Schefter: Cowboys Likey to Release Amari Cooper

Lith

15 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Sure, since you’re just going to ignore that that a number of those performances (ex: 1 catch, 5 yards) came with Ben DiNucci and co. throwing him the ball and the fact that I was disputing the absolutely ridiculous clam that Cooper has never taken over a game.

You don’t “occasionally blow up” to the tune of 80-100 catches, 1,000 yards, and  5-8 TDs.

I didn’t say he never had a good game.  I said I hadn’t seen it and I didn’t say I watched every Dallas game.   Shame on me, I blinked and missed his good performance.  Compared to the elite receivers in the game, he is middling.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Amazing how this is even an argument. Get Cooper, draft another WR, and maybe we may finally see what kind of QB Zach really is instead of wondering if he’s the guy at the end of next season.

Besides, half of the Jets WRs will be hurt by week 2, you can never have enough good ones…

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Playing with a top QB in a passing offense-   2 100 yd games, 8 TDs and 865yds.   In 17 games!   Average 12.7yds per catch?   Surrounded by talent  so the D can’t key on him?   

For that we could have kept Robby Anderson for half the price.  

And you think that’s worth 20 million a yr?  Mogglez I’m surprised at you 

9 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I didn’t say he never had a good game.  I said I hadn’t seen it and I didn’t say I watched every Dallas game.   Shame on me, I blinked and missed his good performance.  Compared to the elite receivers in the game, he is middling.  

Dawg (and I say this with love), you didn’t blink and miss 1 or 2 games like the aforementioned Robby Anderson; you missed 14 elite performances, lol.  There are a couple of others I probably could have highlighted as just “great” games.  This forum highly underrates Cooper.  Ironically, a lot of the same posters are falling over themselves to trade a high pick for Calvin Ridley (who will ask for Cooper money or better, btw) and is the SAME AGE as Cooper (27).

23 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Playing with a top QB in a passing offense-   2 100 yd games, 8 TDs and 865yds.   In 17 games!   Average 12.7yds per catch?   Surrounded by talent  so the D can’t key on him?   

For that we could have kept Robby Anderson for half the price.  

And you think that’s worth 20 million a yr?  Mogglez I’m surprised at you 

The cowboys fans I know would disagree with you.  They say the reason many of the other playmakers were so successful was do to defenses keying Amari.  He was consistent and reliable, but his targets were down this year in comparison to previous years. 

He is still a terrific route runner and reliable target that could help our offense. He's also very little risk, since he would only be guaranteed for 2022, then essentially team options for 2023 and 2024.  This offers us flexibility next yl

The real question is he better than what we'd be able to acquire in FA. I'm less worried about the money this year.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Dawg (and I say this with love), you didn’t blink and miss 1 or 2 games like the aforementioned Robby Anderson; you missed 14 elite performances, lol.  There are a couple of others I probably could have highlighted as just “great” games.  This forum highly underrates Cooper.  Ironically, a lot of the same posters are falling over themselves to trade a high pick for Calvin Ridley (who will ask for Cooper money or better, btw) and is the SAME AGE as Cooper (27).

Amari Cooper has had 4, 4 and 2 100 yd games in the last 3 yrs.

Cooper Krupp had 11 100 yd games last year alone.

Devante Adams had 8 last year.

When you watch the games there’s a clear difference.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Amari Cooper has had 4, 4 and 2 100 yd games in the last 3 yrs.

Cooper Krupp had 11 100 yd games last year alone.

Devante Adams had 8 last year.

When you watch the games there’s a clear difference.

1 of those 3 years (2020) Cooper played with some of the worst QBs I have ever seen play.

2019 he was one of the best WRs in football.

last year, yes it wasn’t his best year but hey, when we traded for Brandon Marshall in 2015, he was coming off a season with 61 catches, 721 yards, and 8 TDs.  Then he exploded for the best season ever by a Jets wide receiver. Marshall was also older than Cooper when we traded for him, so there is plenty of reason to believe that Amari has a lot of ball really good ball left in him.  I need to keep repeating it:  you don’t “occasionally” pop off for the stats Cooper was putting up.  You have to be a damn good player to do what he’s done so far.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

1 of those 3 years (2020) Cooper played with some of the worst QBs I have ever seen play.

last year, yes it wasn’t his best year but hey, when we traded for Brandon Marshall in 2015, he was coming off a season with 61 catches, 721 yards, and 8 TDs.  Then he exploded for the best season ever by a Jets wide receiver. Marshall was also older than Cooper when we traded for him, so there is plenty of reason to believe that Amari has a lot of ball really good ball left in him.  I need to keep repeating it:  you don’t “occasionally” pop off for the stats Cooper was putting up.  You have be a damn good player to do what he’s done so far.

I don't want JD giving up draft capital for Ridley. 

Amari Cooper is in his prime.  If Jets can sign him...it would be a major coup.  ZW will assuredly be a much improved performer because of Amari's presence.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

36 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

last year, yes it wasn’t his best year but hey, when we traded for Brandon Marshall in 2015, he was coming off a season with 61 catches, 721 yards, and 8 TDs.  Then he exploded for the best season ever by a Jets wide receiver. Marshall was also older than Cooper when we traded for him, so there is plenty of reason to believe that Amari has a lot of ball really good ball left in him.  I need to keep repeating it:  you don’t “occasionally” pop off for the stats Cooper was putting up.  You have to be a damn good player to do what he’s done so far.

We see this differently.   I think he is a good, not great receiver, and very inconsistent..   Not worth the money and draft picks to bring him here.   Don’t want a guy that’s unhappy and not giving it his all.  
As I said we got similar production to Cooper’s from Robby Anderson, and half this board didn’t think he was worth 10 million a year to resign.  When Leveon Bell was signed I wasn’t excited either.  Why does another teams discards always look better than your own?    If they sign him, I’ll bet you now he doesn’t beat his production from last years “down year”.

16 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

We see this differently.   I think he is a good, not great receiver, and very inconsistent..   Not worth the money and draft picks to bring him here.   Don’t want a guy that’s unhappy and not giving it his all.  
As I said we got similar production to Cooper’s from Robby Anderson, and half this board didn’t think he was worth 10 million a year to resign.  When Leveon Bell was signed I wasn’t excited either.  Why does another teams discards always look better than your own?    If they sign him, I’ll bet you now he doesn’t beat his production from last years “down year”.

My man, Robby Anderson never had a 100 catch, 1,000+ yard, 5-8 TD season here.  We, most certainly, did not get similar production from him.  On top of that, Robby is an actual player who gets unhappy and stops giving his all.  He did it with us and he did it in Carolina last year.

• Upvote 2

I'd prefer Cooper to Ridley because I think it would cost less to acquire him.  

Zach is on his rookie deal so we can afford to spend big on the receiver room.  A three year deal at 20 per isn't going to hamstring this team in the least.  It will push everyone down a slot to where they belong.

Cooper

Moore

Davis

Barrios

Mims (lol)

Is a legit group. 

Of course if they sign a corner and a RG, I could see them taking Wilson at 10.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'd prefer Cooper to Ridley because I think it would cost less to acquire him.  

Zach is on his rookie deal so we can afford to spend big on the receiver room.  A three year deal at 20 per isn't going to hamstring this team in the least.  It will push everyone down a slot to where they belong.

Cooper

Moore

Davis

Barrios

Mims (lol)

Is a legit group. 

Of course if they sign a corner and a RG, I could see them taking Wilson at 10.  

Man, that's a lot of scratch for a #3. But I think you have them ranked correctly in this scenario.

6 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Im still trying to figure out how a player who over the course of a 7 year career has 5 1,000+ yard seasons and two just shy of 1,000 yards, with 46 TDs is inconsistent and not one of the leagues best WRs.  

We got nowhere near this kind of production from Robby Anderson.  Thats why one team let him walk without a return and he signed with the Panthers for less than half of what Cooper signed for

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hes brandon cooks.  Good receiver but not worth the money he commands.  Thats why hes looking for a new team every 2 years.

Its a bad ROI w/ cooper.  The raiders found that out and so did jerry jones.  Joe D will have 0 interest.

He was traded once for expensive picks.  He played 4 years in both places and was one of if not the best player on each team.   I have no idea what are you trying to prove

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

We may have to pay 15-20% more for him to come here. Fook we paid an Inside Linebacker 18 mill per to play for the Jets.

No, we have to be the highest bidder.  Thats how FA works almost all of the time in every sport.  

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Im still trying to figure out how a player who over the course of a 7 year career has 5 1,000+ yard seasons and two just shy of 1,000 yards, with 46 TDs is inconsistent and not one of the leagues best WRs.  

We got nowhere near this kind of production from Robby Anderson.  Thats why one team let him walk without a return and he signed with the Panthers for less than half of what Cooper signed for

Ok so he is a world class WR at the peak of his athletic career per you.   And a deal at 20 million per year.

So why do the Cowboys, and Raiders before him, both want him gone?

On 3/4/2022 at 3:27 PM, LAD_Brooklyn said:

$20M on the cap is a huge turn-off. Other WRs signing for such a figure will only account for $5-8M (when you factor in signing bonuses). With only $48M in cap room we should look elsewhere to improve the team rather then take a one year $20M flier on a Cooper. In no way or form would he deliever on $20M in production. 

All that signing a WR to a 20M per deal with a first year cap hit of 5-8M does is push 12-15M of cap hit into future years. We have enough cap space to manage 20M this year, easy - and if we wanted to play games with the structure we absolutely could (there's no way he would turn down a conversion of salary to signing bonus, for example). 

On 3/4/2022 at 5:16 PM, Jethead said:

I didn't realize that Dallas has to release him (vs trade him) to save $16M cap $. If he's a FA the only way we get him is by outbidding others. Seems much less likely. I'm back to Wilson with the 10th pick. Thibs and Wison would be a pretty good start to the draft!

They don't. They get the same cap relief by trading him. The "less likely with his contract" part meant "it's unlikely another team will want to take on Cooper's existing contract" (which is 20M per season, flat, for 3 years)

51 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

They don't. They get the same cap relief by trading him. The "less likely with his contract" part meant "it's unlikely another team will want to take on Cooper's existing contract" (which is 20M per season, flat, for 3 years)

Get  'er done JD!

2 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Ok so he is a world class WR at the peak of his athletic career per you.   And a deal at 20 million per year.

So why do the Cowboys, and Raiders before him, both want him gone?

Only the Raiders traded him away after 4 years.  The Cowboys put themselves in cap hell and can’t afford the deals they handed out and players who’ve reached FA like Schultz

Its not the 1990’s.  WRs are making mid 20s per.  Or more after this off-season.  Plus bonus money that has already been paid.  

At 27 he well could be at the top of his athletic career, which I never hinted at.  I remember when Randy Moss was done after the Raiders and Minny.  

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I guarantee if it’s a contender he will play for less then for the Jets. Your reply is disingenuous and you know it.

Except it rarely works that way

its not disingenuous, it’s historically correct.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Only the Raiders traded him away after 4 years.  The Cowboys put themselves in cap hell and can’t afford the deals they handed out and players who’ve reached FA like Schultz

Its not the 1990’s.  WRs are making mid 20s per.  Or more after this off-season.  Plus bonus money that has already been paid.  

At 27 he well could be at the top of his athletic career, which I never hinted at.  I remember when Randy Moss was done after the Raiders and Minny.  

The Cowboys have 55 guys under contract that they could cut.   They could not resign Schultz or several other players.   He isnt the only option to get under the cap.  They could trade guys for picks.  If he is all you think he is, why is he getting traded or cut where theyll have a cap hit?   Letting Schultz go saves them about the same amount.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Randy Moss was traded because of off the field issues.  

Have people actually not watched this guy in his two bad years?

I find it funny at times with  our site.  Mention OBJ when he was out there and everyone hated him and hated the idea of going after him.

And yet we are lining up for this guy who is border line #1 in his good years and pretty lousy in his bad years.

The Jets should explore him if he gets cut but this is no slam dunk and no 'no brainer' as some are insisting.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

20 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Very good player is available. 

Jets fans: Yeahhh but like, why is he available? 

Another team signs said player. 

Also Jets fans: Sleepy Joe too cheap once again!

To be honest, that was going to be my question - lol.

On 3/4/2022 at 5:20 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

We can pay an elite prospect like garrett wilson nothing for the next 4 years who ceiling is way above cooper or overpay a guy looking for his 3rd team in 3 years.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Can we have both or is that overkill?