George Fant: Playing LT is hard

Team archer

21 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I'm going to have disagree with Fant on that take.  lol

20 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

If he truly feels it's anywhere near, close, by any stretch of the imagination to a righty throwing lefty then he should ABSOLUTELY NOT be on the field...EVER playing that position.

If the Jets have no choice then ZW needs to sit and let the backup get hurt.

So you think its easy to change from your dominant side to your weak side ? There' a reason we don't see this happening more often. Sure the take was a bit extreme but he was just trying to make a point that you guys take way to literally.

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

So you think its easy to change from your dominant side to your weak side ? There' a reason we don't see this happening more often. Sure the take was a bit extreme but he was just trying to make a point that you guys take way to literally.

I think you're missing what bothers me about this...

Yes, it was a ridiculous analog and I'm sure there's merit to his point.  

What's frustrating is the pre-emptive excuse making.

He's wanted this job, he's asked for this job and now he's making excuses for his failure before it even happens.  And it's coming off one of the worst overall team OL performances I've ever seen....

Maybe he said for another reason, but I can't imagine what that is....

29 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

He needs to do a better job with his analogies, Smash.  This stuff matters.

34 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He's wanted this job, he's asked for this job and now he's making excuses for his failure before it even happens.  And it's coming off one of the worst overall team OL performances I've ever seen....

11 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

He needs to do a better job with his analogies, Smash.  This stuff matters.

I hear ya guys but I'm not sure he's got some agenda of covering his ass if he fails type situation he just made a point that was a bit over the top 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

To summarize, a football player made a poor analogy and fans on the internet went berserk.

hqdefault.jpg

Yes, and the sad part is that I don't even think he made the "pitcher" analogy that everyone is going berserk over.

I'll try to make it easy.  Go to the 1:45 mark of the video of his interview below, and tell me if Fant says "picture switching to your left hand" to Connor Hughes or if he says that it's like a pitcher switching to his left hand.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/george-fant-we-were-right-where-we-needed-to-be-on-running-plays-just-need-to-ex

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MykePM said:

Yes, and the sad part is that I don't even think he made the "pitcher" analogy that everyone is going berserk over.

I'll try to make it easy.  Go to the 1:45 mark of the video of his interview below, and tell me if Fant says "picture switching to your left hand" to Connor Hughes or if he says that it's like a pitcher switching to his left hand.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/george-fant-we-were-right-where-we-needed-to-be-on-running-plays-just-need-to-ex

More evidence Connor Hughes is a worthless hack.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I hear ya guys but I'm not sure he's got some agenda of covering his ass if he fails type situation he just made a point that was a bit over the top 

I know, you’re right. 
I didn’t like hearing it as I’m still pissed about that OL performance Sunday.  
I just don’t want to see Zach get killed  

Dumb thing to say, but these guys aren’t paid to talk.  

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

No...

Because a pitcher throwing a ball with his opposite hand would be damn near impossible.  I suspect if asked to do that they might not even throw a strike for 9 inning.

To you.  Because youre adding the editorial context to it.  

He made a simple statement that I've heard 1000xs before.  Switching from one side to the other is hard.  Not impossible.  Hard.  Anyone making the move will say the same exact things Fant said.  You hate Fant, you take it differently 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

He made a simple statement that I've heard 1000xs before.  Switching from one side to the other is hard.  Not impossible.  Hard.  Anyone making the move will say the same exact things Fant said.  You hate Fant, you take it differently 

Most here will not recall "two-way players".  That was hard.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Most here will not recall "two-way players".  That was hard.

Can you imagine playing todays game and playing two-ways?  I guess Myles Jack was the last to try it but in college, not the NFL.  Probably Chuck Bednarik was the last in the NFL to do it, regularly

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I never liked the signing no. You don’t sing other teams back ups to be your starters. 

But seriously, you’re right.  there was not a whole lot to that. I was being irrational as I’m just pissed at that OL performance. 
it’s Thursday and I feel better :-)  

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

More evidence Connor Hughes is a worthless hack.

Especially given Connor Hughes is the one who asks the question to Fant if switching sides difficult 

Fant responds with you're "taking notes now picture switching to your left hand".

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I never liked the signing no. You don’t sing other teams back ups to be your starters. 

But seriously, you’re right.  there was not a whole lot to that. I was being irrational as I’m just pissed at that OL performance. 
it’s Thursday and I feel better :-)  

You do when youre talking about a kid who is learning the position and you think hes on the upswing.  

I always go back to the NY Rangers, they signed a little used Edmonton Oiler who scored 7 goals and then set the Ranger mark with 50+

You have to remember OLs need time together to learn how to work as a unit.  You can stick all the talent next to each other and line them up and they still need time together.  Becton missed time early, AVT missed part of camp with a pectoral injury and all of preseason.  Add in we lost McGovern for a few weeks.  This wont be a great OL but they going to be better than they were a week ago.

Eventually ?

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Can you imagine playing todays game and playing two-ways?  I guess Myles Jack was the last to try it but in college, not the NFL.  Probably Chuck Bednarik was the last in the NFL to do it, regularly

Great job remembering those two.  And how about Blanda?  Used as a QB, kicker, and LBer.  Kicker until he was almost 50.   Guys like him were true immortals.

• Upvote 1

On 9/15/2021 at 1:51 PM, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

I’ve thought about this since Becton went down. 

If Fant can’t hold up at LT, then AVT could slide over to LT like he did in college. IF, BIG IF, AVT can hold down LT for the rest of ‘21 well enough to stay there, would you move Becton to RT for ‘22 and beyond?

yes but would still draft a LT. 

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Well if you watch Sundays game he was bad and to me that is an  indication that Wilson maybe running for his life.  Same 2 may play out before out eyes....

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I know, you’re right. 
I didn’t like hearing it as I’m still pissed about that OL performance Sunday.  
I just don’t want to see Zach get killed  

Dumb thing to say, but these guys aren’t paid to talk.  

for sure if they give Zach the time he needs he's going to tear it up, he sees the field well and for once a Jet QB deserves the protection 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You have to remember OLs need time together to learn how to work as a unit.  You can stick all the talent next to each other and line them up and they still need time together.  Becton missed time early, AVT missed part of camp with a pectoral injury and all of preseason.  Add in we lost McGovern for a few weeks.  This wont be a great OL but they going to be better than they were a week ago.

Eventually ?

Agree 100%.

And credit Douglas for improving the interior (AVT) and exterior (Moses) o-line during the off season. This line has some talent. Just needs time to gel.

Also, Jef fans have to get used to life without Becton. If he's healthy, it's a nice luxury. Just be grateful we have a pretty competent swing tackle in Fant.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Mekhi Becton, our top pick from last year , who is unfortunately going to struggle with his health as a 360lb human, but who also is talented enough to hold that spot.

Unless he comes back and is just lights out and stays healthy for the 6 or 7 games of the season, I see no you can go into next season with him locked in as the starter.  Just too high a risk.

You need to draft another LT - and you can live with Becton penciled in at RT.

On 9/15/2021 at 4:27 PM, kmnj said:

as I stated before the jets should not play wilson until the team has a better line and better rbs-he is going to get killed out there-yes we want to see our shiny new toy out there but we dont need what happened to burrow or carr happening to him

every fan, if being honest , knows this year is a trainwreck anyways.

let Wilson sit and hope Joe can build a better line this time around with free agents and the large draft capital we have. 

What if it is better week 1 next year but we suffer 2 or 3 injuries to the Oline should we put Zack back in the bubble for another year? 

• 3 months later...
12 minutes ago, Origen said:

Been wanting to resurrect this one for a while.  HOT TAKES ARE STUPID, PEOPLE.  Learn from this, please.

To be fair, I think 99% of this board was laughing at him and worrying for the future of Zach. Not very often do players say stuff like this and they put up all-pro numbers.

Maybe rather than being able to cover for himself if he failed on the left side, Fant was claiming that he belongs on the left.  That is why he signed here.  To be the LT.  Then they drafted Becton, flopped him and everyone acted like Fant was a bubble guy.  As someone that always supported the signing, let me point out that whenver Seattle seemed ready to pencil him in, something would derail Fant's season.

Personally, I thought is was a professional human talking to another professional in an interview setting where he provided an accurate and nuanced answer that showed the reality of the situation.  Unfortunately, the HOT TAKE PATROL cannot accept that and unless their feelings are cared for any statement must be made to maintain the Company Line.  Unless they don't want to hear cliches.  Then they want truth.  But not really.  Cliche!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Hex said:

To be fair, I think 99% of this board was laughing at him and worrying for the future of Zach. Not very often do players say stuff like this and they put up all-pro numbers.

Guess that makes me a 1%er

On 9/15/2021 at 4:13 PM, ZachEY said:

oh my goodness how dare he

Hooray, me

• Upvote 2