Our only chance to be good

JohnnyLV

14 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

If you really think about it the Jets really only have one chance to be good over the next 3 years and that is for Zach Wilson to emerge. If that does not happen, in 3 years Saleh will be fired and Woody will hire the next hot defensive coordinator as head coach. Zach needs to basically put the team on his back despite the crappy coaching and make it happen.

At that point, if Saleh is fired we're back to the next hot offensive coordinator, Woody would do a 180

• Upvote 1

If you really think about it the Jets really only have one chance to be good over the next 3 years and that is for Zach Wilson to emerge. If that does not happen, in 3 years Saleh will be fired and Woody will hire the next hot defensive coordinator as head coach. Zach needs to basically put the team on his back despite the crappy coaching and make it happen.

Our best chance to be good is to have the guts to give Wilson the Josh Rosen treatment at the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 4

58 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Our best chance to be good is to have the guts to give Wilson the Josh Rosen treatment at the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I think we need to make all of these judgements in January after the season is over.  Could be correct, but let's see how the Jets do against teams more their level.    The Bills and Patriots were always going to be bad games. 

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Bills and Patriots were always going to be bad games. 

Now, maybe some people knew that but there were plenty who were convinced that "limited" Mac Jones was going to faceplant and Pats were "ripe for the slaughter."

We're back to jgb's plan if Zach doesn't show a step forward. Credible, young-ish FA/trade QB with at least some theoretical upside as QB2.

Trubisky will go somewhere next year with expectation of being the starter. Sitting here now, I'd make a play for Minshew. Don't think he's been active all season for Iggles.

• Upvote 1

Ah JET fandom at work again... Sure, let's dump our #2 pick because the kid has had some bad games to start his NFL career. The OP is correct, our best chance to be good is if the light bulb in Zach's head went on and he understands, that he's not at BYU and he needs to hit the open receiver, and not try for the big play all the time. I believe he will get that.

Next, I like JD, and think he is not as bad as some make him out to be, however that said, he does need to hit some FA's next off season. I believe he did a decent job in this draft, and I believe he will do a decent job in next years as well. The key to getting better is to convince top tier FA's to get on board as well. I get that's going to be very difficult the way we've played so far this year, so it's on Saleh to make the 2nd half of the season something much better than the 1st. Pepe LaFleur seems to be getting better, now Ulbrich needs to do his part. Saleh, also needs some self reflection on his style as well. Quiet confidence isn't working for him at this time. Nobody says he needs to start a yelling spree, but let's see some of that All Gas / No Brakes he keeps talking about from him on the sidelines.

6 hours ago, jgb said:

We're back to jgb's plan if Zach doesn't show a step forward. Credible, young-ish FA/trade QB with at least some theoretical upside as QB2.

Trubisky will go somewhere next year with expectation of being the starter. Sitting here now, I'd make a play for Minshew. Don't think he's been active all season for Iggles.

If minshews was a first round pick and put up the numbers he did he would still be a starter in this league IMO 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

I think the chance for us to be good actually depends on Douglas spending the money in Free Agency. Bring so much real talent that is quite literally impossible for the Jets to be bad. Stop trying to impress your parents with bargain basement deals. 

Brandon Shell on a one year deal you say?

10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

i partly disagree.  true there chance lies in getting the qb situation straightened out.  but if wilson emerges then this team has a chance to become great.  if he doesn't they can still be good.  we've seen white and johnson and even flacco move the team with the offense as it currently is.  get some more oline help and a true no. 1 receiver and even a monkey can run the offense.

it's hard to see the forest for the trees because there are still so many parts needing upgrade and depth but it can happen.

saleh?  this is all in his court.  he has to figure this out.

If Zach busts, yea we are pretty screwed.

JD has to go all out this offseason. He’s finally feeling some pressure and I think that’s good. This 6 year rebuild sh*t nonsense is no longer a thing. We have to get better next year. 

Just to much bad football for everyone. It’s exhausting. There is no excuses next year with all the picks and money not to look a whole lot better.

But as OP says is Zach continues to suck, yea we are screwed 

10 hours ago, jgb said:

I tend to agree.  If Zach doesn’t show much improvement over the next 8 games, then you absolutely should go out and bring in a Minshew this off season.   Have a legit competition.   This notion of wasting 3 years and drafting another kid is futile.  You’ll never develop the rest of the team, nor will the team learn how to win.  Cant keep rolling out a bad QB just because of draft position, this has proven to be a failing approach.  

1 hour ago, Uncle Nicco said:

Yes because Mac Jones is the reason we lost those games. Another JGB gem. 

Why should I defend the terrible (and now proven wholly incorrect) argument foisted by others?

Speaking of gems, nico -- people who live in the sewer shouldn't throw turds.

11 hours ago, GloryDays1985 said:

I think you are going to see an incredibly aggressive approach from Douglas in the off-season. He knows he can’t survive another season like this. 

I have my doubts. He may sign a CB, S, LB or OL, but I would not bet on him signing more than 2 starters at those position. JD is committed to building through the draft; Building through the draft takes time; And he has a patient and understanding ownership group. 

I think the real change is going to be on the coaching staff. Ulrich does not survive this if the D doesn't become competent by the end of the season. And I think that Douglas will explain to Saleh that there is a great benefit to having more experienced coaches on his staff. The Jets have 10 coaches with 3 years or less experience. TEN! That is 43% of the coaching staff. In the NFL experience is everything. These are the guys you have teaching the players and so many of them are still wet behind the ears. 

Everyone wanted to crap on Dan Campbell after his bizarro press conferences, But that guy knew how to put a staff together.  Heck, he even has Dom Capers as a Senior Defensive Assistant. The Lions may be winless, but with few exceptions they are competitive in their games and are well-coached. If it weren't for Jared Godawful Goff they'd probably have 4 or 5 wins.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

I think the chance for us to be good actually depends on Douglas spending the money in Free Agency. Bring so much real talent that is quite literally impossible for the Jets to be bad. Stop trying to impress your parents with bargain basement deals. 

Jets had $24 million in dead cap space. Do you really think he would have spent a bit more if he had that $24 million at his disposal? Who was JD supposed to overpay? Should he have given Joe Thuney a ridiculously large contract to get a couple of years of elite play and a few years of mediocre play? He got $80 million from the Chiefs. Should we have given him $90 million? Did he not sign Corey Davis, Sheldon Rankins, and Carl Lawson? Not exactly bargain basement deals. When you spend just for the sake of spending, you get the 2015 Jets, but you also get the 2016 Jets, the 2017 Jets, etc.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

If minshews was a first round pick and put up the numbers he did he would still be a starter in this league IMO 

This is undoubtedly inaccurate.

Minshew's numbers are irrelevant.  He is has a very limited skill-set for which teams have learned how to defend.

In today's NFL you need top, explosive QB's to consistently win.  Game managers aren't winning Super Bowls, which is why there's so much QB turnover.

Minshew is a fine back up - and can come in and win a game or two if a starting QB goes down.  

Teams are now moving on quickly from Mediocre - with a mediocre QB you will languish in mediocrity.  No NFL team wants that.

I know, as Jet fans, mediocrity would be a massive upgrade - but there's also a reason we're not running with a mediocre QB.  The Jets are doing this right - now ZW may or may not figure it out - but it's the far better to take this route - than starting a Gardner Minshew type and winning 6 to 8 games every year.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, johnnysd said:

The only chance Zach has to be good is if we get rid of the sunk cost of hiring an inexperienced coaching staff that's in over their head.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Minshew's numbers are irrelevant.  He is has a very limited skill-set for which teams have learned how to defend.

In today's NFL you need top, explosive QB's to consistently win.  Game managers aren't winning Super Bowls, which is why there's so much QB turnover.

Minshew is a fine back up - and can come in and win a game or two if a starting QB goes down.  

Teams are now moving on quickly from Mediocre - with a mediocre QB you will languish in mediocrity.  No NFL team wants that.

I know, as Jet fans, mediocrity would be a massive upgrade - but there's also a reason we're not running with a mediocre QB.  The Jets are doing this right - now ZW may or may not figure it out - but it's the far better to take this route - than starting a Gardner Minshew type and winning 6 to 8 games every year.

Why do people look at mediocre players to be their savior? Minshew is a fine back up, but this idea that he is the answer is laughable. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The only chance Zach has to be good is if we get rid of the sunk cost of hiring an inexperienced coaching staff that's in over their head.  

You know what this coaching staff will be in 2022 and 2023? An experienced coaching staff. 

Kliff Kingsbury - 5-10-1 in first season with rookie QB. Do you think that he should have been canned?

Bill Parcells - 3-12-1 

Bill Belichick - 6-10

Andy Reid - 5-11

Bill Walsh - 2-14

Jimmy Johnson - 1-15

Tom Coughlin - 4-12

Chuck Knoll - 1-13

Tony Dungy - 6-10

Tom Landry - 0-11-1

Marv Leavy - 4-12

Dick Vermeil - 4-10

Looks like the greatest coaches of all time may have been inexperienced in their first year, like every first year head coach in the existence of sports.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The best chance for us to be good is sitting Wilson the rest of the year. Fix the personal issues that plague the team. I was rooting for White, not because I was anti Wilson. It was because I saw Wilson getting into some of the bad QB habits that Darnold had. Darnold should have sat for a year, maybe two. Same goes for Wilson

14 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Right. Cuz that's worked for us so many times.  lol 

Draft Draft Draft. Zach will be fine. @johnnysd is right.  This regime put their faith in Zach and he needs to be good for us to be good.  ?

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

On what planet does Sam Darnold deserve to have a starting job in the nfl opposed to minshew other than the aura of a first round talent? First round players are given plenty of chances. 

Just now, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

On what planet does Sam Darnold deserve to have a starting job in the nfl opposed to minshew other than the aura of a first round talent? First round players are given plenty of chances. 

Sam won't start after this year.

Sam has a top flight starter skill-set, so he got more a chance, but it's now clear he doesn't have it between the ears.  

He got this year to prove it - there was a lot of thought that it was the Jets organization holding him back.  Sam's time as a starter is finished after this year.

Point is, it's not about draft position, it's about talent level and potential.  It just so happens that the people with the better natural skill-set often get drafted earlier - so, naturally they'll get more of a chance.