Schefter: Cowboys Likey to Release Amari Cooper

Lith

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree.  If we can give the Boys a pick to prevent him from hitting the open market, we assume 3 years at $20M per, while Zach is on his rookie deal.  And we can use our premium picks elsewhere. 

We need to try to find a way to get this done by trade.  As long as he does not have a no trade in his contract.

The Jets surprisingly don't have a lot of cap space so it kills a lot of the free agent dreams, but I think it's a worthwhile move. Adding Cooper is just such a huge piece, legitimate veteran WR who can get open on the ground for Wilson. Not worth what he's paid which is why Dallas who's trying to contend is moving on but I think in terms of improving the offense and Wilson's development it's okay to pay the premium.

Those other conversations certainly make sense. If Mike Williams for less than $3/60M is on the table and he's going to hit FA then the trade certainly doesn't make sense. I suppose the dream is to get a cut Cooper for like $3/45M and save the draft pick.

I don't really think Douglas was ever going to be in on the Jesse Bates, Marcus Williams, Brandon Scherff's of the world though, there aren't as many open roster spots as we're used to, and a lot of the better guys (like Mike Williams) aren't going to hit FA. So maybe the few million a year isn't a huge deal.

There are some interesting more Joe Douglas-y seeming guys in this free agent class the more I've dug. DeShon Elliott or Jordan Whitehead at safety, Kyzir White at linebacker, I still think James Daniels is a great fit for the RG spot with center flexibility. Those guys plus some vet tight end (I have no idea who will be available there with it seeming like Njoku will go back to the Browns and Schultz should have a robust market) seems like a Joe Douglas-y free agent period, I think they could fit Cooper in there.

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

I assume it’d be something like a 5 year $100m contract… $60m guaranteed

Then why not just trade for him? It’ll be 3yrs $60m no guarantees if we trade him.

Personally, I think he’ll sign in the ARob, Mike Williams, and Godwin range. Those guys are projected to sign between 16-18m per year. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

How much do you think Cooper gets on the open market?

Maybe $15-$18M/year? Depends how teams view the relative down year. Guess it could reach his current deal but if he'd get that a team would trade for him. Figure Golladay got 4/$72M, the open market gets silly. 

• Upvote 1

The Cowboys must have some type of deal with Cooper.  I don't know why they just don't trade him for whatever they can get.  It would be much better to give up a pick for his contract than to have to give him a new one.  Something is up.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe Douglas will have 0 interest in an over priced player like Amari Cooper.  We have tons of draft picks for a reason and will be drafting a stud like Garrett Wilson at 10.

Please listen to what your GM is telling you and we can stop opening silly threads like this.

Joe Douglas:

"I think we always want to be financially flexible. We always want the opportunity to strike if the right opportunity presents itself."

"There is a little bit more certainty when you’re talking about the pro player market versus the draft market, so I think that’s why you see volatility in the draft. But, again, like I said earlier, if the right opportunity presents itself in the trade market, we’re ready to strike."

"You look at teams like Buffalo and you look at teams like the Rams, who obviously traded a lot of picks to get to where they were and so, I think the constant theme was building around a young quarterback or adding a quarterback and the best way to go about helping that quarterback."

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Just sayin' guys:

Schefter's report comes a day after the Dallas Morning News' Michael Gehlken speculated Dallas would not retain Cooper in 2022. Due $20 million in guaranteed money, Cooper will probably be released before March 20. Neither team owner Jerry Jones nor his son, Stephen, have publicly supported Cooper after the Cowboys' devastating postseason loss to the 49ers. Outside of a handful of big statistical games over his three years in Dallas, Cooper never lived up to the dominant alpha wideout status the Joneses had expected when they acquired him. Cooper's release would likely mean the Cowboys are leaning toward re-signing Michael Gallup to be the team's No. 2 receiver behind CeeDee Lamb. Cooper's absence would leave about 25 percent of the team's targets vacated -- enough to fuel hopes for a true breakout campaign for Lamb in 2022. Cooper, meanwhile, could be a target hog if he lands in an offense without a true No. 1 receiver. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, derp said:

Joe Douglas:

"I think we always want to be financially flexible. We always want the opportunity to strike if the right opportunity presents itself."

"There is a little bit more certainty when you’re talking about the pro player market versus the draft market, so I think that’s why you see volatility in the draft. But, again, like I said earlier, if the right opportunity presents itself in the trade market, we’re ready to strike."

"You look at teams like Buffalo and you look at teams like the Rams, who obviously traded a lot of picks to get to where they were and so, I think the constant theme was building around a young quarterback or adding a quarterback and the best way to go about helping that quarterback."

Your smart enough to know that anything that comes out of anyones mouth at the scouting combine is worthless.

Im talking about listening to what he told you about how he wants to build this team.

I am trying to save you all the trouble of bitching and moaning when Davante Adams, Saquon Barkley, Allen Robinson, Amari Cooper etc are nowhere near this team after FA.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, CTJetsFan said:

Just sayin' guys:

Schefter's report comes a day after the Dallas Morning News' Michael Gehlken speculated Dallas would not retain Cooper in 2022. Due $20 million in guaranteed money, Cooper will probably be released before March 20. Neither team owner Jerry Jones nor his son, Stephen, have publicly supported Cooper after the Cowboys' devastating postseason loss to the 49ers. Outside of a handful of big statistical games over his three years in Dallas, Cooper never lived up to the dominant alpha wideout status the Joneses had expected when they acquired him. Cooper's release would likely mean the Cowboys are leaning toward re-signing Michael Gallup to be the team's No. 2 receiver behind CeeDee Lamb. Cooper's absence would leave about 25 percent of the team's targets vacated -- enough to fuel hopes for a true breakout campaign for Lamb in 2022. Cooper, meanwhile, could be a target hog if he lands in an offense without a true No. 1 receiver. 

He’s the best receiver they could possibly get including draft or free agency. Nobody is more talented than Cooper 

Man, if we could sign Njoku and Cooper with all of the cap space we have, it'll do so much for this team and the rest of the offseason:

1. Cooper is an elite route runner. This is huge for a young QB who needs to trust that his receivers are going to be where they should be.
  2. Cooper would instantly make the other WRs because he would automatically attract opposing CB1s. In cases of zone defense, Cooper can be moved around to take advantage.
  3. Having legit receiving threats such as Cooper, Njoku, and Moore makes the running game better because defenses aren't going to stack the box as frequently.
  4. These two signings would immediately and automatically open up the entire draft board. Screw it - go Edge on both #4 and #10 if it makes sense!
  5. This is why we've been cutting and carrying cap space for years. Moments like these. To help your young QB out. Don't get cheap, JD!
  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

Just now, varjet said:

The Cowboys must have some type of deal with Cooper.  I don't know why they just don't trade him for whatever they can get.  It would be much better to give up a pick for his contract than to have to give him a new one.  Something is up.

According to Sportrac his cap hit will be 22 million a year for next 3 years. Not sure if that changes if he is traded, but I would assume not. 

He is always dinged up. He plays 14-16 games a year, but he is always dealing with an injury or 2 and is going to be 28 next year. 

He averages about 1k/1.1K yards per year. Great in relation to what we see on the Jets, but generally nothing all that special. 

I would take him on the Jets but given all those factors I highly doubt he gets 3 years of guaranteed money at anything near 22 million a year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

First, Cooper will want to go to a contender, that’s not us just yet.

Second, he’ll cost 15-20 million 

third, he’s always injured, we got enough of them on our roster already 

Lastly , we can pick a top tier WR with one of our first four picks and have him “grow old” with Zach

hard, pass.

Always injured? He’s missed one game in 3 years 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

First, Cooper will want to go to a contender, that’s not us just yet.

Second, he’ll cost 15-20 million 

third, he’s always injured, we got enough of them on our roster already 

Lastly , we can pick a top tier WR with one of our first four picks and have him “grow old” with Zach

hard, pass.

Picking up Amari does not preclude us from drafting a WR. We can do both.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe Douglas will have 0 interest in an over priced player like Amari Cooper.  We have tons of draft picks for a reason and will be drafting a stud like Garrett Wilson at 10.

Please listen to what your GM is telling you and we can stop opening silly threads like this.

To be fair, JD did say that he will use the draft, FA and trades to improve this team.  

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Being injured and missing games are 2 different things.

Exactly. I give him credit for playing through injuries, but when he is limited during practice, needs to miss snaps during game to manage injuries is not an ideal profile for a player turning 28. The odds of him getting healthier as he approaches 30 is highly unlikely and it's more likely that he starts missing more and more games. 

It would be "Fun" to sign him, but not exactly the smartest move to make for this roster. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

No way does Cooper chose the Jets as his next destination. I just hope JD doesn't let the Jets be used when Cooper is negotiating his next deal with a legit contender.

Why not? I hope Cooper uses the Jets to get more money from another team. The more Cooper gets the less money that other team will have to spend on other players the Jets may want. 

11 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Man, if we could sign Njoku and Cooper with all of the cap space we have, it'll do so much for this team and the rest of the offseason:

1. Cooper is an elite route runner. This is huge for a young QB who needs to trust that his receivers are going to be where they should be.
  2. Cooper would instantly make the other WRs because he would automatically attract opposing CB1s. In cases of zone defense, Cooper can be moved around to take advantage.
  3. Having legit receiving threats such as Cooper, Njoku, and Moore makes the running game better because defenses aren't going to stack the box as frequently.
  4. These two signings would immediately and automatically open up the entire draft board. Screw it - go Edge on both #4 and #10 if it makes sense!
  5. This is why we've been cutting and carrying cap space for years. Moments like these. To help your young QB out. Don't get cheap, JD!

Completely agree with all but #4. We can get top tier OL and Edge in Round #1, such an improvement for the line on both sides of the ball.

This is not silly season stuff like Saquan or Devontae. There has been a buzz about Cooper's availability for months. Dallas is in a box. He's under contract for 3 years. The numbers are very affordable. If a 4th or 5th round pick gets a deal done, I would do it in a heartbeat. And I would still find a way to draft George Pickens!

• Upvote 1