NY Jets are 1 of NFL's 5 most improved teams, report says

Jets are 1 of NFL’s 5 most improved teams, report says

New York Jets OTA practice, June 2, 2021

By Mike Rosenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The good news? Pro Football Focus considers the New York Jets one of the five most improved NFL teams this year, checking at No. 3.

The bad news? The Jets still trail the New England Patriots,who are ranked No. 2 by PFF.

The most obvious improvement for the Jets? Selecting quarterback Zach Wilson with the No. 2 pick overall in the 2021 NFL Draft. But that’s not the only reason PFF is high on the Jets. Per YardBarker:

“Corey Davis was added as a receiving target in free agency, fresh off the back of a breakout season in Tennessee, in which he went top five in yards per route run. ... (The Jets) may have also just signed the best edge rusher they’ve had on the roster since John Abraham. Carl Lawson (is) slotted to fit into (head coach) Robert Saleh’s more aggressive defensive front four after notching 64 total pressures last year.”

The 2020 season saw the Patriots’ streak of 11 straight AFC East division titles come to an end. The Patriots were dethroned by the Buffalo Bills, who went 13-3. The Miami Dolphins finished second (10-6), followed by the Patriots (7-9) and Jets (2-14).

Here is PFF’s list of the top five most improved teams:

1. Cleveland Browns

2. New England Patriots

3. New York Jets

4. Jacksonville Jaguars

5. Washington Football Team

• Upvote 1

Funny because just a few weeks ago, they published a top-6 that included: CHI, CIN, CLE, LAC, NYG, NYJ

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-most-improved-teams-free-agency-2021-nfl-draft

Now, with nearly nothing happening since, they shift to CLE, NEP, NYJ, JAX, WFT.

Want to know who's missing from both lists?  KC.

Yes, it's hard to say the team that lost the SB is most improved, but adding three starting OL (Thuney, Brown, Humphrey) to the only weakness on that team will probably guarantee them another SB berth and probably another trophy.  It's that big a deal.  And if you're going to include teams with winning records last season, then going from #2 to #1 is the biggest leap of all.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Funny because just a few weeks ago, they published a top-6 that included: CHI, CIN, CLE, LAC, NYG, NYJ

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-most-improved-teams-free-agency-2021-nfl-draft

Now, with nearly nothing happening since, they shift to CLE, NEP, NYJ, JAX, WFT.

Want to know who's missing from both lists?  KC.

Yes, it's hard to say the team that lost the SB is most improved, but adding three starting OL (Thuney, Brown, Humphrey) to the only weakness on that team will probably guarantee them another SB berth and probably another trophy.  It's that big a deal.  And if you're going to include teams with winning records last season, then going from #2 to #1 is the biggest leap of all.

What a huge confirmation of the concept of building those trenches. Kansas City's o-line got pushed around all game. Brady had all day. This article is nice but fails to mention the two big swings at o-line in Vera-Tucker and Moses. That's where our bread and butter is going to be this season. Get ready for ground n' pound boys, 'cause its back in NY. Saleh told Zach that we're going to lift him up rather than the other way around. I think this is going to be a run-heavy offense that really takes the load off the QB and doesn't pull a bunch of a-gap nonsense play after play. Moses might not be athletic enough to really stretch him out there, but Fant's background includes TE. We have all noted the weakness at that position. Wonder if Fant might be pulling that duty more often than one might think. 

• Upvote 3

First, the negative.  How could the Jets not be improved?  With their roster from last year, you could pick guys off the IRT or A train who would improve the roster.  I realized many past Jets GMs could have maintained the status quo, but JD and Saleh sure look like a whole different Jets management team.

I thought JD chose his FAs pretty well.  He seemed focused on culture and locker room as well athletic ability.  But JD says build through the draft and this year's class seems like a homerun.  I am super high on AVT.

As for the Pats, I take their rating with a grain of salt.  I doubt the whole is equal to the sum of the parts.  You have to remember that each FA was let go by their former team.  There's often a reason.  Bringing in a whole slew of FAs can be risky.  It also smacks of BB's last stand.  Throw a lot of money at the problem cause I'm gonna retire next year anyway.  So we'll see.

13 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I think this determination is best made after the season and not before.  It is meaningless and speculative to rank most improved teams before the games are played. What is the ranking and list based on other than opinion?  

Aren't a lot of sports related articles based on speculation and opinion. 

A million mock drafts,a million predictions on who will win the Super Bowl each year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I think this determination is best made after the season and not before.  It is meaningless and speculative to rank most improved teams before the games are played. What is the ranking and list based on other than opinion?  

I also like to place my bets after the games are finished 

• Haha 2

On 7/2/2021 at 9:39 AM, joewilly12 said:

2. New England Patriots

On 7/2/2021 at 12:46 PM, Spoot-Face said:

Throw Up Season 2 GIF by The Office

Ugh.  Unfortunately pretty true.  Their additions (Trent Brown, Matt Judon, Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry, Kyle Van Noy, Mac Jones, etc) this offseason are only part of it, really.  The big "improvement" is getting people back who were hurt/ill last season + Dont'a Hightower, who opted out; they were hit harder on those 2 fronts than basically any other NFL team.

Just look at the carnage report last season among their expected 2021 starters/key players:

• LT Isaiah Wynn (missed 6 games in 2020)
  • C David Andrews (missed 4 games)
  • RG Shaq Mason (missed 3 games)
  • RB Damien Harris (missed 6 games)
  • RB Sony Michel (missed 7 games)
  • DE Lawrence Guy (missed 2 games)
  • DT Byron Cowart (missed 2 games)
  • ILB Ja'Whaun Bentley (missed 3 games)
  • ILB Dont'a Hightower (missed full season - opted out)
  • OLB Anfernee Jennings (missed 2 games)
  • LB Josh Uche (missed 7 games)
  • CB Stephon Gilmore (missed 5 games)

It would be hard to imagine them being that unlucky next season.  The Pats had the league's # 1 defense in points allowed in 2019, so I expect the D to be elite again next year.  That will carry them.  Offense....we'll see.  Cam is toast so it comes down to Mac Jones.  

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ugh.  Unfortunately pretty true.  Their additions (Trent Brown, Matt Judon, Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry, Kyle Van Noy, Mac Jones, etc) this offseason are only part of it, really.  The big "improvement" is getting people back who were hurt/ill last season + Dont'a Hightower, who opted out; they were hit harder on those 2 fronts than basically any other NFL team.

Just look at the carnage report last season among their expected 2021 starters/key players:

• LT Isaiah Wynn (missed 6 games in 2020)
  • C David Andrews (missed 4 games)
  • RG Shaq Mason (missed 3 games)
  • RB Damien Harris (missed 6 games)
  • RB Sony Michel (missed 7 games)
  • DE Lawrence Guy (missed 2 games)
  • DT Byron Cowart (missed 2 games)
  • ILB Ja'Whaun Bentley (missed 3 games)
  • ILB Dont'a Hightower (missed full season - opted out)
  • OLB Anfernee Jennings (missed 2 games)
  • LB Josh Uche (missed 7 games)
  • CB Stephon Gilmore (missed 5 games)

It would be hard to imagine them being that unlucky next season.  The Pats had the league's # 1 defense in points allowed in 2019, so I expect the D to be elite again next year.  That will carry them.  Offense....we'll see.  Cam is toast so it comes down to Mac Jones.  

sick puke GIF

• Haha 1