Honest question--how does this defense get fixed?

Peace Frog

The team has to change hands to an owner that is ready willing and able to hire a competent GM and then, stay out of his/her way. 

Until that occurs, the Jets are going to be a franchise that fields a football team that loses on the field, loses regularly and loses soundly.  

Just now, THE BARON said:

The team has to change hands to an owner that is ready willing and able to hire a competent GM and then, stay out of his/her way. 

Until that occurs, the Jets are going to be a franchise that fields a football team that loses on the field, loses regularly and loses soundly.  

It does seem Woody is staying out of JD's way. FA period will be a huge indicator if this is the case. If we sign a kicker from the Premier League, then we know Woody is back in the cockpit

Crash Plane GIF

Look what TJ watt does for Pittsburg. We need a line that can penetrate and some linebackers that can tackle. The issue with building through the draft is that most take a few years to develop. They aren’t all going to be Micah parsons. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

He might be staying out of his way, but JD is not the right guy.  Given how long JD has been in his position with the Jets and considering the roster the Jets have, any reasonable onlooker should conclude that JD has been a disaster.   Nothing about the roster looks good.  After two seasons, there should at least be a good part of the roster in place.  The Jets roster is a scrub roster and other than AVT, JD's top draft picks look like absolute duds. 

I think the roster -- at least on offense -- is much better than it appears. I won't go into what's missing there because this isn't the right thread for that.

If we can get Edge1 or Edge 2 we have to take him. Otherwise, I like Neal. He's an elite talent. 

There are some terrific LB's in this draft, IMO, our biggest need. My favorite is Dean but Lloyd is a very good player and the Penn State kid ain't bad either.

I'm not a fan of Stingley or Hamilton., although we do need Safety help. Think we can find Secondary talent later in the draft or in FA.

55 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

4. The last line of defense, our safeties, take horrible angles and can't tackle anyone. In fact, the whole team stinks at tackling.

Long story short, Saleh's scheme only works if you have the exact perfect personnel to run it. We are a long way away from that. 

Agree. Unfortunately this reflects negatively on Salah.

When the whole team stinks at tackling it's not the players - it's the coaching, poor technique and more importantly the HC doesn't hold the players accountable.

Salah does not have the personnel to run his desired scheme and is unwilling or worse unable to adapt his system to the players he has now.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

Ashtyn Davis won't tackle anyone. Mosley is the Jets leading tackler although it is mostly five yards beyond the LOS.

leading tackler for what he did Week 1 and 2, but he hasnt tackled well at all in many weeks; dont look now but Davis, though he may never be a great player, has 2 interceptions so far this season

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

If they do not change the scheme to some extent no number of shiny new players will help.  The scheme stinks.

Our dline is not bad, we have good players there that are looking bad.  The lbs and safeties stink for sure but teams should not be able to get to them so easily.

Like every scheme if you have multiple pro bowlers at the highest impact positions, it works.

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

So do we convert Sherwood and Hamsah back to Safety?

Fix two problems at once?  They obvioulsy liked the players, why not just put them back at their natural position and load up on LBs that weigh more than 220?

yes 100%

i dont know why there not back there now to see if there any good. its not like you have to train them for a new position

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

A guy over at Jet X wrote a great piece on this a while back.  His point was Ullbrich is from the Pete Carroll/Dan Quinn tree and is relying on what he saw with the Legion of Boom.  Problem is that defense was only effective when it had five Pro Bowlers playing for it.  Dudes like Chancellor, Sherman etc. left or got old and the scheme failed...

thats what i read. @BCJet posted it. it was really good reading

Defensive Scheme (part XII) - ***Savage69 NY Jets Forum*** - JetNation.com

• Sympathy 1

The Jets need at least one EDGE, which can be Lawson returning (for 1-2 years) and 4-5 LBS and Ss.  Sherwood and Hamsah are likely backups, and I agree if we can convert Hamsah back to a S, that would be a good thing.

A Davis is not a safety for this defense.  He can be a backup.  Sherwood and Hamsah are also backups.  ‘

So if the Jets can take Kayvon or Hutchinson, they should do that.  Otherwise I would trade down because there are so, so, so many other needs.  

2 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Send them to tackling college.

F9E2F160-B707-4467-A625-91CDEB946CC8.thumb.png.2ecc143c1b12d2d2fbd366411a0ad6e2.png

At the risk of being told the another joke went over my head today, this is from a government of Singapore website (I lived in Singapore). They speak the queen's English. Wrong football :) 

4 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I’m googling from Canada…I blame the Queen.

Speaking of Canada, I've become obsessed with The Fifth Estate. The episode on the interrogation of Col. Russell Williams by Det. Jim Smyth was one of the most masterful takedowns I've ever seen in my life. Anyone interested in true crime, this is worth the watch:

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Speaking of Canada, I've become obsessed with The Fifth Estate. The episode on the interrogation of Col. Russell Williams by Det. Jim Smyth was one of the most masterful takedowns I've ever seen in my life. Anyone interested in true crime, this is worth the watch:

That show has been at it for close to fifty years. Just journalism. No political angle. That’s the CBC.
Off topic, it reminds of the time when I had an American buddy over and the  CBC newhour was on. After watching something like 5 minutes, I remember him saying was, “ my God, these guys actually report the news!”

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

That show has been at it for close to fifty years. Just journalism. No political angle. That’s the CBC.
Off topic, it reminds of the time when I had an American buddy over and the  CBC newhour was on. After watching something like 5 minutes, I remember him saying was, “ my God, these guys actually report the news!”

It's refreshing. I usually fall asleep with an episode on my headphones to not disturb my better half.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Wit said:

Look what TJ watt does for Pittsburg. We need a line that can penetrate and some linebackers that can tackle. The issue with building through the draft is that most take a few years to develop. They aren’t all going to be Micah parsons. 

Look at where the Steelers and Cowboys picked TJ Watts and Parsons.  Lower than 10.  The Jets are going to pick top 5 and top 10 in this draft.  They need someone who can have an defensive impact like that, or like Devin White, or Roquan Smith.  Becton was picked at 11.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

1. Salehs system is trash, Ulbrich calls terrible games, and Saleh is too stubborn to address either issue. 

I really think this is true.  Look at the other NE teams and the defenses they play.   They are tough and intimidate people.  

16 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

1. Salehs system is trash, Ulbrich calls terrible games, and Saleh is too stubborn to address either issue. 

2. Our LBS suck

3. We have no Pass rushers

4. The tackling has regressed to pop Warner level bad.

Other than all that, Mrs. Lincoln….how was the play?

• Haha 1

Joe D has to go big game hunting in free agency and bring in play makers. Acknowledge and accept that you're going to have to pay the Jet tax and pay it. Stay away from players with injury history and bring in defenders who will help generate turnovers. Jets need to sign a day 1 defensive back and bring in a stud- J.C Jackson, Jessie Bates, or Marcus Williams are the 1st that come to mind. 

• Post of the Week 1