Report: Trevor Lawrence, Jaguars Still In ‘Standoff’ Over Rookie Contract

This is a silly hill to die on for the teams. Yes its protection to a degree but with so many QBs taken high every year there must be an established boiler plate by now

its possible the agents are being dicks because the money is more or less set and they want something to flex with future players but damn

• Upvote 3

From the article: “Yates notes that there’s a similar situation playing out with New York Jets’ No. 2 pick Zach Wilson. Both should resolve themselves, but it may be ‘closer to training camp,’ which opens later this month.”
This is normal. It’s a matter of how hardass the teams want to be vs. their willingness to let their rookie starting QBs sit out any of training camp. It doesn’t hurt anyone to dig in at this time as long as they’re able to be flexible when push comes to shove. If the Jets and Jags believe that these guys are their FQBs, they should just dump the offset language, imho. They’ll talk about about setting bad precedents, but that really shouldn’t be an issue with the first or second pick in the draft that you’re hoping/expecting these QBs to keep you from drafting again during their careers. 

They tried the same thing with Darnold but caved.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, undertow said:

People have a hard on for Urban Myer for whatever reason so any opportunity to trash the Jags will be taken.

To be fair Urban Mayer didn’t understand how nfl free agency worked, just got fined $100k by the nfl because he didn’t know how OTAs worked, and signed a 33 year old Tom Tebow to play TE.  It’s not hard to find reasons to trash him.  All this of course doesn’t mean he won’t be successful, but it does seem he’s surrounded himself with yes men to the point no one is even bringing up basic rules to the guy,. They got fined  for contact during OTAs.  No coach knew that?  I even knew that and I don’t know much about OTA rules.

3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

They tried the same thing with Darnold but caved.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

As I recall Jimmy Sexton caved.  I remember thinking, if Darnold turns out good, Sexton will torture them next contract.

With the money set this is something agents do hoping their clients don't realize they are stealing money from them on a CBA set contract.

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yes let us focus on the true characters of this story. We have our heel, the 21-year-old quarterback; and our hero, :checks notes:....the owner of All Elite Wrestling. 

Yes I heard they are casting Vinnie Jones as Trevor Lawrence for the Netflix film. 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

But, here's the thing - Everyone here is overpaid and makes plenty of money. That's not the issue. 

The bottom line is that the money either goes to the owners (billionaires) or players (millionaires). Us fans pay more each and every year, regardless. In that case, I'd rather more money go to the players - who happen to also be the talent/attraction. 

I’d rather both get less and it cost the fans less

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

15 hours ago, jgb said:

Et tu bruté?

Both gonna get the boot… not for drafting Trubisky but for letting him go…

Eh.  I think Trubisky will have a fine, long career in this league.  But even if/when he does, I'll still be saying that hitting the reset button and drafting Fields was the right move for the Bears at the time.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Eh.  I think Trubisky will have a fine, long career in this league.  But even if/when he does, I'll still be saying that hitting the reset button and drafting Fields was the right move for the Bears at the time.

Being a little flippant. I do think they’ll have criticism for not developing him, though. In fact, they already have been criticized for not building on his strong 2018.  Not a Darnold situation where he has never showed anything.

• Upvote 1