Who ends up starting at OLB spots?

AFJF

Pretty unsettled position at this point.  Figure Davis SHOULD win one of the OLB jobs but does he?  Who do you think starts the majority of the time for Saleh on either side of Mosley?

Hoping it's Davis and Nasirildeen with Cashman having a shot if he can stay on the field.

• Upvote 1

As an FSU fan I guarantee 100% it's a lock.

Hamsah Nasirildeen.

• He's going to make an All-Rookie team.

• 2nd year he'll make his first Pro Bowl.

• 3rd or 4th year he'll become an All-Pro. 

I wanted this kid months before heading into the draft because he's not only one of my top 10 favorite FSU DB's of All-Time but he's also the toughest and the most physical FSU DB I've ever experienced and like Jamal Adams you're able to line him up all over the football field. And speaking of Jamal, Hamsah Nasirildeen was way more of a physical freak of a TACKLING MACHINE than Jamal Adams was as a tackling machine @ LSU.

Nasirildeen is going to capture the hearts of Jets fans as a rookie and from there he's going to develop into an NFL 6th round Legend. 

He's not going to let us down I promise you Jets fans he's not going to let himself down because he was a guaranteed 1st round meal ticket before the ACL injury. I've watched every single one of his games on Saturdays and haven't missed an FSU game since 1998-1999. The ACL injury took 0% away from his physical abilities because he came back for our final two games and after shaking off rust during his 1st game back he absolutely FEASTED with 9 tackles, 1 tackle for loss and an INT and actually won a freaking game again to close out the season vs Duke. I told my daughter he's BACK and went apesh*t crazy during his INT return. The only thing his ACL did was humble him and make him more focused moving forward; he's not going to disappoint.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

I heard Sheldon Rankins talking the other day in an interview about and mentioned players showing a lot of promise that he did not know before.  The names that came up were John Franklin Myers and Bryce Huff.  While Myers will be at one of the end spots, it will be interesting to see about Huff.

Im also intrigued to see how Zuniga progresses in this system.  DWC has me fired up about Nasirildeen though.  Nice write up.

• Upvote 1

I think Cashman is a great fit for Saleh’s defense and will get a chance to play early. He’ll then get injured after 3 promising plays.  He’ll be mostly replaced by Nasirildeen who is overrated by Jets fans but has a chance to be pretty good. 

Davis and Mosley will get the most snaps on the team at LB and might play every down. The third spot will alternate between Cashman/ Nasirildeen and MC2/ Guidry/ Ashtyn Davis. 

WLB: Cashman, Nasirildeen, Sherwood
MLB: Mosley, Cashman, Sherwood 

SLB: Davis, Huff, Sherwood 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

I think Cashman is a great fit for Saleh’s defense and will get a chance to play early. He’ll then get injured after 3 promising plays.  He’ll be mostly replaced by Nasirildeen who is overrated by Jets fans but has a chance to be pretty good. 

Davis and Mosley will get the most snaps on the team at LB and might play every down. The third spot will alternate between Cashman/ Nasirildeen and MC2/ Guidry/ Ashtyn Davis. 

Yeah,  I think is spot on.  I dont see Davis or Mosley coming off the field very often.  If you look at the how Saleh ran the D in San Fran, the weak side was often a positionless player, which I think definitely gives Sherwood and Ham Nas every chance in the world to get snaps but I do think ultimately, Cashman wins that job but I could also see the position get tons of different rotations depending on situation.  They have like 6 DB/S/LB type hybrid guys on this team now too.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I think Sherwood is going to surprise people. That may be an unpopular opinion but the dude is smart and can fly sideline to sideline. From what I’ve seen, Hamsah is a better athlete and is punishing but Sherwood is very instinctive. Either Saleh or Ulbrich said in their interview that Sherwood was taking command as a leader in minicamp as well. Both these guys have to adjust but I think they can end up being the guys who take care of Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry due to their style of play. With that being said I think Mosely and  Davis will start. Cashman could be exciting if he wasn’t make of glass and paper...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

I heard Sheldon Rankins talking the other day in an interview about and mentioned players showing a lot of promise that he did not know before.  The names that came up were John Franklin Myers and Bryce Huff.  While Myers will be at one of the end spots, it will be interesting to see about Huff.

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/jets-bryce-huff-motivated-by-past/

Check out this bull-rush againstMiami. Pushes 2 player into Qb!
https://twitter.com/Michael_Nania/status/1361859262495002625?s=20

Looking for Huff to have a breakout year! Bleacher report designated Huff as the Jets player most likely to have a breakout season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2937227-predicting-every-nfl-teams-2021-breakout-player

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

As an FSU fan I guarantee 100% it's a lock.

Hamsah Nasirildeen.

• He's going to make an All-Rookie team.

• 2nd year he'll make his first Pro Bowl.

• 3rd or 4th year he'll become an All-Pro. 

I wanted this kid months before heading into the draft because he's not only one of my top 10 favorite FSU DB's of All-Time but he's also the toughest and the most physical FSU DB I've ever experienced and like Jamal Adams you're able to line him up all over the football field. And speaking of Jamal, Hamsah Nasirildeen was way more of a physical freak of a TACKLING MACHINE than Jamal Adams was as a tackling machine @ LSU.

Nasirildeen is going to capture the hearts of Jets fans as a rookie and from there he's going to develop into an NFL 6th round Legend. 

He's not going to let us down I promise you Jets fans he's not going to let himself down because he was a guaranteed 1st round meal ticket before the ACL injury. I've watched every single one of his games on Saturdays and haven't missed an FSU game since 1998-1999. The ACL injury took 0% away from his physical abilities because he came back for our final two games and after shaking off rust during his 1st game back he absolutely FEASTED with 9 tackles, 1 tackle for loss and an INT and actually won a freaking game again to close out the season vs Duke. I told my daughter he's BACK and went apesh*t crazy during his INT return. The only thing his ACL did was humble him and make him more focused moving forward; he's not going to disappoint.

Wait you're an FSU fan?

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2021 at 6:07 AM, NYDreamer said:

Im also intrigued to see how Zuniga progresses in this system.  DWC has me fired up about Nasirildeen though.  Nice write up.

I think we’ll see JFM work at both DT and DE, with Huff primarily on the Edge in a deep front four rotation, especially at Edge. 

23 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Yeah,  I think is spot on.  I dont see Davis or Mosley coming off the field very often.  If you look at the how Saleh ran the D in San Fran, the weak side was often a positionless player, which I think definitely gives Sherwood and Ham Nas every chance in the world to get snaps but I do think ultimately, Cashman wins that job but I could also see the position get tons of different rotations depending on situation.  They have like 6 DB/S/LB type hybrid guys on this team now too.

I don’t think the Jets will have more than two LBs on the field more than 50% of the time. Just as three WR sets are generally base offenses in the NFL, the nickel has become the base defense. So yeah, it’s Mosley and Davis on the field until they go to dime. Mosley is critical, largely because they really don’t have a backup for him. If he were to miss time, I’d think they’d move Davis to the middle, and one of their 3-4 leftover hybrid DE/OLBs would get thrown in at Sam. Maybe Zuniga. 

• Upvote 2

Good thread. I think it's safe to say, as many already have, that J Davis will be the strong. The other spot is wide open. I have no idea, and I've enjoyed reading everyone's speculation.

• Agree with @slats about the nickel package being the most common look, with only two LB'ers, or maybe even one LB and a safety in the box. Curious to see if Mosley + Joyner in the box with Davis + Maye over the top is a look we use in third and long?
  • @JiFapono: "Ham Nas" is a glorious nickname
  • @kdels62 is right about Cashman. Excellent fit for this scheme; will be injured in the first defensive series of the opener.

From some of the videos I watched after the draft, if I remember correctly, the biggest hitter is Sherwood.

I choose violence. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2021 at 7:36 AM, kdels62 said:

crash test dummies 80s GIFseason 2 help GIF by Fox TV

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I think we’ll see JFM work at both DT and DE, with Huff primarily on the Edge in a deep front four rotation, especially at Edge. 

I'll be disappointed if Huff loses a spot on the roster in favor of Ronald Blair who is a Saleh favorite. At DE JFM, Curry, Lawson are locks.  And Zuniga and Kyle Phillips will most likely make it. So that could lead Huff on the outside looking in if Blair makes it. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, slats said:

I don’t think the Jets will have more than two LBs on the field more than 50% of the time. Just as three WR sets are generally base offenses in the NFL, the nickel has become the base defense. So yeah, it’s Mosley and Davis on the field until they go to dime. Mosley is critical, largely because they really don’t have a backup for him. If he were to miss time, I’d think they’d move Davis to the middle, and one of their 3-4 leftover hybrid DE/OLBs would get thrown in at Sam. Maybe Zuniga. 

Huff has shown much more than Zuniga and will be competing for that DE position opposite Lawson. I see JFM being used inside with Fatukasi, Rankins, QW, Shepherd. If anything, I can see Curry losing out at 33 yo. 
https://www.si.com/college/florida/football/jabari-zuniga-finishes-as-top-performer-at-nfl-combine

Regarding 2 LB’s 50% of the time:

Agree 100% Teams like NE with the 2 headed TE monster with Jonnu & HH Will require bigger DB’s for coverage but limits run defense. Titans with Julio, AJ will require a 4-2-5. Derrick Henry will have Mosley spying him all day and Davis/Joyner on the TE. 

Bills = Diggs, Sanders & Beasley

Dolphins = Fuller, Waddle & Parker

This is the NFL Today…. Speed. A lot will be asked of our DL when in the nickel set. Glad we have very good depth. “All Gas = Quickly Gassed”

Edited by 32EBoozer

48 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

Ya know, i didn't realize Vinny Curry's salary is only $1 mil. Yeah maybe he isn't such a lock afterall. Especially at 33yrs old. 

JD looking for veteran leadership among a young roster with Curry & Rankins. I hope we don’t cut a young promising player due to loyalty. I’m not sure how much Curry has left

• Upvote 1

CM Mosley and Jarred Davis I believe are no brainers. I'm quite confident Davis can regain his original from playing in a 4-3. Ultimately, my feeling is we'll be looking at that signing as one of the most instrumental in reinventing the Jets defense. From there, I still believe Blake Cashman is a good player and can contribute with the Jets. IMO, the coaching staff gives him one more shot at sticking as a starter. My hope is that he makes the most of it.

23 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Add Enunwa to the list of MacDaddy picks who were always injured along with Cashman. Enunwa however got extended ?‍♂️

Enunwa was an Idzyuk pick. Probably the only decent of the 12 he made and of course had a promising future cut short. ?

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2021 at 3:54 AM, Greenseed4 said:

Davis is a lock for the strong side. I like that we double-dipped in the draft to stick the pipeline and hope this is the formula to build depth at all position groups. 

I can see Davis getting a lot of play in Saleh’s defensive schemes. He should really begin to hit his stride. Kid is a heat seeking missile and was a top pick by JD. I recall that monstrous hit he made on Cam and was wrongly penalized for it since it was just so perfect. He hit Cam so hard they just assumed it was an illegal hit. Make no mistake, Saleh will do everything he can to get Davis going. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Add Enunwa to the list of MacDaddy picks who were always injured along with Cashman. Enunwa however got extended ?‍♂️

As stated, Enunwa was an Idzik pick.  Picking players in the later rounds with injury concerns is a common practice.  It is one of very few ways to find a gem.  For instance, both of our staring corners missed the season.  People are penciling in Nasrildeen in, um.... do you not think he comes with injury concerns?

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2021 at 9:41 AM, AFJF said:

Pretty unsettled position at this point.  Figure Davis SHOULD win one of the OLB jobs but does he?  Who do you think starts the majority of the time for Saleh on either side of Mosley?

Hoping it's Davis and Nasirildeen with Cashman having a shot if he can stay on the field.

I'm not even sure Mosely gets the majority of time on his own side