Frank Gore waiting for 'right situation' before considering retirement

https://www.nfl.com/news/frank-gore-waiting-for-right-situation-before-considering-retirement

Published: Jun 03, 2021 at 06:03 PM

Headshot_Author_Nick-shook_1400x1000

Nick Shook

Around The NFL Writer

At 38 years old, it would be totally unsurprising if Frank Gore called it quits. He's just not ready to do that yet.

Gore is again a man without a team entering the 2021 season, and after gaining 653 yards on 187 attempts and scoring two rushing touchdowns in 2020, the free agent is preparing as if he'll play somewhere this fall.

"I know that I can still play the game, I know I can help a team," Gore told KNBR on Thursday. "But it's also got to be the right situation that I feel that I can be on a team that could go to the playoffs and get a chance to probably go to the Super Bowl. I know that I can still play the game of football, but I also want to be in the right situation on the right team."

Gore's experience from his one-year stint with the traveling nightmare that was the 2020 Jets is clearly still fresh in his mind, and as he approaches 40 years old, the last thing he wants to do is land with another cellar-dweller. The Bay Area locals asked Gore if he'd instead like to make a homecoming to the 49ers, and he saw the writing on their depth chart: They have younger backs to get reps.

Gore did add, though, that he'd be ready if the 49ers or anyone else called. In fact, he's already received some calls, but he's waiting it out before making his decision. And if none of the available options are suitable for Gore, he might just walk away.

"I talked to a couple teams, but my agent told me not to put any teams' names out there. I kind of want to wait to training camp," Gore said. "I want to feel that. I want to wait to see if it's the right situation for me. … If a team calls and I feel like it's right, I'ma do it. But if I don't like the situation, I'll say forget it and I'll retire. ... If I don't feel like it's the right situation, I'll retire."

As it stands, Gore is at exactly 16,000 career rushing yards, still 2,355 yards from all-time leader Emmitt Smith, and 726 from the late Walter Payton. He'd need a season or two to pass Payton, and it's likely he'll never come close to Smith.

Still, 16,000 is a very cool, round number to retire on. It sounds, though, as if Gore is not quite ready to do that yet.

I have a lot of respect for him. Don't think it's about the money. He justs love the game. Like a fighter who doesn't know when to hang up the gloves. Don't blame him because that moron used him as a featured back. Look at his career . Hardly missed any games over a 10 yr+ stretch.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

@Mods. 

can we please move this thread to the Other Sports section?

because Frank Gore is no longer a Jet. He brings us fans bad Gase memories. 

In all seriousness. @SAR I continued to defend Adam Gase against fans such as myself last year. While I was screaming to see more of Perine and Ty Johnson?!? SAR L kept on telling me that "Frank Gore was our best running back". Funny. Because my two boys Perine and Johnson are still on our Jets... But... Frank Gore can't even find a team anymore!

To force feed us Jet fans a washed up dinosaur 40+ years old? Instead of playing young talent? Is only one idiotic reason why Adam Gase was FIRED. 

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

@Mods. 

can we please move this thread to the Other Sports section?

because Frank Gore is no longer a Jet. He brings us fans bad Gase memories. 

In all seriousness. @SAR I continued to defend Adam Gase against fans such as myself last year. While I was screaming to see more of Perine and Ty Johnson?!? SAR L kept on telling me that "Frank Gore was our best running back". Funny. Because my two boys Perine and Johnson are still on our Jets... But... Frank Gore can't even find a team anymore!

To force feed us Jet fans a washed up dinosaur 40+ years old? Instead of playing young talent? Is only one idiotic reason why Adam Gase was FIRED. 

SAR l’s posts are low hanging fruits bro. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

TRANSLATION:  Someone offering more than the 5th spot at RB

Rarely do teams roster 5 RBs.  And if you can’t contribute on special teams, you had better be one of the top 3 RBs on the depth chart or you’re gone.

Its debatable whether Gore is one of the top 96 RBs in the game, I suppose.  Gore is finally in that stage of his career where he’s a “If you need 2 yards, I can get you 3; if you need 5 yards I can get you 3” kind of guy.  Nearly all reach that stage well before they turn 38, so that’s impressive in itself. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Rarely do teams roster 5 RBs.  And if you can’t contribute on special teams, you had better be one of the top 3 RBs on the depth chart or you’re gone.

Its debatable whether Gore is one of the top 96 RBs in the game, I suppose.  Gore is finally in that stage of his career where he’s a “If you need 2 yards, I can get you 3; if you need 5 yards I can get you 3” kind of guy.  Nearly all reach that stage well before they turn 38, so that’s impressive in itself. 

They roster 5 RBs at this time of the year.  A camp body.  

I was making a subtle joke.  Perhaps a little too subtle.  ?

• Haha 1

On 6/3/2021 at 7:44 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/frank-gore-waiting-for-right-situation-before-considering-retirement

Published: Jun 03, 2021 at 06:03 PM

Headshot_Author_Nick-shook_1400x1000

Nick Shook

Around The NFL Writer

At 38 years old, it would be totally unsurprising if Frank Gore called it quits. He's just not ready to do that yet.

Gore is again a man without a team entering the 2021 season, and after gaining 653 yards on 187 attempts and scoring two rushing touchdowns in 2020, the free agent is preparing as if he'll play somewhere this fall.

"I know that I can still play the game, I know I can help a team," Gore told KNBR on Thursday. "But it's also got to be the right situation that I feel that I can be on a team that could go to the playoffs and get a chance to probably go to the Super Bowl. I know that I can still play the game of football, but I also want to be in the right situation on the right team."

Gore's experience from his one-year stint with the traveling nightmare that was the 2020 Jets is clearly still fresh in his mind, and as he approaches 40 years old, the last thing he wants to do is land with another cellar-dweller. The Bay Area locals asked Gore if he'd instead like to make a homecoming to the 49ers, and he saw the writing on their depth chart: They have younger backs to get reps.

Gore did add, though, that he'd be ready if the 49ers or anyone else called. In fact, he's already received some calls, but he's waiting it out before making his decision. And if none of the available options are suitable for Gore, he might just walk away.

"I talked to a couple teams, but my agent told me not to put any teams' names out there. I kind of want to wait to training camp," Gore said. "I want to feel that. I want to wait to see if it's the right situation for me. … If a team calls and I feel like it's right, I'ma do it. But if I don't like the situation, I'll say forget it and I'll retire. ... If I don't feel like it's the right situation, I'll retire."

As it stands, Gore is at exactly 16,000 career rushing yards, still 2,355 yards from all-time leader Emmitt Smith, and 726 from the late Walter Payton. He'd need a season or two to pass Payton, and it's likely he'll never come close to Smith.

Still, 16,000 is a very cool, round number to retire on. It sounds, though, as if Gore is not quite ready to do that yet.

Parents Dancing GIF

• Haha 1