"The Drive"

maybe i will get cussed out for this... but JA's drive to take the lead was the most impressive possession of the game. 

I always find it confusing and annoying when teams (with the run and pass availible) can't move the ball very well, then once its a clear passing situation, the D cant stop em. similar to the ole "prevent d only prevents you from winning" kinda arguements... what gives?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Defenses are either bad or beaten by better offenses in today’s NFL. The recipe for success is offense because it doesn’t matter how much you invest into defense, teams invested into offense will always win over. That’s why there isn’t “The drive” anymore. Get ready for the next 5 decades of football, it only gets more radical from here

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

What in the F game are they playing? And why are their jerseys so dirty? This is a completely different game.

Elway's shoulder pads look like they weigh 60 pounds.

You could have a muddy field back then.  (e.g. the Mud Bowl).

• Sympathy 1

I'm sorry but "The Drive" will always be to me John Elway taking the Broncos 98 yards down the field for a game tieing touchdown vs Marty Schottenheimer's Browns in the 1986 AFC Championship game to send the game to overtime, then won in OT to go to the Super Bowl XXI.  I agree it meant more then. Today we see scores like Arena football.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Dunnie said:

Im.just kinda bummed because inthought the Jets would be good before instarted despising the NFL product.

.... Richard Todd, Ken OBrien, Chad Pennington, Mark Sanchez, Genope, Sam Darnold ...

Same here.  The NFL is really not what it once was.  Arena League Football was laughed at at one point.  Now it's the  basic premise of the NFL.  If we win a Superbowl in this kind of league I'm sure I'll be very happy but it won't have quite the same meaning.

• Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Remember when this used to mean something?  And remember when Montana's Superbowl winning drive in 1988 against the Bengals (the John Candy sighting game) used to mean something?

Today, the Bills and Chiefs had about 3 of these in the final 2 minutes.  It's just too easy to go up-and-down the field these days.  The reason "The Drive" (and whatever they called Montana's TD drive in 1988) meant what it did was because it wasn't that easy to score.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh8CnCVQAcY

Whatever happened to the bare foot kickers?

I had a friend 

was a big baseball player

back in high school

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Im.just kinda bummed because inthought the Jets would be good before i started despising the NFL product.

.... Richard Todd, Ken OBrien, Chad Pennington, Mark Sanchez, Genope, Sam Darnold ...

But we still watch every game every week. I guess we don’t despise it nearly as much as we think.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Totally agree with the premise of the thread. The game is too lopsided in favor of the offense. 

But I just don't see it changing anytime soon. The NFL is getting exactly what it wants

With Fantasy Football driving revenue through the roof, the NFL will continue to push offense over defense.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

While I agree with the premise of the thread every game is different. You just saw SF basically shutdown Green Bay in the second half by getting to the QB and tackling and you saw the Bengals come up with a big turnover late which was the catalyst to them beating Tennessee.

The Bills has numerous chances to get to Mahomes but a step here a twirl there a Dan Quisenberry sidearm throw over there it was just insane that they couldn't get to him. Meanwhile Josh Allen is plowing over guys and hitting alot of wide open receivers with Matthieu out with a concussion. 

Last night was alot like San Diego vs Miam in the 81 Divisional. Just non stop scoring and exhausted defenses. 

• Sympathy 1

It's hard to call 2 plays "The Drive" :)

As for the lack of defense, is it that defenses get more tired than the offenses, can't see that... Seems to me it's the Defensive play calling possibly, although Romo was pointing out that Buffalo on the Kelce play to get in field goal range was being too aggressive there, when he thought that Mahomes had to get rid of it quick anyway so why not drop more into coverage.

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Remember when this used to mean something?  And remember when Montana's Superbowl winning drive in 1988 against the Bengals (the John Candy sighting game) used to mean something?

Today, the Bills and Chiefs had about 3 of those in the final 2 minutes.  It's just too easy to go up-and-down the field these days.  The reason "The Drive" (and whatever they called Montana's TD drive in 1988) meant what it did was because it wasn't that easy to score.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh8CnCVQAcY

It was “The Catch” you’re referring to. 

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

It was “The Catch” you’re referring to. 

"The Catch" was Montana to Dwight Clark.  I was referring to the 1988 Superbowl drive that ended in a Montana to John Taylor TD.  Does that one have a name?  And if not, that's surprising.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'm sorry but "The Drive" will always be to me John Elway taking the Broncos 98 yards down the field for a game tieing touchdown vs Marty Schottenheimer's Browns in the 1986 AFC Championship game to send the game to overtime, then won in OT to go to the Super Bowl XXI.  I agree it meant more then. Today we see scores like Arena football.

That’s it - it was Arena football. Perfect analogy. Not NFL. The drive lost all meaning last night. It should be called The Collapse(s)

• Haha 1

I didn't get to see the game live (unfortunately) but saw the last few minutes this morning.

On the last play before the game tying FG, KC was on their 44 with 8 seconds left. Mahomes completes the pass to Kelce (in the middle of the field) who is tripped up at the Buffalo 30 and the clock shows 4 seconds.

It made me wonder: what if Buffalo didn't try to tackle him and let him run around a little more (without touching him)? Could they have bled off the last 4 seconds and tackled him around the 10 (without letting him get out of bounds)?

Edit: may have just found my own answer. Kelce could have had the presence to give himself up and not try to make the endzone. "Giving himself up" doesn't just apply to QBs. He could have gone down and KC then would have used their last timeout to kick the FG. Buffalo really screwed themselves by not forcing KC to cover that kickoff. after they went ahead.

Its like that in a lot of things: Things evolve and get better.

When I was a young bmxer in the 80's I was able to pull off one table top. ONCE. Today, a TT is a joke. What these kids do on bikes is unreal.

In 1970, Jimi Hendrix was the cats meow. If Hendrix was 20 today, he'd be rusty nail hack

So many comments out there about how this was one of the greatest games ever.

Yeah, I'm going to nope the hell out of that one.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but defense matters.  Maybe I'm in the minority, but tactical coaching decisions matter.

This was a very sloppy game at the end.  It may have been superficially entertaining, but this was not a great football game at all.  This was watered down, arena football.

18 hours ago, Hex said:

Defenses are either bad or beaten by better offenses in today’s NFL. The recipe for success is offense because it doesn’t matter how much you invest into defense, teams invested into offense will always win over. That’s why there isn’t “The drive” anymore. Get ready for the next 5 decades of football, it only gets more radical from here

The 49ers and Bengals say hello.