Trevor Lawrence afraid to steamroll Brandin Echols on final drive

Nonsense.

He was literally being criticised early in the season for running into hits way too often. In college he took loads of big hits to the point where it was being flagged as a potential hazard at this level.

He’s probably had it drilled into him to not force contact, especially in a dead season. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

I've lost all respect for Lawrence on that play..Scott, Colon and Douzable all called him out at the top of the postgame show...a much bigger athlete in Lawrence with a full head of steam afraid to take on a much smaller Echols who was standing still at basically the 2 yard line and instead runs out of bounds....that would have been the game winning play if he didn't lose his balls...I was a fan of Lawrence, no more. 

Since Jacksonville had no more time-outs , Lawrence made the right move . If he gets stopped , game over .

• Upvote 1

Big scheme of things, it's not a big deal. He was trying to be smart and stop the clock but over thought it because yeah....he probably crushes Echols and goes in for six. 

However, if he was wearing Jets green this place would have been insufferable for weeks - Jets fans love tea leaves and leading indicators as long as they foretell doom or sunnier weather.

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I don't think he was going to score on that even if he did try to take on Echols. Just my opinion. Maybe, but who knows. 

The big mistake on that drive was the spike on 3rd down. That killed them.

Schotty calling a run play with 40 seconds left and no timeouts when they were still at the Jets 40 (or around there) was pretty bad too.

Yes that run call was a wtf? moment until I realized it was schotty making the calls. 

• Upvote 3

Geez kid doesnt take a hit in a lost season . He must be soft ...

I think he was schooled before the game. ... dont take any crazy risks with your body, not worth it ... and not worth risking our locked up draft position.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I think Trevor Lawrence looks much better when he gets a real offense and offensive coordinator.  It looked to me like he was playing NFL QB-more so than ZW.  

ZW did what he needed to do to win the game, and he was playing with less than TL was.    I think the Jets thought it was more important for ZW to show progress than the Jags thought it important for TL to show progress. 

• Upvote 1

I almost made this very same post other than he had a cutback lane, and didn't even have to go through him.  

The reason I didn't was he may have thought it was smart to go out of bounds due to the clock situation.  If he doesn't get in, they may not have the time.

However, I did have a post in the game day thread that I deleted saying almost the same thing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, frankiepapa said:

Not making excuses for the guy but had he taken on Echols and ended up getting tackled short of the goal line, was there enough time for them to get off another play?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Here is the video for all to see...if he were tackled it would have occurred at the 30 second mark..plenty of time to regroup...this is clearly a play that has to question his toughness by running out of bounds when he had only to take on Echols to score..this is not the QB of Clemson days.  

https://www.jaguars.com/video/highlight-lawrence-s-scramble-of-26-yards-gets-jacksonville-into-the-red-zone

A slight juke, and he likely doesn't take a big hit, and his momentum takes him into the end zone.

The correct "business decision" there was to get the game winning TD in the closing seconds of the 4th quarter.  Come on people, he's not trying to run over Ray Lewis in his prime here.  It's a 175 lb. cornerback.

• Upvote 3

So I just watched it again, and yes, there were 30 seconds left when he stepped out. 

The more I watch it, the more I think I was wrong for thinking he made a bad decision there. I honestly thought there was less time left, the 30 seconds thing works in TL’s favor here imo.

a. I don’t think he gets in the end zone. I’m not sure if he couldn’t have gone OB if he tried and failed though? Getting stopped a yard or two short inbounds would have put them in a bad spot.

b. By doing what he did, he stopped the clock, and the Jags still had enough time left to run 4 plays to win the game.

c. I won’t kill a rookie for maybe making a mistake in a situation like that, no matter what he did. Things are happening fast and he’s trying to think on the fly.

d. Whether it was a good or bad play is fair and fun debate, hell, I’m not sure how to categorize it. My issue is with the self professed Clemson “fan” denouncing him for it and saying “he lost his balls”.

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I don't think he was going to score on that even if he did try to take on Echols. Just my opinion. Maybe, but who knows. 

Schotty calling a run play with 40 seconds left and no timeouts when they were still at the Jets 40 (or around there) was pretty bad too.

Long live the schotteneheimers and their terrible playcalling. 

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

So I just watched it again, and yes, there were 30 seconds left when he stepped out. 

The more I watch it, the more I think I was wrong for thinking he made a bad decision there. I honestly thought there was less time left, the 30 seconds thing works in TL’s favor here imo.

a. I don’t think he gets in the end zone. I’m not sure if he couldn’t have gone OB if he tried and failed though? Getting stopped a yard or two short inbounds would have put them in a bad spot.

b. By doing what he did, he stopped the clock, and the Jags still had enough time left to run 4 plays to win the game.

c. I won’t kill a rookie for maybe making a mistake in a situation like that, no matter what he did. Things are happening fast and he’s trying to think on the fly.

d. Whether it was a good or bad play is fair and fun debate, hell, I’m not sure how to categorize it. My issue is with the self professed Clemson “fan” denouncing him for it and saying “he lost his balls”.

If you don't think he gets in the end zone then you clearly aren't paying attention...reality check, this is the NFL now, not Clemson...I root for Clemson the university, not individual athletes..on Sunday he was an opponent and subject to analysis on an NFL level...it's that simple. I did think that he would be an impact player in the game and would run for 2 touchdowns based upon what I have seen previously watching in person at Death Valley...in those days, at 6'6" 220 lbs he didn't shy away from a 175 lbs cornerback with the game on the line..he ran them over..what he did on Sunday on that play will be on the radar of every defensive coordinator in the league going forward...and that's a fact. 

1 hour ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

If you don't think he gets in the end zone then you clearly aren't paying attention...reality check, this is the NFL now, not Clemson...I root for Clemson the university, not individual athletes..on Sunday he was an opponent and subject to analysis on an NFL level...it's that simple. I did think that he would be an impact player in the game and would run for 2 touchdowns based upon what I have seen previously watching in person at Death Valley...in those days, at 6'6" 220 lbs he didn't shy away from a 175 lbs cornerback with the game on the line..he ran them over..what he did on Sunday on that play will be on the radar of every defensive coordinator in the league going forward...and that's a fact. 

The Jaguars will be enjoying a top 2 player in the draft and TL did not risk getting hurt and did not risk not getting in and having the clock run out.  He made the right decision, on that play.  

If the Jaguars were even slightly better and playing to win, then he should have gone for it. 

4 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The stupid TE not getting his ass off the field and burning a timeout because of an ouchy ankle. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

I've lost all respect for Lawrence on that play..Scott, Colon and Douzable all called him out at the top of the postgame show...a much bigger athlete in Lawrence with a full head of steam afraid to take on a much smaller Echols who was standing still at basically the 2 yard line and instead runs out of bounds....that would have been the game winning play if he didn't lose his balls...I was a fan of Lawrence, no more.  

Here is the video.

https://www.jaguars.com/video/highlight-lawrence-s-scramble-of-26-yards-gets-jacksonville-into-the-red-zone

I was saying all he had to do was juke him towards the sideline and then cut back, and he was in the endzone...

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Lol that escalated quickly huh?

trust me, I’ve lived in SC over 10 years now, I’m not a big Clemson fan, but that guy isn’t either. People down here take their college ball seriously, and are loyal to the end.

This guy’s a front running poser.

I bartended in both TDs and the Tiger Town Tavern in Clemson after the Army. Great, fun College town.

But F Clemson Football.  ? 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, oatmeal said:

It was a shot during the game where they cutt to Lawrence sitting on the bench and the dude literally had his legs crossed looking at the tablet…

Definitely a top 10 feminine athlete moment ??

I hope your point is that his legs were crossed at the knee and not at ankles as otherwise, no point...

On another note, I still remember the VERY first time I saw video and pics of Trevor...

To this day, the guy looks like an alien or something bred from a tube.

5 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

This is dumb. There is no way I want my franchise QB “steamrolling” a defender any defender unless it’s to win an important playoff implication or playoff game. 

steam rolling. 

Game is on the line you have to beat one guy who is 40 pounds lighter than you if you don;t want to lower a shoulder and have big contact at least try and get in the endzone.  Watch the play again, he should have scored or done his best to score.

How does a guy like Robinson who wrecks his Achilles in this game and who runs hard all the time think of his QB.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I bartended in both TDs and the Tiger Town Tavern in Clemson after the Army. Great, fun College town.

But F Clemson Football.  ? 

I’ve never been to that part of the state, and I’m a Cuse fan, so I could care less about Dabo and his holier than thou schtick. 
I just think it’s hysterical that the guy claiming to have an orange paw tattooed on his a** is the one calling Lawrence gutless on a Jets message board.

The guy won’t quit either, he keeps digging a deeper hole.
You tended bar in that town, I’m sure you learned fast the real football fans down here don’t play around when it comes to college ball. They take this s**t serious. The last thing they are is front runners. They’d hate this guy.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

steam rolling. 

Game is on the line you have to beat one guy who is 40 pounds lighter than you if you don;t want to lower a shoulder and have big contact at least try and get in the endzone.  Watch the play again, he should have scored or done his best to score.

How does a guy like Robinson who wrecks his Achilles in this game and who runs hard all the time think of his QB.

I doubt Trevor is 40 pounds heavier than Echols (Trevor looks like he’s down under 215, Echols over 180) and Trevor’s mass is spread out over 6-6, not 5-10. He’s rail thin.

No reason to put yourself at risk there. 

6 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

I’ve never been to that part of the state, and I’m a Cuse fan, so I could care less about Dabo and his holier than thou schtick. 
I just think it’s hysterical that the guy claiming to have an orange paw tattooed on his a** is the one calling Lawrence gutless on a Jets message board.

The guy won’t quit either, he keeps digging a deeper hole.
You tended bar in that town, I’m sure you learned fast the real football fans down here don’t play around when it comes to college ball. They take this s**t serious. The last thing they are is front runners. They’d hate this guy.

I’m nearly bored enough to ban you both. Just drop it or take it to pms where you can continue making your scintillating points in private. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...