Personally I’d take the Eagles or Texans Deal Followed bySaints

Interesting.  The tag and trade idea never occurred to me.  Frankly I wouldn't mind if the price is right.  However for those thinking we have an outside shot at the post season we would be stretching our inexperienced LB corps a bit far.  

9 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Frankly I wouldn't mind if the price is right. 

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I’d probably take any of these deals.

Barnett & Eryz would be plug & play. Not certain what Eagles cap space is like or their thoughts on Barnett. Ertz is obviously on the trade block and JD loves his Eagles!

200.gif

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Barnett & Eryz would be plug & play. Not certain what Eagles cap space is like or their thoughts on Barnett. Ertz is obviously on the trade block and JD loves his Eagles!

200.gif

Agreed

Ertz may not be a Top 5 player at his position anymore, but I have little doubt that he’s still better than Herndon, Kroft or Griffin and can still be a reliable safety valve for your young QB if healthy.

And Barnett may be a bit of a 1st round bust to this point, but he’s still at least a solid starter who is an upgrade over a 33 year old Vinny Curry and Ronald Blair.

Adding those two plus a 4th sixth round pick next year in exchange for Maye sounds gravy to me. 

Hell, I’d say the same if Maye cost us $6 million a year, much less $12-14.

He’s a non-gamechanging safety at the end of the day. Good, versatile piece for the defense? Sure.

But not one of the Top 5, or ideally, Top 10 players on the team that turns the tide in the championship direction.

Smart teams don’t pay these kinds of guys at non-premium positions top dollar for said non-premium positions, period.

Let the dumbass Redskins or “WFT” pay Landon Collins $14 million a year. Let the dumbass, crumbling, held up every year by the scrotum courtesy of Russell Wilson Seahawks trade two 1st rounders and a 3rd for Jamal Adams and be stuck with the sh*twall of paying him no less than $18 million a year longterm or letting him walk.

Smart teams make smart investments

• Upvote 1

This came up with Bell in his sit-out season, but aren't other teams in the same boat as the Jets now? I mean, if they trade for him then he's just playing under the tag and they can't sign him to an extension until the season's over, right?

Especially with the extension deadline now in the past, I can't imagine teams are lining up to give high picks for Maye outright, when he's in need of a big contract, let alone when they can't even offer him a contract until 2022, though a team would still have the option of tagging him again in 2022. I've been surprised plenty of times before, but my gut says Maye's not a big enough name for that to happen like the 5 players they mentioned. 

If there's even a hint of possibility of the Cowboys' (or anyone's) 2nd round pick for Maye, they should jump on it (and someone like Douglas already would have made that trade if it was possible for a merely pretty-good safety he had no serious interest in extending). The Jets could make a later trade for a different stopgap safety for a lot less than a 2nd round pick (if so desired). I don't even care about the center or any player being thrown in; one more season of Maye at $11MM isn't worth a 2nd rounder to the 2021 Jets.

• Upvote 3

Tried telling everyone since last year Marcus Maye could never net us no two 1st round picks and the most he could ever bring us were a 3rd or 2nd at most. 

He's just not really any good because he's a FS ball hawk who can't INT QBs (6 heading into year 5).

I'd unload him for a FG kicker and be happy. 

Can't wait until both Saleh/JD utilize a 1st/2nd/3rd on a true ball hawking FS through the draft.

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That Chargers deal is ******* hilarious. A kicker, a guy that they already drafted, and a fourth. Amazing. Best idea ever. 

Yeah I was like “Wut”? when I read that one. It was just a bizarre offer dreamt up by this guy. Must be a closet Chargers fan

For the same reason the Jets won’t give Maye a large contract, other teams aren’t going to give the Jets multiple players/picks forhim in a trade: 

He’s a good…but no where near great player at a position that is not prioritized in the NFL. 

The best return the Jets could possibly hope to get for him is a 3rd round supplemental draft pick the year after we let him walk and he signs somewhere else. 

17 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

The best return the Jets could possibly hope to get for him is a 3rd round supplemental draft pick the year after we let him walk

Ha! There’s usually very little talent in the supplemental draft. Only guys that usually come out have behavioral or legal problems or a financial need. Rob Moore was the only player I remember us taking.

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This came up with Bell in his sit-out season, but aren't other teams in the same boat as the Jets now? I mean, if they trade for him then he's just playing under the tag and they can't sign him to an extension until the season's over, right?

Especially with the extension deadline now in the past, I can't imagine teams are lining up to give high picks for Maye outright, when he's in need of a big contract, let alone when they can't even offer him a contract until 2022, though a team would still have the option of tagging him again in 2022. I've been surprised plenty of times before, but my gut says Maye's not a big enough name for that to happen like the 5 players they mentioned. 

If there's even a hint of possibility of the Cowboys' (or anyone's) 2nd round pick for Maye, they should jump on it (and someone like Douglas already would have made that trade if it was possible for a merely pretty-good safety he had no serious interest in extending). The Jets could make a later trade for a different stopgap safety for a lot less than a 2nd round pick (if so desired). I don't even care about the center or any player being thrown in; one more season of Maye at $11MM isn't worth a 2nd rounder to the 2021 Jets.

If the jets can essentially recoup a 2nd rounder they spent on him that would be another  douglas win.  Maye has also been injured a fair amount, he does not fit the jets new Uber athletic mold and he likely won’t be a jet next year anyway.  But if douglas sees him as a locker room leader for the youngsters they maye want him around anyway.

• Upvote 1

I don't  really see any of the these deals mattering. They are all more or less the same, guys that all have some pros and cons to them. Personally I'm  not sure how I view Maye other than he is the only truely experienced player in our secondary. I just don't  understand JD not being able to strike a deal with a second round pick who has proved no more than he is just a solid player. 

7 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Tried telling everyone since last year Marcus Maye could never net us no two 1st round picks and the most he could ever bring us were a 3rd or 2nd at most. 

He's just not really any good because he's a FS ball hawk who can't INT QBs (6 heading into year 5).

I'd unload him for a FG kicker and be happy. 

Can't wait until both Saleh/JD utilize a 1st/2nd/3rd on a true ball hawking FS through the draft.

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That Chargers deal is ******* hilarious. A kicker, a guy that they already drafted, and a fourth. Amazing. Best idea ever. 

877A8221-573E-42ED-8992-2E78D1433E7E.gif

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

who has proved no more than he is just a solid player. 

Those types of players should also be able to offer ST ability. JD loves players who can play multiple roles. I’m sure the young DB’s drafted will be playing ST. Maye I believe has not taken significant ST snaps

17 minutes ago, section314 said:

If I had to choose, Dallas or New Orleans, though not thrilled with any of these. Gotta be kidding with the Chargers, right?

I’m sorry, but why would the Cowboys trade their starting Center + a 2nd round pick for a Safety?

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Those types of players should also be able to offer ST ability. JD loves players who can play multiple roles. I’m sure the young DB’s drafted will be playing ST. Maye I believe has not taken significant ST snaps

Guys who play ST are often not good enough to be a positional player but show enough athletic ability to run down field and block or tackle. ST is also dangerous so you don't  want to put a starter on ST just to see him get injured trying ro throw a block or make a tack on a ST play and then put your second string guy in for the rest of the game. 

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Ha! There’s usually very little talent in the supplemental draft. Only guys that usually come out have behavioral or legal problems or a financial need. Rob Moore was the only player I remember us taking.

Lol....I meant compensatory pick....this is what happens when you roll over in bed at 5:30 a.m. and the first thing you do is check JN while you're still half asleep!

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Which cost us Farve the following year..

4 hours ago, Claymation said:

I would rather keep Maye and let him walk after the season. Collect the comp pick.

Yup. He'll play to get that next contract. Take the contract year play, and the compensation after. Its not like we're starved for 2022 picks. If he plays his ass off and makes a huge impression, it'll be a decent return.

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

i would have no problem moving on from maye.  He is a decent S but no way i am over paying or over terming him.  safeties are easily  replaced.

Agreed, he is just a good player who isnt special - you shouldnt pay those types of players elite money.

As for the trade, I really like the Eagles deal too, simply because young pass-rushers like Barnett are smart to acquire.  Adding Barnett gives you a full year to evaluate what contract he is worth and gives you flexibility in the draft in case we cant get a DE in round 1.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, undertow said:

Funny the only one I like out of those is the Dallas trade...2nd and a young center.  The rest are just plugging holes in the short term and taking a lesser draft pick.   None of those players are worthy of a long term investment and we aren't winning anything this year.

You and I are exactly on the same page.  The Dallas trade is the only one I would be interested in for the reasons you gave.  Great minds think alike!!

• Sympathy 1

21 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Right, that would be as dumb as the Seahawks trading two firsts, a player, and a third round pick for a fourth round pick and jamal adams? The gene for stupidity is prevalent.

JD has one of those faces!

It says “Trust Me”! The deal I’m offering is a “win-win”

Handshake Good Deal GIF by Dynasty Drunks

• Haha 1