Let's Go Jets --- Game Day Thread (Bengals) -- Mike White here we go!

Maxman

Just now, Alentador31 said:

Why can't it be a combination of things? Lol Zach has talent, we tried to give him a shot. He was lighting it up all off-season. He clearly has the better arm talent. But he isn't ready and we have a back up that is. That is a win in my book. 

How dare you want nuanced, complicated analysis? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

Honestly, it's kinda hard for me to enjoy it because it just highlights how bad Wilson is right now.

I hear that.  I always thought there were way too many excuses being made for Wilson, with attempts to blame others even on plays that were clearly entirely his fault.  However, today was even more eye-opening considering how excessively little I expected out of this game going into it.

White has a minimum of one more game, so I'll root for him to keep this up and hope for the best from there.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alentador31 said:

Why can't it be a combination of things? Lol Zach has talent, we tried to give him a shot. He was lighting it up all off-season. He clearly has the better arm talent. But he isn't ready and we have a back up that is. That is a win in my book. 

I like Zach Wilson I do. But your backup QB, who hasn’t played a game in the NFL, doesn’t come out and throw for 400 plus yards in the same system and your starter had best come out and play better next time out. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Who needed this W more.  Douglas?  Saleh? Lafleur?  Or JN?

It was actually fun to watch the Jets on a Sunday afternoon.

We definitely seriously needed this.  One of the most enjoyable games to watch in quite some time.

While I'm not sure Saleh ever thought how others did about it, from at least a fan perspective it definitely says the most about LaFleur, who it seems might not have been as much of a problem as some were claiming.

Not sure how much it positively says about Douglas though if their backup who's been on the team 3 years now is better than the guy he just drafted #2 overall.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

How many more times does this have to be said? Mike LaFleur can't game plan for throws that land at the receiver's feet. Mike LaFleur wasn't the problem. 

Thank you so much.  People don’t want to admit what their lying eyes are telling them!

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

I like Zach Wilson I do. But your backup QB, who hasn’t play a game in the NFL, doesn’t come out and throw for 400 plus yards in the same system and your starter had best come out and play better next time out. 

It’s still a fourth year guy vs a rookie tho. White dink and dunked his way around the field and that’s what you hope a 4 year veteran can achieve against a team that couldn’t game plan for him. 

Mike White was still awesome today and hopefully Zach watches the tape and earns from it. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I hear that.  I always thought there were way too many excuses being made for Wilson, with attempts to blame others even on plays that were clearly entirely his fault.  However, today was even more eye-opening considering how excessively little I expected out of this game going into it.

White has a minimum of one more game, so I'll root for him to keep this up and hope for the best from there.

The one thing I'm holding on to is that this was the first game of Lafleur calling plays from the booth. Maybe that was a bigger difference maker than we realize, and once Wilson gets back, a more creative gameplan will help Wilson look better.

Unless Wilson demands that Lafleur come back onto the field with him, lol.

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

The one thing I'm holding on to is that this was the first game of Lafleur calling plays from the booth. Maybe that was a bigger difference maker than we realize, and once Wilson gets back, a more creative gameplan will help Wilson look better.

Maybe he can bring a snuggly, plush toy for Zack.   Keep him centered and comfy.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I will say it again.   This shows that Lefleur is not a nut bag, he isnt the real problem.   He’s learning but he is getting better and he is not the problem. 

I think there’s something to be said for a failure in the Jets asking a 1st year OC to break in a rookie. LaFleur needed an adjustment period to implement his offense, doing that while also teaching a rookie how to be an NFL player was a big ask. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

I'd be hopeful for that, but Wilson also needs to be taking some things from what he's seeing happening out there.  LaFleur calling from the booth might help, but it won't change whether Wilson is willing to go to underneath receivers, and with better ball placement allowing them to make plays after the catch.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1