Schefter: Cowboys Likey to Release Amari Cooper

Lith

The Jets definitely will need to compete for this guy.  We aren't exactly the most desirable spot in the world for FAs, so you do have to somewhat overpay.  Having said that we desperately need a true number 1, and Cooper (while not a completely elite WR) is definitely a number 1.

I think if we bring someone like this on, a really proper evaluation of ZW can be had this season, and I suspect we aren't going to like the answer.  However, its better to know, than to have to linger on for years

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

While he's paid a lot and probably isn't quite in the category of the guys he's lumped with, the flexibility is key, as is the fact that he's the youngest guy on the list of highest paid WRs.  Trading something like a Day 3 pick for him and having the ability to release him at any point with no dead cap is very appealing to a guy like JD.

It might be best to get that done before we see a bunch of other WRs get their new deals with 2022 salary levels in free agency.

1007614409_ScreenShot2022-03-04at5_57_28PM.png.5b34b2d07ad9083234fee44de4a0286f.png

Those truly elite guys are going to be making closer to $25m+ going forward. Hopkins led the way and Adams will be next. There’s only a handful of them. $20m, while it may still be high for Cooper, is no longer a contract for an elite WR.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Don't you just hate it when you make a joke and some dumbass is too stupid to realize it. 

image.jpeg

Nah, it was a kind of weak joke.  But I'll probably keep saying it because I still enjoy poking fun at that ridiculous name they chose.  :)

15 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I’d defo sign Cooper, but he’s got have options, and the Jets isn’t one of them.

Unless we overpay, none of the tier one Free Agents are coming here.

Every free agent goes to the highest bidder. Unless Tom Brady tells them to do something different.

• Haha 2

The Jets need impact players and are competing against the rest of the league for them.   JD needs to aggressively bid for those players he thinks can and will make a difference-if he loses he drives up the cost for other teams.  Cooper, Schultz, Marcus Williams, JC Jackson/Carlton Davis are those type of players.  

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He’s 27

He doesn’t move the same way, he’s an old 27.   If he was the same player I think the Cowboys would find a way to keep him and restructure him.   They don’t see value in him at his current price.   I’d rather someone else make the mistake in giving him big money.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He doesn’t move the same way, he’s an old 27.   If he was the same player I think the Cowboys would find a way to keep him and restructure him.   They don’t see value in him at his current price.   I’d rather someone else make the mistake in giving him big money.  

Well I'm sure Cooper wants to hit FA since he hasn't been able to yet. If I were Cooper I'd force Dallas to pay me $20m or cut me, it's why that deal was built the way it was.

If I had to guess the Cowboys are kicking themselves for paying Zeke and they got unlucky with Gallup tearing the ACL at the end of the year. 

10 minutes ago, Barton said:

Yup. a RB is definitely needed. I'm guessing the Jets will use wayy too many picks and dollars on the defense though. 

Finding a RB is relatively easy and cheap.

On O they need to upgrade G, TE and WR....otherwise they really can and should load up on D.

15 hours ago, Mogglez said:

A94702DE-8D9F-4D8D-AC15-8F0DF62E6027.thumb.jpeg.5c9bedbb773223955d4b7076ca99ca09.jpeg036F21EB-B196-426C-9ADB-C4C730AD944C.thumb.jpeg.748a40ae4270a908c80ddfedb2cb6b21.jpegB96CC2D5-8551-4058-82ED-8A6D0FE1EAAD.thumb.jpeg.0d903dbf361fe7c7afbad909a1ff118f.jpeg779C63A7-5F48-47E5-8403-C22E7ADB45BE.thumb.jpeg.9b7e92a3464948e1e3993cdedfdad07c.jpeg

Yeah, so I don’t think you watch the Cowboys as much as you claim you do.

Playing with a top QB in a passing offense-   2 100 yd games, 8 TDs and 865yds.   In 17 games!   Average 12.7yds per catch?   Surrounded by talent  so the D can’t key on him?   

For that we could have kept Robby Anderson for half the price.  

And you think that’s worth 20 million a yr?  Mogglez I’m surprised at you 

• Sympathy 1