Jets Sign a Kicker Cut a LB

jetsrule128

Kicker Alex Kessman — one of the Chargers 10 undrafted free agents signed this year — was named by Bleacher Report’s Brent Sobleski as the UDFA most-likely to make the team’s initial 53-man roster.

The Jets have signed K Alex Kessman to the practice squad and release LB Corey Thompson.

Kessman (6-3, 190) signed with the Chargers in May as an undrafted free agent out of Pitt. He played with the Panthers from 2017-20 and ranked third in school history with 341 points. He made 69 of 96 field goals (71.9%) and 134 of 138 extra points (97.1%). He set Pitt records for 50-yard field goals in a career (12) and season (4 in both 2018 and 2020), and his 66.7% rate from 50-plus yards set an NCAA record. Kessman, from Clarkstown, MI, earned second-team All-ACC honors and was named a semifinalist for the Lou Groza Award.

Thompson (6-1, 222) signed with the Green & White practice squad Nov. 16. He originally signed with the Bills in 2018 as an undrafted free agent out of LSU where he played both linebacker and safety. He had 21 tackles, 2 tackles for loss, 1 QB hit and 1 forced fumble in 18 games.

• Upvote 1

I just never thought Amendola proved himself in pre-season and he's been unreliable during regular season. A team like the Jets has to have a good kicker since scoring points and staying in games isn't a strong point. They need all of the help they can get and if a kicker misses attempts it's hard to stay in a game. Esp when the team is inconsistent in terms of red zone scoring. Having a good placekicker is worth the extra money. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

The Jets have signed K Alex Kessman to the practice squad and release LB Corey Thompson.

Kessman (6-3, 190) signed with the Chargers in May as an undrafted free agent out of Pitt. He played with the Panthers from 2017-20 and ranked third in school history with 341 points. He made 69 of 96 field goals (71.9%) and 134 of 138 extra points (97.1%). He set Pitt records for 50-yard field goals in a career (12) and season (4 in both 2018 and 2020), and his 66.7% rate from 50-plus yards set an NCAA record. Kessman, from Clarkstown, MI, earned second-team All-ACC honors and was named a semifinalist for the Lou Groza Award.

Nice find.  Thanks for sharing.  The info on 50+ yard kicks is especially interesting.  So far, Ammendola is a perfect 9-9 inside 40 yards, but 2-7 from 40+ including 0 for 3 at 50+.  Which means we have needed to get inside the 25 to have a reasonable chance at scoring points.  May as well give Kessman a chance to kick this week.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, undertow said:

Finding a solid kicker shouldn't be this difficult. 

It's simple:

Trade the whole roster and all the picks to the Ravens for Justin Tucker

the cut Amendola, Fire JD and Saleh, and trade Zach and our Defense plus all of those picks (None of which we have anymore) to the Texans for Watson

17-0 here we come!

• Sympathy 1

Jets fans are way too obsessed with this kicker nonsense.

Outside of the rare dudes like Adam Vinatieri and Justin Tucker, where are these consistent placekickers that routinely average around 90% of their attempts for a solid decade or more?

It’s the most fickle position in the NFL and always has been.

Guys can go from pro-bowler one year to on the verge of being completely out of the league less than 2 years later.

Ammendola has been inconsistent but I still wouldn’t feel uncomfortable with him attempting a 60+ yard FG at some point this season. The kids accuracy may be jumpy but there’s no doubt that he has Janikowski-esque drive on kickoffs and FG attempts.

Hell, the 56 yard miss on Sunday hit the post 3/4 of the way up.

I wouldn’t cut him right away. Especially after what we saw him offer as a punter when Mann first went down.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I just never thought Amendola proved himself in pre-season and he's been unreliable during regular season. A team like the Jets has to have a good kicker since scoring points and staying in games isn't a strong point. They need all of the help they can get and if a kicker misses attempts it's hard to stay in a game. Esp when the team is inconsistent in terms of red zone scoring. Having a good placekicker is worth the extra money. 

Kicking and Punting are crucial for terrible teams.  We should draft that SDSU punter.  I am only half joking.  I watched a SDSU game earlier this year and I'm not sure I've ever seen a punter with a bigger leg even in the NFL.

4 hours ago, Hex said:

It's simple:

Trade the whole roster and all the picks to the Ravens for Justin Tucker

the cut Amendola, Fire JD and Saleh, and trade Zach and our Defense plus all of those picks (None of which we have anymore) to the Texans for Watson

17-0 here we come!

On the thought of you not running the team:

Praise the Lord - My Weakness His Strength

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Jets fans are way too obsessed with this kicker nonsense.

Outside of the rare dudes like Adam Vinatieri and Justin Tucker, where are these consistent placekickers that routinely average around 90% of their attempts for a solid decade or more?

It’s the most fickle position in the NFL and always has been.

Guys can go from pro-bowler one year to on the verge of being completely out of the league less than 2 years later.

Ammendola has been inconsistent but I still wouldn’t feel uncomfortable with him attempting a 60+ yard FG at some point this season. The kids accuracy may be jumpy but there’s no doubt that he has Janikowski-esque drive on kickoffs and FG attempts.

Hell, the 56 yard miss on Sunday hit the post 3/4 of the way up.

I wouldn’t cut him right away. Especially after what we saw him offer as a punter when Mann first went down.

You keep looking for kickers until you find one, you and douglas have the same mind set.  ho hum, we can just trot out anyone and they will do.  His misses hurt the jets in that last game.

And almost kicks being credited are like leos almost sacks.  Having a big leg means dick if you can put it between the pipes.

Mann sucks as well, he is worse than both amendola and morstead.

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You keep looking for kickers until you find one, you and douglas have the same mind set.  ho hum, we can just trot out anyone and they will do.  His misses hurt the jets in that last game.

And almost kicks being credited are like leos almost sacks.  Having a big leg means dick if you can put it between the pipes.

Mann might not be that bad.

look at the last game. he had only 38 yd avg. but 3 of the 4 kicks were inside the 20.

1st punt went only 38 yds... but it went to the 14 yd line. 

2nd punt went 43 yds to the 8 yd line.

3rd punt went 33 yds to the 10 yd line.

4th punt went 38 yds to the 49. yeah that was a bad one.

so he finishes with an avg of only 38 yds which is horrible. but hes doing his job. putting it inside the 20. he could have kicked it out of the end zone to get his avg up but that would hurt the team.

and the week before he avg 45 yds. and 4 out of 8 punts were inside the 20. Morestead had 7 inside the 20.

it actually sucks for punters in that sense when you have to hold up on your kicks to get it inside the 20 to do whats best for the team... but it kills your avg in doing it.

i know he was bad last year but im just saying. he could be better than we think.

and his one punt before he got hurt went 56 yds.

16 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I think the coaching staff fell in love with his big leg. If he gets more accurate, 60 yard FGs would be the norm. 

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Even some of the best teams in the league are shuffling kickers late in the season every single year.

Again, point out where all of these great kickers are throughout the league besides Tucker…

For the most part, they’re interchangeable. The vast majority of these guys average between 75-80% on their FG attempts and can become shaky and go through a cold spell at the drop of a hat. Everyone’s favorite Jason Myers is hitting at 69% so far this year.