Bills-Pats Game

Gen X Jet

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

IIRC, we had already won the division and BP made it a point that the team still needs to play tough in the final week of the regular season despite the game being "meaningless".

Could be wrong....just ask my wife....but I think tie win in buffalo clinched the division and that quote was related to the following week against the pats.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Have we ever had a memorable win against the Bills btw?  The Dolphins we had 51-45 and the Monday Night Miracle.  The Pats we had the 28-21 playoff win.  But I can't think of a great win against the Bills.  Is there one that I'm forgetting?  Obviously they had that wildcard win against us plus the 2015 season ending game where they took us out.  Have we ever had one of those against them?

29 minutes ago, pajet said:

Tried looking up the video but couldn't find it but the 98 division clinching game in buffalo was pretty memorable.    One play I will never forget was the Vinny bomb to ward to seal the win

Division clinching win against the Bills in '98 is definitely one.

I remember long time long suffering Jets like Mo Lewis crying.

Obviously not on the same tier but I'll always remember the season opener in 2002 when Chad Morton returned two kicks to the house (including OT to win the game.)

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, pajet said:

Could be wrong....just ask my wife....but I think tie win in buffalo clinched the division and that quote was related to the following week against the pats.

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Obviously not on the same tier but I'll always remember the season opener in 2002 when Chad Morton returned two kicks to the house (including OT to win the game.)

Looks like I'm wrong and we did win the division against the Bills that year.  Certainly a memorably victory.  Out of curiosity though, have we had a victory over them that was a "gut punch" victory (a bitter loss for the Bills in a game that was important for them.  Similar to the 2015 season finale loss to them for us).

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Looks like I'm wrong and we did win the division against the Bills that year.  Certainly a memorably victory.  Out of curiosity though, have we had a victory over them that was a "gut punch" victory (a bitter loss for the Bills in a game that was important for them.  Similar to the 2015 season finale loss to them for us).

The jets generally take gut punches not give them

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Two good ones. 

From the 98 game, I'll always remember Vinny hitting Dedric Ward for what ended up being the winning TD down the left sideline. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think that's a typo and you meant you "wouldn't be surprised to see...".  I agree with you.  I think the Pats will go deep into their bag of tricks on Saturday.

yes, it was a typo.  the patsies will have some plays the bills have never seen before.

4 hours ago, pajet said:

So too young for the mudbowl....fake spike was just salt in the wound.

i was about 9 and i do remember it. 

the mud bowl was definitely bad and a cheat like @Jet Nut says, but that wasnt as embarring as the fake spike. it was the straw that broke the camels back.

the fake spike i was around 21 still hanging with my friends and i heard a lot of sh*t for that play. at 9 i didnt. i actually think most of my 9 yr old friends were Jet fans. Giants were always crap back then. but by 94 after 2 SBs the Giants gained alot of young fans. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I didn't say they wouldn't pass. I said that the Bills struggle in the passing game when it's cold. We literally just saw this against the Jets. 

Allen had a 53% completion  percentage,  about 240 yards and 2 TD's. While those aren't stellar numbers, I wouldn't  classify that as struggling. 

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

if the bills punter has another stellar game, they're toast.  i know the patsie strength is more short passing and running but i would be surprised to see some deep routes or even some trick plays.  allen is capable of screwing up a wet dream so it's going to be interesting to see if he'll be able to complete passes.  the patsies will find a way to shut down diggs and get a pass rush.

Great point.  You know BB is already working on a game plan that's about TOP and field position.  You pick up 20 yards on every punt it could be a big part of the outcome.  

I like the BIlls because Allen just seems so physically overwhelming but I think you changed my mind.  

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Allen had a 53% completion  percentage,  about 240 yards and 2 TD's. While those aren't stellar numbers, I wouldn't  classify that as struggling. 

Just because we're shell shocked by Jets QBs and trying to pretend their numbers are good.. doesn't mean the rest of the NFL measures by the same metric. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Just because we're shell shocked by Jets QBs and trying to pretend their numbers are good.. doesn't mean the rest of the NFL measures by the same metric. 

Those aren't  bad QB numbers. The only criticism  you can make is the comp. % was low but all the other numbers were fine. I didn't  even mention his rushing yards

7 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Generally, but it happens.

I believe we knocked the Dolphins out of the playoffs on the last game of 2013 which I'm sure stung for them.

True....I also think I remember them taking out the Giants one year which was fun.

7 hours ago, doitny said:

i was about 9 and i do remember it. 

the mud bowl was definitely bad and a cheat like @Jet Nut says, but that wasnt as embarring as the fake spike. it was the straw that broke the camels back.

the fake spike i was around 21 still hanging with my friends and i heard a lot of sh*t for that play. at 9 i didnt. i actually think most of my 9 yr old friends were Jet fans. Giants were always crap back then. but by 94 after 2 SBs the Giants gained alot of young fans. 

About the same age...maybe a year or two older.   For me the Mud Bowl just stung much more since it had so much more meaning and when your a kid, nothing else matters.   As for the fake spike game, I had just begun my professional career.   Not a local, grew up in NE PA which is mostly Steelers and Eagles country.  My co workers made sure to give me my share of grief.   I walked into the office that Monday morning to find Pics front and back pages of the NY tabloids covering my desk.   Good times.   One other note on that game, play....I kind of consider it like the butt fumble....Embarrassing....absolutely, but IIRC we had a decent lead in that game and Boomer made a fair amount of bone headed plays which allowed the Phins to get back into that game and set up that play.   I always blamed Boomer for that loss more than that one particular  play.

when I doubt root against the Pats. That being said, I think the Bills are better but have anti-home field advantage. I hope the Pats loose, but if they win, I hope they loose next week. Sadly, there aren't very good AFC teams to smack them down - Bills would probably have edge if this was being played in Foxboro.

38 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I like the Pats in this game.  I think Bellichek will come up w/ a master defensive plan that will shut down josh allen.

Other than the first TD pass against us( still don't see how it was a TD, Allen played like crap against us. I think the bet is Pats and the $ line. The Pats will run the ball down their throats again.

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Generally, but it happens.

I believe we knocked the Dolphins out of the playoffs on the last game of 2013 which I'm sure stung for them.

We also knocked the Giants out of the playoffs in the late 80’s on the last game of the season.  

• Upvote 2

Weather will be a factor in this game, for sure. 4 deg with slight wind. The football is going to be like a rock in that temp, even if they try to keep them warm on the sideline. It will affect the passing game, but also increase likelihood of fumbles, as well as injuries. If Bills want to win this one, Josh Allen had better plan to run alot. That's the one big advantage the Bills have over the statue QB in Mac Jones. But I don't envy those guys hitting that turf. That'll be like concrete too.

23 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The "great" Joe (must go!) Walton defeating Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick.

Was a fun game, brought a friend who was a Giants fan.  Jets were winning all day and then the Giants went ahead.   Was praying for a comeback, wasnt looking forward to hearing all about the Giants, the win and the division title on the ride home

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2022 at 1:58 PM, More Cowbell said:

Those aren't  bad QB numbers. The only criticism  you can make is the comp. % was low but all the other numbers were fine. I didn't  even mention his rushing yards

I mean, the comp is simply Allen in good weather vs. Allen when it's freezing. He is very clearly worse in cold weather but pretty much all numbers.

I have to say, I'm very jealous of the Bills.

What they did Saturday night -- completely and totally obliterating the Pats in a historic ass kicking, just humiliating BB's defense in a home playoff rout in their second straight year as AFC East champs -- is something I've been craving for 15 years+. This was the dream for when Brady retired, that we'd be ready to take the reigns in the division. Sad that when the time finally came we're further away than ever.

Still, just watching it happen was still somewhat cathartic, even when the team doing the ass kicking was another division rival.

• Upvote 2

My two greatest takeaway from the Bills Pats game have to do with the QBs, which is appropriate since this is a QB driven league.

Josh Allen -- wow, just wow. When he has a game with deep ball accuracy like that and his OC lets him run the ball too, I cannot imagine any team will have an answer. That was a really good Pat D he embarrassed and as much as I dislike him, BB always has a game plan that forces a team to rely on its weakness. It was pretty clear that Allen had no weaknesses in that game. But it was just one game, and he had his share of turds this season. So, let's see if he can eliminate the turds going forward.

Mac Jones -- the kid was clearly the best rookie QB and he played pretty good against a really good Bill D especially considering that the Bills had such a big early lead. He's not going to do the things that hurt his own team, but I fail to see how he will ever be the kind of QB you fear. He's accurate, but not drew brees/chad pennington accurate and so many of his passes are to pretty much stationary targets. The Pats run a ton of curl and sit down type routes. I really am impressed that Jones knows where to find the open receiver. However, you will never confuse Mac's arm with my (and BB's) favorite QB from the past - Bert Jones. I feel like you could use a sun dial to measure the air time for Mac's passes. It reminded me of Fitz. The ball is in the air so, so long. In today's NFL a QB can hide a lot of warts with a really good arm. When you see a guy open, the time window he will remain open is small. The quicker the ball arrives, the greater the chance of success. I just don't think Jones has the arm strength to be special.  

• Upvote 2