The real reason Denzel Mims is buried on the New York Jets’ depth chart

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Hey I agree overall I am hard on mims because i expected a lot more from him this year.  I expected him to com into camp and just take off after last year.  Instead he let other players pass him on the depth chart.  The coaches are going to play the best players.

Well, the CS isn't necessarily right this time. Mims may not know enough about the Z, F, and X options but he still offers an enormous talent with go routes. You're trying to tell me the Jets CS couldn't utilize Mims more than 3 times? They couldn't just design more go routes and install Mims as part of those plays??

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

There is a reason the kid fell almost all the way to rd 3.  I can see the temptation with all those physical skills...  I mean its not the QB position... there are a lot of really dumb WRs that are highly successful in the NFL.  They at least learn how to learn the playbook.  I guess the WR coach doesn't have the support or time to give him more 1-1 attention?  You would think the jets have someone working on him every day, right?  

Last year’s draft class had a lot of good wrs, mims was considered raw and that’s why he fell.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Last year’s draft class had a lot of good wrs, mims was considered raw and that’s why he fell.

raw with respect to route running for sure.  But I'm thinking it's more than just raw.  We weren't there for interviews or privy to what his coaches had to see to pro scouts about him.  All that can contribute to a drop on draft day.

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Why do we seem to always pick long shots or "projects"? 

Yet the guy can contribute.  He has good hands.  Seems like the same problem with bechton, douglas drafted these two guys before the current coaches were here and now they’re not good fits in their new systems.  How can you have an OL scheme where bechton isn’t bulldozing guys?  

• Upvote 4

Just now, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

I think there’s something to this, but I also think there’s a long game being played here where the coaching staff wants to see him bury his head in the playbook and earn his reps by understanding his assignments like the back of his hand. Talent wins in this league but I’m not mad at a coaching staff that rewards the players who put in the work over the players who are talented but just don’t seem to get it. 

Plus they spent money on 2 FA wrs and kept crowder so it’s not as if they were planning on having mims in there at least right away.  The writing was on the wall with mims when they kept crowder.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Why do we seem to always pick long shots or "projects"? 

Claypool was sitting right there when Douglas traded down to 59. In fact, the Steelers took him with the very next pick from where we traded. 

Mims + Morgan or Chase Claypool?  You decide.  :rl:

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Claypool was sitting right there when Douglas traded down to 59. In fact, the Steelers took him with the very next pick from where we traded. 

Mims + Morgan or Chase Claypool?  You decide.  :rl:

Does claypool know the whole route tree?  Probably not.  But teams like the Steelers will figure out how to get him the ball.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Does claypool know the whole route tree?  Probably not.  But teams like the Steelers will figure out how to get him the ball.

As we have seen.  So the next step in the argument is that it's on the coaching and not the player?  I wish I knew if that were true. But we don't.  There's a short circuit in there somewhere.

48 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Let's assume he's dumb as a box of rocks. So, the Coaching staff is unable to find a handful of plays that he can run? He's played football his whole freaking life, their are clearly some plays he is capable of running. Pitiful excuse for the staff not making the most of his talents. 

Agree with this.  Why does he have to back up all 3 positions?  If he’s limited, let him back up one position until he more fully grasps the playbook.

Reminds me a bit of Jonathan Vilma.  Jets changed from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and they couldn’t find a role for him.  Guy was a great linebacker.  Traded him to New Orleans for 50 cents on the dollar and he went on to win a SuperBowl and multiple pro bowls.

Same thing will happen with Mims.  They’ll trade him somewhere where he’ll become a star.

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Remember that when Zack throws to were Mims should be, and he isn't there, and it goes for 6 the other way.

If you're cool with hanging Zack out to dry like that, ok.

Eh, again. 

You put him on the field to run some go routes. Or at least in the Redzone. The dude has been productive in the limited time we have seen him on the field. 

5 minutes ago, Milo1735 said:

Agree with this.  Why does he have to back up all 3 positions?  If he’s limited, let him back up one position until he more fully grasps the playbook.

Reminds me a bit of Jonathan Vilma.  Jets changed from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and they couldn’t find a role for him.  Guy was a great linebacker.  Traded him to New Orleans for 50 cents on the dollar and he went on to win a SuperBowl and multiple pro bowls.

Same thing will happen with Mims.  They’ll trade him somewhere where he’ll become a star.

More than anything it sounds like he’s not the prototypical wr they want in this offense whereas Elijah moore is.  

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Guys like Sean Payton would figure out how to get mims the ball.  

Of course he would.

This is the time when the coaches earn their money.  Anyone can take someone else's system and transfer it over.  You're essentially just copying a playbook...

It's how you adapt that makes the great ones.  

• Upvote 1

I get adapting the system to take advantage of the best players, but you guys are acting like he is wasting Tim Brown in his prime. Dd any of you ****ers stump this hard for Jonathan Carter?  I like Mims.  I was glad they drafted him, but this is not a guy you change your system for.  Especially not when the other guys are playing well.  By all accounts Davis and Moore deserve it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get adapting the system to take advantage of the best players, but you guys are acting like he is wasting Tim Brown in his prime. Dd any of you ****ers stump this hard for Jonathan Carter?  I like Mims.  I was glad they drafted him, but this is not a guy you change your system for.  Especially not when the other guys are playing well.  By all accounts Davis and Moore deserve it. 

But berrios? I agree if we had Crowder/Davis/Moore out there. But berrios is just average IMHO

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I'm talking about practice.  He was saying he didnt want to sign veteran CB's because it would take away from valuable camp reps.  Why was the WR position different?   Why not poor all of that into Mims/Moore the way you did with the corners?

Because you need the receivers to not be mucking things up as you're also developing a young QB.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

You can't give the guy live reps if he doesn't know what he's doing.

Seems pretty clear from Saleh's comments Mims isn't putting in the work off the field to even justify getting the reps.

Why doesn't that apply to the OL?

All summer we have been reading how the OL is being owned by the Jets DL, the Packers DL, and the Eagles DL.

Mr feel good HC "not to worry, they'll be good to go when it goes real"

1st game Jets OL is owned by the Panthers DL.  Why is everyone surprised?  :) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Let's assume he's dumb as a box of rocks. So, the Coaching staff is unable to find a handful of plays that he can run? He's played football his whole freaking life, their are clearly some plays he is capable of running. Pitiful excuse for the staff not making the most of his talents. 

It's a good sign that they haven't done just that.

That's the step you take when you have completely given up hope that he can figure it out and become something more than a situational guy. You do it now, he'll get comfortable in that role and maybe never hit on what he could be. Make him sweat a little. It's still early. There have been plenty of dumb guys in this league that have still managed to have that light go on to put in the work.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

It's a good sign that they haven't done just that.

That's the step you take when you have completely given up hope that he can figure it out and become something more than a situational guy. You do it now, he'll get comfortable in that role and maybe never hit on what he could be. Make him sweat a little. It's still early. There have been plenty of dumb guys in this league that have still managed to have that light go on to put in the work.

I think the thing they don’t want to say is that he’s a poor scheme fit with this offense and douglas doesn’t know what to do.  They clearly value quicker wrs who change direction quicker which is why berrios played way more last week.  Mims may have trade value, but they would need to have him play to establish it.  So they’re in a bind.  Right now they’re blaming it on knowing the offense.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Did anyone actually take the time to read the article that was linked by the OP. 

To summarize the article -- He came from a very simple offensive system at Baylor, where he ran a limited route tree.  He had more to learn than other young WRs breaking into the NFL.  Add to that injuries last season, a Covid offseason, change in coaching staff, learning a new system which is very complex for WRs, illness this offseason and it has taken him longer to get up to speed than other rookie/yr 2 WRs.

If he is not ready, then don't put him out there.  We have two more years of him on a rookie contract.  We must see somthing in him, or we would have put him on the practice squad.  Good nes is with Davis, Cole, Crowder and Moore we can give him time to develop.  These narratives that he is a lazy, unprepared idiot are based on nothing but conjecture.

Jet Nation.  We love our rookies, but hate our 2nd year players.  

I think his learning curve is just different, I ultimately agree with the article when it comes to being patient. The rookie has plenty of options to throw to for now until Mims gets fully integrated into the offense whether that be week 8 or next year.

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Because you need the receivers to not be mucking things up as you're also developing a young QB.

No doubt.  Very important.  I still find it a little hypocritical.  Maybe I'm looking to much into coach talk but I would assume if there werent veterans in front of him maybe it would somewhat force him to be more accountable with his knowledge of the system.  I assume that's part of the logic with the young corners as well.  Maybe not, could be off and maybe he's just a turd but I dont remember this being a thing last year and every time the guy is given a chance, he takes advantage of it.  

21 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

He's a gamer, put him on those go routes and watch him burn pretty much every db in this league. 

Oh looks, Mims is the new Robby.

Perhaps this is another case where we Fans maybe need to be a wee bit less impatient, and actually see what the staff does the first few weeks of the season.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

TLDR:  Dumb, Lazy, or both.

Only explanation for a guy with his body and skills being buried behind guys who, frankly, are fringe bodies and talents at best.

I must agree with you.  Sometimes in life, I run into a person who lives by the code of the "victim mentality".  That is what I call it.

When anything bad happens to that person, it is always someone else's fault, never that person's fault.  I got injured, and then I got another injury.  I ate bad food, and got food poisoning, and it ruined an entire month of my preparation.  Or, I got 2 new coaching staffs in 2 years, and now I have to learn an extremely hard playbook.  Remember, I had a very limited playbook in college, so I was never showed this schemie in college.

And on, and on, and on, and on.......

It's called, "victim mentality", and it is for losers!!!