Jets, DL John Franklin-Meyers agree to 4-year, $55M extension

21 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

And he might have tried; we can't know all the intricacies in behind the scene.  Franklin-Myers might have been betting on himself to get to this point, so he could get the pay day he did.  Those numbers equate to the quality.  Will it last?  We'll see.  To me, it always seems better getting a guy like this, who will probably produce consistently at this level, and give you a bit more than what you paid, rather than go after the big name who might be living off his own legend, cash in, and then fade into the background.  The Jets have signed NUMEROUS guys like that.  

That seems extremely unlikely to be the response of a player who'd pocketed almost zero thus far, and was a fringe roster-bubble player a year and two years prior.

Far, far, more likely Douglas didn't make any offer because he'd just signed Lawson to $15MM/yr or whatever it was, plus he had 3 years' worth of draft picks coming up from 2021-2022, on top of probably wanting to give another tryout to his 3rd rounder from the prior season. Further, if JFM then got his dollars way up - with Lawson performing as hoped - then he'd recoup a 3rd round comp pick for losing him (if he didn't trade the player by late Oct). 

While certainly possible, the least likely scenario was that he made an extension offer to JFM, who turned it down before Lawson's injury.

Unlike most players the fan base wants to sign or resign regardless of the cap implications, in my opinion, this guy deserves his extension. He's done nothing but play at a high level since he started here, particularly as a guy who wasn't drafted in the first round. He's constantly making or in on plays, and I don't hear people making excuses for him like the numerous other d-linemen the fan base has coveted over the years. Good for JFM, keep up the good work chief. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Here's a longer version.

Much rather give this guy the money than Blitz Boy.

This is awesome, sounds like a great guy who has his priorities straight.  Doesnt sound like the guy who will slug through his career now that hes been paid.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Myers was a 2018 4th round pick of the Rams but lasted only one season with them even though he played in the SB and was credited with a sack on Brady. So the message this gives his teammates is even if a free agent and cut by another team you will get paid if you play well. Hopefully it will further incentivize other Jets players to play harder. Good move by the Jets.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

You know because it’s the Jets, they’re going to find like 6 kilos of coke severed head of a hooker in the trunk of his new Maserati, somewhere around week 12, right?

After being pulled over for driving at a clocked speed of 125 on the West Side Hwy?

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Joejet said:

Jets fans; JD is cheap, we never sign our own good players, also Jets fans; JD paid too much for JFM, he might get hurt or rest on his laurels.

Yes, this is an accurate description of Jets fans. What's your point?

Just like the world was ending after week 3 and now we're going to the super bowl after week 4. And will be back to the sky is falling if we lose tomorrow.

That's what makes Jets' fans special ?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ZachEY said:

You know because it’s the Jets, they’re going to find like 6 kilos of coke and the severed head of a hooker in the trunk of his new Maserati, somewhere around week 12, right?

What’s the matter you didn’t want to add the transsexual he/she into the equation?  
It is the NY Jets after all.  The go big or go home Jets

I'm glad that JD rewarded JFM, but feel it might be a bit premature.  

Even if his production doesn't dip, he wouldn't have gotten much more on the open market with only one good season under his belt.  

Odds are high he doesn't live up to the contract, but I'm glad we are finally spending.  

I'd like to see Moses get extended another season or two next. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'm glad that JD rewarded JFM, but feel it might be a bit premature.  

Even if his production doesn't dip, he wouldn't have gotten much more on the open market with only one good season under his belt.  

Odds are high he doesn't live up to the contract, but I'm glad we are finally spending.  

I'd like to see Moses get extended another season or two next. 

if he ended up with the 12-13 sacks that he's on pace for and Douglas let him hit the open market, this board would (correctly) be apoplectic. 25 year old pass rushers don't hit the market for a reason. 

Carl Lawson got his deal with 5.5 sacks last year. if JFM finished the season with 7+ he'd get a gigantic bag.

1 minute ago, Asymmetrical said:

if he ended up with the 12-13 sacks that he's on pace for and Douglas let him hit the open market, this board would (correctly) be apoplectic. 25 year old pass rushers don't hit the market for a reason. 

Carl Lawson got his deal with 5.5 sacks last year. if JFM finished the season with 7+ he'd get a gigantic bag.

Exactly the reason the franchise and transition tags were created for. 

Hopefully the kid keeps balling out.  He appears to be a good man and the type of player you want your team to have.  

28 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Exactly the reason the franchise and transition tags were created for. 

Hopefully the kid keeps balling out.  He appears to be a good man and the type of player you want your team to have.  

The franchise tag for a DE in 2021 is $15.893 million which is more than his contract calls for and that will only go up next year.  At some point you have to trust your scouts and coaches and extend the players that they think are the real deal.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joejet said:

The franchise tag for a DE in 2021 is $15.893 million which is more than his contract calls for and that will only go up next year.  At some point you have to trust your scouts and coaches and extend the players that they think are the real deal.

Exactly.  And we have the money to spend, so spend it!  When you have a rookie QB under cheap team control for 5 years, you can afford to "prematurely" pay a player like this.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

It will be a bargain if he continues to play at this level consistency. If he ends the season with 3 or 4 sacks, not so much a bargain. Its very so-so.
With jets luck one of 2 things will happen:
1. Payday = time to slack off
2. Blown out acl in london

With his belly full now hope he’s still motivated.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• 2 weeks later...