Can we stay healthy this season?

I think something that gets lost in all the hatred of Adam Gase, and all the other issues from the last two seasons is the health of the team. The Jets, the last two seasons have been gutted by injuries. Two seasons ago our linebackers got so banged up that we were playing guys signed off the street. Last year, we damn near lost all of our WR's at one point. It's foolish to think the Jets will be even mildly successful if we get as banged up as we have the last two years. JD has applied a nutrition program and conditioning to combat the level of injuries. However, that did not seem to stem the tide at least last season. I'm hoping this season with a lot of new faces they'll be less injury prone? 

• Upvote 1

Jets Announce 5 Hires to Athletic Care and Performance Department

Highly Decorated Dr. Brad DeWeese to Lead Department

Mar 11, 2021 at 05:16 PM

E_c11i9699-allen-headshot

Eric Allen

Senior Reporter

•  
  •  
  •  

E_SZR53977-2020-cuts-1

The Jets have established a new Athletic Care and Performance Department that will include the team's athletic trainers, strength & conditioning and nutrition staffs in addition to a rehab department. Highly decorated Dr. Brad DeWeese, who was named director of high performance, will oversee the operation that also added Mike Nicolini, head strength & conditioning coach; Dr. Matt Sams, director of sports science; Dr. Robert Sausaman, assistant director of high performance; and Dr. Omar Ahmad, assistant strength & conditioning coach. The charge of the newly created department is to align the club's athletic performance staffs to better position players for success.

"After a thorough review of our sports performance areas, it became clear that in order to maximize our player's health, safety and effectiveness on the field, we needed to establish a centralized group that would better position our team for success," GM Joe Douglas said. "During our search for the right person to lead this group Dr. Brad DeWeese impressed us, not only with his proven track-record, but also with his vision, insight, and strategic approach to maximize athletic care and performance. His focus on speed and power is exactly what we believe we need to help develop and enable Jets players to reach their peak level. We are excited to add this new dimension to our organization and bring Dr. DeWeese and his staff into the fold and know the players will find this group to be a tremendous asset to them."

"We believe in a roundtable approach, everybody has a seat at the table, everybody's equal and there's no walls that divide us," Dr. DeWeese said. "We may come into a room and have respectful dialogue, but we'll come to a decision that we all support. It is important to invest in resources and technology where you can remove your opinion and you can look at the information, what it's telling us and what do you think it means, what should it add. And we can move forward with a discussion with everyone on equal footing in a performance model. You remove defense mechanisms empower everybody and it drives innovation. I want to let everyone know that they matter."

Dr. DeWeese most recently served as the assistant athletic director for sports performance at East Tennessee State where he also worked as a tenured associate professor. Before joining ETSU, Dr, DeWeese was the head of sports physiology for the United States Olympic Committee's Winter Division based in Lake Placid, NY, where he helped athletes to seven world championship titles in three different sports, 21 Olympic and world championship medals and 100-plus medals in World Cup and Pan-American competitions. Dr, DeWeese, who earned bachelor's and master's degrees from Western Carolina and a doctorate from North Carolina State, has written a number of articles on speed development, programming tactics, and optimal training methods leading to elite performance.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I think something that gets lost in all the hatred of Adam Gase, and all the other issues from the last two seasons is the health of the team. The Jets, the last two seasons have been gutted by injuries. Two seasons ago our linebackers got so banged up that we were playing guys signed off the street. Last year, we damn near lost all of our WR's at one point. It's foolish to think the Jets will be even mildly successful if we get as banged up as we have the last two years. JD has applied a nutrition program and conditioning to combat the level of injuries. However, that did not seem to stem the tide at least last season. I'm hoping this season with a lot of new faces they'll be less injury prone? 

Well, I know CJ won't get hurt this year while setting on his a$$ at home.

• Haha 2

Big question mark especially with 2 guys: Wilson & Becton.

Both are high first round picks that don't have the ideal frame for their respective positions. A thin framed QB and an oversized Tackle.

I love JD, his draft strategy, and what he's done so far. But if these 2 guys can't stay healthy, JD needs to be held accountable.

• WTF? 2

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Eric Allen

Senior Reporter

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

E_SZR53977-2020-cuts-1

The Jets have established a new Athletic Care and Performance Department that will include the team's athletic trainers, strength & conditioning and nutrition staffs in addition to a rehab department. Highly decorated Dr. Brad DeWeese, who was named director of high performance, will oversee the operation that also added Mike Nicolini, head strength & conditioning coach; Dr. Matt Sams, director of sports science; Dr. Robert Sausaman, assistant director of high performance; and Dr. Omar Ahmad, assistant strength & conditioning coach. The charge of the newly created department is to align the club's athletic performance staffs to better position players for success.

"After a thorough review of our sports performance areas, it became clear that in order to maximize our player's health, safety and effectiveness on the field, we needed to establish a centralized group that would better position our team for success," GM Joe Douglas said. "During our search for the right person to lead this group Dr. Brad DeWeese impressed us, not only with his proven track-record, but also with his vision, insight, and strategic approach to maximize athletic care and performance. His focus on speed and power is exactly what we believe we need to help develop and enable Jets players to reach their peak level. We are excited to add this new dimension to our organization and bring Dr. DeWeese and his staff into the fold and know the players will find this group to be a tremendous asset to them."

"We believe in a roundtable approach, everybody has a seat at the table, everybody's equal and there's no walls that divide us," Dr. DeWeese said. "We may come into a room and have respectful dialogue, but we'll come to a decision that we all support. It is important to invest in resources and technology where you can remove your opinion and you can look at the information, what it's telling us and what do you think it means, what should it add. And we can move forward with a discussion with everyone on equal footing in a performance model. You remove defense mechanisms empower everybody and it drives innovation. I want to let everyone know that they matter."

Dr. DeWeese most recently served as the assistant athletic director for sports performance at East Tennessee State where he also worked as a tenured associate professor. Before joining ETSU, Dr, DeWeese was the head of sports physiology for the United States Olympic Committee's Winter Division based in Lake Placid, NY, where he helped athletes to seven world championship titles in three different sports, 21 Olympic and world championship medals and 100-plus medals in World Cup and Pan-American competitions. Dr, DeWeese, who earned bachelor's and master's degrees from Western Carolina and a doctorate from North Carolina State, has written a number of articles on speed development, programming tactics, and optimal training methods leading to elite performance.

This was maybe our best move of the entire offseason.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Both are high first round picks that don't have the ideal frame for their respective positions. A thin framed QB and an oversized Tackle.

I love JD, his draft strategy, and what he's done so far. But if these 2 guys can't stay healthy, JD needs to be held accountable.

That's actually a good point. Thanks for bringing it up. Sometimes IMO players reach the point where their frames are either too large or too small to play professional football? Kris Jenkins to me is a prime example of a tremendously big man to the point where he's injury prone because his weight is simply too big for his joints to support? Robbie Anderson, although he never really had any significant injuries, was too small? He NEEDED to put on more muscle to avoid injury.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

No there will be injuries that is why to better build depth (and why douglas should have drafted another olineman this year)

Well, that's certainly a way to combat the problem but it does not ultimately fight the injury wave. Like I said, two year ago we were hiring guys off the street because our linebackers had been completely gutted. Depth does not prevent the problem. It's silly to think otherwise...

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Can we stay healthy this season?

"We" as in the Jets, or we the fans?  If you mean the fans are you talking physically or mentally healthy?

Actually, those questions don't even matter.  The answer is probably no for all of us. lol

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

"We" as in the Jets, or we the fans?  If you mean the fans are you talking physically or mentally healthy?

Actually, those questions don't even matter.  The answer is probably no for all of us. lol

I injured my canthus reading this

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Well, that's certainly a way to combat the problem but it does not ultimately fight the injury wave. Like I said, two year ago we were hiring guys off the street because our linebackers had been completely gutted. Depth does not prevent the problem. It's silly to think otherwise...

If you look at AG tenure as a HC, his team was always the most injured.  I am not sure why, but its a fact.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, flgreen said:

Eric Allen

Senior Reporter

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

E_SZR53977-2020-cuts-1

This was one of the most important offseason moves, as I think Douglass saw our injuries as excessive and avoidable - so he overhauled the whole staff. I'm not expecting the same level of non-game pulls and sprains due to a better, more disciplined regimen.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Wilson played all last year without an injury and Becton didn't miss that much time due to injury. Maybe now that he is playing next to a real LG and not one of the street like Lewis it will allow him to not have to do too much resulting in him getting hurt since he had to pick up the slack so much for playing next to such a weak G.

20 hours ago, SOJ said:

If you look at AG tenure as a HC, his team was always the most injured.  I am not sure why, but its a fact.  

In addition to likely poor leadership and organization of the S&C program, my guess is that much of the reason Gase had so many injuries was the players not wanting to play for him-either generally or not wanting to play hurt.  My guess is that after a couple of weeks, any NFL player could claim that something is injured.  

With a younger team with better medical/training/strength/coaching and players who actually will want to play for the coaches, I am expecting both far fewer injures and a productive season from Mosley and Jarrad Davis.

I am also expecting underwhelming OL play for different reasons (lack of talent on the right side, for one).  

On 5/14/2021 at 6:18 PM, NYJ1 said:

Would you play hurt for Adam Gase in a lost season? A lot of those DNPs would be gutting it out if the team was in contention.