The 2021 Jets Defense is historically bad

kevinc855

It’s funny.  When we went all offense I said to anyone that would listen at least now we can lose games 38-34 instead of 20-3.  Be exciting at least.  Of course that didn’t mean get down 38-13 and score 3 meaningless touchdowns because the opposing coach is a gentleman.  Nevertheless it turns out watching your team get manhandled on defense is almost as bad.  Not as bad but almost…

• Upvote 1

When I suggested trading QW everyone crucified me.  Don’t know where you people think the talent is.  Everyone loved foley and qw and OH MAN RANKINS such a good signing / there’s no talent. Mosely is about the closest thing on that defense with talent.  Stop expecting the 85 Bears and realize this is a team starting from rock bottom.  It’s not going to be pretty.

• Upvote 1

last in yards per game

27th passing yards given up per game

29th run yards given up per game

last in points given up per game

last in turnover differential

last in interceptions

Saleh is giving me Todd Bowles vibes as in he wants to be buddies with the players on defense and will make excuses and not take vets who are playing bad to account.

Just now, Beerfish said:

last in yards per game

27th passing yards given up per game

29th run yards given up per game

last in points given up per game

last in turnover differential

last in interceptions

Saleh is giving me Todd Bowles vibes as in he wants to be buddies with the players on defense and will make excuses and not take vets who are playing bad to account.

to the best of my knowledge, saleh has only called out players on offense.  bechton, mims, wilson come to mind.  has he actually called out anyone on defense?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

It’s funny.  When we went all offense I said to anyone that would listen at least now we can lose games 38-34 instead of 20-3.  Be exciting at least.  Of course that didn’t mean get down 38-13 and score 3 meaningless touchdowns because the opposing coach is a gentleman.  Nevertheless it turns out watching your team get manhandled on defense is almost as bad.  Not as bad but almost…

Knowing this fan base, the bold would have lasted 1-2 games anyway 

• Upvote 1

When you don’t draft a single edge rusher with your top pick in 20 years then funnily enough you end up with an historically bad defence….at least the first, if not both, top 10 picks next April should go on elite edge rushers, maybe Linderbaum or Green with the 2nd first rounder if either us as good as advertised but we need to replace stiffs like JFM with proper NFL talent 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Drums said:

The defense was definitely an embarrassment last night but at the same time, going into the season we knew any teams that had a good o-line were going to beat our defense up. We knew that going into the season before Lawson even got hurt. At least the offense is starting to show up. 

With that said, even with such a good o-line, the defensive effort was really bad. Mosley was SO BAD. Can't really name one player that looked all that good. They had that one drive where they forced 17 fumbles but it still led to a TD. 

And finally, Carson Wentz sucks and even after last night he still sucks.

It's kinda hard to judge the LB play in a 4-3 scheme when the DL plays that horribly bad. The OL was blocking all the way to the second and third level on almost every running play so Mosley always had a blocker in his face. It's the DLs job to free up the LBs on running plays and screens. Also, much blame goes to the DC for not making adjustments and having the whole defense look unprepared.

• Upvote 2

On 11/4/2021 at 11:15 PM, kevinc855 said:

130 points allowed in last 3 games 

Not one game holding an opponent 17 or under

Bad tackling 

No pressure

JFM stole money

The secondary sucks, stop telling me otherwise  

Historically?  Lol.  Another Kevin gem

Saleh is the problem. Even LaFleur had made major adjustments since Zach went down (play calling has changed dramatically over the past two games, moved upstairs.) 

Saleh “you should see how good we are in practice” makes no adjustments. Not sure if he is stubborn or clueless or both. 

He is the problem. I believe the offense will turn around quicker than the defense. Until he is gone it will be more of the same. 

Sigh. Why this D is doing the things it is doing right now.  Suffice it to say we have a new coach and D system that we are  beginning to acquire players specifically for.  So right now they are playing a certain way to avoid a certain outcome.  Unfortunately, while protecting that, it also leaves other vulnerabilities.  So no deep balls against young DB's = everything underneath is always open.  Now, when CJ and QW had those huge games, they were catching that guy after he caught the ball at the line.  Or the d-line were making that tfl on the run or an LB/S were coming up and stuffing runs.  But if that 1 guy missed, as they are more and more often now, esp as guys get hurt or when the smaller kid db/lb's were playing, those underneath passes don't get tackled and the DB's are 15 yards away still running the other direction before they notice what happened.  I personally would like to see them tighten it up a bit for the player skillset and not have everyone bailing out while the line straight rushes 4 dead ahead.  Gimme some stunts.  I'm tired of seeing the D-line look like a bunch of fat guys at a Waltz contest.Let the young CB's play a little more and give the LB's some freedom in the middle to keep the flat clear without having to play at a ProBowler* level to keep from losing by 50.

*everybody know the best linebackers are professional bowlers?  Perhaps I meant AllPro...