and then opting out from Covid while being seen at clubs without a mask is, frankly, disrespectful.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Well it's $17.5 million. That's not reasonable

I think were pretty much on the hook for that either way.  We did guarantee him 43 million on signing.  I guess we can trade him and pay his salary.  Not sure that gets us out of the cap hit?  

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I think were pretty much on the hook for that either way.  We did guarantee him 43 million on signing.  I guess we can trade him and pay his salary.  Not sure that gets us out of the cap hit?  

It's $6M in dead money, total, with a $1.5M cap savings this year. The team that trades for him eats the guaranteed salaries, all the Jets would have left is the pro-rated signing bonus. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

It's $6M in dead money, total, with a $1.5M cap savings this year. The team that trades for him eats the guaranteed salaries, all the Jets would have left is the pro-rated signing bonus. 

Assuming nobody is taking his 16 million salary next year.  If we have to pay 11 million of it is it on us or the team that trades for him?

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Assuming nobody is taking his 16 million salary next year.  If we have to pay 11 million of it is it on us or the team that trades for him?

I'm not going to pretend to know how that that would work. I'm not sure the Jets could pay next year's salary. I don't know if there's a mechanism for that. They could pay this year's $6M, I guess, and that would go against the Jets cap. 

I think if they just want to be rid of him, they'll take a late pick just to get him off the books. 

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2021/03/15/ny-jets-c-j-mosley-trade-wont-easy-but-could-happen/4709105001/

Were going to have a 30 year old 3-4 LB in a 4-3 system that we're going to get stuck paying 17.5m next year if he is not traded. Combine that with a small cap hit of 6m this year for the team trading him and he's somewhat attractive.

For 17m we could land any FA we want. The Jets already leaked teams have called about him. Look for this to happen even if it's for a 5th or 6th rounder. 

I dont think there is any easy way out of this expensive blunder by Mr. Coffee.  They have to take the pain

Just now, slats said:

I'm not going to pretend to know how that that would work. I'm not sure the Jets could pay next year's salary. I don't know if there's a mechanism for that. They could pay this year's $6M, I guess, and that would go against the Jets cap. 

I think if they just want to be rid of him, they'll take a late pick just to get him off the books. 

I don't know either.  He had 43 million guaranteed at signing.  Next years salary is 16 million.  Pretty sure that's part of the guarantee.  I can't see anyone trading for him with a 16 million dollar salary without us taking a big chunk of it.  

Right now we show a dead cap of 27.85 this year and 20.5 next year.   This years is 7.5 million, 6 in salary and 1.5 in signing bonus.  Next year is 16 million in salary and 1.5 in bonus.

I just can't see anyone giving us anything with that guaranteed next year unless were picking up most of it.  

34 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Only $8 million in 2022 is guaranteed. That's the only guarantee remaining on his contract

I think if there's going to be a trade involving Mosely.  That it might have a chance to work if Jets take on and absorb the contract of a player they want.  And therefore the other team would be absorbing Mosely's contract and subtracting a substantial salaried player of their own.   Therefore making it a much smaller amount of a hit to their CAP. 

I don't know if there's a specific player Jets would want that fits that situation.  Otherwise it would be very difficult for most teams who may want Mosely to go after him.  A trade of this magnitude may also probably also involve picks too.  

IMO Mosely, Herndon and Crowder won't be on the 2022 season's roster.  Maye also may not be on it.  Looks like JD wants to replace them with his guys.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I don't know either.  He had 43 million guaranteed at signing.  Next years salary is 16 million.  Pretty sure that's part of the guarantee.  I can't see anyone trading for him with a 16 million dollar salary without us taking a big chunk of it.  

Right now we show a dead cap of 27.85 this year and 20.5 next year.   This years is 7.5 million, 6 in salary and 1.5 in signing bonus.  Next year is 16 million in salary and 1.5 in bonus.

I just can't see anyone giving us anything with that guaranteed next year unless were picking up most of it.  

He should still be a very good football player. I think if the Jets are in a position that they can’t move him without eating a huge portion of that guarantee that they may as well keep and play him this year. The main reason the Jets would move him would be to get him off the books, and I think they might be willing to do that for a late pick. Now, if someone was willing to give a higher pick in exchange for eating a larger portion of that salary, the Jets could convert some or all of it into a signing bonus, thereby keeping it on their cap. Some middle ground could probably be worked out there if they just want him off the team (and I don’t know that that’s the case). 

I think its actually really funny that there are people here that seriously think the Jets would not trade Mosely. 

They Literally already leaked theres been offers for him on the first days of FA. AKA - That means they are hoping someone makes an offer for him. He is a 3-4 guy in a 4-3 scheme approaching 30. Easiest thing to see (Along with Ertz getting moved this weekend). 

If anyone is dumb enough to take on that contract next year and give us a pick - CJ is getting moved in the next 48 hrs. 

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

So great opportunity to plug a fantastic resources - overthecap.com

Here's your answer from the list of team cap space.  We are 2nd in the league still with roughly $25M available.  JAX has $39M and six other teams have over $20M.  And that's not counting any restructurings, which many teams have abused to the point that they really can't do any more.

So if a FA becomes available, we can absolutely be in the hunt.  Yes, rolling over is nice but we have the 5th highest cap space next year already as well so it's not really imperative.  

Short answer: We do NOT need to trade Mosely or anyone else for cap space as things stand right now.

Dont understand why a lot of our fans want to win the salary cap standings every season. No need to hoard $20M every year. There are ways to maneuver around the cap- every other team does it

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

No reason to think he's not still one of the best LBs...  why trade him?

Money.

Our GM knows how a roster is supposed to be constructed and where you spend money. You don't make him your highest paid guy, its bad business. Sure you want a guy like him as a rookie maybe even pay him, but not that kind of money. 

I sure would like to get him play on the field but no one credible would think his contract is where we should be spending our money. 

But I rather eat the money and have him play than get some 5th rounder.

Ideally we could trader him for a 1st next year. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

I don't see any team giving us anything worthwhile for Mosley. 

The best case scenario for Mosley is that he comes back strong this year and reclaims his former glory from the first quarter of opening day 2019. 

I agree, I think that is most likely. Joe is not going to take a bad deal just to unload him. He isnt MAC. If he plays great, we restructure, trade, etc. Plus he is worth more. 

If he plays bad we do same but for lower price.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

No reason to think he's not still one of the best LBs...  why trade him?

There's plenty of reasons. He missed the entire 2019 season with a serious groin injury that was not 100% before the 2020 season. Before he opted out last year there were questions about him being ready for the season bc of the lingering groin issue. Then he opted out. I think a lot of that decision was made so he could get 100% healthy from the groin injury.  So there are plenty of reasons to believe he'll come back a step slower and its not just bc of the time missed. 

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I don't see any team giving us anything worthwhile for Mosley. 

The best case scenario for Mosley is that he comes back strong this year and reclaims his former glory from the first quarter of opening day 2019. 

Worst case scenario he doesn't then the Jets have to eat an additional $8 million in cap space in 2022 that they could've saved by moving him for a bag of chips

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

Next year the cap is going up by a bazillion dollars.   8 million for a rotational player when you have a QB on a rookie deal is reasonable.  

The salary isn’t the only issue.  Mosely doesn’t fit the scheme and may end up being a liability 

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

New offense, new defense, new coaches. Where does CJ Mosley fit? Can they move him to Edge? 

this is the root of the issue they are trying to run a 4-3 wide 9 and that is very different than a 3-4 team using a 4-3 look. 

CJ mosely has always only done one thing 

his contract is the only reason he's still on the team because he doesn't fit this system at all 

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

What are you talking about?  The majority of teams don't spend to the cap every year.  I showed you this with data from OTC many months ago.  You totally ignored.  And here we go again.  You're denial of blatant facts almost makes this like a political argument.  Done. Back to the orig.  topic anyway.  Go Jets.

the majority of teams dont make the playoffs every year

the majority of teams are mediocre or bad

I don't see how proving the Jets are like Jacksonville proves they are trying to win.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

The $150,000 "big payout" that has to be re-paid?

His roster bonus of $10,000,000 , he collected, that was Lion share of his 2019 money, he figured he’d take a redshirt year rather than risk injury for the rest of his paycheck.

The math said, $10,000,000 to stay home is a good deal

If the guy was truly concerned for his health and family that’s one thing but seen clubbing without a mask tells you everything you need to know.