Defending Joe Douglas; And It's Year 2 Not Year 3

McNeil

1 hour ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

If people want to say year 1 doesnt count I wonder if they realize the vast majority of the teams wins with him as GM came that year. Cool. Let's remove year 1 and play along.

That means he is 3-19 as a GM. Good stuff.

well aleast you add better than @SAR I he got his record at 3-30

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

Besides moving on from darnold I think the next big splash was getting the draft picks in the adams trade.  They have a good chance to parley them into some good players in the next draft and it gets even better as Seattle’s records goes south.  The saleh hire looks solid. Too early to tell if he’s going to be long term but there are some positives in spite of the record.

Trade away the guys that actually made the team (and keep the sh*tty players you drafted) and hope to pick a star. I think you can buy a star at Christmas right? JD is swinging for the stars and his batting average is pretty bad to date.  

• Thumb Down 2

46 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Wait. You think we are winning another game this year?

SAR I

you looking into the future again NostraSARus.

yes i do think we will win at least 4 maybe 5 games.

i know you cant see it. you think Carolina and Atlanta let us come back. we were a couple of plays from winning those games.

can you see us scoring any points the rest of the year? cause you treat every week like its the Denver game all over again.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

yes i do think we will win at least 4 maybe 5 games.

Heres the thing......i totally hope you are right. I just dont see it. The patriots game with 2 weeks to prepare, adjust, and reset will tell us alot about this team going forward. I will be rooting for us 100 percent. I wan to get this train corrected so bad

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

26 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Heres the thing......i totally hope you are right. I just dont see it. The patriots game with 2 weeks to prepare, adjust, and reset will tell us alot about this team going forward. I will be rooting for us 100 percent. I wan to get this train corrected so bad

i agree with the Pats game. i really want to see how Zach does after he had his worst game of the year, maybe his life the last time he played them.

hey we won 2 games last year nobody thought we would... and could have beat the Raiders if it wasn't for Greg Williams. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Larz said:

If this is his best effort putting together a winning roster we’re ****ed 

It’s really just that simple 

We won't know what his best effort to put a winning roster together looks like until at LEAST another free agency period and the 2022 draft. It takes years to rebuild an awful roster. You don't have to like it, but that is just the way it is. We are closer to the beginning of the rebuild than the end.

It's really just that simple. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

We won't know what his best effort to put a winning roster together looks like until at LEAST another free agency period and the 2022 draft. It takes years to rebuild an awful roster. You don't have to like it, but that is just the way it is. We are closer to the beginning of the rebuild than the end.

It's really just that simple. 

I strongly disagree with this.  I think it takes 3 years to completely overhaul a roster. I know that the "Joe has had 3 years"  guys think that means this is the team he wanted.  I don't agree.  I think the new coach and the sh*tshow last year give him some more time.  To me, this is the feeling out year.  Next offseason they should make some serious moves and look to be truly competitive.   That will be very difficult if Wilson sucks, but that's his problem, not mine. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

2nd full year, You can't count a year where a full free agency period, and a draft took place from the previous GM. 

It's pretty ******* simple.  He's been the GM for about 29 months.  I don't really give a **** about the rest.  He has had 2 full drafts and FA periods.  Three mini-drafts.  He also had a ton of extra time to prepare for 2020 and he royally sh*t the bed.  I give him a bit of a mulligan because he is now crafting a team for a new staff, but they better not be a talentless mess this time next year. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

It's pretty ******* simple.  He's been the GM for about 29 months.  I don't really give a **** about the rest.  He has had 2 full drafts and FA periods.  Three mini-drafts.  He also had a ton of extra time to prepare for 2020 and he royally sh*t the bed.  I give him a bit of a mulligan because he is now crafting a team for a new staff, but they better not be a talentless mess this time next year. 

It's pretty simple. Two drafts. He didn't royally sh*t the bed with the 2020 draft, so there is always that.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I strongly disagree with this.  I think it takes 3 years to completely overhaul a roster. I know that the "Joe has had 3 years"  guys think that means this is the team he wanted.  I don't agree.  I think the new coach and the sh*tshow last year give him some more time.  To me, this is the feeling out year.  Next offseason they should make some serious moves and look to be truly competitive.   That will be very difficult if Wilson sucks, but that's his problem, not mine. 

Joe has had two years plus scraps of a year. 

14 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

It's pretty simple. Two drafts. He didn't royally sh*t the bed with the 2020 draft, so there is always that.

2020? Eh.  Maybe he didn't,, but it sure isn't looking very promising.

13 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Joe has had two years plus scraps of a year. 

Probably the best move he made was picking up Franklin-Myers during that scrap.  That's fair enough.  I am not a "HE'S HAD 3 YEARS!"  guy. but he has a decent amount of time to give the franchise direction and despite being near rock bottom, it is still not evident that the needle is pointing up.

6 hours ago, McNeil said:

If we're going to roast JD's missteps, we should also give him credit for his successes.

1) Case in point: Darnold. He's regressed to a mean, and some Carolina fans are calling for the back up to play. Granted Carolina has been without McCaffrey recent games. But look at the teams Carolina has defeated with Sam leading the way. Unimpressive. (Tho that was a great 4th quarter comeback he just led tying it).

Darnold was Macc's choice and right now it looks like Joe D made the right move trading him away. Does anyone see Darnold being a SB-winning QB? That's the goal after all.

2) The Jets defense has been shredded by injury particularly in the back end. But working with Saleh, JD has done a solid job shoring things up. If not for a historically anemic offense* perhaps the Jets are in a better position to win vs. Carolina and Atlanta.

3). *Offense: it has been horrifying, and the o-line has been bad. Here JD should be accurately scorched. Whether it's the Xs & Os and/or Jimmy & Joes, the buck stops with Douglas. He hired Saleh who in turn hired LaFleur. Together they've failed miserably at putting a good offensive product on the field.

4). JD was hired June 2019, after free agency and the draft. For all intents and purposes this is Year 2 of his tenure. To constantly state otherwise is a form of gaslighting.

In conclusion: I began a JD fan boy, I haven't been for some time. But before completely crucifying him let's be accurate in our assessments.

Can we stop giving JD credit for moving on from Darnold. Only a moron would have kept him and I was a huge supporter of his. The clock ran out. With the options in front of the Jets with this QB class and the second pick, moving on was a no brainer

Hopefully he didn't  screw that up.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

2020? Eh.  Maybe he didn't,, but it sure isn't looking very promising.

Probably the best move he made was picking up Franklin-Myers during that scrap.  That's fair enough.  I am not a "HE'S HAD 3 YEARS!"  guy. but he has a decent amount of time to give the franchise direction and despite being near rock bottom, it is still not evident that the needle is pointing up.

To me, it is evident that the needle is pointing up. We have an unpolished QB who has flashed at times. He is going to have more bad games, but he will get better with experience. His issues are with nerves, and not with lack of talent. The OL will improve when Becton returns and the rest of the line adjusts to a new blocking scheme. It's a BIG if, but a healthy Becton paired with AVT makes the left side of the line a force. His last injury was a fluke. The defense is better than could have been expected. Not great by any means, but playing well considering their inexperience and amount of time spent on the field. The defense is also playing well considering that their starting DE, back up DE, and starting safety were lost for the season, in addition to missing their starting LB for 6 weeks. 

Gut rebuilds are the least fun in the beginning.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

55 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

To me, it is evident that the needle is pointing up. We have an unpolished QB who has flashed at times. He is going to have more bad games, but he will get better with experience. His issues are with nerves, and not with lack of talent. The OL will improve when Becton returns and the rest of the line adjusts to a new blocking scheme. It's a BIG if, but a healthy Becton paired with AVT makes the left side of the line a force. His last injury was a fluke. The defense is better than could have been expected. Not great by any means, but playing well considering their inexperience and amount of time spent on the field. The defense is also playing well considering that their starting DE, back up DE, and s tarting safety were lost for the season, in addition to missing their starting LB for 6 weeks. 

Preaching to the choir brother. 

In case you hadn't noticed, I am probably the number proponent of patience around here.  The only thing I don't agree with is the that we know the needle is pointing up.  This is the way things look when you start from scratch even when things turn out great.  Thing is, they don't always get better, but I am hopeful.  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Can we stop giving JD credit for moving on from Darnold. Only a moron would have kept him 

in case you haven't notice there are a lot of morons on this site.

there in hiding the last 2 weeks but they were all over the place when he started 3-0

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This was actually a very big red flag for me with JD.

It's not just what you stated..but this guy was missing all pre-season...it wasn't a surprise.  And he didn't have a legitimate 2nd option in camp.

Not having legitimate second options a running theme with JD. Not sure if it’s arrogance, over confidence or incompetence.

11 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

JD came in 2019 and made PLENTY of roster moves. Starting with signing a kicker right before week 1 who never kicked in Metlife before. And wouldn't you guess it, Jets lose on a missed FG..

This coming after he signed a washed up center for 10 million dollars who never took a snap. But lets overlook 2019. 

2020 Draft Class is a disaster. 

His FA signing on Oline have been discussed in great length on here. Disaster.

Some reason he doesnt value the TE positon and we are a complete embarrassment at the TE position.

For all this talk of the D, the Falcons and Matt Ryan just shredded them. Darnold beat them, Mac Jones beat them, and the Broncos with future Hall of famer Teddy Bridgewater put 26 points on them. 

SO far, Elijiah Moore is a ghost, Carter the RB has 3.4 ypc. 

This team, this wild rookie experiment by JD isn't going well. He has not been a good GM. 

He shipped all talent for picks that havent panned out, see Leo for Davis trade.

Fire Joe

Devastating indictment 

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

You are right.  I apologize.  Now make sure the JD Defenders stay out of the Fire JD thread.  I’m counting on you. 

SAR I

How dare you invade homer safe space 

4 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

To me, it is evident that the needle is pointing up. We have an unpolished QB who has flashed at times. He is going to have more bad games, but he will get better with experience. His issues are with nerves, and not with lack of talent. The OL will improve when Becton returns and the rest of the line adjusts to a new blocking scheme. It's a BIG if, but a healthy Becton paired with AVT makes the left side of the line a force. His last injury was a fluke. The defense is better than could have been expected. Not great by any means, but playing well considering their inexperience and amount of time spent on the field. The defense is also playing well considering that their starting DE, back up DE, and starting safety were lost for the season, in addition to missing their starting LB for 6 weeks. 

You’re basically suggesting there will be a V shaped recovery. I don’t think so. This thing hasn’t shown even a hint of turning around.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Disagree.

As is your right. Another one I want on my jury if I'm ever on trial for murder and the prosecutor has a signed confession, DNA, video of me doing the crime, and a bus full of nuns as eye witnesses.

14 hours ago, JTJet said:

Yep. 

For those would-be lawyers proclaiming otherwise, when the league year started, i.e., when all the players are hired for the upcoming season (free agency, draft), JD was in year 2 of his contract. Year 3 of his contract started June of this year, after FA, after the draft.

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Preaching to the choir brother. 

In case you hadn't noticed, I am probably the number proponent of patience around here.  The only thing I don't agree with is the that we know the needle is pointing up.  This is the way things look when you start from scratch even when things turn out great.  Thing is, they don't always get better, but I am hopeful.  

If we don’t know which way the needle is pointing by now…

Put it this way. It’s hard to see it as anything but flat with the way last years draft class has contributed along with this years class through 5 games. I need to see some sort of spark from someone.

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If we don’t know which way the needle is pointing by now…

Put it this way. It’s hard to see it as anything but flat with the way last years draft class has contributed along with this years class through 5 games. I need to see some sort of spark from someone.

When 30 months has gotten you nothing but a punter and a guard after suffering through 5 years of sending your best players packing and the accumulation of all these premium draft picks and cap space you know things aren't going in the right direction.

Joe Douglas has one job-  pick players.  He's not good.  How much longer do we have to let him screw up the roster before we admit the mistake and get another GM in here?

SAR I