How many years we giving ZW to prove himself?

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It won't happen but finding a way to add a stud, experienced WR like a Davante Adams is precisely what can help a young QB make a big leap.

So all we have to do is add arguably the 2nd best/most productive WR in the NFL, and Wilson will be fine.

:-k

You're right.  That's probably not going to happen.

• Haha 2

By "we" do you mean fans or do you mean the team.  As fans, I thnk many of us are well on our way to having our  minds made up and most if not all of us will feel like we will know if he is the guy by the middle of next season.  

If "we" is the team, I think he gets three seasons to rpove himself, similar to Darnold, before they decide to move on.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So all we have to do is add arguably the 2nd best/most productive WR in the NFL, and Wilson will be fine.

I think Zach would “settle” for a Cooper Kupp, Justin Jefferson, Jamar Chase, Deebo Samuel, Chris Godwin, CeeDee Lamb, Tyreek Hill, Keenan Allen type also. Doesn’t have to be a Davante Adams, Stefon Diggs, Deandre Hopkins. 

The point is simply that the Jets have nothing close to any of those guys. Most other teams seem to have one. Heck, some have two. And, their guys aren’t injured most of the time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Realistically, he's getting 3 years unless he flames out to the point of getting benched next year (which has certainly happened before)

30 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We saw what Stefon Diggs did for Allen and what the addition of Deandre Hopkins did for Kyler Murray.  It won't happen but finding a way to add a stud, experienced WR like a Davante Adams is precisely what can help a young QB make a big leap.  Most people consider the Jets biggest weapon on offense to be Elijah Moore... a rookie who has played a total of 11 NFL games.  That's not the same thing as adding a crafty, talented, veteran WR who walks onto a team already having had a couple of 100 catch seasons.

Agreed. A star veteran WR would be amazing. 

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Eh, he wasn't quite the second best WR in the game before he got to Buffalo (although he was excellent). 

He took the next step with Allen. The two best seasons of his career are the two he played with Allen. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DiggSt00.htm

The idea is to add elite WR talent that can stay on the field. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Assuming he's showing progress,  he'll get two more season to prove he can be a legit FQB.  -

If he shows little to no progress that timeline with shrink, but he'll get the benefit of the doubt for the next two seasons.

Exactly. For me, it's 2 years with the chance to earn a third if there's tangible progress next year

I'm giving him about 6-8 weeks into next season. If he's still playing the same he was this year, it's not looking good and I'd want the Jets to start to look in a new direction. If Zach is clearly a better player to start next season and makes a solid jump in play from where he was this season, then it's full steam ahead with him as the QB.

• Upvote 1

He's definitely getting another year.  So, I think a better way to think of this is along the lines of what you'd need to see from him, in terms of improvement, that would make you comfortable giving him a 3rd year?  Or, if he puts up a nearly identical performance, would you give him that 3rd year anyway?

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

He's definitely getting another year.  So, I think a better way to think of this is along the lines of what you'd need to see from him, in terms of improvement, that would make you comfortable giving him a 3rd year?  Or, if he puts up a nearly identical performance, would you give him that 3rd year anyway?

My thinking as well. 

If he doesn't improve next year then that may be all she wrote. I think that if he puts up numbers similar to Allen in his 2nd season (85+ rating, 2-1 TD-Int, 3k+ yds, 60%+ CMP) that would be a good bar to greenlight a 3rd. Or better yet, he exceeds those numbers, plays great, and there is ultimately no question about him being the future.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Eh, he wasn't quite the second best WR in the game before he got to Buffalo (although he was excellent). 

He took the next step with Allen. The two best seasons of his career are the two he played with Allen. 

The portion I quotes referenced Davante Adams, #2 in receptions the past two years .

8 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I think if he put up this year's number next year I would seriously think about changing my outlook.

He cannot be under 60%, below 1:1 TD passes to INTS, under 200 yards a game, under 75% QB rating.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Allen's rookie numbers across the board, except yards passing, are almost identical to Zach's. Not that it means anything going forward, just very interesting.

Allen is also an extreme outlier in rookie's with number like that who goes on to be a success. He also had superior rushing numbers. 

Anyways, 2 years to show you can be consistent enough and move the ball. 3 years to show you can be a franchise level player. If he has a Danroldesque year 2 then you move on. 

• Upvote 3

I'm not sure how many years the Jets want to give him but here's what I would do.

I would make him compete for the Job in next years training camp IF he wins that competition he gets 4 games if he can't put up some good numbers in those 4 games he gets yanked. That's not to say I'm done with him at that stage but as an example lets say Mike White is again the back up and he goes in after game 4 and plays well but begins to falter after 4 or five games I then give Zach another chance to finish out the season on a very positive note not some bullsh*t Improvement crap I'm talking serious Improvement like some 300 yard games multiple TD's and much better accuracy if he can do that he comes back in year 3 if not I start preparing to take a QB in that upcoming draft.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Well keep in mind Diggs had some really good players on offense in Minny he was not the only guy.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Lith said:

By "we" do you mean fans or do you mean the team.  As fans, I thnk many of us are well on our way to having our  minds made up and most if not all of us will feel like we will know if he is the guy by the middle of next season.  

If "we" is the team, I think he gets three seasons to rpove himself, similar to Darnold, before they decide to move on.

I meant the team but I'm interested in both perspectives. 

To me, he needs to show something by the end of next season.  If he struggles again then we've got to think about moving on.  If there's nothing in the draft (e.g. we're not in position for a top pick) then we'll probably stay with ZW by default.  But I guess let's see what happens next year.  Maybe Zach will blossom.

3 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

So absurd that Mahommes first season he plays, he throws 50 TDs. 
We’d all die and go to heaven. 

That was after a year sitting behind Alex Smith. This shows the benefits of sitting behind a veteran first year. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jets0712 said:

Does the infamous ( sophomore slump) still exist?? If so he’d better not have one..

Personally I would give him 3 years just like Sam. However if the Jets do get that True #1 receiver while Moore grows into the 1b this year coming up..we will know for sure after next season

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Wilson was so ready that this year was his sophomore slump.