Schefter: Cowboys Likey to Release Amari Cooper

Lith

10 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

The Cowboys have 55 guys under contract that they could cut.   They could not resign Schultz or several other players.   He isnt the only option to get under the cap.  They could trade guys for picks.  If he is all you think he is, why is he getting traded or cut where theyll have a cap hit?   Letting Schultz go saves them about the same amount.

They have other WRs.  They drafted a good one who’s on a rookie deal.  

They don’t have another TE.  
‘They want a TE for Dak

21 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Just checked

they had 8 wrs and 5 tes on their roster per CBS site

the other tes may not be as good as Schultz but the other wrs arent as good as Cooper either

He was there 4 seasons.

‘They’re over the cap by something like $28M.  He’s one of their 3 highest paid players 

‘They have good WRs and one really good TE who needs to be paid.

‘That’s all we need to know 

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Have people actually not watched this guy in his two bad years?

I find it funny at times with  our site.  Mention OBJ when he was out there and everyone hated him and hated the idea of going after him.

And yet we are lining up for this guy who is border line #1 in his good years and pretty lousy in his bad years.

The Jets should explore him if he gets cut but this is no slam dunk and no 'no brainer' as some are insisting.

OBJ was a distraction on both teams he played for.  His availability was scattered and his production was down while making top,dollar.  Then he and his father threw his QB under the bus as he did with Eli.

Coopers played 7 seasons, had over 1,000 yards 5 times.  Sometimes with bad QB play.  The two seasons he missed that number he was close, one in his third season.  Yet somehow some of you keep telling everyone he’s a boarderline #1.  As if it’s true and as if we have one.

‘How can anyone with a straight face claim his career isn’t as a 1 and that he wouldn’t immediately make our WR room and QB a hell of a lot better 

• Upvote 2

Summary of his contract details:

This year is the only potential out the Cowboys have.  If they don’t cut him by this March 16th the entire deal is guaranteed.  

10 million in signing bonus - if cut or traded the Cowboys will take a 6 million dead cap hit.  

If another team trades for Cooper, it’s 3 years at 20 million each season.  No more outs.  

Cowboys articles float the idea of them trading Cooper for Ridley.   That would take the 2 big trade targets off the market at once.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

This year is the only potential out the Cowboys have.  If they don’t cut him by this March 16th the entire deal is guaranteed.  

10 million in signing bonus - if cut or traded the Cowboys will take a 6 million dead cap hit.  

If another team trades for Cooper, it’s 3 years at 20 million each season.  No more outs.  

Cowboys articles float the idea of them trading Cooper for Ridley.   That would take the 2 big trade targets off the market at once.  

Atlanta would be nuts to do that. 

37 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

25 minutes ago, section314 said:

Atlanta would be nuts to do that. 

Cowboys articles are about as reliable as Vinny from Queens calling into WFAN.

"Hey, maybe we can get the rebuilding Falcons to take on a monster contract of an aging player that no one else wants while at the same time we convince the Falcons to give us Calvin Ridley instead of them trading him for picks."

Regardless, Cooper is not anyone's trade target, or at least he shouldn't be. He will be released and a team will get him without having to pay him a guaranteed 60 million over 3 years and without having to give up draft capital. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

"Hey, maybe we can get the rebuilding Falcons to take on a monster contract of an aging player that no one else wants while at the same time we convince the Falcons to give us Calvin Ridley instead of them trading him for picks."

Regardless, Cooper is not anyone's trade target, or at least he shouldn't be. He will be released and a team will get him without having to pay him a guaranteed 60 million over 3 years and without having to give up draft capital. 

Great line.LOL

1 hour ago, Hal N of Provo said:

44 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I believe that his 2022 salary is guaranteed as of 3/20 but I can't see anywhere that says if he's not cut by that point that his final two years become guaranteed as well. I think it's basically just a series of $20M options with no cap hit if he's cut early in the league year. If that's the case it's much more team friendly and different than if two more years of guarantees kick in at this point.

Not sure I recall an NFL contract that'd add $60M in guarantees after a few years. If that was his structure it would've almost been a guarantee he'd be cut this offseason regardless of how good he is - that's crazy to guarantee for that long of a stretch.

All that being said if a team doesn't want him for a series of $20M options on what's a pretty team friendly deal his market is probably going to be relatively soft. If that's the structure it's effectively how Douglas does deals. Hit FA before 30 with little guaranteed money after the first year. 

1 hour ago, derp said:

I believe that his 2022 salary is guaranteed as of 3/20 but I can't see anywhere that says if he's not cut by that point that his final two years become guaranteed as well. I think it's basically just a series of $20M options with no cap hit if he's cut early in the league year. If that's the case it's much more team friendly and different than if two more years of guarantees kick in at this point.

Not sure I recall an NFL contract that'd add $60M in guarantees after a few years. If that was his structure it would've almost been a guarantee he'd be cut this offseason regardless of how good he is - that's crazy to guarantee for that long of a stretch.

All that being said if a team doesn't want him for a series of $20M options on what's a pretty team friendly deal his market is probably going to be relatively soft. If that's the structure it's effectively how Douglas does deals. Hit FA before 30 with little guaranteed money after the first year. 

This is my understanding as well. For a late round draft pick I would be happy to pay him Woody's $ one year at a time.

It’s a one time cut option… I’d trade to keep him off the market for the record.  Cooper is well worth the risk. 

The article said he has to be cut by the 16th if they are going to cut him.  

08DB7AF7-23A6-465F-8AC4-A4B3693F8125.jpeg

Note about a trade with ATL made me laugh.  That would screw the off-season trade option.  

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

It’s a one time cut option… I’d trade to keep him off the market for the record.  Cooper is well worth the risk. 

The article said he has to be cut by the 16th if they are going to cut him.  

08DB7AF7-23A6-465F-8AC4-A4B3693F8125.jpeg

Note about a trade with ATL made me laugh.  That would screw the off-season trade option.  

That's not what the image you shared shows.  If his next 3 years are fully guaranteed the dead money in 2023 and 2024 would match his base salary and they don't.  The guarantees must trigger after the 3rd or 4th day of each new year which makes him cuttable each year.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Wut?  lol

109 catches, 1500 yards and 14 tds in 2015

He put up numbers Amari Cooper could only dream of.

yes but he really didn't have such a great pass reception % and was on the downside of his career.  he was a no. 1 with denver.

On 3/6/2022 at 8:56 AM, Jet Nut said:

They have other WRs.  They drafted a good one who’s on a rookie deal.  

They don’t have another TE.  
‘They want a TE for Dak

I was holding out hope that the Cowboys would let Schultz go because they were high on Jarwin, but he is now dealing with another injury so that pretty much ended all hope of Schultz shaking free. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yes but he really didn't have such a great pass reception % and was on the downside of his career.  he was a no. 1 with denver.

His second year here, but his first year here he was at 63% which is pretty good. Wish we had him in his prime.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, choon328 said:

That's not what the image you shared shows.  If his next 3 years are fully guaranteed the dead money in 2023 and 2024 would match his base salary and they don't.  The guarantees must trigger after the 3rd or 4th day of each new year which makes him cuttable each year.

So they write it out randomly sometimes?  I don’t get that because you see it at different times for players.

I still think I’m right but I can be convinced lol 

48 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

So they write it out randomly sometimes?  I don’t get that because you see it at different times for players.

I still think I’m right but I can be convinced lol 

I don't think they had an out before, because the first two years were fully guaranteed. He signed a 5 year, $100M deal with $40M fully guaranteed. That $40M guaranteed was the first two years of the deal, so they wouldn't have gotten any savings from cutting him last year because the money was already guaranteed. His next $20M for this year becomes fully guaranteed on March 20, but they'd want to cut him before that so they know what they're working with at the start of the league year - and I'm sure it's just best practice to release a guy early so he can enter the market before teams have spent all their money. Imagine waiting wouldn't endear them to agents, etc.

Given they only guaranteed him $40M at signing it'd be insane for them to guarantee him $60M over the last three years of his contract if he's on the roster by a certain date. Teams want outs for injuries, production changes, all kinds of reasons. They'd just rather pay Schultz, Gallup, and Wilson $25M or whatever it'll cost to keep those three than pay Cooper $20M and lose two of those guys.

30 minutes ago, derp said:

I don't think they had an out before, because the first two years were fully guaranteed. He signed a 5 year, $100M deal with $40M fully guaranteed. That $40M guaranteed was the first two years of the deal, so they wouldn't have gotten any savings from cutting him last year because the money was already guaranteed. His next $20M for this year becomes fully guaranteed on March 20, but they'd want to cut him before that so they know what they're working with at the start of the league year - and I'm sure it's just best practice to release a guy early so he can enter the market before teams have spent all their money. Imagine waiting wouldn't endear them to agents, etc.

Given they only guaranteed him $40M at signing it'd be insane for them to guarantee him $60M over the last three years of his contract if he's on the roster by a certain date. Teams want outs for injuries, production changes, all kinds of reasons. They'd just rather pay Schultz, Gallup, and Wilson $25M or whatever it'll cost to keep those three than pay Cooper $20M and lose two of those guys.

When you look at players on that site, it announces when the team has an out.  The Cowboys like to have an out early in the contract, just in case.

Based on what I read, the last of the 60 million becomes fully guaranteed if they don’t cut him this season.  This is their one and only out.   The dead money in spreadsheet just means how much they need to pay and what the cap hit is.  

The Jets should jump at it.  The timing is perfect. 

41 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

When you look at players on that site, it announces when the team has an out.  The Cowboys like to have an out early in the contract, just in case.

Based on what I read, the last of the 60 million becomes fully guaranteed if they don’t cut him this season.  This is their one and only out.   The dead money in spreadsheet just means how much they need to pay and what the cap hit is.  

The Jets should jump at it.  The timing is perfect. 

Again, I don’t know where you read that but I’ve never seen a contract structured that way and it makes no sense from the team’s standpoint to structure a deal that way. Everything I’ve read says his 2022 salary is guaranteed that date. I think you’re taking a leap that the rest is guaranteed based on the formatting of a website.

Ex-Jets Scout Urges New York to Pass On Amari Cooper

This former Jets scout says New York should steer clear from Amari Cooper if he hits the open market this offseason.

DANIEL KELLY

Watching Amari Cooper on game film in 2021 was like watching snow melt. 

He looked average in every sense of the word, and he looked like his best days are clearly behind him. 

Back when I was in the pro scouting department with the Jets, we had a grading system indicating if players were getting better, worse or if they stayed the same. There was either an arrow going up, an arrow going down or an arrow going sideways next to the grade. 

Cooper would now have an arrow going down in that grading system I worked with. 

With the possibility looming the Dallas Cowboys’ may soon release Cooper, Jets’ media seems to be all in favor of the team signing Cooper.

I stand alone and say Cooper is a hard pass

In 2021, Cooper caught 68 passes (104 targets) for 865 yards and eight touchdowns. 

Two things jump out about his stats, the catches to targeted ratio and the number of touchdowns.

Cooper is not sure handed and he has an average catch radius (ability to catch passes that are are not thrown accurately). Cooper additionally has noticeable rigidity in his body movement, that makes adjusting to passes thrown behind him next to impossible.

Some will point to his eight touchdowns, which was tied for No. 16 in the league, but that was not without concern either. 

On game film, Cooper turned it on near the end zone, but between the 20’s, he was a lazy route runner who tended not to pick up additional yardage after catches. 

Given the Ridley fallout, I would assume Miami will be the favorites for Amari Cooper. 

The Dolphins (along with the Jets) were among the teams who made an offer for Ridley. With him out of the picture, Amari fits into their plans like a glove. Jets are going to have to get creative if they're going to improve the skill positions pre-draft 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, football guy said:

Given the Ridley fallout, I would assume Miami will be the favorites for Amari Cooper. 

The Dolphins (along with the Jets) were among the teams who made an offer for Ridley. With him out of the picture, Amari fits into their plans like a glove. Jets are going to have to get creative if they're going to improve the skill positions pre-draft 

If Dallas tag Schultz we're kinda ****ed, Allen Robinson seems like the only guy that would come here

4 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

If Dallas tag Schultz we're kinda ****ed, Allen Robinson seems like the only guy that would come here

I don’t know why Robinson would come to the Jets to try to rebuild his value after being stuck dealing with inconsistent quarterback play.

8 minutes ago, derp said:

I don’t know why Robinson would come to the Jets to try to rebuild his value after being stuck dealing with inconsistent quarterback play.

Who knows right? All the shenanigans in twitter last year gave the impression that he's a Saleh fan, just don't know if he's the perfect match, older and isn't much of a deep threat