Bart Scott

RSJ

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What doesnt make an sense is even if he picks up the 1st down there, he doesnt get any glory for it.  You think anyone is talking about a 2 yards dive play after the game?

There was no glory in that play.  

This right here. Anyone who wants to accuse him of wanting it to be about him or whatever is being a tool. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

We have a rookie QB, a rookie HC and two rookie coordinators.   I think they learned something here.

But they and the rest of the team did a great job playing the reigning SB champion toe-to-toe and almost winning.   The learned and developed.  And more importantly in the big picture-they lost.   This greatly adds to the value of their draft picks.  

It appears that the Johnsons/Hymie leaked to Schefter that the expectation next season is that they are “in the hunt.”   That is a fair expectation.   To do that JD is going to need to score on his draft picks (see below) and sign some impact free agents-which means paying over fair value.  That is what you have to do when you blow too many of your own draft picks-you can sign them for fair value if you extend them earlier.  Letting Berrios go this long was also not smart.  

So basically, in the modern NFL the most important part of the player grade is their ability to contribute right away.  Projects get picked later, early starters earlier.   If the Jets can somehow turn Becton and Mims around, that would help the cause.   A very solid OL and strong pass rush will have an enormous impact in making this team competitive.  If they can sign a FA S and LB to tackle people, that would also make a big difference.  

Beating NE and Buffalo will be hard.   Building a team that can beat Miami will also make a big difference. 

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, heymangold said:

But then Saleh said they gave him the wrong play all.  So what is it?  Coaches covering for players or player cover for coaches?

The only people saying that Saleh is covering for Wilson are the 3 analysts in the SNY studio led by Bart Scott. 

What Saleh is saying is the truth. I'd be surprised if it wasn't. Saleh didn't say that they gave him the wrong play call if I remember correctly. He said they needed to communicate better to Zach that the ball needed to go to Berrios on that play. The QB has an option to hand it off on the sweep or keep it himself.

• Sympathy 1

Even if Zach made the wrong call .. AND still believes he made the appropriate choice based on his pre snap read.... the kid is a kid and will only get better ... there was no character flaw bullsh*t .. these guys are laughable.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

51 minutes ago, heymangold said:

But then Saleh said they gave him the wrong play all.  So what is it?  Coaches covering for players or player cover for coaches?

I think it's pretty clear that Wilson made the wrong read and the coaches are covering for him. Not a huge deal, he's a rookie but it is exceedingly unlikely that he was supposed to try and sneak it two yards with a backup center going against Vita Vea. 

• Sympathy 1

Bart Scott was part of a great Jets Defense in 2010 and 2011.  After lossing to a much better team in Indy in 2010 they went into Pittsburgh with a team capable of winning.   The D came in flat as a pancake.  The Steelers ran the ball right down Scotts throat in a statement drive on the opening kickoff.   Scott was Rex's coach on the field.  

Scott wants to focus on Zach not the 90 plus yard TD drive with no timeouts that was an embarrasment to the Jets D and HC.  

Scott should shut up about the O.  He constantly kills the kid.  Yea it was a bad play.  It was a dumb call to give a rookie the option.  Even worse was how the D was bitch slapped with everything in their favor.  Field position, time, timeouts and they needed a TD.  

Bart Scott was the guy in the middle who in the last big game the Jets played was trash.  

Go back to Baltimore where Ray Lewis and Ed Reed carried your sorry ass.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

i suppose from that view you could see how the center and the guards could have made some space but it closed up pretty darn quick.  the view also doesn't show what the defense did when berrios started going in motion.

Yea, you clearly see what Wilson was thinking, but in hindsight, he obviously should have just handed it off. Learning experience. 

• Upvote 1

i love Bart Scott as you can tell. and i love ZW.

lets be honest here. we all flipped out when we saw that play. we all got mad. who knows what crazy sh*t we were all saying in the heat of the moment. 

me as a Zack and Saleh supporter was flipping out. and not at the QB sneak but as to why we didn't kick the FG. force TB12 to score a TD with no TO . of course, thats what he did but that was to tie the game. im not sure if they go for 2 and risk losing it there. i think we go into OT. and we have a kicker we can trust now. lets see what happens next year when were in a playoff race what we do on these 4th downs.

last week before Christmas on Jets game plan on Thursday Bart was off and they had Legar Douzable on. first thing he said was that we heard alot of you ( us ) were having problems with the negative coverage of Zach. he had to come out and say that they weren't down on him and he showed 3-4 plays where Zach looked good.

so there hearing us.

they are a Jets post game show. and im not asking them to be homers, but when they get started it like a gang. it becomes too much when there negative. 

and Bart is not a Jet hater. he is not Keyshawn. every Monday he goes up against Chris Canty and the Giants. today should be good. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i suppose from that view you could see how the center and the guards could have made some space but it closed up pretty darn quick.  the view also doesn't show what the defense did when berrios started going in motion.

Yes, I'm not saying it was the right choice...

But it wasn't out of nowhere.  He saw something that, I imagine, he was taught to look for....and if it was there to move to that play.  So that's what he did.

In other words, this wasn't ego driven nor did it come out of left field.

With that said, I do agree with you - it did close and he should have just given the ball Braxton or called a TO.  He made a mistake but it really is just much ado about nothing.

I hate that I'm even engaged in this!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

He did? What did he say? 
The play was written up giving the QB the option to keep the ball if the pre snap read gives him an opening. He said the A gap was open, but he clearly had a mental meltdown and didnt calculate the hall of fame DL accross from him.

Shoulda handed off to Berrios... made the wrong call.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

I think it's pretty clear that Wilson made the wrong read and the coaches are covering for him. Not a huge deal, he's a rookie but it is exceedingly unlikely that he was supposed to try and sneak it two yards with a backup center going against Vita Vea. 

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The only people saying that Saleh is covering for Wilson are the 3 analysts in the SNY studio led by Bart Scott. 

What Saleh is saying is the truth. I'd be surprised if it wasn't. Saleh didn't say that they gave him the wrong play call if I remember correctly. He said they needed to communicate better to Zach that the ball needed to go to Berrios on that play. The QB has an option to hand it off on the sweep or keep it himself.

I guess we’ll never know the real answer.   Couple things - Berrios got hurt the play before.  Maybe zach took that into account and decided to take it himself.  The A gap was open, we forget that the Tampa defense is pretty legit.  Either way, was super excited the way zach played and the team worked through injuries. Hope to take it to Buffalo next week.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

No he didn’t. Saleh said the playcall was to Berrios, but it’s built in with a QB sneak option if the QB sees an opening. He took the blame as coaches because he realized his QB is too ******* stupid to realize when to prudently use that sneak option. Yes they need to take alternative options off the plays when the QB is too stupid or selfish. Bart Scott told it exactly as the play went down and put the blame on Zach because that’s where it belongs. I honestly thought the embarrassment of doing what Zach did would have been a great lesson for him, but then he doubled down on his selfish stupidity postgame claiming the A gap was open.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Thumb Down 1

The problem is the coach’s assumption that Zach wouldn’t be stupid enough to think the QB sneak was actually in play. A pass play may have a check off option to go to a run when the QB sees an opening, or vice versa. That’s just part of most every playcall. If said pass play is called on 3rd and 11 and the QB checks it to the alternate run play, is it the coach’s fault? I mean, this is basic football. Play calls always have alternate options, it’s up to the QB to make a smart decision. Zach made a horrendously stupid decision and doubled down in his press conference. You idiots are blaming the coaches for having basic plays that give QB’s options based on what they see. If the coaches are at fault here, it’s because they trusted Zach to have common sense on the field in which case I completely agree the coaches should know better by now that Zach is not very football smart.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

D4358A75-8529-464F-A7B9-4AB1AE73B8A9.jpeg.02ef3bb2591c31ce2fd504a657c1edb5.jpeg

If you are going for A yard or inches - that probably works, and that defensive alignment is likely within the parameters that he was coached to look for on that play call. 

But they needed 2 yards and the opponent has three outstanding defensive tackles so a) the option should never have been active (I think Lafleur probably expects there that it goes without saying) and b) Zach should have the game awareness to realize that a sneak there isn't going to yield the two they need - he'll learn from that. 

So mistakes on a couple of fronts but character flaws and integrity issues? That's a lot of projection from the SNY team. They may have other reasons that we don't know about to make such a projection but it was out of place here, imho.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

No he didn’t. Saleh said the playcall was to Berrios, but it’s built in with a QB sneak option if the QB sees an opening. He took the blame as coaches because he realized his QB is too ******* stupid to realize when to prudently use that sneak option. Yes they need to take alternative options off the plays when the QB is too stupid or selfish. Bart Scott told it exactly as the play went down and put the blame on Zach because that’s where it belongs. I honestly thought the embarrassment of doing what Zach did would have been a great lesson for him, but then he doubled down on his selfish stupidity postgame claiming the A gap was open.

Then that’s on the coaching staff.  If you wanted him to give the ball to Berrios, then tell him that. He’s a rookie.  You don’t want him to do something, then limit his ability of freedom to change the play at the line.  And even further, don’t call a play where he can sneak as an option. 

Then that’s on the coaching staff.  If you wanted him to give the ball to Berrios, then tell him that. He’s a rookie.  You don’t want him to do something, then limit his ability of freedom to change the play at the line.  And even further, don’t call a play where he can sneak as an option. 

Every ******* playcall has an alternate check off option. Every single one. It’s basic common sense football. Like I said, the coaches mistake was to not check with Zach and say “hey kid, you’re not stupid enough to think the QB sneak alternate built into this playcall is actually in play on 4th and 2, right?” You’re right, that is the coaches fault because the kid really was that stupid.

Every ******* playcall has an alternate check off option. Every single one. It’s basic common sense football. Like I said, the coaches mistake was to not check with Zach and say “hey kid, you’re not stupid enough to think the QB sneak alternate built into this playcall is actually in play on 4th and 2, right?” You’re right, that is the coaches fault because the kid really was that stupid.

Relax .. rookies gonna rookie ... its why Rex and Bowles both hated them.

For the majority of the game his football IQ was superior. But everyone will agree that he failed that test. Gotta learn from it.

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, I'm not saying it was the right choice...

But it wasn't out of nowhere.  He saw something that, I imagine, he was taught to look for....and if it was there to move to that play.  So that's what he did.

In other words, this wasn't ego driven nor did it come out of left field.

With that said, I do agree with you - it did close and he should have just given the ball Braxton or called a TO.  He made a mistake but it really is just much ado about nothing.

I hate that I'm even engaged in this!

you know what they say.  1 aw s**t is worth 100 attaboys.  it's unfortunate that a bad play has detracted from an all around good effort by wilson and the team.  i'm not so concerned about the loss but the one thing the really good teams know and learn to do is how to close out games.  that one bad play cost them the game.  they can have all-pros at 22 positions but making a critical mistake can easily put an L in the loss column.  obviously the defense had a chance to win this game too and they failed.  did they fail worse?  maybe because had a lot more opportunities to make a game saving play.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JiFapono said:

He showed us a still of the DL before they got set.  Lmfao. 

But in fairness that's what Zach is reading as the play call comes in . With experience he'll know defenses will bait him early and shift late especially in these types of situations. 

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

The Open gap was there - people keep saying it but it was open - it closed late, but it was the call he was taught to make...

If the coaches didn't want him to have the option they can take the option off the table...

Watch this video.

Just now, Big_Slick said:

Watch this video.

This has been discussed as naseum here.  There is a much closer image showing exactly what Zach was seeing.  Good choice, no..

But it was the look Zach has been taught to look for.  They crashed in on, have a 4th string C and top interior DL.

Should Zach go against the look he was taught to look for? Maybe but at 22 I doubt he was going to go against his coaches.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This has been discussed as naseum here.  There is a much closer image showing exactly what Zach was seeing.  Good choice, no..

But it was the look Zach has been taught to look for.  They crashed in on, have a 4th string C and top interior DL.

Should Zach go against the look he was taught to look for? Maybe but at 22 I doubt he was going to go against his coaches.

This is what Saleh said today btw - Zach did what he was instructed to do.  

In 3-4 years he wants Zach to ignore mistakes in calls, but he doesn’t expect that now.  

@Snell41 was the first one I saw call Zach a bust.  Plenty were hinting at it, but he went all in around the injury time.  He’s looking at Wilson through Bart Scott glasses.  

3 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

This is what Saleh said today btw - Zach did what he was instructed to do.  

In 3-4 years he wants Zach to ignore mistakes in calls, but he doesn’t expect that now.  

@Snell41 was the first one I saw call Zach a bust.  Plenty were hinting at it, but he went all in around the injury time.  He’s looking at Wilson through Bart Scott glasses.  

Yup...

If he ignored the OC - then he would actually be being selfish and making it about him.  Zach did exactly what he was told to do.

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

OK - No problem.

Overall, it was Zach's best game by far and it was very encouraging.

Looking forward to continued improvement next season and not just from Zach.

• Upvote 2

Bart Scott and Leger Douzable both just love to hate Wilson, and will look for literally any little reason to sh*t on him, yesterday’s post game show proves just that.

Both these dudes make it completely unwatchable, haters like them shouldn’t have any type of platform to spew their nonsense.