Oh no! Zachapono might suck?!?

freestater

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Dude.

I love you....But don't buy into the sky is falling crowd.  Under the circumstance ZW was fantastic.

We should be expecting this from the youngest offense in the NFL.

100% with you, but they gonna kill him if they don’t start holding rest of those jerk offs responsible. Zach made something out of Nothing today. He got better as offense got worse. Him, defense and sexy abs get the game balls. Saleh and LaFleur better fix this shit. That’s all 

• Upvote 4

LaFleur, as far as I'm concerned, was the biggest problem today.
Yes, the OL couldn't block, yes the WR couldn't catch....but the amount of pre-snap offensive penalties was just discarecul.
This team simply wasn't prepared.

That’s fair.
I thought Zach played well considering.

The DL did not play well. They should have dominated the game. They didn’t.

And with how disgraceful the 1st half was, the Jets were a stop away from having a chance to win.
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Claymation said:

That’s fair.
I thought Zach played well considering.

The DL did not play well. They should have dominated the game. They didn’t.

And with how disgraceful the 1st half was, the Jets were a stop away from having a chance to win.

Agreed.

They had no right being in this game at all.  I think that's a testament to Sam just not being any good.

DL wasn't great.  WR's couldn't catch, OL was disgraceful - yet ZW managed to hold his composure.

I'm still bullish on Zach! moreso than ever!!!!

• Upvote 3

My Sports Journalism professor often says that the art of covering sports is, at least in part, to capture a moment in time like a photograph.  You may not immediately recognize the import of every detail as you take the photograph.  But later, once the photograph is developed, you see things that you didn't first realize.  Today there has been a lot of analysis stating that the offensive line is doomed.  The playing calling was inefficient.  The run game is inept.  The wide receivers were not good.  But these conclusions are just what we see when we are taking the photograph.  Once we get a chance to look at the game more closely and contextualize with with later performances by the Jets we might catch details that suggest that the causes of the New York Jets success or failure in the 2021-2022 season, and beyond.

For example, I would say that we saw a New York Jets offense today that was willing to air it out deep from time-to-time at least compared to recent years under Gase.  We also saw a New York Jets team give up six sacks.  Does this mean that playcalling will embrace a risk-reward strategy going forward given Zach Wilson's accuracy on deep balls?  Does it mean they will shy away from late developing throws to better protect Zach Wilson and reduce hits and pressure?  

Today's photograph will mean more to us in a few months and a few years than it does now.  

1 hour ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

My Sports Journalism professor often says that the art of covering sports is, at least in part, to capture a moment in time like a photograph.  You may not immediately recognize the import of every detail as you take the photograph.  But later, once the photograph is developed, you see things that you didn't first realize.  Today there has been a lot of analysis stating that the offensive line is doomed.  The playing calling was inefficient.  The run game is inept.  The wide receivers were not good.  But these conclusions are just what we see when we are taking the photograph.  Once we get a chance to look at the game more closely and contextualize with with later performances by the Jets we might catch details that suggest that the causes of the New York Jets success or failure in the 2021-2022 season, and beyond.

For example, I would say that we saw a New York Jets offense today that was willing to air it out deep from time-to-time at least compared to recent years under Gase.  We also saw a New York Jets team give up six sacks.  Does this mean that playcalling will embrace a risk-reward strategy going forward given Zach Wilson's accuracy on deep balls?  Does it mean they will shy away from late developing throws to better protect Zach Wilson and reduce hits and pressure?  

Today's photograph will mean more to us in a few months and a few years than it does now.  

We're just all like, part of nature dude.  And our atoms will one day rejoin the earth to give... 

You're absolutely right.  We got a picture of what the 2021 Jets are, and we'll be able to place that picture in an album that tell the full story.  That's a healthy way of looking at the game, at life in general.

But we're also football fans, and there is glaring issues that obviously will need to be addressed.  Some people are going to rant and rave, others will be cautiously optimistic.

I think the one thing we gleaned from the game is the kid has real talent, and it has the potential to shine brightly in the right situation.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, freestater said:

I'll bump this after Zach gets a year of the David Carr treatment. 

That's the big worry.

Kid's got the goods. Jets are perfectly capable of ruining the goods, if they let opposing pass-rushers crush the goods 6 times per game.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

That's the big worry.

Kid's good the goods. Jets are perfectly capable of ruining the goods, if they let opposing pass-rushers crush the goods 6 times per game.

And we are right back to dipping into the same narrative we have seen with Sanchez, Geno and Darnold. FQBs can’t be ruined. If you believe Zack has the goods you can stop freaking out now.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

And we are right back to dipping into the same narrative we have seen with Sanchez, Geno and Darnold. FQBs can’t be ruined. If you believe Zack has the goods you can stop freaking out now.

They can be ruined if their bodies break down from being repeatedly crushed by 300lb linemen. That's the concern.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

They can be ruined if their bodies break down from being repeatedly crushed by 300lb linemen. That's the concern.

Pretty hard to upgrade OL during season. Options are bench him and hide him or let him play and see what we got. I’m pretty sure 99.9% of Jets fans prefer the latter. Not worth worrying about it.

Rookie HC check

Rookie OC check

Rookie starting QB check

Youngest team in NFL check

New systems on both sides of the ball; check

Ummmmm the team played hard and fast the second half and this is what happens to a team with all of the above…..

However if the OL doesn’t play better on a consistent basis you will eventually see a QB with happy feet and making poor decisions; and guys now defending Zach Wilson will be saying “he is no better than Darnold.”

• Upvote 4

Jets are going to ruin this ******* guy. JD should have paid billions to ******* FA linemen so we PROTECT our investment. 

If I'm Saleh Id sit Zack and scream at our OL to get their sh*t together and not put Zack back in till we see them consistently put up league average blocking metrics.

Otherwise what the ****s the point of trotting him out there every weekend to get his teeth kicked in.

• Upvote 1

zach played well enough considering.  the oline did not play very well and he didn't have time to go through progressions nor did the run game do enough to pull some pressure off the passing game.  moore fizzled a bit. the te's got into the game.  kroft looks pretty good.  berrios did well, davis did well.  the rb's did about all they could given the run blocking.

the defense started out slowly but started tightening up.  that maccaffery had some nice runs and he does that against everyone.  darnold went to him as his go to guy.  the robbie td was a little inexcusable.  but they tightened enough in the second half.

the bottom line is the team was in it until the end, it took them a full half to get their game together.  the oline needs to play together better.  becton going down doesn't help but fant filled in pretty well at lt and moses at rt.  the talking heads say the game will slow down for zach.  it's the same thing for the rest of the young guys too.

10 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Agreed.

They had no right being in this game at all.  I think that's a testament to Sam just not being any good.

DL wasn't great.  WR's couldn't catch, OL was disgraceful - yet ZW managed to hold his composure.

I'm still bullish on Zach! moreso than ever!!!!

This is the result of pre-season and off season training and OTA activity reductions. The first few regular season games are in effect, pre season games. Injuries are the result of the reduction of training during the off season. 

Teams that have lower amount of turnover have an advantage - less time to learn and internalize systems.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

A guy sucking the very first game of his rookie year is fine and normal, but when the rest of the team looks like a poorly prepared pile of schmegma, that's bad.

Zach didn’t suck same way Sam never really sucked here.  The team overall sucks.  Only 2-3 QBs on the planet can elevate a crappy roster and one of them yesterday got blown out 38-3 because his team sucked

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

I swear this is Defense Wins Championships desperately using another persona to gain access to this site. 

By my count, this is the third time someone has suggested that I am a poster called "DWC" or "Defense Wins Championships."  I will review that posters posting history to see if there's any obvious reason for the comparison beyond the temporal proximity between DWC being banned or suspended (I have gleaned he is no longer posting here from some of the responses) from these Jets Nation Forums.  I am not DWC, but will find it interesting to see if there's another kindred spirit on the internet.  

2 minutes ago, Sports-Journalism101 said:

By my count, this is the third time someone has suggested that I am a poster called "DWC" or "Defense Wins Championships."  I will review that posters posting history to see if there's any obvious reason for the comparison beyond the temporal proximity between DWC being banned or suspended (I have gleaned he is no longer posting here from some of the responses) from these Jets Nation Forums.  I am not DWC, but will find it interesting to see if there's another kindred spirit on the internet.  

Sounds like something DWC would say. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Albaniajet said:

Zach didn’t suck same way Sam never really sucked here.  The team overall sucks.  Only 2-3 QBs on the planet can elevate a crappy roster and one of them yesterday got blown out 38-3 because his team sucked

Nah I saw much of that game. Rodgers was just bad. He looked disinterested and looked terrible. I suspect that does not last.

4 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

I swear this is Defense Wins Championships desperately using another persona to gain access to this site. 

You’re not alone. I’ve been thinking the same thing. In fact, I wanted to call him out last night.

Remember he was talking about going to journalism school? He wanted to become a beat writer who built players up, not tear them down.

30 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

You’re not alone. I’ve been thinking the same thing. In fact, I wanted to call him out last night.

Remember he was talking about going to journalism school? He wanted to become a beat writer who built players up, not tear them down.

I forgot that part. 

If this isn't DWC or a troll account, I'm shocked. 

I saw hope in that 2nd half. Our Defense played better, our QB made plays out of nothing and our WRs finally made some catches. Our O-line is garbage right now, they could not handle stunts or shifts. We need to keep an RB back and a TE to chip ends or else we are going to get Zach killed. 

How close were we to a win? Probably if Elijah Moore or Corey Davis holds on to those deep passes we are in a much tighter game. I will say this, Darnold is not better than Zach, I could see that Zach has way more moxie and toughness than Darnold ever had on our team. 

LL

• Upvote 1